Lawson Software to cut 150 to 200 jobs

Lawson Software to cut 150 to 200 jobs

There are 38 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 28, 2010, titled Lawson Software to cut 150 to 200 jobs. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Lawson Software says it will cut 150 to 200 positions, or less than 5 percent of its workforce, in a move that will cost $5 million to $7 million.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truth

Burnsville, MN

#1 May 28, 2010
Thank Obama, Klobutcer, Al Frankin, Inc. for taking your "laser focus" off of creating jobs. Now Americans can look forward to a double dip recession and exploding unemployment. Where are the JOBS?
StPaul TheNewDetroit

Saint Paul, MN

#2 May 28, 2010
How do you raise the stock price? Lay off employees.
StPaul TheNewDetroit

Saint Paul, MN

#3 May 28, 2010
How about those property taxes in St. Paul to support Mayor Coleman's bureaucracy??? Last I looked the average tax rate was $3000 per house!
st paul resident

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 28, 2010
Yes it's probably around 3000 a house, and everyday the city looks less and less like Detroit. The city is coming back and your absurd moniker "st paul is the new detroit" makes you seem foolish and your opinions trivial.
Independent Voter

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 28, 2010
st paul resident wrote:
Yes it's probably around 3000 a house, and everyday the city looks less and less like Detroit. The city is coming back and your absurd moniker "st paul is the new detroit" makes you seem foolish and your opinions trivial.
I'm also a St. Paul resident and I agree that St. Paul will not become the New Detroit but I don't see where the "city is coming back"? The Xcel Energy Center, while a much better venue than Target Center, did not spur the same kind of renaissance. If I were to take my wife out tonight and I had the choice between St. Paul's West 7th and Minneapolis's Block E I'd choose Block E.

So while I think the "New Detroit" poster paints a picture of St. Paul that is far more grim than the situation warrents. You're post paints a far more rosier one than what is warrented.
wtf

San Francisco, CA

#7 May 28, 2010
Independent Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm also a St. Paul resident and I agree that St. Paul will not become the New Detroit but I don't see where the "city is coming back"? The Xcel Energy Center, while a much better venue than Target Center, did not spur the same kind of renaissance. If I were to take my wife out tonight and I had the choice between St. Paul's West 7th and Minneapolis's Block E I'd choose Block E.
So while I think the "New Detroit" poster paints a picture of St. Paul that is far more grim than the situation warrents. You're post paints a far more rosier one than what is warrented.
Downtown St. Paul only has any real activity when the Wild play, and that's just for half the year, and during the winter. Otherwise it's pretty quiet.
Sandy

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 28, 2010
Sad loss for all.
Lars Lawson

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 28, 2010
Please Leslie, follow-up later with them on the number of positions cut in each geographic region and report back. They're probably going to be too protective to answer because Manilla likely will have very few or no reductions.

There's only so many more times they can save money by slashing US jobs and getting all the cheap labor in Manilla. Don't believe me? Ask them what the head count in Manilla is today vs. three years ago.

800 workers in St. Paul out of 3700 world-wide employees is only 22%. They probably have another 400 scattered around the country. That number is probably too high but trying to be cautious. So then, let's estimate 33% of the total workforce is based in the US. That might seem reasonable until you know that 80% of the revenues are generated in the US. Hmmm.
st paul resident

Minneapolis, MN

#10 May 28, 2010
try going to lowertown, mac-groveland, or cathedral hill-- but then again if you'd seriously consider going to block e maybe st. paul is not your type of place to go out in anyway. Hooters has a great happy hour!!
Obama

Hopkins, MN

#11 May 28, 2010
Don't worry, the government will hire them for green jobs.

Of course, we'll have to raise your taxes to pay the green workers.

Which will mean more private sector layoffs.....

Wait a minute, I better rethink this.
Independent Voter

Hopkins, MN

#12 May 28, 2010
st paul resident wrote:
try going to lowertown, mac-groveland, or cathedral hill-- but then again if you'd seriously consider going to block e maybe st. paul is not your type of place to go out in anyway. Hooters has a great happy hour!!
St. Paul Resident, I've raised two daughter in St. Paul and wouldn't move away for anything. I probably know the areas you listed better than you. However you miss the point of my post. Why is it that two cities, in virtually the same geographic location, the same population base, build a similar venue yet the city that builds the inferior venue (Minneapolis) achieves a greater urban renaissance than the city that built the superior venue (St. Paul)?

If the city of St. Paul is to thrive it needs to have an appeal to the younger generation. What in Mac-Groveland or Cathedral Hill is going to appeal to this, younger generation?
Bulldog

Minneapolis, MN

#13 May 28, 2010
Anybody blaming BUSH????
griddy

Saint Paul, MN

#14 May 28, 2010
Independent Voter wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Paul Resident, I've raised two daughter in St. Paul and wouldn't move away for anything. I probably know the areas you listed better than you. However you miss the point of my post. Why is it that two cities, in virtually the same geographic location, the same population base, build a similar venue yet the city that builds the inferior venue (Minneapolis) achieves a greater urban renaissance than the city that built the superior venue (St. Paul)?
If the city of St. Paul is to thrive it needs to have an appeal to the younger generation. What in Mac-Groveland or Cathedral Hill is going to appeal to this, younger generation?
The Target Center was certainly NOT a catalyst for growth vis-a-vis Block E. Block E was dying a slow death until Target Field was built - and even then, it's not picking up much of the growth, more like slowing the decline. Bars and restaurants in the area that benefit from the ball yard were already in existence - not in Block E.
TAZ

