State's Jobless Rate Jumps To 7.1 Per...

State's Jobless Rate Jumps To 7.1 Percent

There are 78 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 24, 2009, titled State's Jobless Rate Jumps To 7.1 Percent. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The state Department of Labor reported Friday that Connecticut lost a total of 21,300 jobs in November and December, and, underscoring the trend, two employers - Webster Bank and MeadWestvaco - announced ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
alan

Elizabeth, NJ

#1 Jan 24, 2009
Everybody I knew thought it was bad this summer. Gioia and Klepper Smith have been around forever and just serve to provide quotes for the paper, not real ground level analysis. Same with Perna and Todd Martin(Peoples). Trust your own gut- not numbers.
Speedo

Colchester, CT

#2 Jan 24, 2009
sure the unemployment level is high but with our legislature it will be even higher when they come up with more new taxes for this budget. Why would anyone want to do business with all the taxes in Ct. The Democraps are driving business right out of the state
Mauna loa

Mesa, AZ

#4 Jan 24, 2009
What's wrong Nut-meg state. You went blue why all the heart ache. I thought you have everything figured out up there. Looking for another Government bailout. They have you right where they want you. Y'all forgot one thing, all ghettos are run by DemoRats or independents why would you want to run your base off. Pathetic.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another".
Laslo

Enfield, CT

#5 Jan 24, 2009
When all the productive people and successful businesses have left the state and tax collections have gone to zero, maybe the Democrat legislature can get a good deal on a bailout from Washington. After all, they are all Friends of Chris.
They Do Not Worry

United States

#6 Jan 24, 2009
I have 8 house on my street..5 of the homeowners are employed or retired from the State or are with a municiple gov't...They are HAPPY! They get their raises and COLAs and free health care...A State employee get a raise PLUS 1% on top of that for "longevity--eg just having the job"--so when retiring after 30 years at 55 or 58 years old they are making a third more in pension...One just bought a place in Florida, Dodd will go the way of his father Tom and FAST!
Bill

AOL

#7 Jan 24, 2009
$14.95 an hour jobs at Stop & Shop are not going to support a State Bureaucracy Industrial Base of 54K State Employees and a large class of non working, semi working and mentally Ill who are largly subsidised by the State.

People thinking this is just a bad slow down/recession that we will have to go through have no clue. They are the same ones who thought Citi could be leveraged 35 to 1 loaning money to people with no income to buy a 300K house and MBA's trading Derivatives that even smart people can't explain let alone understand. CT, NJ, CA and Mass. will be the first states to crumble and it is going to be very ugly.

OBL said he would destroy us financially. He did. We just don't understand that yet and that we did it to ourselves.
John Doe

Ellington, CT

#8 Jan 24, 2009
The Obama stimulus package will wipe all this out. Some of the stuff has me wondering....(400 million for sexually transmitted diseases) but I do hope to finally rid myself of those nagging warts. 500 million for the obeastity program apparently to be run by Oprah. One billion for after school play programs for children whose parents are to busy. And the list goes on.....

If you add the people out of work for a year plus (Clinton deleted that group), will we achieve double digits.

Since construction is an issue in our beautiful state....How about a pitch for a new state of the art Veterans Hospital in Connecticut. Maybe, we could even name it after a real veteran.
Haddam

Norwich, CT

#9 Jan 24, 2009
Why is there no comparison made to the good ol days of Jimmy Carter when there was massive unemployment and record interest rates? Pathetic reporting. Gloom and Doom! The lord helps those who help themselves!!!
Good Riddance

Cambridge, MA

#10 Jan 24, 2009
I am waiting for the Dems to put in place their pro-business "growth"policies.... ..not! Way to go Edith Prague..you and your Dem cohorst have succeeded in chasing business out of the state..lets spend more legislative time on trans fats and gay marraige or ther "pet" issues rather than fixing this state.. Yo Dems are clueless in CT
UNCLE SAM IS BACK

Southbury, CT

#11 Jan 24, 2009
dont worry just raise taxes......idiot conn voters that relected liberals back into office you will reap what you sowed...getem donovan....
Shoreliner

Pelham, NH

#12 Jan 24, 2009
What is occurring in Connecticut now economically is a microcosm of what will happen to the U.S. in whole.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that we will be giving to our children and grandchildren a massive level of debt and, ultimately, a lower standard of living.

The reason for this is that politicians - mostly liberals - have used government spending to specific groups in the hope of their support. It is all about power and the Democrats' willingness bankrupt Connecticut (and the U.S.) in order to maintain their power.

The MWV closure is a case study as to what is wrong with Connecticut. Like most businesses, MWV is streamling its manufacturing footprint and consolidating factories when possible.

The question for each Connecticut citizen is not why MWV did this but why didn't the company consolidate its envelope business nationally and move it to Enfield?

The answer is clear: Connecticut is not business friendly and firms know this.

