State's Jobless Rate Jumps To 7.1 Per...

State's Jobless Rate Jumps To 7.1 Percent

There are 78 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 24, 2009, titled State's Jobless Rate Jumps To 7.1 Percent. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The state Department of Labor reported Friday that Connecticut lost a total of 21,300 jobs in November and December, and, underscoring the trend, two employers - Webster Bank and MeadWestvaco - announced ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Distant observer

Satellite Provider

#65 Jan 24, 2009
I am amazed at the misguided finger pointing going on in these comments. I remember when tens of thousands of manufacturing left Conn. from shops large and small and went overseas in the name of free trade. Somehow many of you were convinced that giving a $20hr job to a worker in asia making $3hr would be good for our standard of living. I never saw that as reality. Wouldn't it be nice if those jobs were still there. As for the comments blamming Ct. Dems for all there problems, I can tell you in Mississippi where the republicans have a strangle hold on the state they have not advanced there citizens by sticking to consertive principales. I have been reading about Ct. towns looking at a 20% reduction in education funding and the possibility of worse shortages next year. I am currently serving in Iraq where taxpayer money is being fleeced in insane amounts. We are paying 5 times the price for services here than are paid in New York City and often don't even use them. So its time to start having an intelligent conversation about the bigger policies causing the problems at our local levels.
jim

AOL

#66 Jan 25, 2009
BigDaddy2 wrote:
<quoted text>It is the liberals who have created the problem. Everytime republicans attempted to question lending practices, the democrats said everything was just fine. Listen to Barney Franks, Chris Dodd, Maxine Waters, Diane Feinstein, and let's not forget, the messiah himself. It's all on the record.
hey dumbo the Dems only controlled those committees for 18 months while the neo -cons controlled them for 12 years. Did they not ask themselves??? LOL
jim

AOL

#67 Jan 25, 2009
Distant observer wrote:
I am amazed at the misguided finger pointing going on in these comments. I remember when tens of thousands of manufacturing left Conn. from shops large and small and went overseas in the name of free trade. Somehow many of you were convinced that giving a $20hr job to a worker in asia making $3hr would be good for our standard of living. I never saw that as reality. Wouldn't it be nice if those jobs were still there. As for the comments blamming Ct. Dems for all there problems, I can tell you in Mississippi where the republicans have a strangle hold on the state they have not advanced there citizens by sticking to consertive principales. I have been reading about Ct. towns looking at a 20% reduction in education funding and the possibility of worse shortages next year. I am currently serving in Iraq where taxpayer money is being fleeced in insane amounts. We are paying 5 times the price for services here than are paid in New York City and often don't even use them. So its time to start having an intelligent conversation about the bigger policies causing the problems at our local levels.
you have said it all THANK YOU
Leon Uris

AOL

#68 Jan 25, 2009
jim wrote:
<quoted text>hey dumbo the Dems only controlled those committees for 18 months while the neo -cons controlled them for 12 years. Did they not ask themselves??? LOL
Here is the question to ask yourself - Am I better off now than I was two years ago before the Dems took control? Nobody in this country is better off financially now then they were before the Dems took control. That's reality.
just a good guy

Agawam, MA

#69 Jan 25, 2009
Why do people have to result to name calling and finger pointing in these posts. Last I knew it was ok to have different opinions. Last I knew rep. and dems where all on the same TEAM, that would be the team of being an AMERICAN. Its ok to disagree folks, why can't you talk and chat like adults and not like a spoiled child being forced to eat his veggies.
BigDaddy2

Tempe, AZ

#70 Jan 25, 2009
jim wrote:
<quoted text>hey dumbo the Dems only controlled those committees for 18 months while the neo -cons controlled them for 12 years. Did they not ask themselves??? LOL
Hey "Idiot" look at the record! Without a two third majority, the demo blocked every move the repubs tried to make. It's all on the record.
Leon Uris

AOL

#71 Jan 25, 2009
jim wrote:
<quoted text>hey dumbo the Dems only controlled those committees for 18 months while the neo -cons controlled them for 12 years. Did they not ask themselves??? LOL
No response to my previous post? I guess you asked yourself the question and have discovered the answer. I'm guessing you were better off before the Dems took control and don't want to admit it on the blog.
anonymous bosch

Shelton, CT

#72 Jan 25, 2009
jim wrote:
<quoted text>hey dumbo the Dems only controlled those committees for 18 months while the neo -cons controlled them for 12 years. Did they not ask themselves??? LOL
18 months ago, just when the sh*t started hitting the fan.
jim

AOL

#73 Jan 25, 2009
Leon Uris wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the question to ask yourself - Am I better off now than I was two years ago before the Dems took control? Nobody in this country is better off financially now then they were before the Dems took control. That's reality.
iF YOU THINK THAT PILE OF SH-- HAPPENED IN THE LAST 2 YEARS YOU ARE ONE STUPID STPID MAN.
jim

AOL

#74 Jan 25, 2009
anonymous bosch wrote:
<quoted text>
18 months ago, just when the **** started hitting the fan.
There is a book written by a economist that works at NYU that described to a T exactly what was goig to happen with our economy and when. That book was published in 2005. Taken into account how long it takes to write a book that would be well before 18 months ago. The gentle man was on NPR recently and the funny thing is he said this bailout of wallstreet is a total waste of time and money. His claim is that if you gave the banks $5 trillion you would still have millions of americans unable to pay there mortgages he said that the ONLY way that we will get out of this mess is by increasing the wages in a large way so these americans could pay thier mortgage and hopefully reconstitute whats left of the middle class
Leon Uris

