Philip Morris Misled Smokers on Light...

Philip Morris Misled Smokers on Light Cigarettes, Jury Told

There are 5 comments on the Bloomberg story from Oct 25, 2011, titled Philip Morris Misled Smokers on Light Cigarettes, Jury Told. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

A judge hearing claims that Altria Group Inc. 's Philip Morris unit deceived Missouri smokers in marketing Marlboro Lights declared a mistrial after jurors said they couldn't reach a decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

jon

Eatontown, NJ

#1 Oct 25, 2011
this case is 12 years old. a class action no less where in other states it wasn't allowed. when is enough is enough? time to bug the politicians.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#2 Oct 25, 2011
Isn't the deception over light cigarettes part of what the industry was found guilty of in the RICO trial? I would think that burden of proof had already been dealt with.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#3 Oct 25, 2011
The question isn't "did lights cost more per pack?" but "Did belief that lights were safer increase consumption and reduce efforts to quit?"
gronsko

Trencin, Slovakia

#5 Nov 20, 2011
As reading all the post about ligh cigarette smoking, I am maybe the only one on the globe who disagree with all the same answers. I can understand that massive anti-smoking campaign does not know the word YES, there is only NO to everything (except stop smoking completely). My aswer is YES, smoking light or ultra light cigarettes the same way as the regular cigarettes is less harmfull. There is evidence of less tar and nicotine in "lights". Of course, the best thing you could do is to stop at all, I agree. But for those lifetime smokers who can never quit, switching to lights or ultra lights is a big step ahead. First of all, you'll get used to less nicotine and have a greater chance to stop at all later. Secondly, if the amount of harmfull smoke in your body decreases to 50% of what is used to be, the risk of health problems decreases as well (even 10% is better then nothing). Now, the ultra light slims are thinner, the volume of tobacco is about 50% of the regular cigarette of the same length. If you also find a way to slowly reduce the quantity (from 20 to 10 a day etc..)that also helps. And once again, smoking is bad, smokers have greater chance of getting many kinds of cancer and other health problems. The best way to avoid them is to quit smoking at all. Now, let me live.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#6 Dec 12, 2011
gronsko wrote:
As reading all the post about ligh cigarette smoking, I am maybe the only one on the globe who disagree with all the same answers. I can understand that massive anti-smoking campaign does not know the word YES, there is only NO to everything (except stop smoking completely). My aswer is YES, smoking light or ultra light cigarettes the same way as the regular cigarettes is less harmfull. There is evidence of less tar and nicotine in "lights". Of course, the best thing you could do is to stop at all, I agree. But for those lifetime smokers who can never quit, switching to lights or ultra lights is a big step ahead. First of all, you'll get used to less nicotine and have a greater chance to stop at all later. Secondly, if the amount of harmfull smoke in your body decreases to 50% of what is used to be, the risk of health problems decreases as well (even 10% is better then nothing). Now, the ultra light slims are thinner, the volume of tobacco is about 50% of the regular cigarette of the same length. If you also find a way to slowly reduce the quantity (from 20 to 10 a day etc..)that also helps. And once again, smoking is bad, smokers have greater chance of getting many kinds of cancer and other health problems. The best way to avoid them is to quit smoking at all. Now, let me live.
Your response to the word "lights" is a prime example of what the courts said the tobacco companies had been spreading. They are not safer. It's a scam to get people who might otherwise quit to BELIEVE they have "taken a step" so that the motivation to quit is pushed away for a while. Hey, if it also increases your resistance to external suggestions that you quit (even to making you respond with belligerence because you're "already doing something about it so let me live"), then you are even less likely to stop buying product.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altria Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California raises smoking age to 21, tightens v... 7 hr Pete 1
News Judge Criticizes Tobacco Lawyers' 'Ridiculous' ... Feb '16 well 1
News Better economy has smokers buying more Marlboros (Aug '15) Aug '15 Thinker 4
News Altriaa s Profit Rises on Higher Marlboro Price... (Jan '11) Apr '15 Long Darby 2
News 15 years later, tobacco giants fight legal batt... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Your Ex 4
News E-Cigarettes Pose Public Health Concern, Califo... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Sneaky Pete 4
News No Raise At Work, Again? Follow The Yellow Bric... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Laura 1
More from around the web