Road looks rocky for navigation devic...

Road looks rocky for navigation device-maker Garmin Analysts fe...

There are 3 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 6, 2008, titled Road looks rocky for navigation device-maker Garmin Analysts fe.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Personal navigation device manufacturer Garmin Ltd. is facing a sea of challenges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

New Orleans, LA

#1 Apr 6, 2008
Low end consumer products may be subject to greater competition, but Garmin's Aerospace line of products is second to none. It also has significant military product presence. With the Nuviphone coming on line look for it to be the significant competitor to Nokia and others.

Lawrenceville, GA

#2 Apr 6, 2008
I got a Garmin Nuvi for my daughter two years ago, and a Nuvi for myself last year, and we are well pleased with them.
But Garmin has future problems. Virtually all smartphones will soon have GPS, and SAS providers will have more updated maps. Garmin relies on radio traffic updates (extra hardware, extra subscription), and the SAS, cloud and especially social network traffic updates of others work better. Going to be a tough market.
Garmin is making a big mistake getting into the cellphone market, as established iPhone, cell makers already overpopulate the market. Every is getting into the GPS market as they are hungry for subscription revenue and ad revenue.

United States

#3 Apr 7, 2008
Don't they have a large presence in aerospace and other markets? Just what percentage of their business is in the consumer space?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nokia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3D Systems: Weighing The Bankruptcy Risk (Mar '15) May '15 SuriJohn 2
News Technology Puts Detroit Back on Top (May '11) May '14 Auto-Safety 16
Back up & Restore Contacts on Your Symbian Noki... (Mar '14) Mar '14 randolph07 1
News Nokia handsets unit being bought by Microsoft s... (Jan '14) Jan '14 B-tech 1
Buying Jolla and waking up Symbian. (Oct '13) Oct '13 Isaiah 1
News Nokia Or BlackBerry, Who Dies First? (May '13) Sep '13 MR HENRY 3
News Market Maker Surveillance Report. NOK, RAD, INT... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Pavar 2
More from around the web