RaceTrac stations add ethanol-blend gas -- Upstream Oil and Gas...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel
Add RaceTrac to the list of filling stations now selling ethanol-blended gasoline in Central Florida. Full Story
Jose

Lake Mary, FL

#1 Apr 25, 2008
Ethanol blend, even at 10% is a ripoff. My gasoline mileage has suffered severely since this was introduced locally. You are paying a premium for "watered down" fuel that gives worse mileage and then you need to buy more of it to go the same distance. Please folks, check your gas mileage.
" January 21, 2008
Add RaceTrac to the list of filling stations now selling ethanol-blended gasoline in Central Florida. The Atlanta-based company has started pumping gasoline blended with up to 10 percent ethanol at several stations across the region. An employee for a RaceTrac on North Alafaya Trail in Orlando, which sells the blended fuel, said other stations are either selling the fuel now or will be doing so shortly. RaceTrac joins New York-based Hess and Murphy Oil, which sells gas at Wal-Mart Stores, as purveyors of ethanol in the region"

“Hitch yer wagon to a dream.”

Since: Dec 06

W. St. Paul, MN

#2 Apr 25, 2008
Jose wrote:
Ethanol blend, even at 10% is a ripoff. My gasoline mileage has suffered severely since this was introduced locally. You are paying a premium for "watered down" fuel that gives worse mileage and then you need to buy more of it to go the same distance. Please folks, check your gas mileage.
" January 21, 2008
Add RaceTrac to the list of filling stations now selling ethanol-blended gasoline in Central Florida. The Atlanta-based company has started pumping gasoline blended with up to 10 percent ethanol at several stations across the region. An employee for a RaceTrac on North Alafaya Trail in Orlando, which sells the blended fuel, said other stations are either selling the fuel now or will be doing so shortly. RaceTrac joins New York-based Hess and Murphy Oil, which sells gas at Wal-Mart Stores, as purveyors of ethanol in the region"
And all this while the cost of food is going through the ceiling and the water and energy required to produce the stuff (ethanol) makes it so inefficient to produce, that it has to be subsidized. It's utter insanity!
ex-mech

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Apr 25, 2008
NWARETCAPT wrote:
<quoted text>
And all this while the cost of food is going through the ceiling and the water and energy required to produce the stuff (ethanol) makes it so inefficient to produce, that it has to be subsidized. It's utter insanity!
I wish someone could explain to me how a barrel of oil can be up $40 from last May, but the pump only reflects a .31 increase from last May. Not that I'm not glad it's not 5 or 6 bucks a gallon. I just can't figure why the price hasn't increased more than it has. Yet as you said the price of food is going nut's. Gee a double bag of charcoal is up 3 bucks from last year. I'm probally buying carbon credit's from Gore without knowing it.
pndog

Round Rock, TX

#4 Apr 30, 2008
Jose wrote:
" January 21, 2008
If you can adjust the timing on your vehicle's ignition, advance it 3.5 to 4 degrees and you will recover some gas mileage. If it is a carbureted vehicle put a half gallon of diesel into about 2o gallons of gas when you fill up.

The reason you get lousy mileage on the corn whisky fuel is it has relatively low BTUs, which provides the power. Conversely, the corn whisky gas has an increased octane component compared to no ethanated gas of the same pump grade.

So adavance your timing to allow your engine to take advantage of the higher octane and increase the overall burn time. Or if you add diesel which is very low octane, but higher BTUs as compared to gas, the mixture will raise your overall BTUs in your fuel, while the ethanol will offset the loss of octane from the diesel component in the mixture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northwest Airlines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Northwest Flight Attendants Reject Cuts (Jun '06) Nov '14 g9ghello 38,770
Ruben Rosario: A 'drunk Northwest captain' no more (Feb '11) Nov '14 Lprouse 47
At Northwest Airlines: Meet the new boss (Oct '08) Aug '14 Really 18
what are the circles in the earth over new mexi... (Sep '07) Jul '14 Baggie Gluey 50
US increases international airport security, ta... Jul '14 Prost 1
News for the malcontents Wino and Spade (Jul '13) Apr '14 not a fine wine 404
Pilot and Flight Attendant Affairs (Jun '10) Apr '14 not a fine wine 3
More from around the web