Gas Prices Rise to New National Record

Gas Prices Rise to New National Record

There are 369 comments on the biz.yahoo.com story from Mar 11, 2008, titled Gas Prices Rise to New National Record. In it, biz.yahoo.com reports that:

The cost of filling up the family car climbed to a record high Tuesday, adding to the challenges consumers already face with falling home values and rising food prices.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at biz.yahoo.com.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
speed buggy

Cumberland City, TN

#1 Mar 11, 2008
The US dollar is in the dumps. If it keeps on tanking then crude will just keep going up because they have to charge more for crude to get the same value they were getting previously because of a devalued dollar.

I don't see any way to pump up the dollar so this is going to get rather nasty in the months to come.

“Dropped on head as child”

Since: Dec 06

Athens, Ga

#2 Mar 11, 2008
Cheney is headed to Saudi Arabia to see if he can jack up oil to $150 a bbl.
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

#3 Mar 11, 2008
High gas prices are a real pain for sure, but they are ushering in a new age of Battery, Fuel Cell, and Hybrid automobiles. Not to mention on site home power generation units.

“It's my POV!”

Since: Feb 08

Winder, Ga

#4 Mar 11, 2008
The way I figure it the cost of oil is going to be the down fall of the US economy.
Here is how I get there. The oil companies know that US citizens will pay just about anything for a gallon of gas, we depend on gas to do everything, go to work, buy groceries at the store, shop, take the kids to school, etc. So the oil companies keep jacking up the price of a barrel. Now it costs the government more to purchase the oil to refine it into gasoline. Now they have to charge the gas station owners more to keep making a profit. Which in turn means higher prices at the pump so that gas station owners can make a profit. It all comes down tot he cost of oil and those who control the oil wanting to make as much money as possible.
But soon the prices are going to be too high on everything, except paychecks for the average citizen. Buisness will not give employees cost of living raises because they want to maintain their profits, which are going down due tot he cost to transport goods in ways that use gasoline and oil. Eventually people will stop buying gas, without which they will not go to work, buy grocieries, shop other places, or get their kids to school. When you don't go to work you loose your job. Loose your job unemployment goes up.

Can you see where this is headed another depression. It is the governement that controls the cost of oil, and it is also the government that is telling you the economy is okay......

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#5 Mar 11, 2008
Of course this is all Bush's fault right? Yeah. I thought so.
anf hiker

Butler, PA

#6 Mar 11, 2008
Bulky Nantuck wrote:
Shut up you Bush lovin retard.
Put your bush blinders back on..sheeple !

You repukes ruined your own party.
Now Sit back and watch it implode.
I'm surprised you didn't blame it on clintons
bj. Of course you A-holes will degrade the next
Democratic president for not being able to fix
Baby bush's fuggin mess
Jeff Donowick

Deposit, NY

#7 Mar 11, 2008
Why would government and the oil companies want to lower gas prices? They like the money and don't care about the Americain people. As long as thier pockets are full of money everything is fine to them. It's to bad for the rest of us. we will be out of a job and they will still have thier money!

“It's about the American People”