AOL

#75 Jan 25, 2009
jim wrote:
<quoted text>iF YOU THINK THAT PILE OF SH-- HAPPENED IN THE LAST 2 YEARS YOU ARE ONE STUPID STPID MAN.
Cool your anger. Look at the value of your property before and after the Dems took control, higher before perhaps? Look at the value of any pension funds before and after the Dems took control, higher before perhaps? Are the republicans blameless? Nope, but with Dem control the crap has hit the fan because all they seem to want to do is tax and spend. Get a grip -they are spending your hard earned money and mine too. Unemployment is out of control. Just wait until the tax bill comes for these ridiculous bailouts which were approved by both Dems and Repubs.
The Dems wanted an exit strategy for Iraq. Where is Obama's exit strategy for Gitmo? There is no exit strategy, just giving the libs what they want with no plan.
Obama is going back to funding international abortions. Who's paying for that? Yup, you and me. Our government is teetering and the libs are funding foreign abortions?
If you eat this stuff up, you will get what you deserve. Unfortunately, I have to pay for it too.
anonymous bosch

Shelton, CT

#76 Jan 25, 2009
jim wrote:
<quoted text>iF YOU THINK THAT PILE OF SH-- HAPPENED IN THE LAST 2 YEARS YOU ARE ONE STUPID STPID MAN.
Weren't you part of the moronic click that said that the 9/11 attacks happened on Bushes watch and therfore were his fault? Well the mortgage meltdown, the stock market crash and the unemployment rise all occured on Ms Pelosi, Reid, Dodd & Franks watch. all assumed
jim

AOL

#77 Jan 25, 2009
anonymous bosch wrote:
<quoted text>
Weren't you part of the moronic click that said that the 9/11 attacks happened on Bushes watch and therfore were his fault? Well the mortgage meltdown, the stock market crash and the unemployment rise all occured on Ms Pelosi, Reid, Dodd & Franks watch. all assumed
quite frankly I wasn't I thought there was enough blame to go all around there
jim

AOL

#78 Jan 25, 2009
Leon Uris wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool your anger. Look at the value of your property before and after the Dems took control, higher before perhaps? Look at the value of any pension funds before and after the Dems took control, higher before perhaps? Are the republicans blameless? Nope, but with Dem control the crap has hit the fan because all they seem to want to do is tax and spend. Get a grip -they are spending your hard earned money and mine too. Unemployment is out of control. Just wait until the tax bill comes for these ridiculous bailouts which were approved by both Dems and Repubs.
The Dems wanted an exit strategy for Iraq. Where is Obama's exit strategy for Gitmo? There is no exit strategy, just giving the libs what they want with no plan.
Obama is going back to funding international abortions. Who's paying for that? Yup, you and me. Our government is teetering and the libs are funding foreign abortions?
If you eat this stuff up, you will get what you deserve. Unfortunately, I have to pay for it too.
What?
Leon Uris

AOL

#79 Jan 25, 2009
jim wrote:
<quoted text>What?
What is it you don't understand? Aside from your anger, I thought you were an intelligent person.
jim

AOL

#80 Jan 25, 2009
Leon Uris wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it you don't understand? Aside from your anger, I thought you were an intelligent person.
Leon I said what, because you make no sense at all. Come on, to start talking about overseas abortions and what not you just started sounding like one of those single issue right wing zelots which quite frankly are starting to BORE me . Lets face it you are pretty well irrelevant
Red Sox Fan

AOL

#81 Jan 25, 2009
I prefer to look at the whole package. what I am seeing is not encouraging. The republicans are not much better than the dems. Obama's release of federal funding for foreign abortions was one of his first executive orders, right behind closing Gitmo. Are those two things the most important issues this country has to deal with? If that's what Obama thinks, it's going to be a long and painful four years.
jim

AOL

#82 Jan 26, 2009
Red Sox Fan wrote:
I prefer to look at the whole package. what I am seeing is not encouraging. The republicans are not much better than the dems. Obama's release of federal funding for foreign abortions was one of his first executive orders, right behind closing Gitmo. Are those two things the most important issues this country has to deal with? If that's what Obama thinks, it's going to be a long and painful four years.
Hey sox fan, all you have to do is look back into history here and you will see that in all presidents early days they right what they and thier supporters feel were wrongs by thier predicessor its not an everyday occurence more like low hanging fruit. with the amont of executive otders that Bush slammed down our throats look for more of these corrections. one will be the defunding of Haliburton for sure. GO SOX

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

MeadWestvaco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Covington mill's fate uncertain as MeadWestvaco... (Mar '09) Sep '14 sad for so many 55
meadwestvaco employees with cancer (Jan '13) Jan '13 dlv 1
mwv (Nov '10) Nov '10 bill long 1
News Caterer reopening Burgi's Roundhouse (Sep '10) Sep '10 paper news 1
News Community Leader Bill Earehart Dies At Age 70 (Jul '10) Jul '10 blacklabel 2
News 128 Jobs Coming To Richmond Area - wtvr (May '10) May '10 greendrive 7
News Call it a done deal (Dec '09) Dec '09 Peter 4
More from around the web