Minnesota court revives suit against ...

Minnesota court revives suit against Philip Morris

There are 68 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 28, 2010, titled Minnesota court revives suit against Philip Morris. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Minnesota Court of Appeals has revived a class-action lawsuit against the Philip Morris tobacco company by smokers of its Marlboro Light cigarettes The plaintiffs argued the company used fraud and misrepresentation to convince consumers that the light or low-tar cigarettes were less dangerous than standard varieties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

Mayfield, KY

#1 Dec 29, 2010
Any retard who thinks smoking is not dangerous deserves what they get. This is getting old.

Since: Apr 08

Eden Prairie, MN

#2 Dec 29, 2010
Altria Client Services veep Murray Garnick says "We believe it is inappropriate to give class-action status to smokers' claims" but apparently believes it is appropriate for the tobacco industry to manufacture, distribute and sell products that cause disease and death. How much money does Altria pay you, Murray, to defend merchant of death Phillip Morris USA?
Sharon Anderson

AOL

#3 Dec 29, 2010
Seems to me that Special Master Lawyer Mark Gehan's Settlement's now must be overruled similar to www.mgsfsettlement.com pending tomorrow is last day for Claims. No Statute of Limitations on Fraud or Murder
www.scribd.com/sharon4anderson

Since: Apr 08

Eden Prairie, MN

#4 Dec 29, 2010
lobster68w wrote:
Any **** who thinks smoking is not dangerous deserves what they get. This is getting old.
Yes, smoking's for idiots, and people who believe tobacco industry lies instead of medical science truth beginning with the first "U.S. Surgeon General's Report on Smoking and Health" in 1964 aren't entitled to any sympathy. Tobacco companies, however, still have a duty to voluntarily refrain from engaging in consumer fraud.
Sandra

Chicago, IL

#5 Dec 29, 2010
The judges are worse than the lawyers.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Dec 29, 2010
Lying to the public to get the public to behave in ways which brings profit to a company?? The people are hurt but the corporation makes a profit

How is that different than Fox News lying to the public to bring profit by electing republicans owned by corporations? The people are hurt but the corporations make a profit.

Both are fraud. Both are lying to separate people from their money in an unethical way.

One gets praised, the other condemned. Hypocrisy.
Margaret

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Dec 29, 2010
the Minneapolis law firm Lommen, Abdo, Cole, King & Stageberg,You greedy pi g s need to get a real job. and hopfully the plaintiffs will die before they see a penny.

I do not smoke but I am smart enough to know that Phillip Morris owns Kraft foods and many other company's so we will all pay the price for this lawsuit.

These losers should have never started smoking in the first place.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#8 Dec 29, 2010
SeaShark wrote:
Altria Client Services veep Murray Garnick says "We believe it is inappropriate to give class-action status to smokers' claims" but apparently believes it is appropriate for the tobacco industry to manufacture, distribute and sell products that cause disease and death. How much money does Altria pay you, Murray, to defend merchant of death Phillip Morris USA?
I am guessing Hundreds of Thousands of dollars. Sometimes the only real difference between a streetwalker and a lawyer is the price.
RIOT

Madison, WI

#9 Dec 29, 2010
Don Joe wrote:
Lying to the public to get the public to behave in ways which brings profit to a company?? The people are hurt but the corporation makes a profit
How is that different than Fox News lying to the public to bring profit by electing republicans owned by corporations? The people are hurt but the corporations make a profit.
Both are fraud. Both are lying to separate people from their money in an unethical way.
One gets praised, the other condemned. Hypocrisy.
Fox news does not lie, if you want to hear the "SPIN" check out Morning Joe or other liberal bias media. Corporations are in business, they are suppose to make a profit so they can stay in business, pay their employees and pay taxes. The tobacco industry did not go to the store, pay money to buy their product, put it in the mouth and light it up. That is the responsibility of the person, we all know that liberals don't take responsibility for their actions. As a conservative it is now up to the smoker who has been educated and there is no one on this earth that does not know that smoking is bad for you.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#10 Dec 29, 2010
SeaShark wrote:
. How much money does Altria pay you, Murray, to defend merchant of death Phillip Morris USA?
Philip Morris USA is defined as a Merchnat of Death? Please go on the coroporate website and see the number of companies they own and the amount of service and goods they provide, not only this country, but world wide.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#11 Dec 29, 2010
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>
Philip Morris USA is defined as a Merchnat of Death? Please go on the coroporate website and see the number of companies they own and the amount of service and goods they provide, not only this country, but world wide.
You have a point: DEATH is merely a subdivision of Phillip Morris.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Dec 29, 2010
RIOT wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox news does not lie, if you want to hear the "SPIN" check out Morning Joe or other liberal bias media. Corporations are in business, they are suppose to make a profit so they can stay in business, pay their employees and pay taxes. The tobacco industry did not go to the store, pay money to buy their product, put it in the mouth and light it up. That is the responsibility of the person, we all know that liberals don't take responsibility for their actions. As a conservative it is now up to the smoker who has been educated and there is no one on this earth that does not know that smoking is bad for you.
Is this sarcasm? Fox news doesn't lie? Who would believe that? They photoshop all their news. Morning Joe? You mean the morning joe, Rebublican, who would lie to support any republican position? There are no liberal media outlets. Can you name one outlet not owned by the wealthy?

Do you really think the media is not lying to you? Do you ever actually look around to see what is happening?

You claim to be ignorant of the massive lies, yet claim responsibility? Which is it? Are you taking responsibility for your actions or are you claiming it wasn't your fault because you didn't know any better?

