Feds: Halt Whole Foods, Wild Oats merger

Feds: Halt Whole Foods, Wild Oats merger

There are 8 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Jan 12, 2009, titled Feds: Halt Whole Foods, Wild Oats merger. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

PORTLAND, Ore. a ' The Federal Trade Commission on Monday asked a federal judge to halt the integration of Wild Oats and Whole Foods Market as part of an ongoing legal battle over the 2007 deal that combined ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Frank Ettenberg

Vienna, Austria

#1 Jan 13, 2009
It would be instructive to here more from Wild Oats regarding the merger. Maybe that info's to be had.
Maybe Wild Oats needs to play their cards close to
the chest. I should think they'd want to hold onto
their own business, if they had their druthers.
Unfortunately I'm not in the position to be entirely in the know regarding local events...since I do live abroad.

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Jan 13, 2009
I agree: it's too late to disentangle the two businesses now, so the FTC's request is absurd. As for the "monopoly" aspect, the former founder of Wild Oats has started a new chain of stores, the Sunflower Farmer's Markets, so it's not as if Whole Foods is the only game in town.
Jabir 22

Dallas, TX

#4 Jan 13, 2009
The FTC is attacking Whole Foods because it's one of the few companies on this planet that isn't owned by the mafia banking cartel, i.e. the Federal Reserve and the mafia federal government. That's what the issue is. The FTC is strong arming Whole Foods because they want control of them too as they have control of the majority of the corporations in this country and abroad creating global force. I would say power but it's not really power, it's force.(See Corporatism, the Secret Government of the New World Order by Jeffrey Grupp.)

Whole Foods is one of the few companies left in this country with any integrity and honor. John Mackey is one of the most brilliant and innovative men on this planet. If all companies operated based on the philosophies of John Mackey, they would be prosperous in all ways, including the treatment of the employees. More people would enjoy going to work and would want to genuinely produce for and support the company they work with. I urge you to read John Mackey's blog at Whole Foods Market.com . He lives his mission. He doesn't just talk it. Their mission is service to others. I know that to be a fact because I have shopped at Whole Foods since the 80's and that company has always lived up to that.

The FTC might want to consider going after the phone companies. Verizon and AT&T are buying all the small companies. The FTC just approved another one. They just approved Verizon buying Alltel. That's a monopoly. Soon those will be the only two companies left to buy cell phone service from. And both of those companies are very abusive to their employees. AT&T is listed in Grupp's book mentioned above as one of the "massive monopolistic corporations of the world." And Verizon was listed, a couple years ago, as one of the five worst companies to work for.

Also, the phone companies that serve the prison systems are nothing but monopolistic and are and have been raking in billions of dollars for years from inmates' families. Are you getting a cut of that too Gov. Richardson?

“You probably already know me.”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

#5 Jan 13, 2009
This reeks of what happened with the Sirius/XM merger, that took what, 2 years to be approved? And meanwhile the oil companies and banks get free reign? Absurd!
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jan 13, 2009
P_Katz wrote:
I agree: it's too late to disentangle the two businesses now, so the FTC's request is absurd. As for the "monopoly" aspect, the former founder of Wild Oats has started a new chain of stores, the Sunflower Farmer's Markets, so it's not as if Whole Foods is the only game in town.
Except that we don't have a Sunflower Mkt. yet. Last I heard it's supposed to go in at the Zaffarano center. Anybody know if this is still a go?
answer

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 Jan 19, 2009
KD Murphy wrote:
<quoted text>Except that we don't have a Sunflower Mkt. yet. Last I heard it's supposed to go in at the Zaffarano center. Anybody know if this is still a go?
Zafarano AND Guadalupe in the old Albertsons at DeVargas
Chris

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#8 Jan 19, 2009
I'd like people to go back and read post #4 by Jabir22. Given the history of what's gone on here on the internet there is no reason I know of for me to believe that it wasn't written by Mr. Mackey himself! There's a real reason the FTC has gone after this company.
Stuart

Austin, TX

#10 Jan 20, 2009
This is a great example of the government hurting business. Goodness! A monopoly on grocery "natural" foods??? Get out of a great American Company's way for crying out loud!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wild Oats Markets Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Budding produce store (Aug '09) Aug '09 PC Chavez 42
News West Hartford Whole Foods Store At Bishops Corn... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Whoa 23
News West Hartford Whole Foods (Mar '09) Mar '09 Raucous 52
News Local Wild Oats store up for sale (Mar '09) Mar '09 Peaches from Sant... 20
News Whole Foods, FTC agree on Wild Oats settlement (Mar '09) Mar '09 Justin Klomp 1
News Whole Foods plans to sell 13 stores in settleme... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Kinder and Gentle... 2
News Whole Foods settles with Federal Trade Commissi... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Kinder and Gentle... 1
More from around the web