Pep Boys cuts jobs, shuts stores as it reports wider loss

Full story: The Morning Call

Pep Boys - Manny, Moe & Jack reported a wider third-quarter loss late Tuesday and announced that it had cut approximately 550 jobs and closed 31 stores as part of a five-year restructuring plan.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jason

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Their customer service in Whitehall is awful. Nice guys, but sloooowwwwww. I used to go there for inspections and you could be the 2nd person in line and it will still take you 30 minutes to get out of there. The T.V., in the 'waiting area' was a 12" thing that must've been about 15 years old and using over the air reception, cause it was all static, lol. What a joke.
Jim

Elkridge, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

This doesn't suprise me. The last time I went to Pep Boys for service was because I had busted off one of the 2 bolt heads on the thermostat housing. They told me that they'd have to replace the whole housing, that they couldn't get the remainder of the bolt out. When I questioned...."you mean to tell me that with all of your expertise and tools that you cannot get that one bolt out"? They stuck to their story. I felt I was ripped off and have never gone there again. Another example is that my elderly neighbor was charged $300 to replace the starter in his 5 year old Toyoto. And how about all the rebate hoops that you have to jump through? Sell the product at the rebate price and maybe you'll sell more products. I know they count on you either not sending in the rebate or just plain losing it.

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

When I need parts (Dodge Truck), all I have to do is call Rothrock, and give them my credit-card.

The correct parts (they have my VIN) are there the next day, and I can pick them up the following day.

The prices are competitive with any junk you can find on eBay.

They are then either happy to close the sale for a DIY'er, or schedule an install, for a very nominal labor fee.

If all you need is oil, filters, wiper-blades, floor-mats, etc., go ahead.
Ollie North

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Ever since they took away Manny's cigar it's been downhill!
Do it yourselfer

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

The Whitehall store is a shame. Stuff is never put away. You can't even push a cart down the aisle. Then their rebate scam is another issue. Everytime I send for a rebate they short me on the amount I am to receive. After about 3-4 calls they get it straight but it takes another 8 weeks to get your money. This has happened to me 4 times and my coworker twice. I am sure it is not a accident. They figure most people won't wwaste their time for a few dollars.!! Only thing to buy there is oil and filters. Pretty hard to screw that up. Except for the rebate.
Mary

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

So who gets a pay cut? Manny, Moe or Jack?
Mr Bobby

Macungie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Good. I hope the Whitehall store closes too. Their customer service is awful. There are a few guys here and there that are ok. But in general, that store is horrible to deal with.
Manny who

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

I did not see any Manny, Moe's or Larry's.

There were only Juan's, Jorge and Cisco's.

The only English they knew was the amount on the cash bills they collected for a job not well done.

Since: Mar 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Mr Bobby wrote:
Good. I hope the Whitehall store closes too. Their customer service is awful. There are a few guys here and there that are ok. But in general, that store is horrible to deal with.

Agreed !!!
Too many pimple-faced kids that don't know anything about cars !!!
in need

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

where is the service good and not a rip-off and please don't say Strauss Auto on Steko Blvd. because they are rip-off artists too!!!!
Staberdearth

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Haywood Javote wrote:
I will say that I am disappointed with the availability of parts at Pep Boys. Stuff they say they cannot even order there I can find on the shelf over at Advance Auto, Autozone, or National Auto.
Hmm, this must be a recent occurrance. Sad to say (nah not really...), after buying a foreigh car iu don't much have to go to these aftermarket guys that much, nothing seems to breakdown... It was always my experience that if you wanted anything automotive and you wnated if fast, yu'd go to Pep Boys. The other guys seemed to be stocking key chains, air fresheners and miscellaneous doo dads and you always had to wait for stuff to be delivered. This has obviously changed and maybe why Pep Boys is feeling the pinch of competition.

I do observe that these auto stores have lost their deep expertise, some of the young 'un's there know who to install tuner add-ons nothing more...as for their sociability? A bit too much time in life in front of the video game screen...very poor engagement manners.
Tom

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Do it yourselfer wrote:
The Whitehall store is a shame. Stuff is never put away. You can't even push a cart down the aisle. Then their rebate scam is another issue. Everytime I send for a rebate they short me on the amount I am to receive. After about 3-4 calls they get it straight but it takes another 8 weeks to get your money. This has happened to me 4 times and my coworker twice. I am sure it is not a accident. They figure most people won't wwaste their time for a few dollars.!! Only thing to buy there is oil and filters. Pretty hard to screw that up. Except for the rebate.
Gotta agree with you there! I always take advantage of their rebates but you are correct when you state that they count on you not filing them. Every single time I send one of Pep Boys rebates I get their stupid little post card saying I was missing either the UPC or the receipt or something else. I know for a fact that my rebates are always complete. I call them and they just say "okay we'll get it out to you". They know da_ well that it was complete they were just hoping I wouldn't follow-up with the phone call.
This past summer I was at the MaCarther Rd. store when a customer tossed a lit cigarette butt into the dried bushes in the front of the store. The bush immediately erupted into flame. I ran into the garage area and asked the service techs. to bring their fire extinguishers because their bushes were burning. They wouldn't budge, they were sitting on their upside down buckets eating lunch. I called the fire dept. with my cell phone. Whitehall F.D.came and extinguished the blaze with their hoses. What a waste of money for the truck to come and possible tragedy because these lazy ass__ wouldn't get up to use their extinguisher. I have no sympathy if they lose their jobs.
John

