A dog gets oxygen from the Wyandanch-Wheatley Heights

Feb 12, 2011 Full story: Newsday.com 11

A dog gets oxygen from the Wyandanch-Wheatley Heights Ambulance Corps at the scene of a fire early Saturday morning at a house on 30th Street in Wyandanch.

Full Story
GladToBeOutOfLon gIsland

Orlando, FL

#1 Mar 26, 2011
Wow, nice story. I am so glad that the Wyandanch/Wheatley Heights Ambulance Corps were able to rustle up the energy to save this dog's life. That's a HELL of a lot more than we can say about my son!! Thirteen years ago, we called 911 because our son lay dying in our front foyer. The ambulance took a while to get there even though we barely live 5 minutes away. When they finally DID show up - they sauntered across the yard, chatting cheerfully with each other as my husband screamed for them to please, PLEASE hurry. They took their time anyway - and behaved as though they couldn't care less. Probably because they saw a young black boy laying in the front hall, taking his last breaths. They didn't know I was in the medical field as well... and we had to urge them several times to do something, do ANYTHING to help our son.
Our boy passed away because these racist idiots thought that discussing their week-end plans was more important that saving our son's life. Hell... they didn't even have an E.T. tube on hand, to open an airway for our son!!
If you live in Wheatley Heights, and are a family of COLOR - ANY color besides WHITE - for GOD'S SAKE do NOT call these animals if you have a medical emergency at your house. You would be best advised to take your sick/injured loved one... jump in your car... and HAUL ASS to the nearest hospital, on your own. Take it from me. We learned the hard way, and every single minute for the past 13 years has been a painful nightmare without our son.
You've been warned.
Thomas Cronogue

Watertown, CT

#2 Mar 28, 2011
GladToBeOutOfLongIsland,
I was fowarded your comments by the president of the Suffolk County Ambulance Chiefs' Association to whom you apparently e-maild this. I am the current chief of the above ambulance corps. I read your comments with a heavy heart. I realize you write them from a dark place, full of pain. While I can't speak to events that happened 13 years ago, I realize that your suffering is not consolable by me. Trust that I have nothing but sorrow for your loss and the pain it brings you every day. That having been said, let me assure you that the members of the corps are neither 'racist idiots' nor 'animals'. We do not take 'their time anyway - and behave(d) as though they couldn't care less. Probably because they saw a young black boy laying in the front hall, taking his last breaths'. Our members choose to volunteer here, to serve the community and could not care less about the color or origin of any patient. We live here too. We have been serving the community for over 30 years. I am troubled, but understand that it took 13 years for you to tell us this. As you are in the medical field, you are aware that we are taught NOT to run, as an injured provider can help no one. I understand that you view the events of that day through the lens of your pain. I can't imagine losing my child. Last year, we awarded 69 citations for life saving by the members. A lot can change in 13 years. We are now one of the fastest and busiest squads on Long Island, with Advanced Life Support responding to almost 100% of our alarms. Volunteer EMS agencies rely on members of the community to step up and volunteer. Admittedly, very few residents chose to do so back then, resulting in long response times. That does not excuse for your loss however.

To the residents of Wyandanch and Wheatley Heights, we invite you to come down and see what we do. See how we do it. Take part in it. It is yours and you need to be part of it to make it work.

To the writer, I realize you will take no solace from my response. If you wish to discuss it further, I can be reached at TCRONOGUE@WWHAC.com.

Once again, please accept my condolences for your loss and for what it's worth, my apologies for anything that you perceive as having contributed to it. We work every day to get better at what we do.

Thomas Cronogue
Chief
liss

Stamford, CT

#3 Jul 14, 2011
you are a bull sh-- liar. You madeup that story. I checked and no 13 year old died in Wheatley within the last10 years LIAR>
bbb

Lindenhurst, NY

#4 Jul 18, 2011
did the poster even bother to say what was wrong with her child?? no. instead posted this rant about racism. it has nothing to do with race and its sickening that these people blame it on that. that pisses me off. remember this, its not our fault that your black. you people have the same advantages as everyone else. but you find it easier to blame your faults and problems on everyone else!!!!!(white People) get over it and move on!!!
GladToBeOutOfLon gIsland