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 28, 2010
come on everone Obama and his morons have said the economy is comimg back (NOT) I sure hope everyone that had voted for this bone head is now starting to wake up, to every one that put him in office here is your big change more jobs lost.
wtf

San Francisco, CA

#16 May 28, 2010
Bulldog wrote:
Anybody blaming BUSH????
Obama is the Man in power now. Expect the blame to be thrusted his direction.
GWB

Princeton, MN

#17 May 28, 2010
Bulldog wrote:
Anybody blaming BUSH????
Miss Me Yet?!?!
XD40 Fan

Saint Paul, MN

#18 May 28, 2010
Please lower the ocean levels Mr. Obama, and bring us some magical wind power, green jobs, and some pixie dust, too!
GreatDay

Faison, NC

#19 May 28, 2010
Truth wrote:
Thank Obama, Klobutcer, Al Frankin, Inc. for taking your "laser focus" off of creating jobs. Now Americans can look forward to a double dip recession and exploding unemployment. Where are the JOBS?
US homes actually seized by banks jumped 35 percent in the first quarter of 2010 compared to the same period in 2009. The total number of homes facing foreclosure rose by 16 percent compared to the first quarter of 2009, and by 7 percent from the last quarter of 2009, an indication that the deterioration in the housing market is far from over.
The FDIC Deposit Insurance Fund is $16.8 billion in arrears, so 37% of the $45 billion has already been pre-spent. With $5.3 trillion in insured deposits, the DIF needs to exceed $54 billion at the end of June 2013 to be above the 1.15% ratio required by law.
The Bureau of Labor and Statistics admits that “U-6: Includes the unemployed, marginally attached workers, and part-time workers. This calculation is considered the real unemployment rate because it includes the general population’s idea of unemployment.”
The actual number of unemployed in America is estimated to be over 17% of our population presently employed. That is a staggering figure and these are the people that most need our help.
obummer has failed at a rate faster than lightning! This guy is a dunce!
st paul resident

Minneapolis, MN

#20 May 28, 2010
O.K. Mpls has the main CBD ( Central business District ) for the region. Therefore there are more people working there than in St. Paul- therefore they reach critical mass of people much easier than downtown St. Paul. If you really "know" the area better than I, I shouldn't have to tell you this. That said, I am a part of the younger generation (barely) and you should really head to Lowertown on any evening and you will see many young people having a good time. You could also head to Selby/Grand where within the neighborhood bars there are many young people having a good time. I have lived in St. Paul almost my entire life and I can tell you with absolute certainty that today there are more young people hanging out around St. Paul than anytime in the last 20 years. Is it Mpls, no ( thank god ). But your example of block E as successful with regards to the target center leaves me thinking that perhaps we have different idea's of what urban development success is. But back to the main point-- why different results between St. Paul/Mpls with regards to their arena's-- well outside of the CBD being in Mpls, and hundred's of millions of dollars more in infrastructure (highways for suburbanites to get there), and the unfair stigma that St. Paul has gotten as the dead, dying city, then you start to get the picture of why there are more people in MPLS. But all is not lost for St. Paul, and the trend seems to really be going St. Paul's way (especially with the younger generation, that didn't seem to get the memo that St. Paul is boring and old or whatever) Lowertown is an example of a "hot" neighborhood that MPLS really doesn't already have ( north loop is different in my opinion-and that is a subject for a different time )And in Lowertown you are not only seeing a resurgence in activity ( condo's, restaraunts, etc.) but it is taking on a culture or identity that is very St. Paul, therefore quite different than the Mpls scene, and ultimately that ( development of an identity/ culture ) will be the success of Lowertown, and St. Paul. It hasn't been a fast track, but I have to laugh at the St. Paul is dead crowd because it's obvious that they have strong OLD opinions, and they haven't really seen what has changed around St. Paul in spite of them. It will be when the young kids start moving into the Dayton's Bluff/ Payne Phalen cheap housing that the tide will have shifted, those are today fairly rough neighborhoods, but so was Selby/Dale and that has certainly changed.
Wilf

Saint Paul, MN

#21 May 28, 2010
They can get new jobs building me a new stadium.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lawson Software Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Golden Gate Capital, Infor buying Lawson Softwa... (Apr '11) Aug '11 Wyoming 42
News Who's Fighting for Investors Here? (Apr '11) Apr '11 Nomo Blockbuster 1
News Report: Deal for Lawson Software is close (Apr '11) Apr '11 Marx Karl Dayton 21
News Oracle could trump Infor's bid for Lawson Software (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bill Hosko 1
News St. Paul cautious on possible Lawson sale (Mar '11) Mar '11 downtown 22
News Lawson Software gets takeover offer (Mar '11) Mar '11 Michael Madone 8
News Icahn ups stake in Lawson to 10 percent (Oct '10) Oct '10 f ed company 2
More from around the web