Judge overturns USDA ruling for genetic sugar beets

Full story: TwinCities.com 9
Red River Valley sugar beet growers are evaluating a federal judge's decision that could overturn the approval of the popular Roundup Ready sugar beets. Full Story
A Dope

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Sep 23, 2009
The judge is a dope who is scientifically illiterate
Frankenbeets

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 23, 2009
"The judge ordered APHIS to produce an environmental impact statement examining the issue." Why isn't an EIS done for all approvals? Why didn't the farmers, coops and American Crystal demand one?

"Some planting conventional beets are in more disease-prone areas and prefer to rely on conventional varieties." Does this mean the Roundup Ready varieties are more prone to diseases? Didn't Monsanto factor that into their genetic manipulations, or do they happen to also market pesticides to treat these diseases?
Kris

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Sep 23, 2009
Although I doubt this judge's ruling will hold I'm pleased that someone looked beyond the big ag name to seriously think about the implications of genetically modified crops. While future use of the Roundup Ready varieties will probably be more influenced by the limitations on selling the product to countries which refuse to buy genetically modified foods instead of on the common sense not to, it's still a move in the right direction.
yuck

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Sep 23, 2009
Can I please have a side of Roundup with my food?
Gee, why are cancer rates so high?
Cybear

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Sep 23, 2009
yuck wrote:
You are as scientifically ignorant as this judge.
Beat Me

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Sep 24, 2009
A Dope wrote:
The judge is a dope who is scientifically illiterate
You would know one to be one!

He is trying to better your arse.

Would you like a side of cancer
with that coffee?

And besides BIG money always get
there way in the end anyways so
don't be so uptight.
God Knows Best

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Sep 24, 2009
Cybear wrote:
<quoted text>
You are as scientifically ignorant as this judge.
I hope they don't clone your ignorant brain.
It would be a sad sad world with fools like you.
Jimmy Carter

Lakeville, MN

#8 Sep 24, 2009
God Knows Best wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope they don't clone your ignorant brain.
It would be a sad sad world with fools like you.
I have to agree with your Moniker. God does know best. That is why he gives mankind the intelligence to genetically engineer crops.
CareLes

Saint Michael, MN

#9 Sep 25, 2009
yuck wrote:
No, I'm sorry ... you will have to stick to the more toxic cocktail of a half dozen other deadlier chemicals (as you have in the past) because ignorant popular opinion has taken away the option of using advancements in genetic technology that would facilitate the use of the safer pesticide (roundup) on this crop.

Les

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monsanto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GMO battles over 'settled' science spur new stu... Nov '14 One way or another 2
Colorado ballot decisions include personhood, G... Sep '14 Sneaky Pete 6
......the....FARMER..is...GOD,..not.. (Mar '13) Jun '14 What 9
Organic Consumers Association: Divest Monsanto ... (May '14) May '14 frontporchreactio... 1
GMO critics protest at Monsanto meeting; resolu... (Jan '14) May '14 BEN GURION Scandals 6
Earnings Expectations For The Week Of September... (Sep '13) Oct '13 PinkNBrains 6
DuPont: New Life for an Ancient Company (Sep '13) Sep '13 EULU 1
More from around the web