Low Volume on Instant Movies - HELP!

Posted in the Netflix Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Leslie F

Salyersville, KY

#1 Jan 23, 2011
So my husband and I have a Netflix account and use the Instant portion of it frequently and we've never had any problem with volume of any of the videos but my mom has an account on Netflix as well and she recently told me that when she watches videos on instant (whether on her laptop or my sister's laptop) the sound is very low and she has to turn the volume up all the way on her laptop to be able to hear it decently. I thought it might be the speakers but she watches videos on Youtube and other sites just fine with no problem hearing them.. Any suggestions as to what this may be? Thanks!
Mark

United States

#2 May 10, 2011
I have the same problem. I've tried watching two different movies and they both had very low volume. I gave up on the second movie it was so low. I'm on a decent desktop; Windows XP; volume on computer and Netflix control turned all the way up.
jschner

Dallas, TX

#3 May 27, 2011
Same problem here. Netflix has known about this for quite a while but continues to ignore it. Now that they are a near-monopoly I doubt that we'll see any relief soon. Best bet is to support the competition (Amazon prime eligible Instant Watch - free if you have a student in the house) and hope Mr. Market will eventually take care of the problem.
me sayz

Jonesboro, AR

#4 May 27, 2011
jschner wrote:
Same problem here. Netflix has known about this for quite a while but continues to ignore it. Now that they are a near-monopoly I doubt that we'll see any relief soon. Best bet is to support the competition (Amazon prime eligible Instant Watch - free if you have a student in the house) and hope Mr. Market will eventually take care of the problem.
be careful with amazon prime - they will charge you several times a year if you are not careful. I got charged three times and then had a heck of a time cancelling them since movies I wanted to watch was either unavailable or kept breaking up because of extremely slow streaming.
jschner

Dallas, TX

#5 May 28, 2011
Depending on where you are and what sort of material you watch, both Neflix and Amazon have problems. But I do believe that we, as consumers, should promote the competition between these guys. So frequent them both. We'll only benefit in the long run.
jmeh

Splendora, TX

#6 Jun 19, 2011
Leslie F wrote:
So my husband and I have a Netflix account and use the Instant portion of it frequently and we've never had any problem with volume of any of the videos but my mom has an account on Netflix as well and she recently told me that when she watches videos on instant (whether on her laptop or my sister's laptop) the sound is very low and she has to turn the volume up all the way on her laptop to be able to hear it decently. I thought it might be the speakers but she watches videos on Youtube and other sites just fine with no problem hearing them.. Any suggestions as to what this may be? Thanks!
what worked for me was to delete silverlight and reinstall it. dont know why, but it worked.
jmeh

Splendora, TX

#7 Jun 19, 2011
what worked for me was to unstall silverlight and reinstall it.
Bob

Springfield, IL

#8 Sep 1, 2011
Why not just, you know, turn up the volume?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jessica

Grand Rapids, MI

#9 Oct 25, 2011
I have the exact same problem! Sound is turned up all the way on my laptop and on Netflix and I'm still straining to hear the movie with my ear next to the speaker! It only happens with certain films is there anyway to crank up the volume?
Jeremy

Manistique, MI

#10 Jan 10, 2012
I have xp and my volume goes on and low all the time when watching movies on netflix...everybody else talks of low volume

“truth is a three edged sword”

Since: Jan 11

Babylon 5, Epsilon Eridani

#11 Jan 10, 2012
I did a little search and found a couple of possible solutions.

1. turn off features on the sound card like Dolby headphones and GX sound.

2. try maximising the Wave setting in your sound controls, usually just double click your sound icon on the bottom right of your screen. You may need to go into your control panel to do it.
matt

Gainesville, GA

#12 May 31, 2012
I have the same problem. Everything else -- music, YouTube, etc. -- plays loudly. It's annoying because I might turn up the sound loudly (at 200%) for Netflix and then hear something else at ear-damaging levels if I'm not careful. They should fix it so that it plays at audio levels typical of other stuff, if there is a typical.
matt

Gainesville, GA

#13 May 31, 2012
Seems like the solution mentioned elsewhere on the web when searching for this does work -
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fo...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1143165/netflix-vo...
http://forums.silverlight.net/p/183120/415141...
Enabling "Loudness Equalization" in Speakers Properties in Windows 7. Click on the speaker symbol in the lower right of your screen, click the speaker picture at the top of the window that pops up so that you go to Speakers Properties, which the Microsoft guy calls the "Sound Panel," then go to Enhancements, then click on Loudness Equalization and make the others unchecked and click Apply and OK or just Apply or just OK (?)-- whichever -- and then maybe that fixes it.
jack

Staten Island, NY

#14 Aug 31, 2012
Bob wrote:
Why not just, you know, turn up the volume?
because genius, there's no volume on max
jcrply

North Fort Myers, FL

#15 Sep 1, 2012
matt wrote:
Click on the speaker symbol in the lower right of your screen, click the speaker picture at the top of the window that pops up so that you go to Speakers Properties, which the Microsoft guy calls the "Sound Panel," then go to Enhancements, then click on Loudness Equalization and make the others unchecked and click Apply and OK or just Apply or just OK (?)-- whichever -- and then maybe that fixes it.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! It did, indeed, fix it.
jcc

Lowell, MA

#16 Sep 28, 2012
matt wrote:
Seems like the solution mentioned elsewhere on the web when searching for this does work -
Enabling "Loudness Equalization" in Speakers Properties in Windows 7. Click on the speaker symbol in the lower right of your screen, click the speaker picture at the top of the window that pops up so that you go to Speakers Properties, which the Microsoft guy calls the "Sound Panel," then go to Enhancements, then click on Loudness Equalization and make the others unchecked and click Apply and OK or just Apply or just OK (?)-- whichever -- and then maybe that fixes it.
the frickin man

Since: Sep 12

Zurich, Switzerland

#17 Sep 29, 2012
I never had any trouble with audio. I think netflix and silverlight are great.
LBB

Venice, FL

#18 Jan 3, 2013
Worked Like A Charm! Awesome!
matt wrote:
Ree

Albany, CA

#19 Jan 4, 2013
We run Netflix through our Roku box hooked up to our tv and we have the same problem with the sound. Some you can hear just fine others you have to turn the volume all the way up. I hope they fix it soon..
organictallgirl

Pike Ntl Forest, CO

#20 Feb 11, 2013
jack wrote:
<quoted text>
because genius, there's no volume on max
It worked!!! Finally, I've been trying to figure this damn thing out for months!!
Thank YOU!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Netflix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BEWARE of Netflix--RIP OFF ALERT! (Feb '09) Oct 13 stevenhalligan 27
How to get Netflix for all regions rather than ... (Oct '12) Oct 13 DeniseHeart 16
French to English Oct 10 Hayden 1
false icon at top of page Oct 10 punkyems 1
Twin Peaks Oct 9 CoolConfusion 2
Netflix outside the USA (Sep '12) Oct 8 TheMainMan 22
Hey, i know its a long shot but would anybody l... (Aug '12) Oct 7 dhdhd 62
Help! Netflix sound works--but picture lags behind (Mar '12) Oct 5 Kim 131
Netflix widget on a Vizio TV problem (Sep '10) Oct 1 Fred 337
status bar when streaming won't disappear (Nov '11) Sep '14 greenighs 9
Netflix video lags when streaming on laptop (Feb '13) Aug '14 Roraima 18

Netflix People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE