Netflix subscribers will have to wait 28 days to rent...

There are 20 comments on the Fox 8 - WJW story from Jan 6, 2010, titled Netflix subscribers will have to wait 28 days to rent.... In it, Fox 8 - WJW reports that:

In this Oct. 22, 2007 file photo, Mei Michelson prepares to return movies to Netflix from her home in Palo Alto, Calif.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 - WJW.

BMITW

Wylie, TX

#42 Dec 9, 2010
Nomo Blockbuster wrote:
Blockbuster lost its edge years ago and bankruptcy only cements the company's worthlessness to society and further justifies why it should be gone altogether.
When it was just DVD delivery/rental you are right.
Now the playing field has changed and the move is to streaming content. BB has the slight advantage with the prime studios to be the first to broker the deals that allow them to be the first to offer new releases instantly.

Netflix is scared and rightfully so. The tangible differences are getting fewer and fewer. Once streaming is king and delivery method of choice; content price and delivery method will rule.
With Blockbuster coming out debt free next quarter, google, amazon, and hulu in the race it's anyones game...BUT Blockbuster has the inside deal ith studio.
Blockbuster Rules

West Covina, CA

#43 Dec 13, 2010
Why doesn't someone mention that Blockbuster is the only plan that offer GAMES with their $9.99 per month membership. No one can touch that!

Oops.. that someone is now me.
Gez

Bucharest, Romania

#44 Dec 13, 2010
What a load
my truth

Osceola, AR

#45 Dec 13, 2010
Blockbuster Rules wrote:
Why doesn't someone mention that Blockbuster is the only plan that offer GAMES with their $9.99 per month membership. No one can touch that!
Oops.. that someone is now me.
too bad blockbuster has filed bankruptcy and one of its assets is its customers database. If blockbuster does not survive, then its database will be for sale and who knows where customers credit card numbers, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, and other account information will end up at.

Then there's your movie preferences. Who else might find out what type of movies you rent from their stores and online over the years? Do you rent any that could embarrass you? That information is kept in a database too and is part of their assets.

Any new customer will be taking a chance. Old customers - all blockbuster will say to you is "thats business" I believe blockbuster will completely shut down within a year.

Dont worry, most likely you have a year before they completely shut their doors and sell their databases - I mean their assets.
my truth

Osceola, AR

#46 Dec 13, 2010
my comment on the 28 days. I can wait. If it is one of the good movies, I will be buying it anyway so it really will not affect me.

Years ago the same deal was made to walmart. There were so many video rental stores across the country, that they had enough influence to force the studios to do the same thing to walmart. Walmart and other retailers would not get some of the latest movies until about 30 days after they were released to the video stores.

A couple of years later it was thrown out because the selling of movies made them more profit.

IMO, eventually the 28 day limit will be lifted once the studios see that streaming can bring in even more royalties without the expense of producing dvds. that is unless the isps start putting up toll booths.
BMITW

Wylie, TX

#47 Dec 14, 2010
My Truth....

This is where folks like you who HATE Blockbuster are wrong. However I do agree on some points but have a conterpoint as well.

1. They will not have to sell any customer database. They are still an operational company and will be DEBIT FREE after their restructuring potentially next quarter. That's just backwater fear mongering.

2. I agree with you that the 28 days thing will eventaully be a moot point. You are right that eventaully studios will learn that streaming media is the only way to go. DVD/BluRay is dead in 3-5 years.

HOWEVER....On-demand (albeit dieing) is still a strong entity 3-5 years past DVD. Blockbuster being a preferred distributor can still offer titles on the release date. This is a HUGE advantage over companies like NF.

I know that eventually On-demand will be dead as well and that a substription should allow for ondemand streaming of new releases at a single rate. Again Blockbuster will be investing HUGE sums of money in streaming technology and making deals with studios like NF has done. The biggest difference....Blockbuster already has relationships with Prime Studios like WB and Disney. Blockbuster could also bring in HBO the way that NF has brought in STARS. HBO turned down NF's. BB has the preferential advantage over NF for distribution and would likely do a deal with them.

Bottom line is that BB is not Dead and Not at a disadvantage at all. They infact, in a world where DVD's are no longer king, have strong advantages. They just need to make deals and setup the instant viewing capability.

Investors know this and realize that Blockbuster (BLOAQ) will be positioned strongly next year, and completely debt free. A Penny stock now (which has gone up 500% in the last 3 weeks breaking the 1 year expected valuation) is expected to be worth $10-$15 over the next 1-2 years. At this time DVD's will be on their way out completely, as will NF's advantage in the market place. BB stock will soar.
Ebola Sandwich

Miami, FL

#48 Dec 15, 2010
Normally, I don't have a problem with Netflix,(Other than new releases....waiting - n - waiting)

BUT, since I started getting into Dexter, there's a bit of a problem. Season 3 is NOT available for instant viewing, although Seasons 1 and 2 were...wtf

It took a week and 1/2 to get disc 1, discs 3 and for took less than a week, and disc 2 is labeled as "VERY LONG WAIT"? what the..? Make more copies or make them instant viewing

You can actually download episodes of DEXTER from Blockbuster for 1.99 each
And Tom is right..no where on Netflix can you complain about anything.
my truth

Osceola, AR

#49 Dec 17, 2010
another nail in the coffin for blockbuster. They now have to wait 28 days for new releases too. They will now have to change all of their commercials...to say you have to go to one of their very few stores to get a new release...

http://www.movieline.com/2010/12/blockbusters...
my truth

Osceola, AR

#50 Dec 17, 2010
Ebola Sandwich wrote:
Normally, I don't have a problem with Netflix,(Other than new releases....waiting - n - waiting)
BUT, since I started getting into Dexter, there's a bit of a problem. Season 3 is NOT available for instant viewing, although Seasons 1 and 2 were...wtf
It took a week and 1/2 to get disc 1, discs 3 and for took less than a week, and disc 2 is labeled as "VERY LONG WAIT"? what the..? Make more copies or make them instant viewing
You can actually download episodes of DEXTER from Blockbuster for 1.99 each
And Tom is right..no where on Netflix can you complain about anything.
actually if you want to complain, just go to the review section and post it. or you can call them.

http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs...
BMITW

Wylie, TX

#51 Dec 17, 2010
MY TRUTH....wrong again....well partially anyway.

NCR is the entity that has to wait 28 days.

Blockbuster is partnered with NCR to run their kiosks. These Kiosks are now subject to the same rules as Netflix and Redbox. This is a bit of a bummer BUT ONLY puts them on par with Redbox NOT Netflix since they are a completely online company.

Blockbuster online still offered DVD rental 28 days eariler as well as pay per view on-demand.(better service than Netflix)

The deal made with NCR was actually made to create lower costs for brokering future deals for streaming media. Again...DVD's are going to be exstinct in 3-5 years. So being on a level playing field with Redbox is not terrible. Infact BB should get out of the kiosks to and focus all efforts on an online deliverable.
BMITW

Wylie, TX

#52 Dec 17, 2010
Also
like or hate Blockbuster don't try to sabotage them and spread bad things such as "customer list and info selling" and other negative press.

This is a large company that provides jobs to many thousands of people. In this economy we should be hoping that they succeed. If anyone dislikes blockbuster for one reason or another..don't go there or subscribe or whatever...but defninately don't fear monger and cheer for it's demise.

There's plenty of room for competition and business growth in the sector. If they fail they fail on their own model and efforts not your lies and negative ignorence.
my truth

Osceola, AR

#53 Dec 17, 2010
BMITW wrote:
Also
like or hate Blockbuster don't try to sabotage them and spread bad things such as "customer list and info selling" and other negative press.
This is a large company that provides jobs to many thousands of people. In this economy we should be hoping that they succeed. If anyone dislikes blockbuster for one reason or another..don't go there or subscribe or whatever...but defninately don't fear monger and cheer for it's demise.
There's plenty of room for competition and business growth in the sector. If they fail they fail on their own model and efforts not your lies and negative ignorence.
customer lists are assets of a business. It can be sold as the result of bankruptcy. It can be sold to raise cash to pay off debtors. I can provide you sources where customer lists were sold as the result of banruptcy or a quick means of getting cash if you do not know how to use google.

Facts are facts. If you do not like facts about blockbuster then stay out of the netflix forum. I mean, why are you in the netflix forum spamming for blockbuster? As far as trying to sabotage blockbuster - well, you are on the netflix forum trying to sabotage netflix.

Oh yea, I find it interesting you are acceptable for the 28 day waiting period from blockbuster since you were using it against netflix. one more fact, the deal for the 28 day waiting period for new releases is almost the same deal Netflix got. By agreeing to wait 28 days, they received access to libraries of additional movies for streaming.

Yes blockbuster has thousands of employees but it is their fault those employees jobs are in jeopardy because of their poor business plan.
BMITW

Wylie, TX

#54 Dec 17, 2010
You like Facts...

1. FACT - NCR and Blockbuster are not the same company. NCR is bascially a glorified vending machine company. Blockbuster uses them (as does Redbox) for their branded kiosks.
NCR made the deal with WB and other studios for "vending" rights and cheaper rights to do so.
This is NOT a Blockbuster "deal" issue at all. Although it does impact a means for delivery.

2. FACT - Blockbuster is still 28 days earlier than Netflix on line with DVD and On-Demand.

3. FACT - The Deals that netflix has with studios; 1. DVD distribution and 2. Streaming are completely separate. Prime studios like WB and others DO NOT allow for streaming of new or recent content on NETFLIX unless specific movies rights are bought. This is not the same as a "studio deal" like they made with Relativity. The waiting period was enforced because WB and other studios realized that more revenue was available On-Demand and in via preferred distribution (i.e. Blockbuster)

4. FACT - Customer Lists are property and assets and can be transfered to another entity if Blockbuster is sold and or taken over by someone else. However this asset is still protected information and can't be sold strictly for "cash". What you are trying to imply is that millions of peoples private information (contracted with BB) names, addresses, CC info...etc can be and will be sold to the highest bidder...that's just not TRUE.

5. FACT - I'm not trying to sabotage anything or anyone. I have not spoken badly about Netflix AT ALL. I infact am a member of Netflix and prefer them over Blockbuster. However, I feel that Blockbuster is getting a bad wrap and not getting a fair chance to come back and offer good healthy competition in the market place. IT can only improve NF service and content going forward.

6. FACT - You and others like you are intent on spewing negative FALSE press about Blockbuster and creating a negative sentiment about a company that can succeed, maintain 10's of thousands of jobs, and improve overall deliverables in a nearly monopolized market.
BMITW

Wylie, TX

#55 Dec 17, 2010
ONE MORE FACT - this is the BLOCKBUSTER FORUM.

scroll to the top and see.....

"posted in the BLOCKBUSTER FORUM"
me say

Osceola, AR

#56 Dec 17, 2010
fact one - I already knew ncr is a different company. It too has blockbusters customers data.

fact two - go back and read what I originally wrote about blockbusters 28 day period.

fact three - you are totally wrong...the deal to wait 28 days did result in more content. Look up the universal and fox deal.

fact four - customers lists are assets and can be sold. I like the way you are backing down what you said in another post.

fact five - posts I made about blockbuster was to correct your blindness.

fact five - everything I said can be proven. I dont post links to a lot of sources because topix tends to delete posts with multiple outside links. You can find everything I said is true with a simple google search.

As far as posting in the blockbuster forum - I am not but I am - I was wrong about you spamming. Blockbuster forum is mirroring everything said in the netflix forum about blockbuster because the topix robo (or whatever it is called) is placing it there. I forgot topix will automatically search for posts and place them in their respected subject forum.
me say

Osceola, AR

#57 Dec 17, 2010
BMITW wrote:
ONE MORE FACT - this is the BLOCKBUSTER FORUM.
scroll to the top and see.....
"posted in the BLOCKBUSTER FORUM"
http://www.topix.com/com/netflix
BMITW

Wylie, TX

#58 Dec 20, 2010
LOL....

