2 rescued off Mastic Beach; 1 critical

2 rescued off Mastic Beach; 1 critical

There are 38 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 6, 2011, titled 2 rescued off Mastic Beach; 1 critical. In it, Newsday reports that:

A man from Queens is clinging to life after he and another man nearly drowned while looking for clams in the waters off Jefferson Drive in Mastic Beach Saturday, Suffolk County police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RMS Smithpoint

Bohemia, NY

#22 Aug 8, 2011
Anyone can bring a law suit against anyone else if they are willing to pay a filing fee. The problem here is establishing liability. Regardless of who owns the land a jury in Suffolk County is not going to award people who did not know how to swim and knowingly entered a body of water damages. Period. They are not children, they were not 'enticed', I'm sure they knew they could not swim and even if they could swim it's still an accident. If the lifeguards fail to save you at Smith Point Suffolk County is not responsible for your death.
Liability

Bay Shore, NY

#23 Aug 8, 2011
"Despite the findings, Suriel’s family is moving forward with a lawsuit against New York City. Suriel’s death, along with that of 19-year-old Emanuel Tiburcio in May and numerous preseason rescues when lifeguards were off duty, sparked a debate about whether to open beaches earlier in the season and ways in which the City of Long Beach could create more awareness of their dangers when they are closed.

“We have to be ready to either have lifeguards working earlier in the season or have more enforcement to keep people out of the water — and that’s a dialogue that needs to come up at the council,” City Councilman Len Torres said.“We don’t want more people to drown.”

http://www.liherald.com/longbeach/longbeach/s...
RMS Smithpoint

Bohemia, NY

#24 Aug 8, 2011
That's right, anyone can bring a lawsuit. I agree, if there is a legitimate hazard being "created" than action should to be taken to avoid accidents.

FYI, posting a "Beware of Dog" sign on your gate can be interpreted as "My dog has a propensity for violence".
What

Mastic Beach, NY

#25 Aug 8, 2011
So, two guys go clamming....is there a joke in here somewhere? Lawsuits! Everybody is lawsuit happy. Can't people work for a living instead of trying to make a quick buck?
get with it

East Moriches, NY

#26 Aug 8, 2011
Liability wrote:
"Despite the findings, Suriel’s family is moving forward with a lawsuit against New York City. Suriel’s death, along with that of 19-year-old Emanuel Tiburcio in May and numerous preseason rescues when lifeguards were off duty, sparked a debate about whether to open beaches earlier in the season and ways in which the City of Long Beach could create more awareness of their dangers when they are closed.
“We have to be ready to either have lifeguards working earlier in the season or have more enforcement to keep people out of the water — and that’s a dialogue that needs to come up at the council,” City Councilman Len Torres said.“We don’t want more people to drown.”
http://www.liherald.com/longbeach/longbeach/s...
thats nice. TOTALLY different scenario.
get with it

East Moriches, NY

#27 Aug 8, 2011
What wrote:
So, two guys go clamming....is there a joke in here somewhere? Lawsuits! Everybody is lawsuit happy. Can't people work for a living instead of trying to make a quick buck?
I don't know, ask Frank, he likes to sue everyone around him.
Maybe they can get him to help them sue, he has a lot of experience suing the MBPOA.(not winning, just suing)
Lazarus

United States

#28 Aug 8, 2011
pathetic wrote:
<quoted text>nice solution. Either have our taxes go up so the "village" can run them poorly, or close them to the residents because some fool from Queens who cant swim went into our waters. SOCIALIST!!!
Theres a sign, MEMBERS ONLY! No lawsuit for you!
Were you there? If you were not, keep your mouth shut. There were no signs, nor life guards, nor signs about the tide. The man can swim, but the tide was extremely strong. How about I throw you out there? I would like to see how well you fair.
Evan Politico

Bronx, NY

#29 Aug 8, 2011
RMS Smithpoint wrote:
That's right, anyone can bring a lawsuit. I agree, if there is a legitimate hazard being "created" than action should to be taken to avoid accidents.
FYI, posting a "Beware of Dog" sign on your gate can be interpreted as "My dog has a propensity for violence".
Yo,these guys was orientals Yo!Any dog would be made into lunch Yo!
get real

East Moriches, NY

#30 Aug 8, 2011
Lazarus wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you there? If you were not, keep your mouth shut. There were no signs, nor life guards, nor signs about the tide. The man can swim, but the tide was extremely strong. How about I throw you out there? I would like to see how well you fair.
I swim out there all the time, no need to "throw me out there". And yes, as a matter of fact, I was there. I saw it all. But whats the point in telling you anything. No lawsuit, sorry. I know you want the MBPOA to get sued and "lose it all", but they won't. Try something/someone else to hold a grudge against.
flabbergasted

Bronx, NY

#31 Aug 8, 2011
Shelf wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The MBPOA dumped sand at Jefferson Beach last year and opened it for members use. The MBPOA has liability for leaving the beach unguarded. If it turns out the victims used the beach to park and go into the water, guess who has liabilty?
I hope the MBPOA doesn't get sued and the victim makes a full recovery. But this isn't 1960 anymore, and the village needs to take over the 2 beaches at Washington and Jefferson and either pay lifeguards at both, or close them.
the village cannot take over private property. if you really want to let them take over private property, then maybe they should take over your house
seriously

