PG&E owes us answers

PG&E owes us answers

There are 11 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Sep 15, 2010, titled PG&E owes us answers. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

Pacific Gas and Electric Co. has 6,438 miles of major high-pressure transmission lines like the one that exploded last week in San Bruno, leveling a neighborhood and killing and injuring many of its residents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

Glenn from Vallejo

Fremont, CA

#1 Sep 15, 2010
Easy to focus on [email protected] as the villian here isn,t it. Not so fast. Just saw a news story this morning. 62 emails received by citizens in the community in San Bruno. Only one confirmed actually smaelling gas in the day and weeks prior to the explosion. How about investigating independant contractors who put in sewer lines right over [email protected] underground power lines. [email protected] actually is paying to help people who lost their homes/property in this horrific tradgedy.
GEE

Palo Alto, CA

#2 Sep 15, 2010
Glenn from Vallejo wrote:
Easy to focus on [email protected] as the villian here isn,t it. Not so fast. Just saw a news story this morning. 62 emails received by citizens in the community in San Bruno. Only one confirmed actually smaelling gas in the day and weeks prior to the explosion. How about investigating independant contractors who put in sewer lines right over [email protected] underground power lines. [email protected] actually is paying to help people who lost their homes/property in this horrific tradgedy.
I agree with you. In the San Bruno case, PG&E is the owner of the pipeline and after a call records check, from all those who now recall smelling gas, ONE person actually found the smell alarming enough to pick up the phone and call it in. Sounds about right to me! This horrific incident should remind us all to get involved, as our life may depend on it!

According to news reports, the pipeline was laid when the area was lightly populated, which in my mind means the city of San Bruno allowed building to take place over and directly besides the pipeline, without a buffer zone. The same scenario found throughout the Bay Area.

Aside from the transmission lines, how many of us have observed repairwork being performed by various contractors who gave you the "are these people really qualified" kind of feeling when they dig "IN" our neighborhoods?
Citizen

Vallejo, CA

#3 Sep 15, 2010
Glenn from Vallejo wrote:
PG&E's PR campaign following this tragedy has been admirable, but behind the scenes, they are lobbying to get the ratepayers to pay for catastrophic failures such as the one in San Bruno. The questionable pipelines in Fremont and Livermore would cost $13m and $26m to repair. That's not even the amount of money that they spent last spring to fight for a failed ballot initiative that would have given them more power and less to communities and the public. Public utilities need to get OUT of lobbying and politics and get back to performing their duties to the ratepayers. They didn't do their jobs and now they want the public to pay for it. Bullsh*&!
Citizen

Vallejo, CA

#4 Sep 15, 2010
GEE wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. In the San Bruno case, PG&E is the owner of the pipeline and after a call records check, from all those who now recall smelling gas, ONE person actually found the smell alarming enough to pick up the phone and call it in. Sounds about right to me! This horrific incident should remind us all to get involved, as our life may depend on it!
According to news reports, the pipeline was laid when the area was lightly populated, which in my mind means the city of San Bruno allowed building to take place over and directly besides the pipeline, without a buffer zone. The same scenario found throughout the Bay Area.
Aside from the transmission lines, how many of us have observed repairwork being performed by various contractors who gave you the "are these people really qualified" kind of feeling when they dig "IN" our neighborhoods?
Did you see the scope of the devastation? If San Bruno didn't allow building around the pipeline and other cities did the same, then all that land would be rendered useless "in case" PG&E dropped the ball. They didn't maintain the pipeline. They had it on their list but didn't get to it and as for the smell of gas, the NTSB said this morning that if only one person smelled gas it could have come from a different source because the pipeline had all the markings of a "catastrophic failure". If there had been a leak, the damage would have been different. So if you find out there's a pipeline under your house are you going to demand that your community reimburse you because they let the builders build on top? Those lines are everywhere. PG&E chose to put it's money into politics rather than safety and maintenance plain and simple and now they want YOU to pay for their lack of judgment.
GEE

Palo Alto, CA

#5 Sep 15, 2010
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Did you see the scope of the devastation? If San Bruno didn't allow building around the pipeline and other cities did the same, then all that land would be rendered useless "in case" PG&E dropped the ball. They didn't maintain the pipeline. They had it on their list but didn't get to it and as for the smell of gas, the NTSB said this morning that if only one person smelled gas it could have come from a different source because the pipeline had all the markings of a "catastrophic failure". If there had been a leak, the damage would have been different. So if you find out there's a pipeline under your house are you going to demand that your community reimburse you because they let the builders build on top? Those lines are everywhere. PG&E chose to put it's money into politics rather than safety and maintenance plain and simple and now they want YOU to pay for their lack of judgment.
I really do not know what your position is! Are you blaming PG&E for having a pipeline that PRE DATES any type of development on top of it or are you crying that a buffer zone would be rendered "useless property"?