Since: Jun 07

Flushing, NY

#8 Mar 11, 2008
Gasoline prices can go through the roof if US will not push forward to use its own oil resources like the abundant oil in ANWR and in addition US can use other energy resources like gas, oil shale and coal that can be easily converted to automotive fuel for half the cost of imported crude oil and for hundreds of year to come.
Nevertheless, OPEC 'senses' the 'panic' of the American people with the high oil price and the dependency of US on imported oil from Islamic terrorist supporting countries. Clearly, OPEC will keep increasing the oil price to $200 for oil barrel as long as US dependency on OPEC will go up but will drop the price to $60 for oil barrel if US will start to use its own oil in ANWR and in US waters and will convert other energy resources like coal and oil shale to automotive fuel.
Furthermore, OPEC will not stop the increase in oil price until it will reach $200 dollar a barrel and then OPEC will stop completely any selling oil to US as part of the efforts of OPEC to weaken the US and make US surrender to Iran and the Islamic terrorists.
Increasing oil price by OPEC, Russia, Iran, and Venezuela is the easiest way of the worst enemies of the US including the Islamic terrorists sponsored regimes of Iran and Saudi Arabia to defeat US economy following a defeat of US troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and all over the Middle East.
The enemies of US realized that it is easy to destroy the 'oil-drunk' American economy that cannot go on even one more day without huge amount of imported fuel. It is time for US Congress under the delusional Dems to allow US enterprises to invest in drilling oil in US and allow converting oil shale, gas, and coal to automotive fuel.
Since 1995 Bill Clinton’s veto on ANWR and Congress resolutions against any US oil, gas, oil shale, and coal resources conversion to automotive fuel, the Islamic terrorists discovered that US is 'a paper tiger' with economy that depends on the Islamic terrorist suicide bombers supporting countries and that US foreign policy in the Middle East is dictated by no other than Saudi King Abdullah which is unprecedented.
US lost its independence in 1995 when Bill Clinton decided to spend trillions of dollars on purchasing oil from the Islamic terrorist supporting countries and now the war in Iraq and Afghanistan may be lost to Iran and the Islamic terrorist suicide bombers only because of US economy weakness, weak US dollar and no money for the military operations in the Middle East.
Wacko Ron Paul supporter

Henderson, NV

#9 Mar 11, 2008
BethW wrote:
The way I figure it the cost of oil is going to be the down fall of the US economy.
Here is how I get there. The oil companies know that US citizens will pay just about anything for a gallon of gas, we depend on gas to do everything, go to work, buy groceries at the store, shop, take the kids to school, etc. So the oil companies keep jacking up the price of a barrel. Now it costs the government more to purchase the oil to refine it into gasoline. Now they have to charge the gas station owners more to keep making a profit. Which in turn means higher prices at the pump so that gas station owners can make a profit. It all comes down tot he cost of oil and those who control the oil wanting to make as much money as possible.
But soon the prices are going to be too high on everything, except paychecks for the average citizen. Buisness will not give employees cost of living raises because they want to maintain their profits, which are going down due tot he cost to transport goods in ways that use gasoline and oil. Eventually people will stop buying gas, without which they will not go to work, buy grocieries, shop other places, or get their kids to school. When you don't go to work you loose your job. Loose your job unemployment goes up.
Can you see where this is headed another depression. It is the governement that controls the cost of oil, and it is also the government that is telling you the economy is okay......
The government controls the cost of oil?

What conspiracy theories have you been subscribing to?

Sure government assesses taxes on oil, but government does not "control" the price.

And economies work in cycles. Recessions happen. People need to accept this, prepare for it and get on with life.
Just An Observer

Oscoda, MI

#11 Mar 11, 2008
Bulky Nantuck wrote:
Of course, but at least you're catching on.
Kurt

AOL

#12 Mar 11, 2008
Silly Americans you STILL pay FAR LESS for petrol than the entire rest of the industrialized world, and yet you complain.

You drive absurd inefficient SUVs; and you complain.

“Dropped on head as child”

Since: Dec 06

Athens, Ga

#13 Mar 11, 2008
Bulky Nantuck wrote:
$20 "war/instability" cost per bbl
$25 for the decline of the $ due to deficits

yes, about 40% of the price of oil is Bush's fault.

Now you're not quite as stupid as you were
Mach II

United States

#14 Mar 11, 2008
Jeepers......like this is a real news flash....I didn't see this coming.......If something isn't done about this soon, I think our economy will implode to smithereens..

