Minnesota court revives suit against ...

Minnesota court revives suit against Philip Morris

There are 68 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 28, 2010, titled Minnesota court revives suit against Philip Morris. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Minnesota Court of Appeals has revived a class-action lawsuit against the Philip Morris tobacco company by smokers of its Marlboro Light cigarettes The plaintiffs argued the company used fraud and misrepresentation to convince consumers that the light or low-tar cigarettes were less dangerous than standard varieties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Archies World

Montréal, Canada

#66 Jan 4, 2011
2011 Legislative session: brace yourselves for the crazy

by: The Big E
Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 17:00:00 PM CST
Governor Mark Dayton was sworn in today. The new legislators will be sworn in soon. And the 2011 legislative session will be underway shortly.
As the new year begins, a new age dawns in politics at the state capitol. A DFL Governor will be blocking the many initiatives of a Republican legsislature. A complete reverse of the last 8 years in which Gov. Pawlenty thwarted DFL initiatives.

As I look toward the upcoming session, I want to warn you to brace yourselves. The Republicans are going to be bringing the full-on crazy.

These are the people who believe global climate change is a hoax.

They believe in no new taxes, but could care less that their LGA cuts force local governments to jack up property taxes.

They don't believe in evolution; they believe dinosaurs roamed the earth with cavemen and the world is 6,000 years old and other such creationist nonsense.

They believe in personal responsibility for everyone but themselves.

They believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution except for the parts they don't agree with.

They believe in tax breaks for millionaires while at the same time slashing services for the poor, elderly, children and mentally ill.

They believe in a state's right to choose to opt out of any federal law, but simultaneously believe that a woman shouldn't have the right to choose what to do with her own body.

They believe that public education is a failure and that the teachers are the problem. To that end they want to slash education funding so that our public education system fails.
These are the people who will be writing the budget bills and chairing the Environment, Health and Human Services and Education Committees. The inmates will be running the asylum.

http://www.mnprogressiveproject.com/
obvious

Carol Stream, IL

#67 Jan 4, 2011
Archies World wrote:
2011 Legislative session: brace yourselves for the crazy
by: The Big E
Mon Jan 03, 2011 at 17:00:00 PM CST
Governor Mark Dayton was sworn in today. The new legislators will be sworn in soon. And the 2011 legislative session will be underway shortly.
As the new year begins, a new age dawns in politics at the state capitol. A DFL Governor will be blocking the many initiatives of a Republican legsislature. A complete reverse of the last 8 years in which Gov. Pawlenty thwarted DFL initiatives.
As I look toward the upcoming session, I want to warn you to brace yourselves. The Republicans are going to be bringing the full-on crazy.
These are the people who believe global climate change is a hoax.
They believe in no new taxes, but could care less that their LGA cuts force local governments to jack up property taxes.
They don't believe in evolution; they believe dinosaurs roamed the earth with cavemen and the world is 6,000 years old and other such creationist nonsense.
They believe in personal responsibility for everyone but themselves.
They believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution except for the parts they don't agree with.
They believe in tax breaks for millionaires while at the same time slashing services for the poor, elderly, children and mentally ill.
They believe in a state's right to choose to opt out of any federal law, but simultaneously believe that a woman shouldn't have the right to choose what to do with her own body.
They believe that public education is a failure and that the teachers are the problem. To that end they want to slash education funding so that our public education system fails.
These are the people who will be writing the budget bills and chairing the Environment, Health and Human Services and Education Committees. The inmates will be running the asylum.
http://www.mnprogressiveproject.com/
sorry the "full on crazy" is from extreme on the left
nick

Victoria, MN

#68 Jan 4, 2011
i still havent seen any hard PROOF smoking causes cancer and dont buy in to all the idiot liberals claims and when all the tax money is gone from cigs then what you going to take more out of my ass
Andover Andy

Minneapolis, MN

#69 Jan 4, 2011
nick wrote:
i still havent seen any hard PROOF smoking causes cancer and dont buy in to all the idiot liberals claims and when all the tax money is gone from cigs then what you going to take more out of my ass
Gee, Andy, pretty much every medical researcher and doctor agrees that smoking is harmful to your health. You must be very highly educated to be more knowledgeable than America's doctors.

