Posted in the Netflix Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Matt

Sun Prairie, WI

#1 Jul 22, 2008
On instant watch?
I've recently been watching Showtimes Dexter and noticed that when they're speaking spanish.. there are no subtitles. Is there a way to enable this or is Netflix that absent minded?
smack

Sun City, CA

#3 May 4, 2009
i'm having the same problem. netflix says subtitles are available but i see no options. watching foreign films dubbed in english is the worst.
CAJUN QUEEN

United States

#4 Jun 19, 2009
I am pretty computer savvy and I have tried many times to finde a way to accesss "CLOSE CAPTIONED"
AND CANT'.

They told me the same lie, that they have "CC", BUT THEY DON'T.

And do U notice that when U call them with the same problems, each Rep gives U a different answer to the same problem.

So they R not all trained the same or THEY JUST SAY WHAT THEY WANT.

These CUST SERV REPS don't understant that if U
keep messing up our service, WE WILL CANCEL AND THEY wON'T HAVE A JOB.

THEY R SO DUMB.

They should want to help us N all ways and take R
complaints we give them to fix, so they can "KEEP THEIR JOBS."

BECAUSE IF ENOUGH OF US PULL OUT THEY WILL lose their jobs, BE "LET-GO" AND HAVE NO JOB.

A WAKE UP CALL TO THEM...
DD_D

Fresno, CA

#5 Mar 29, 2010
I think it's funny that you type capital "R" for "are" or "our." You have to press the shift key, that's two key stokes. One more key stroke and you'd have the correct word spelled correctly.
It is a problem if they're not giving consistent answers. Their inconsistent training is the fault of management, not the fault of the customer service people.
CAJUN QUEEN wrote:
I am pretty computer savvy and I have tried many times to finde a way to accesss "CLOSE CAPTIONED"
AND CANT'.
They told me the same lie, that they have "CC", BUT THEY DON'T.
And do U notice that when U call them with the same problems, each Rep gives U a different answer to the same problem.
So they R not all trained the same or THEY JUST SAY WHAT THEY WANT.
These CUST SERV REPS don't understant that if U
keep messing up our service, WE WILL CANCEL AND THEY wON'T HAVE A JOB.
THEY R SO DUMB.
They should want to help us N all ways and take R
complaints we give them to fix, so they can "KEEP THEIR JOBS."
BECAUSE IF ENOUGH OF US PULL OUT THEY WILL lose their jobs, BE "LET-GO" AND HAVE NO JOB.
A WAKE UP CALL TO THEM...
Jak

Highland, IN

#6 May 12, 2011
Ya! Ppl these days.
Captain19

Williston, FL

#7 May 15, 2011
I just went to Settings, Audio & Video and then Closed Captioning. You can turn it on and off. You can also select the Closed Captioning language from 13 languages.
Matt wrote:
On instant watch?
I've recently been watching Showtimes Dexter and noticed that when they're speaking spanish.. there are no subtitles. Is there a way to enable this or is Netflix that absent minded?
Yeshua Yog-Sothoth

Lawrence, KS

#8 Jun 7, 2011
Every time I try to leave a comment about my problems not getting subtitles (I am literally hard-of-hearing, I am only given a few options to check, none of which have anything to do with what I am trying to convey/understand. If I am paying such-and-such an amount of $ per month, you'd think I might be able to "see" the dialogue in the movies (especially when Netflix itself claims that a particular 'flix' is 'CC'. I'm new here, and all my friends raved about Netflix, and I really DO like the idea of it, but for the half-deaf or hard-of-hearing, it means that I can only enjoy a tiny fraction of the movies I was signing up to see. I know they can't do anything about filmakers/studios that don't put a caption option out, but what I don't know is why they think I am "a negligible customer" and that I don't care about what some of the nearly-whispered (to me & my ilk) dialogue is about. Hint: stories, however visually exciting, oftentimes require actual WORDS be UNDERSTOOD, in order to get "the full effect." If there was just at least one deaf or hard-of-hearing person (or even just someone who actually LIKES subtitles, for all they reveal 'behind the scenes,' as it were), then maybe they would give a hoot. Since they don't seem to (give a hoot), I'm going to have to cancel this crap and continue patronizing my local, independent video store. Just because I am in a (non-literal) wheel-chair, for example, doesn't mean that I don't pay the same amount of money everyone else does in order to, apparently, only get about 1/5th of the 'return.'
Yeshua Yog-Sothoth