Connecticut does offer:

- The highest aggregate tax rate in the U.S.
- A very high cost structure due in part to taxes
- Overly intrusive regulation on business
- An overzealous AG whose primary goal in life appears to make the lives of businessmen miserable

When the economy strengthens, the MWV jobs and others like them will not be coming back to Connecticut unless there are radical changes to the business environment in Connecticut.

For this to happen, all liberals must be voted out of office and replaced with conservatives who know how to build, expand, and attract business.
not fair

United States

#13 Jan 24, 2009
topix blocks all comments thank you commies
Peter North

Bedford, TX

#14 Jan 24, 2009
Way to go Jodi.
Reaganomics

Hyannis, MA

#15 Jan 24, 2009
Start counting people who've exhausted their unemployment benefits and it's more like 15%. (See ya at the soup kitchen...or the FEMA camp.)

Since: Apr 08

West Hartford

#16 Jan 24, 2009
They Do Not Worry wrote:
I have 8 house on my street..5 of the homeowners are employed or retired from the State or are with a municiple gov't...They are HAPPY! They get their raises and COLAs and free health care...A State employee get a raise PLUS 1% on top of that for "longevity--eg just having the job"--so when retiring after 30 years at 55 or 58 years old they are making a third more in pension...One just bought a place in Florida, Dodd will go the way of his father Tom and FAST!
They are like the "Borg" in StarTrek.

They do their damage and then move on to more tax friendly States. A friend of mine who is now retired from the State DOE has just declared Florida residence. He objected to payingthe high taxes he helped bring about.

Senior complexes in Florida are stuffed with former teachers from and union members from the northeast. My mothers complex even has a teachers union office on the premises.

Since: Apr 08

West Hartford

#17 Jan 24, 2009
Good Riddance wrote:
I am waiting for the Dems to put in place their pro-business "growth"policies.... ..not! Way to go Edith Prague..you and your Dem cohorst have succeeded in chasing business out of the state..lets spend more legislative time on trans fats and gay marraige or ther "pet" issues rather than fixing this state.. Yo Dems are clueless in CT
Unfortunately, so are the ignorant masses who kep voting these clowns in; in ever increasing numbers!
Tony E

Hebron, CT

#18 Jan 24, 2009
West Hartford 6 wrote:
<quoted text>
They are like the "Borg" in StarTrek.
They do their damage and then move on to more tax friendly States. A friend of mine who is now retired from the State DOE has just declared Florida residence. He objected to payingthe high taxes he helped bring about.
Senior complexes in Florida are stuffed with former teachers from and union members from the northeast. My mothers complex even has a teachers union office on the premises.
I say good riddance to the leeches. Let florida take care of them now. It's Florida health care system that will have to deal with these feeble old leeches. Florida will have to build more hospitals
Richard

United States

#19 Jan 24, 2009
Let's add Dodd to the unemployment list.

And then start cutting back the role of the government to what it should be.
How can it be

United States

#20 Jan 24, 2009
I don't understand how this can be happening. Didn't Lowell P (PIG) Weicker cut the corporate income tax rate from 13.8% to 7.5% and didn't Johnny Boy institute all kinds of tax credits and didn't the Queen Bee add onto those credits. You see folks, cutting corporate tax rates and giving credits does NOTHING. CEOs are driven by money in THEIR pockets. Remember how many companies starting moving to Fairfield County from NYC when NYC put a local income tax in in 1969. How many major companies have moved to CT since 1991 when Lowell Weicer rammed the income tax down our throats. NONE except the companies we bribe, RBS and UBS and they are both laying off hundreds of people.
Good Riddance

Cambridge, MA

#21 Jan 24, 2009
CT keeps electing Dems because more people are on the dole than those who pay taxes. When your tax structure is an inversted pyramid where a small % of the people pay the vast majority of taxes -- there is little incentive for most people to care about spending..after all it's not going to come out of their pocket...so they keep voting in the same spenders who promise to further sock it to the "rich"
At the federal level the top 20% pay 85% of the taxes,the bottome 39% pay 0 and the bottom 50% pay 5%. Obama is proposing to change this so 57% pay no taxes..this will further the entitlement mentality and further disinsent people from caring about what the Gov't spends since its not their money..that is how the Dems play the game

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

MeadWestvaco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Covington mill's fate uncertain as MeadWestvaco... (Mar '09) Sep '14 sad for so many 55
meadwestvaco employees with cancer (Jan '13) Jan '13 dlv 1
mwv (Nov '10) Nov '10 bill long 1
News Caterer reopening Burgi's Roundhouse (Sep '10) Sep '10 paper news 1
News Community Leader Bill Earehart Dies At Age 70 (Jul '10) Jul '10 blacklabel 2
News 128 Jobs Coming To Richmond Area - wtvr (May '10) May '10 greendrive 7
News Call it a done deal (Dec '09) Dec '09 Peter 4