As to corporations being in business to make a buck, what are you referring to? Do you mean the $500,000,000 lost trying to get Fox News up and running? How is that making a profit? It was an attempt to purchase a propaganda machine, nothing more. The more you believe them, the more money they can take from the treasury. It doesn't really matter any more because they have taken all that was there and all we can borrow. They almost have all the wealth the middle class used to have. The only group left for them to steal from the is the moderately wealthy.

If you are moderately wealthy, don't look around expecting someone to help you, you already turned your back on everyone else.
LeDumbo

Monroe, LA

#13 Dec 29, 2010
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>
Madamutt is the merchant of dumb.
you lie

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Dec 29, 2010
LeDumbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Madamutt is the merchant of dumb.
Birthers Challenge Hawaii to Produce Statehood Certificate

KAILUA, HAWAII (The Borowitz Report)- Leaders of the so-called Birther movement followed President Obama on his Hawaiian vacation today to demand that Hawaii prove it is actually a U.S. state.

Mr. Obama's claim to American citizenship has rested on his birthplace being Hawaii, but the Birthers argued today that Hawaii's claim to being part of America is far from a foregone conclusion.

Speaking to reporters in Kailua, Birther leader Orly Taitz said that Hawaii cannot be considered part of the United States "unless it can produce an authentic statehood certificate."

Ms. Taitz said that she did a thorough title search on the islands and has concluded that rather than being a U.S. state, "the islands of Hawaii appear to be colonies of Kenya."

"That means that everyone born in Hawaii is legally not an American but a Kenyan," she said, "which I find ironic."

The Birthers' contention that Hawaii is not a state promptly drew support from one leading Republican politician, former Governor Sarah Palin.

"To be honest, it's something I've always kind of wondered about," Gov. Palin said. "Hawaii just isn't an American-sounding name, like Alaska."
Archie

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 29, 2010
Is there any reason why comments on this subject are no longer allowed on this topic?
Old Lady

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Dec 29, 2010
This is ridiculous! I am a smoker. I know it is bad for me and may just kill me. I do not subject others to my cigarette smoking and do it outside, well away from others and building entrances. It is my choice to smoke and mine alone. The tobacco companies are not at fault for my smoking, I am. We've all known for many years that there are no light, lower tar & nicotine cigarettes that are safer to smoke, regardless of the advertising. We have KNOWN this, so smokers need not deny it now so they can sue and make a buck. Tobacco companies use marketing tactics just like any other company. People need to take responsibility for their own choices and decisions and stop blaming everyone else when/if something goes wrong. It's called being a grown up.
Troll Alert

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Dec 29, 2010
you lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Birthers Challenge Hawaii to Produce Statehood Certificate
KAILUA, HAWAII (The Borowitz Report)- Leaders of the so-called Birther movement followed President Obama on his Hawaiian vacation today to demand that Hawaii prove it is actually a U.S. state.
Mr. Obama's claim to American citizenship has rested on his birthplace being Hawaii, but the Birthers argued today that Hawaii's claim to being part of America is far from a foregone conclusion.
Speaking to reporters in Kailua, Birther leader Orly Taitz said that Hawaii cannot be considered part of the United States "unless it can produce an authentic statehood certificate."
Ms. Taitz said that she did a thorough title search on the islands and has concluded that rather than being a U.S. state, "the islands of Hawaii appear to be colonies of Kenya."
"That means that everyone born in Hawaii is legally not an American but a Kenyan," she said, "which I find ironic."
The Birthers' contention that Hawaii is not a state promptly drew support from one leading Republican politician, former Governor Sarah Palin.
"To be honest, it's something I've always kind of wondered about," Gov. Palin said. "Hawaii just isn't an American-sounding name, like Alaska."
This same exact post is showing up on various threads today under different user names and ISP addresses.
Archie

Minneapolis, MN

#18 Dec 29, 2010
Troll alert

The site moderator allows Le' jumbo to committ site vandalism in arguments he cant win by posting under many different names and even using the posting names of others.

The left is desperate and naturally dishonest and That makes them obvious to normal posters..
john

Eatontown, NJ

#19 Dec 29, 2010
class action was denied in florida. end of story. ain't gonna fly.
Archie

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Dec 29, 2010
John

The lawsuit against BT on behalf of 66,000 airline attendentants by private attorney Stanley and Susan Rosenblatt did not end so well for the airline attendentants whos' only victory was to sue BT on an individual basis,but no monetray reward, That went to Stanley and Sue Rosenblatt in that florida courtroom of 49 million dollars that went into the rosenblatts account,

The research and groundwork that was done at NE University in Boston's product liability department and Doctor Bayard on a 1.1 million dollar cancer research grant from Dr Marc manley grant administrator for the NIH at the time.(Yes same Manley from BCBSMN's anti tobacco squad)Not one dime of the 1.1 million dollar cancer research grant was used for research or returned to taxpayers. No one has ever mentioned how Rosenblatt ended up with the gravy from a lawsuit started by taxpayer funds, Bayard and Ed Sweda of the products liability department at NE University in Boston did sue Dicky Scruggs for .005% of the 246 billion dollar national tobacco settlement for helping to sue BT... Only in America huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Altria Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California raises smoking age to 21, tightens v... (May '16) Feb '17 Say What 56
News Supreme Court: Altria can be sued for 'light' c... (Dec '08) Feb '17 Martin garey 7
News EU Supports Joint Operation of Illicit Cigarett... Dec '16 Well 2
News Philip Morris seen getting serious about Altria... Dec '16 Mugs mahone 1
News Is this Large Market Cap Stock target price rea... Dec '16 Mugs mahone 1
Market sentiment (Feb '14) Oct '16 Mugs mahone 7
News Altria Group: An Attractive Investment (Apr '14) Jul '16 Mugs mahone 2
More from around the web