Ask those that went through this inferno! Would they have preferred to know that they were sitting on top of a pipeline that had a "now" known catastrophic failure rating, or would they have preferred to have a buffer zone between the transmission line and their homes?

I, unfortunately, am sitting next to a transmission line, as are many unknowing Vallejo residents. Am I going to try to sell my now even further depleted in value home and demand that PG&E reimburse me for being uninformed about the gas transmission line running on top or next to it? Of course I can not demand that. I can only hope that PG&E has maintained the line to the best of their ability. They seem to step up to the table by setting aside 100 million for the victims.

When this money runs out do I want to chip in? No, I am not a shareholder but a customer who usually does not contribute when a business goes belly up.
Obviously nothing can be done about homes straddling any transmission line at this point.
As one victim said when asked if he would rebuild in the same location: Yes, I would, but only if the gas transmission line is moved!
ValleyJoe

Fresno, CA

#6 Sep 15, 2010
I think you are actually suppose to read those disclosures when you pay for a title search and so on in escrow. Be glad you aren't ( I hope) living in Benicia with all those high octane lines from that refinery running under things. Such a shame Solano Co. ever got into that business: would have been better for the other side to have kept all that crap. Yeah, I know, the revenue. I hear Richmond is paying the price.

Since: Feb 09

Vacaville, CA

#7 Sep 16, 2010
First of all, there must be NO fines of PG&E for the San Bruno fiasco. Fines applied to PG&E are nothing other than a tax on Californians. Companies don't pay fines, their customers do. Every fine on a business is just punishing everyone else OTHER THAN the company, which just passes the cost along, eventually, in higher rates, higher tariffs, higher prices.
Straight Truth

San Francisco, CA

#8 Sep 16, 2010
You may want to tread lightly.

At the present time we dont even know the cause.

How are you going to react if the final cause of the accident was some
sewer workers working only feet from the failure.

You are going to feel really silly (to put it politely)

I love people who jump to conclusions only to be made to look the part of a fool once the facts are out.
Nancy

Oakland, CA

#9 Sep 17, 2010
Sounds good! Just don't raise my rates. They're to high already.

In related news, but under reported. Those who take advantage of disasters...

-San Bruno: 4 suspected of posing as victims
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, September 16, 2010

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...
Nancy

Oakland, CA

#10 Sep 17, 2010
tramky wrote:
First of all, there must be NO fines of PG&E for the San Bruno fiasco. Fines applied to PG&E are nothing other than a tax on Californians. Companies don't pay fines, their customers do. Every fine on a business is just punishing everyone else OTHER THAN the company, which just passes the cost along, eventually, in higher rates, higher tariffs, higher prices.
Spot on! Good point. The wolves, who never let a good crisis go to waste, are all around us.
milo

San Francisco, CA

#11 Jun 17, 2012
The CEO of PG&E, Tony Earley, will be filming a commercial on
the streets of San Mateo, less than 10 miles from the site of the
San Bruno explosion.
Intersection of 31st Ave and Fairoaks Court, San Mateo, 94403.

Monday, Jun 18, 2012, 8am - 11am.

He will be out in the public. This might be a golden opportunity
for victims of the explosion to confront Mr. Earley and get
their questions answered. Can you pass this information along
to them?

I apologize for the short notice. You can see the No Parking signs
posted if you go to 31st and Fairoaks in San Bruno. that is for
the filming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pacific Gas and Electric Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nuclear power divides California's environmenta... 3 hr Solarman 1
News Why home solar panels no longer pay in some sta... Aug 14 Steam111 2
News The Latest: Land officials OK closing nuclear s... Jul '16 warrengraham 2
News Californiaa s biggest utilities break own recor... Jul '16 Solarman 1
News Marin Clean Energy to cut electricity rates abo... Jun '16 Solarman 1
News End of California nuclear era: Last plant to cl... Jun '16 Solarman 1
News Newly found blood vials allow for funeral of 9/... Jun '16 tip of iceberg 1
More from around the web