Pop. goes up

Pop. goes up

There are 7 comments on the InYork story from Mar 20, 2008, titled Pop. goes up. In it, InYork reports that:

Most residents who have attempted an evening commute on the roughly 6-mile stretch of Route 30 that connects the York Galleria to the West Manchester Mall understand that York County's population is growing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at InYork.

Dug

United States

#1 Mar 21, 2008
kind of being in a pool of duplicating roaches!
flamingo13

Dillsburg, PA

#2 Mar 21, 2008
For all the growth our taxes and crime climb. But our schools scholastic scores spiral downwards and dropouts before graduation and truancy continue to rise. 3,000 kids a day miss school in York County. The jobs decline and unemployment on the rise, also a rise in welfare rolls and additional public housing. Good?
c3daddyo

Rockville, MD

#3 Mar 21, 2008
flamingo13 wrote:
For all the growth our taxes and crime climb. But our schools scholastic scores spiral downwards and dropouts before graduation and truancy continue to rise. 3,000 kids a day miss school in York County. The jobs decline and unemployment on the rise, also a rise in welfare rolls and additional public housing. Good?
I moved here for work. Didn't know that crime and drugs were so bad, until I got here. All the people I spoke to about moving here said that it was a wonderful place to raise kids. So we moved. Coming from Orlando, which is really bad with crime and murders, I thought that a nice change of pace would be good. But so far, no. You are safe no where. Your comments should get people to thinking. I just hope that the powers to be, read these comments. Maybe they will see that the community they are selling, isn't what they say it is.
Semi-literate

United States

#4 Mar 21, 2008
So, growth is good, eh? It is that kind of savage ignorance that has caused our culture and economy to spiral into the false sense of itself we are beginning to finally pay for. Some of us say that sustaining an economy is a type of growth in and of itself. Bigger, ain't better!
As to the powers that be seeing that the community they are selling isn't what they say it is: don't hold your breath waiting for them to understand the challenges of this 21st (or the 20th for that matter) century; and frankly, York County has never been the Eden that even most natives thought it was. We have always been good at hiding our dirty secrets, little and big. For example, look into past stats. for teen pregnancies, child abuse, incest, rural poverty, etc. It is an eye-opener.
Positive Outlook

Tampa, FL

#5 Mar 21, 2008
As a life long York County resident for over 70+ years, snowbirding in FL for the past 8 years, exact same happening down here in sunny FL. Truancy, falling scores, murders, over growth, traffic, incest, child abuse, rural poverty, homelessness, teen pregnancies; Bull$hit, grass not greener on the other side of the fence. What makes the grass greener is a positive outlook in life, with the possibliity of change if we all stick together and try. Quit being so negative. Folks always saw the brighter side of life in the old days. We are now in the new days, be positive. Quit your damn bitchin' and make a difference.
flamingo13

Dillsburg, PA

#6 Mar 22, 2008
Positive Outlook, many other people are like you. Walking around with their heads in the clouds with the positive outlook attitude. These aren't the old days. Times have changed with gangs, drugs, illegal guns, etc...,etc.. people coming here illegal immigrants . The "No Child Left Behind" law that didn't work. All the things you have stated. You say don't complain. So do you have any solutions. I and others like me a hardworking taxpayer that carries all these leeches and crap on our backs has a right to complain. We work hard for what is taken out of our checks and given away; but could be used for my own household. At least in this forum we have a chance to vent as compared to voting (which I do) and writing our President, Congressman, Senator, only to have it to fall on deaf ears. So untill you have a solution to these so real problems let us complain if we want. So what is your solution other than look positive. What do you do with that happy saying to fix the problems. We are all waiting.
Semi-literate

United States

#7 Mar 22, 2008
Positive Outlook wrote:
As a life long York County resident for over 70+ years, snowbirding in FL for the past 8 years, exact same happening down here in sunny FL. Truancy, falling scores, murders, over growth, traffic, incest, child abuse, rural poverty, homelessness, teen pregnancies; Bull$hit, grass not greener on the other side of the fence. What makes the grass greener is a positive outlook in life, with the possibliity of change if we all stick together and try. Quit being so negative.Folks
always saw the brighter side of life in the old days. We are now in the new days, be positive. Quit
your damn bitchin' and make a difference.
Would those who post please actually read others words before gracing us with their wisdom? Who said anything about greener grass elsewhere? I was stating cold facts that aren't usually discussed.
The hyprocracy of the power structure in York,and unfortunately, too many other places provides for no true democtatic (small d) forum or process; and as our power structure listens to no one but themselves, where lies an individual's ability to make a significant difference politically or, even socially?
As to "folks always saw..." No culture ALWAYS saw anything uniformly. Even Hitler had dissenters, although most didn't live long. Your statement denies the basic challenge of the human condition: the duality of people -- individually and collectively.
It is hard trying to change a society for the greater, common good when those calling the shots wish to grasp their power for the enhancement of the few: themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manhattan Associates Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Manhattan Associates in trouble (Jul '09) Jul '09 MANH-DOWN 1
News HealthSport, Inc. Receives Record Purchase Orde... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Enlyten 1
News Sean 'Diddy' Combs linked to Tupac Shakur shooting (Mar '08) Apr '08 wow 111
News Toddlers alter the face of Manhattan -- Wildlif... (Apr '08) Apr '08 September 11th 1
More from around the web