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

This doesn't surprise me. Whenever I've gone to the Pep
Boys for aftermarket auto supplies, they are either out of
stock or no longer available. I've found that competitors
such as Advance Auto Parts seem to be a much more
reliable aftermarket auto parts store to deal with.
Bethlehem Resident

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

in need wrote:
where is the service good and not a rip-off and please don't say Strauss Auto on Steko Blvd. because they are rip-off artists too!!!!
Go to the ABE service center (Lukoil Station) on Catasauqua Road next to CVS. I live less than a mile from there and have bought gas there several times but had never used their service as I had always taken my vehicles to the dealer. Several weeks ago I took my son's Ford Ranger there for an oil change. I had an 8:30 app't and was out in less than 45 minutes. While the truck was in the garage I asked that they check the belts and hoses. The hoses were loose and leaking coolant. They tightened the hoses and showed me that the serpentine belt was beginning to crack. I made an 8:00 AM app't for the following Sat. When I arrived, they had the belt on the workbench ready for installation. I was out within 30 minutes and the price was extremely competitive. Last Friday, my wife's Malibu was making a squealing noise. I took it over and after Brian (the service manager and head mechanic) road tested it he felt it was the front brakes but said I should drop it off so he could pull the wheels to confirm. I made an app't for the following Tuesday. I dropped it off Monday night The next day at about 10:30 I received a call telling me it was the brakes. They gave me prices on basic and upgraded parts. I was told my vehicle would be ready by 1:00 PM. I went to pick it up. The vehicle was ready and the bill was for the exact amount they quoted. They are honest and great mechanics.

“Be careful what u pretend 2 B”

Since: Jun 07

Lehigh Valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

I guess they've lost their pep
Joe Blow

Pennsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

You're exactly right. I was in the Whitehall store over the summer. Not only could you barely even walk down the aisles due to random items strewn about, they were completely sold out of two brands of 10-30 oil which is probably the most common type.

The Quakertown store is a little better though.
Do it yourselfer wrote:
Wilson

Princeton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Dennis, talking about pimple-faced kids who know nothing about cars, here in the Harrisburg area I went into a Radio Shack and asked this young kid salesman for a ground rod. He looked at me as if I was from outer space and asked, "What's a ground rod?" I was shocked that he did not know what it was. After explaining to him what it was, he began to look around in their show room and I told him I had bought one there the other year and they always kept them in the back room so he went back there and sure enough, he found one. Over the years, I learned that Radio Shack sales people know absolutely nothing about the products that are in their store. There are there to sell only. They have no technical background regarding electronics in any way. It's a shame these people are not trained in some way to know what they are selling.
Tom

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Wilson wrote:
Dennis, talking about pimple-faced kids who know nothing about cars, here in the Harrisburg area I went into a Radio Shack and asked this young kid salesman for a ground rod. He looked at me as if I was from outer space and asked, "What's a ground rod?" I was shocked that he did not know what it was. After explaining to him what it was, he began to look around in their show room and I told him I had bought one there the other year and they always kept them in the back room so he went back there and sure enough, he found one. Over the years, I learned that Radio Shack sales people know absolutely nothing about the products that are in their store. There are there to sell only. They have no technical background regarding electronics in any way. It's a shame these people are not trained in some way to know what they are selling.
What the he__ are you talking about??? I thought this discussion was about Pep Boys not Radio Schack! RIGHT CHURCH, WRONG PEW!!!
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2007

They have a horrible web site.
PreserveHistory

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2007

Wilson wrote:
Perhaps you should work there, if you have the experience and competence.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pep Boys Manny Moe and Jack Discussions

Search the Pep Boys Manny Moe and Jack Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Auto Parts Retailers Dismantled (Aug '06) Apr '13 Rowland-Kenrick 36
Walgreen Company (WAG): Today's Featured Servic... (May '12) Jun '12 Diane 2
This family business with a twist (Jul '11) Oct '11 cancer society 8
Pep Boys Celebrates 90 Year Anniversary (Jul '11) Sep '11 modern art 3
Nightmare at Pep Boys (Mar '07) Dec '10 James 4
Retail Auto Parts Warranties: While many of the... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Auto Part Index 1
A tip of the cowboy hat to Bob's Big Boy (Nov '09) Dec '09 what 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••