East Moriches, NY

#32 Aug 8, 2011
Lazarus wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you there? If you were not, keep your mouth shut. There were no signs, nor life guards, nor signs about the tide. The man can swim, but the tide was extremely strong. How about I throw you out there? I would like to see how well you fair.
It can be strong. If it was he could've gotten swept away all the way to Pattersquash Creek those rapids are death traps.
Evan Politico

Bronx, NY

#33 Aug 9, 2011
Getz wit it Yo!
What

Mastic Beach, NY

#34 Aug 9, 2011
Being the new owner of Pattersquash Island, I hereby proclaim no swimming, no clamming, no crabbing and no eeling within 150 feet of the land boundaries of my island. Dredging has been approved and I will permit some spoils to be placed on the southern part so as to permit a land bridge with Fire island.

A word of caution....do not go near my island!
RIP Mr Vulong

Bronx, NY

#35 Aug 9, 2011
Man who went missing while fishing dies
Originally published: August 9, 2011 4:29 PM
August 9, 2011 4:41 PM
By WILLIAM MURPHY
A Bayside, Queens, man rescued Saturday from the waters off Mastic Beach was pronounced dead Tuesday at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, Suffolk County police said.

Police said detectives were continuing their investigation of the incident in which Ivan Vulong, 21, was critically injured while fishing with friends.

Bystanders alerted that two young men were drowning about 3:40 p.m. rushed into the water but were able to pull only one of them, Gordon Sung, 21, of Rego Park, to shore. They couldn't reach Vulong, who was later pulled from the water by members of the Mastic Beach Fire Department.

Investigators believe that tides and unfamiliarity with the area were to blame, said Det. Sgt. John Sumwalt, a supervisor of the Shirley-based Seventh Squad detectives, who is handling the case.

Sung and Vulong were part of a larger group of about 10 who went out east to clam, fish and hang out. The friends initially went farther east, but a boat they had planned to board was full, and someone suggested the Mastic Beach area, police said.

Sung and Vulong ended up about 150 yards offshore, Sumwalt said.

There are no lifeguards on that section of beach, officials said.
JAMES

Trenton, NJ

#36 Aug 10, 2011
The Town paved the roads, it is their fault I had an accident. People need to be held accountable for their own actions. Some times terrible things happen that is just life. This country is suing itself into bankrupsy.
pathetic wrote:
<quoted text>and yet some person with a grudge had to bring up how they should sue the MBPOA before knowing the full events. This was a tragic event, but starting a tread saying that the mbpoa will be sued is just immature. They came out from Queens, were NOT members, and came on to the shore from a boat. So if they were on the other side by Stiritz marina, should he be sued?
Why don't we stop all the BS grudge and have the "visionaries" work on fixing MBV, not with their goals of world domination starting with the MBPOA.
I do find it funny how ALL the events that the MBPOA and the Osprey Park civic throw is snubbed by EVERY member of the village "visionaries" but yet, they can find the time to go to the pathetic PCCA events.(But, we all knew that would happen.) Way to keep the grudge alive.
What

Bronx, NY

#37 Aug 10, 2011
Vulong the oriental played in the sea and frolicked in obamaness of shirleymasticaly
What

Mastic Beach, NY

#38 Aug 14, 2011
These guys from Queens were very familiar with the area. In fact, they have been using an illegal crab and fish trap involving long nets and ropes in the channel. I heard from a Coastie the man's leg got caught in the trap and he was dragged by the current and drowned.

These guys have been warned many times not to engage in this fishing practice. Now, please stop all this and get on with life.
get bent

East Moriches, NY

#39 Aug 14, 2011
What wrote:
These guys from Queens were very familiar with the area. In fact, they have been using an illegal crab and fish trap involving long nets and ropes in the channel. I heard from a Coastie the man's leg got caught in the trap and he was dragged by the current and drowned.
These guys have been warned many times not to engage in this fishing practice. Now, please stop all this and get on with life.
I think you ARE ONE THAT STARTED IT BACK UP AGAIN! But now the "what" has spoken, we must all obey.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newsday Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Temple Grandin tells parents about growing up w... Nov '16 VACCINES CAUSE AU... 1
News New DWI arrest for Mastic woman (Jan '11) Aug '15 dottie 16
News NY teacher's prom role: Sewing-kit ace who fixe... (May '15) May '15 DILF 4
News Cops: Pharmacy robber, fed agent shot dead in NY (Jan '12) Jan '15 Beenthere 34
News A dog gets oxygen from the Wyandanch-Wheatley H... (Mar '11) Nov '14 GladToBeOutOfLong... 12
News Plan To Send Immigrant Children To NY Causes Up... (Aug '14) Aug '14 spud 13
News In tiny NY village, 26 votes could mean victory (Jul '14) Jul '14 Naughtyrobot 2
More from around the web