I love it.

1. So when you say "Blockbuster" has to wait 28 days and lost it's advantage to paraphrase; you actually knew that was a lie and wrong?

2. You actually agree with me that the 28 days eariler IS actaully an advantage; you just think it's a short lived one.(fair enough) BUT it's still a current advantage. Also for people like you that "buy" dvd's that will end within the next decade. DVD/BluRay will be dead. Your only options will be subscription or download.

3. Again the 28 waiting period is double edged sword. 1. It's a penalty, for non distributors (28 day wait for new content) 2. It's a means for more titles (yes) and potentially more streaming in the future. However that does NOT mean that all titles from all these studios will be available for streaming. Again WRONG and advantage BB.

4. I didn't back down from anything. THe fact of the matter is that you imply a highest bidder scenario. I am saying that the private information gathered and contracted by BB is NOT for "sale". However, if BB is sold or taken over and if business goes forward the lists can be transfered and used. These lists will NOT see light of day if BB is sold/taken over and disbanned. It's just not legally viable.

5. This goes back to #1 - what you assumed based on Poor journalism is that BB completely lost it's 28 advantage and you repeated it as fact. But as you said you knew NCR and BB are not the same and therefore did it on purpose.

REALLY A GOOGLE SEARCH? Seriously? Because if it's on the internet IT MUST BE TRUE!

Aliens have landed and taken of the White House...google it it's there...it must be true.

“Just my opinion”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#59 Dec 20, 2010
Bottomline- Netflix is a scumbag company to make people wait 28 days. There business is renting dvds at a fixed price. What the hell is convenient about waiting another 28 days? This is a major black eye for this company. Imagine if hot new trendy clothes line just came on the market. Now imagine if every store sold that product , accept for Macys. Macys did not sell it for 28 days because the company paid them to keep it unavailable. Now that would be stupid and people would buy the clothes somewhere else. If you think about it , this is the scumbag business practice that Netflix is using and they are losing customers... Streaming or not!
Nomo Blockbuster

Newhall, CA

#60 Dec 20, 2010
Blockbuster needs to close ALL stores at a minimum if it wants to see 2012. The rental store model is obsolete and Blockbuster is no longer a trusted name in the movie rental business. Blockbuster's idea of a 180 is closing 180 stores out of over 3,000. Netflix makes Blockbuster look pathetic and the actions, but mostly lack of actions, of Blockbuster's management justify why Blockbuster should cease to exist.
my truth

Osceola, AR

#61 Dec 21, 2010
tampabayallstar wrote:
Bottomline- Netflix is a scumbag company to make people wait 28 days. There business is renting dvds at a fixed price. What the hell is convenient about waiting another 28 days? This is a major black eye for this company. Imagine if hot new trendy clothes line just came on the market. Now imagine if every store sold that product , accept for Macys. Macys did not sell it for 28 days because the company paid them to keep it unavailable. Now that would be stupid and people would buy the clothes somewhere else. If you think about it , this is the scumbag business practice that Netflix is using and they are losing customers... Streaming or not!
blockbuster is now required to wait 28 days by some studios too. As far as netflix losing customers - not at this time.

http://ir.netflix.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Netflix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Do you want Netflix to get Youtube back? Tue LiamWiz 0
Hell On Wheels Mon Ralfm1945 1
What's your opinions? Mon Sladeerrr 1
Netflix coming and going list May 2 Allie 1
status bar when streaming won't disappear (Nov '11) May 1 Marko 11
Warehouse 13; season 4 disapeared! (Dec '13) Apr 30 J Krue 26
Netflix widget on a Vizio TV problem (Sep '10) Apr 27 Flash 349
Help! Netflix sound works--but picture lags behind (Mar '12) Apr 21 Vanessa 137
More from around the web