Microsoft suggests charging employers...

Microsoft suggests charging employers for extra worker visas

There are 8 comments on the SiliconValley.com story from Sep 27, 2012, titled Microsoft suggests charging employers for extra worker visas. In it, SiliconValley.com reports that:

Faced with 6,000 job openings and a Congress unresponsive to admitting more skilled workers from overseas, Microsoft on Thursday offered what it hopes will be a twofer solution: charging employers hundreds of millions of dollars for the right to hire more foreigners and using the money for educational training to eventually fill those jobs with ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SiliconValley.com.

No Thanks

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Sep 27, 2012
Too bad Microsoft doesn't promote higher education of U.S. citizens, isn't it?
URWORSTNIGHTMARE

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Sep 27, 2012
No Thanks wrote:
Too bad Microsoft doesn't promote higher education of U.S. citizens, isn't it?
Mitt Romney is losing.
No Thanks

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Sep 27, 2012
URWORSTNIGHTMARE wrote:
<quoted text>
Mitt Romney is losing.
In your dreams Rico!

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#4 Sep 28, 2012
They aren't really paying those H-1B visa workers the salaries stated in this article. That's why they want more of them. The MS Redmond campus campus is already full of H-1B workers...believe me. How many more do they think they need?
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#5 Sep 28, 2012
The idea is good but they should pay a fair price for each worker. I think 40 to 60 K per worker per year depending on their education level. That is still less than what they save by under paying H-1B workers. The problem is of course that if they give the government 10k less than 1 k will actually go to educate American students. The rest will end up in the pockets of politically appointed "administrators".
The reason Microsoft cannot find qualified American workers is because they do not look for qualified Americans. Offering $60,000.00 a year for Americans with a Ph.D just does not attract applicants.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#6 Sep 28, 2012
Here's an idea Bill...how about you set up a bunch of scholarships for legal American citizens and train them for these jobs. You've got billions. Get with it.
bijwts

Renton, WA

#7 Sep 28, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
They aren't really paying those H-1B visa workers the salaries stated in this article. That's why they want more of them. The MS Redmond campus campus is already full of H-1B workers...believe me. How many more do they think they need?
They need more because it takes 5 H-1B workers to do the job of 1 U.S. trained worker, but 10 H-1B workers are still cheaper. It's not about lack of talent, it's about money.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#8 Sep 28, 2012
bijwts wrote:
<quoted text>
They need more because it takes 5 H-1B workers to do the job of 1 U.S. trained worker, but 10 H-1B workers are still cheaper. It's not about lack of talent, it's about money.
Exactly...I am guessing from where you are posting from, you see firsthand what I was talking about. By the way, Mercer Island is beautiful!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Microsoft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Dakota's outsider candidate ready to tack... Jun 16 Hostis Publicus 3
News Microsoft wants you using Windows 10, whether y... Jun 10 1potato2potato 2
More from around the web