Lawrence, KS

#9 Jun 7, 2011
OK, to clarify the above:[1] I was trying to say that I am upset that I cannot report problems except what NetFlick gives me the options to check.[2] Like a couple others here, I get mad when it is ADVERTISED as having CC (closed captions, for those who don't know, no offense implied whatsoever), but, upon streaming, does NOT.[3] well, you know. Sorry to be such a little witchy-bitchy person, given what is all going wrong on this planet, but hey, I pay the same amount of money as people who can "hear" do, but I'm only getting to see a fraction of the movies. and, thus [4] I'm really tired (as you are) of posting my complaints in forums, instead of being able to to tell The Netflix Powers That Be what I'm pissed off about.(They say, "Hey, here! Call this number to talk to a Representative!" but sorry, um, did you get the memo that I can't hear? How am I supposed to talk on the phone? How else can I complain, without resorting to the unspeakable?! Unless they can address this (apparently, I'm not the only one complaining about this issue, hearing or not), then I sadly will go back to bit-torrents, and their accompanying subs.
jack belck

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Sep 19, 2011
On audio-captions page, I click English but OFF stays above it, and sometimes I get captions, other times, not. Also, yellow captions sometimes are out of synch; in Candian Bacon, a caption stayed up into the next scene.
cas

Lions Head, Canada

#12 Nov 23, 2011
exact same thing is happening to me ugh
Carlos

Ottawa, Canada

#13 Nov 28, 2011
Here the same. I can click on "subtiles". The options OFF and English[CC] appear, but whenever I click on English, it does't change. It's always with OFF selected.
Kat

Hartford, CT

#14 Feb 10, 2012
I can't enable the closed caption on my vizio tv XVT323SV when i play a netflix movie. I can do it in my computer but not in the tv? Any one? What can I do?
Alain

Nevada City, CA

#15 Oct 15, 2013
I had an old CD player unable to play some subtitles or Close Captions. I purchase a new one, being very careful that it was listed by Netflix as compatible with subtitles and Close Captions. Guess what: The first time I tried it, it did not plays the Close Caption on Dexter. Ever more disgusting, you cannot even highlight "Close Captions" to select them. Netflix lost me today as a customer for sure!
Ravic

Vista, CA

#16 Nov 17, 2013
Jak wrote:
Ya! Ppl these days.
You R an imperious SNIT.
Fragems

Proctorville, OH

#17 Nov 18, 2013
For whatever reason the English subtitle option just disappeared on a lot of shows on the Wii App :P. Was in the middle of watching Tri-Gun so I'm somewhat pissed. PC app still has subs listed and functional but since the Wii is the only netflix capable machine in my bed room that doesn't help me much :P. So much for laying down and relaxing to some kick ass anime. Could watch it in English but much prefer watching foreign shows in their original language.
Glamore kitty

Kaukauna, WI

#18 May 12, 2014
Can some one tell me how to get cc on my vizio TV 120Hz?
margaret devil

Corona, NY

#19 Jul 21, 2014
It says here that some models don't support closed captioning. https://help.netflix.com/en/node/515
So mine doesn't, sucks.
KKB

Bellingham, WA

#20 Mar 5, 2015
Netflix DOES have closed captioning on their programs. After the National Association for the Deaf filed suit against the company for not providing subtitles, Netflix agreed to caption all shows and movies by 2014. Some older devices for streaming Netflix have no option for accessing that capability. New devices do. When streaming Netflix in a browser window the CC option is to the left of the full screen option in the right bottom corner of the Netflix screen.
Sandy

Monterey, CA

#21 Nov 22, 2015
The CC is grayed out it won't even let you click on it!!

Since: Oct 16

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Oct 17, 2016
To enable subtitles on Android devices:
1. Tap the screen to bring up the timeline and controls.
2. On the top bar, touch the "keyboard" icon (2nd from right).
3. The pop-up box should show Audio options.
4. The top bar also has "Subtitles". Tap this.
5. Long lists can be dragged up/down. Tap your selection.
6. Each program should keep it's own unique settings.
7. You may have to delete the Netflix application Cache or Data (if they get corrupted). Thats another topic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Netflix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News One Weird - But Remarkably Successful - Tech ETF Aug 17 Wholly Silicon Wafer 1
News From JonBenet Ramsey's Murder to the Disappeara... Aug 17 Tex- 6
Disable auto-preview Aug 13 Christopher 1
"Sky on Fire" title song Aug 11 Netflixuser333 1
Estocolmo 2nd Season? Aug 7 Morgandy14 1
Lion vs Pteranodon Aug 5 Kiryu2012 1
Murder she wrote not on Netflix again (Jan '17) Aug 1 CLJ 7
status bar when streaming won't disappear (Nov '11) Jun '17 Bellathedream7 32
More from around the web