U.S. prescribes bonus for docs to go ...

U.S. prescribes bonus for docs to go paperless

There are 3 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 31, 2007, titled U.S. prescribes bonus for docs to go paperless. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Besides the old magazines in the waiting room, nothing defines the doctor's office like the wall of files -- a simple and by many standards outdated system of paper-based record-keeping. The government, private ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Darrell Pruitt

Bedford, TX

#2 Oct 31, 2007
"You cannot measure and deliver real quality without electronic systems" - Glen Tullman, chief executive of Chicago-based Allscripts Healthcare Solutions Inc., which helps doctors and their practices set up electronic systems.

So if doctors are rated on quality according to their electronic medical records systems, and are also paid more, just to use the system, what happens if a consumer wants to know the truth? Darrell Pruitt DDS
Lee

United States

#3 Oct 31, 2007
How secure will the medical records be? Can this be used against you or used to sell you stuff? How well can you correct errors? How flexible is the system? Are there laws in place to protect you? What happens when the system goes down? Has the system been tested? Is there enough tech support? This is about life, death and health not replaceable phone and money. Errors can make you handicapped or be fatal.
Yimji Wills

United States

#4 Nov 5, 2007
Hello? This is a dandy idea for record-keeping, but I do not see how removing the human element from health care to meet exponetially increasing documentation requirements for insurance payment is going to contribute much to patient care. Perhaps I assume too much in thinking patient care is any kind of priority. Further, while math is not my strong suit, saving the $20K/yr salary by spending $50K with a vague "plus", does not seem like much of a bargain either. The running costs, subscriptions, upgrades go on forever. If it sounds too good to be true...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Allscripts Healthcare Solutions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lazard Places Buy Rating on Aruba, Caution on F... (Feb '12) Feb '12 All Scripts 1
Allscripts/My Way (Jun '10) Jun '10 robyn 1
News Cramer's 'Mad Money' Lightning Round: Stay Away... (Feb '09) Feb '09 woodridge610 1
More from around the web