Hemet, CA

#15 Mar 11, 2008
So much for my Escalade dreams...just kidding. As for Wacko's comments, right on. They dont control the cost but they do the taxes levied. Drop the taxes and relieve the swelling. Buuuut, that doesnt solve the problems since Americans wont give up their huuuge SUVs and enormous trucks. I can see if you utilize them for work and such, but not for groceries and post office stops. I dont have a solution, just general thoughts. Of course, there is the whole "death" of the electric car thought from the 80's. I feel it's a culmination of oops's from the past that we neglected and are finally catching up with us. Any thoughts?
johanson

Eugene, OR

#16 Mar 11, 2008
Jeff Donowick wrote:
Why would government and the oil companies want to lower gas prices? They like the money and don't care about the Americain people. As long as thier pockets are full of money everything is fine to them. It's to bad for the rest of us. we will be out of a job and they will still have thier money!
The government would like to see gas prices come down becasue if it remains high, people will drive less and use less fuel; less fuel means less tax money.
johanson

Eugene, OR

#17 Mar 11, 2008
anf hiker wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up you Bush lovin retard.
Put your bush blinders back on..sheeple !
You repukes ruined your own party.
Now Sit back and watch it implode.
I'm surprised you didn't blame it on clintons
bj. Of course you A-holes will degrade the next
Democratic president for not being able to fix
Baby bush's fuggin mess
There's that magic word, sheeple.
Mach II

United States

#18 Mar 11, 2008
I think if no one went to the gas station on the same day if you don't have enough gas to make to work and back take the day off or make the day on a weekend, if we did this for several months someone would get the message that we can not afford gasoline prices. Just think of the millions of dollars in lost revenue the oil companies would lose, just in one day, it's a supply and demand world, lets not demand as much and let the supply build up. I would think the price of gas would drop in price. They say there is power in numbers, lets see.

Hemet, CA

#19 Mar 11, 2008
Mach II wrote:
I think if no one went to the gas station on the same day if you don't have enough gas to make to work and back take the day off or make the day on a weekend, if we did this for several months someone would get the message that we can not afford gasoline prices. Just think of the millions of dollars in lost revenue the oil companies would lose, just in one day, it's a supply and demand world, lets not demand as much and let the supply build up. I would think the price of gas would drop in price. They say there is power in numbers, lets see.
I actually like the thought but logistically speaking, it would take a miracle to get everyone to not use our beloved petrolcrack for a day. Numbers do have power; we dont go for a day, they know we'll be back tomorrow. "I'll gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today." We'd need the medias help for such a feat.
Mach II

United States

#20 Mar 11, 2008
I meant to say, if no one in the U.S. went to the pump on a same day either a Saturday or Sunday one day a month the oil companies would lose millions in just one day. If we kept this up for several months (we could call it, monthly pump sit out day). Of course everyone (or most everyone) would have to participate. the people are the only ones who can fix the problem, the government sure can help us, we need to help ourselves.....There is power in numbers....How do you think the oil companies make all of there money......because millions of people buy there gas, so if millions didn't go to the pump one day a month on the same day, that is millions of dollars they won't make....Don't make unnecessary trips, try to do all of your errands at the same time, etc. Let's see what happens.....
johanson

Eugene, OR

#21 Mar 11, 2008
Epo Epolicious wrote:
So much for my Escalade dreams...just kidding. As for Wacko's comments, right on. They dont control the cost but they do the taxes levied. Drop the taxes and relieve the swelling. Buuuut, that doesnt solve the problems since Americans wont give up their huuuge SUVs and enormous trucks. I can see if you utilize them for work and such, but not for groceries and post office stops. I dont have a solution, just general thoughts. Of course, there is the whole "death" of the electric car thought from the 80's. I feel it's a culmination of oops's from the past that we neglected and are finally catching up with us. Any thoughts?
If gas prices keep going up, people will start dumping their big SUV's and prices for these vehicles will plummet!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

News Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-Police Protesters' New Target: Sunday Brun... (Jan '15) 8 hr Poseidan 2
News List limits booze sales for Illinois city's hab... 23 hr unclesam 5
News Donald Trump is still bashing Megyn Kelly Aug 29 Keeppopinoff 9
News Mama bear, 5 cubs beat the heat in New Jersey f... Aug 21 Fundie Fatwasz Aroma 1
News New step in Trump's feud with Fox News; Clinton... Aug 15 goonsquad 90
News Trump's Women Problem Will Sink Him Aug 13 professionalhache... 1
News Fox CEO Roger Ailes Reportedly Threatened to 'G... Aug 13 professionalhache... 1
More from around the web