One thing bothers me though - if you are that highly educated, how come you aren't familiar with punctuation and capitalization?
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#70 Jan 4, 2011
Old Lady wrote:
<quoted text>
True but in order for a person to receive any type of compensation that would actually be beneficial to them, they would need to file a lawsuit independent of a class action by opting out of the class action lawsuit. The ONLY beneficiaries of a class action lawsuit are the lawyers and the government. They receive the largess of any settlement in lawyers fees and government fines/penalties. The actual so-called victim receives a pittance of the settlement. So do find this fair? If the lawsuits were just meant to stop tobacco companies from falsely advertising their products as safer and make them stop adding addictive substances to the products, I would be all for them. But they do not do this. Nor do the lawsuits deter smoking. So exactly what good comes from them? People will continue to smoke, knowing this could kill them and/or make them ill. Then when this happens, they want to sue the manufacture of a product they willingly made the choice to use, even knowing the dangers of the product. And this is supposed to be allowed to go on for how long? This doesn't seem right to me. If you respond, please address the class action lawsuit issue I have commented on several times now, instead of just talking about how the tobacco companies deserve to be sued. You haven't yet and I am interested in your thoughts on this.
While there may be times in which a class action does provide for more than a pittance to those who suffered from the crimes, I doubt this will be one of them.

I think we can agree that the companies engaged in illegal unethical behavior and should be stopped. If they are allowed to commit fraud, then other companies will be encouraged to commit fraud as well.

I don't suggest I have the answer, but we can make suggestions, debate the topic and perhaps come up with a better answer. How about simply forcing the companies to educate the public about their products, the added ingredients for the purpose of further addiction, the harm that is done, the damage to lungs of smokers and non-smokers alike, the profits made because of the addictions,advertisements showing people dying in surgery because of smoking, showing people who have to carry around oxygen tanks and still smoke?

It is difficult to asses how to divide the responsibility between the consumer and the tobacco company and I don't have an answer, just that to some degree both are responsible. Perhaps the company has to pay all medical bills associated with smoking and the consumer has to suffer and possibly die. If they had to pay for those bills, perhaps the price of smokes would rise high enough so that many fewer would smoke.
What the

Manchester, CT

#71 Jan 4, 2011
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the company has to pay all medical bills associated with smoking and the consumer has to suffer and possibly die. If they had to pay for those bills, perhaps the price of smokes would rise high enough so that many fewer would smoke.
I agree with the spirit of your arguements, but how can you apply this to only one industry when ALL have skeletons in their closet. Just like the fast food industry not being held liable for their adding stuff to their products to make them addictive and lying about how good their food is for a persons health. It will take personal responsibility to drive these companies out of business not law suits.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#72 Jan 4, 2011
What the wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with the spirit of your arguements, but how can you apply this to only one industry when ALL have skeletons in their closet. Just like the fast food industry not being held liable for their adding stuff to their products to make them addictive and lying about how good their food is for a persons health. It will take personal responsibility to drive these companies out of business not law suits.
I don't intend to apply this to only one industry. This is a site referring to the suit against Philip Morris for cigarettes. There clearly has been fraudulent advertising by the smoking industry.

The complaint against fast food companies is a little more debatable. For example, where does the fraudulent advertising come in? Does including children's toys in products some would call not good for children mean they broke any laws?

I am not saying they have or have not committed fraud, just that I am less aware of the actions.

Part of my previous argument was to argue for enforcement of laws against fraud in advertising so that other industries won't commit fraud against the public.

If they break the law, then we should see them in court.

Personal responsibility? I am all in favor. Will it drive them out of business? I doubt it would do it alone.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#74 Jan 7, 2011
The Government condemns smoking, the Courts hit them with huge settlements. The Feds and state continue to tax them to provide additional revenue.
We will not ban them because we would lose revenue and black marketers would fill the void.
Quite the problem.
Must be a lot of profit in making smokes!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altria Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California raises smoking age to 21, tightens v... (May '16) Feb 27 Say What 56
News Supreme Court: Altria can be sued for 'light' c... (Dec '08) Feb '17 Martin garey 7
News EU Supports Joint Operation of Illicit Cigarett... Dec '16 Well 2
News Philip Morris seen getting serious about Altria... Dec '16 Mugs mahone 1
News Is this Large Market Cap Stock target price rea... Dec '16 Mugs mahone 1
Market sentiment (Feb '14) Oct '16 Mugs mahone 7
News Altria Group: An Attractive Investment (Apr '14) Jul '16 Mugs mahone 2
More from around the web