Cigarettes Are Safe as Long as You Ju...

Cigarettes Are Safe as Long as You Just Invest in Them: Riskless Return

There are 4 comments on the Bloomberg story from Feb 1, 2012, titled Cigarettes Are Safe as Long as You Just Invest in Them: Riskless Return. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

Tobacco companies handed investors the best returns in the last decade when adjusted for volatility, and analysts at BNY Mellon Wealth Management and Janney Montgomery Scott LLC say that will continue as profits prove resilient amid economic turmoil.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

No Smoking Sign

Littleton, CO

#1 Feb 2, 2012
I called my investment broker today - to see if I should add some tobacco stock to my portfolio - hell, if I have to put up with your smoking, I might as well get your money too. HAHAHAHA - hey linda - keep on puffing!! CHA-CHING!!!
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#2 Feb 2, 2012
Seems to me there were some threads a while back about the reports of individual companies. Across the board it said that sales were way down by quantity, but the companies had just jacked up their price per unit and the profits rolled in just fine.

There is something to be said for the effectiveness of the business model: Addict children, and take them for all they're worth for the rest of their lives!
No Smoking Sign

Littleton, CO

#3 Feb 2, 2012
Hugh Jass wrote:
Seems to me there were some threads a while back about the reports of individual companies. Across the board it said that sales were way down by quantity, but the companies had just jacked up their price per unit and the profits rolled in just fine.
There is something to be said for the effectiveness of the business model: Addict children, and take them for all they're worth for the rest of their lives!
Let's face it, Big tobacco will always be Big tobacco as long as there are people who continue to resist all evidence to the dangers of smoking and as long as they continue to breed, which brings more future customers to the tobacco companies. After all, their kids, due to the second hand smoke are probably addicts before their 5 years old.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#4 Feb 2, 2012
No Smoking Sign wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's face it, Big tobacco will always be Big tobacco as long as there are people who continue to resist all evidence to the dangers of smoking and as long as they continue to breed, which brings more future customers to the tobacco companies. After all, their kids, due to the second hand smoke are probably addicts before their 5 years old.
This is the first time I've read the "secondhand addiction" concept coming back to me from someone else. Okoli?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

MSCI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Friday's ETF with Unusual Volume: USMV (Sep '14) Sep '14 Philip Cohen 1
News Global Private Equity and Venture Capital Inves... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Roy Propsner 1
News More fallout from looming nuclear disaster in J... (Mar '11) Mar '11 nuclear buffoons 1
More from around the web