Orlando, FL

#5 Jul 18, 2011
You both can kiss my ass...BOTH of you! First of all - any 10 year old can research this and find that indeed, my son DID die, and I blame the WWHAC. On the afternoon of Friday April 28, 1998 we frantically called for help from these people. And the rest was made clear in my posting. If it's any comfort to the two of you insensitive jerks, while I was watching my son die - a few of our neighbors ame to try to help us WHILE WE CONTINUED TO WAIT for the ambulance...and then WAITED SOME MORE WHILE THEY SAUNTERED ACROSS THE FRONT LAWN, CHATTING HAPPILY AMONGST THEMSELVES. One of my neighbors even shouted for them to "move your asses".
I can only imagine what type of people you BOTH are, and give thanks that you are not among the the good people in my life. I simply used this forum for exactly what it's here for - to give voice to a concern or a problem. And in return what I get back is a cruel, cold-hearted witch hunt by a couple of callous, ignorant people who don't even have the slightest decency with regard to the fact that A CHILD DIED that day, and probably didn't need to. I pray to GOD that you never know this kind of pain. I would love to be able to say "I'll pry for both of you"... but something tells me it would do absolutely NO GOOD.
Any further attempts by the two of you to rub salt into a wound that still has not healed - will be ignored.
GladToBeOutOfLon gIsland

Orlando, FL

#6 Jul 18, 2011
**And YOU are insensitive, childish prick. PRICK.**
You both can kiss my ass...BOTH of you! First of all - any 10 year old can research this and find that indeed, my son DID die, and I blame the WWHAC. On the afternoon of Friday April 28, 1998 we frantically called for help from these people. And the rest was made clear in my posting. If it's any comfort to the two of you insensitive jerks, while I was watching my son die - a few of our neighbors ame to try to help us WHILE WE CONTINUED TO WAIT for the ambulance...and then WAITED SOME MORE WHILE THEY SAUNTERED ACROSS THE FRONT LAWN, CHATTING HAPPILY AMONGST THEMSELVES. One of my neighbors even shouted for them to "move your asses".
I can only imagine what type of people you BOTH are, and give thanks that you are not among the the good people in my life. I simply used this forum for exactly what it's here for - to give voice to a concern or a problem. And in return what I get back is a cruel, cold-hearted witch hunt by a couple of callous, ignorant people who don't even have the slightest decency with regard to the fact that A CHILD DIED that day, and probably didn't need to. I pray to GOD that you never know this kind of pain. I would love to be able to say "I'll pry for both of you"... but something tells me it would do absolutely NO GOOD.
Any further attempts by the two of you to rub salt into a wound that still has not healed - will be ignored.
miraclemaker

Orlando, FL

#7 Jul 18, 2011
Go to hell. You weren't there that day, you brainless busybody. You probably don't have children so you have no idea what that was like. and if you DO have children, God help them.
bbb

Lindenhurst, NY

#8 Jul 18, 2011
my point was not to doubt the death of your child. that is unfortunate and heartbreaking NO MATTER WHAT COLOR YOU ARE!!! delays in ambulance calls happen EVERYWHERE!!!! not just in black neighborhoods!!! im arguing the race card that you are playing!!! it has nothing to do with your child being black!!! thats my point.
bbb

Lindenhurst, NY

#9 Jul 18, 2011
my post was not hatred!! learn to read and you will see my point. oh and "miracle" you have no idea what your babbling about. reread my post and maybe youll understand.
bbb

Lindenhurst, NY

#10 Jul 18, 2011
not a witch hunt either. just reminding you that no where did i hear anyone say, "oh this kids black, lets take forever to get there and if he dies oh well, hes black!" that never happened and you cant tell me that it did. your the one spewing hatred to the white people and thats what pisses me off. that to me is a witch hunt just for the record, i am a white woman who needed an ambulance 3 years ago. they took forever so i ended up taking a taxi to good sam!! thats the gods honest truth!!! i would sooner take a cab to the hospital than wait for rescue to come. so i do know where you are coming from on that point..
bbb

Lindenhurst, NY

#11 Jul 18, 2011
and to the fire chief tom cronogue: i beg to differ when you say ALS responds to almost 100% of your calls!! i happen to know that aint the truth!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newsday Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cops: Pharmacy robber, fed agent shot dead in NY (Jan '12) Aug '14 knapp commission 32
Plan To Send Immigrant Children To NY Causes Up... Aug '14 spud 13
In tiny NY village, 26 votes could mean victory Jul '14 Naughtyrobot 2
Around Lindenhurst: fire department parade, drill (Jun '11) Jun '14 Marie 2
Commuters face road closures after LI debris fire (Jan '14) Jan '14 Mail 1
The Club at Melville breaks ground after land swap (Dec '13) Dec '13 gloria agrillo 1
Jude Treder-Wolff's Crazytown: My First Psychop... (May '13) May '13 Septa 1

Newsday People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE