Not easy to find work this Labor Day

Not easy to find work this Labor Day

There are 77 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Sep 1, 2008, titled Not easy to find work this Labor Day. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Job-hunters Jerome Arrington and Sophia Lorenzo say it's tough to find work right now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
rangefinder

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Sep 1, 2008
And the "bright light" of a mayor for Santa Cruz wonders why people don't work in the city and county - it's quite easy to answer - there are no decent paying jobs in the county unless you are able to feed at the public trough like he and his father do! The irony there is that both of them seem to do quite well but are so damned reluctant to let any business come to Santa Cruz so that the rest of us can make a decent living. You wonder why people need cars and drive over the hill - it's the economics stupid!
patontheback2

Sunnyvale, CA

#2 Sep 1, 2008
"Out of town contractors bringing their own crews" This is already the path that Scotts Valley is looking into only an of state construction company. Their going to use our tax dollars and not use the local construction companies, this already stinks. I wonder if this same thinking was used when Santana row was built. I seem to remember a fire for no reason there during construction.
RobtA

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Sep 1, 2008
And, it's my understanding that over in San Jose, some construction jobs that would ordinarily go to unionized workers are being under-bid by nonunionized labor contractors from Santa Cruz County.

Guess who the workers are.
disabuser

Yuba City, CA

#8 Sep 1, 2008
RobtA wrote:
And, it's my understanding that over in San Jose, some construction jobs that would ordinarily go to unionized workers are being under-bid by nonunionized labor contractors from Santa Cruz County.
Guess who the workers are.
And guess who is the alternative to getting employees from Labor Ready. Jerome Arrington could go up to the University a get a job funded by taxpayers that provided health insurance for his kids, a retirement and other assorted benefits. But wait, the University also employs illegal immigrants in those jobs and the union representing those illegal immigrants wants the university to ignore evidence of that fact and refuse use easily available tools to prevent that illegal employment. It wants "non-discrimination" based in employment based on immigration status; in other words sanctioned law breaking.

The commerce clause of the Constitution is designed to prevent state protectionism and make the the country a free trade zone. Local protectionism undermines this principle. The idea that we would ban citizen legal workers from San Jose while allowing the massive illegal employment of illegal immigrants is truly perverse.
TheOBVIOUS

Anaheim, CA

#9 Sep 1, 2008
CALL and REPORT.

ICE: 866-347-2423

ITS YOUR DUTY AS AN AMERICAN.
patontheback2

Sunnyvale, CA

#13 Sep 1, 2008
TheOBVIOUS wrote:
CALL and REPORT.
ICE: 866-347-2423
ITS YOUR DUTY AS AN AMERICAN.
Thanks, I think everyone needs to report the contractors picking up the illegal laborers.
It is ALL OVER

Oakland, CA

#14 Sep 1, 2008
With the economy the way it is construction materials are not going down..bidding low is not an option, however neigther is hiring non licensed, non insured, illegals...you get what you pay for. Santa Cruz County as a whole wants to complain for it's lack of jobs, however continually it is a monopolization...there have NEVER been good paying jobs unless you travel or start your own business and travel.
There are many employers that have illegals and turn a naked eye...ALL OVER SANTA CRUZ COUNTY from Accounting to Zebra protologist there are illegals who know how to work the system and we proud to be born and raised here are suffering...instead of complaining come to the table with a soulution and REPORT, RePORT, REPORT....soon enough you may be the immigrant in your own backyard! TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY...UNITE
Johnnybitchin

Spartanburg, SC

#17 Sep 1, 2008
Illegals are happy to work but in most cases dont have the skills needed in the construction trade, HELLO!! You get what you pay for, poor quality work. Anyone hiring Illegals should be arrested and jailed. Thats what other countries would do, even Mexico. Johnny in Idaho..heading home soon.
Barry is KKKirbys Bltch

Atherton, CA

#18 Sep 1, 2008
of Santa Cruz, hopes to find work at a warehouse or in construction, but he sees contractors from out of town bringing their own crews to do local jobs. To fill in, he's been going to Labor Ready in Soquel, which dispatches people to temporary work assignments.

"If you're hungry, you're hungry,"

Thats what swenson the swindler does all the time or hire kmartians. his is the good ol boy in your face kind of entitlement.Kinda like GW. How come santa cruz can't do its own work. It is the lazy entitled attitude so prevalent here.

Stop smoking all that fine bud, give up the booze, get a haircut and a suit, use the phone also and you just may get a job here ( as a cook,gardener, white slave, brown slave)
taco bell, mickey d's and dairy queen need people too.As for swenson Just bend over Capitola,Santa Cruz and Aptos.

Funny how this human turd has three things going in our county and they will have no local jobs in any of these. Please remember to thank our city councils!
disabuser

Yuba City, CA

#19 Sep 1, 2008
patontheback2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, I think everyone needs to report the contractors picking up the illegal laborers.
How would you know that the person being picked up is illegal? This represents a serious distortion in thinking about what is required to control the employment of illegal immigrants and by extension illegal immigration. This cannot be done by individuals acting as in this suggestion. It requires that our government actually possess the intent to control such employment. That doesn't currently exist.
Mean Spirit

Atherton, CA

#20 Sep 1, 2008
Ive seen alot more white dudes and OTMs there than ever.Maybe taco bell and the rest aren't hiring.

OTM= Other Than Mexican

Thats border patrol talk.
patontheback2

Sunnyvale, CA

#21 Sep 1, 2008
disabuser wrote:
<quoted text>
How would you know that the person being picked up is illegal? This represents a serious distortion in thinking about what is required to control the employment of illegal immigrants and by extension illegal immigration. This cannot be done by individuals acting as in this suggestion. It requires that our government actually possess the intent to control such employment. That doesn't currently exist.
It's a pretty safe bet that the laborer will be paid cash and not on the books. Even a blind person can see there is going to be something illegal about randomly picking up laborers off the street.
mean spirit

Atherton, CA

#22 Sep 1, 2008
it is the same crime as picking up a hooker. I think it's called solicitation.
Pixie

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 Sep 1, 2008
Bless everyone who donated everything to providing those with nothing a chance at regaining their life.
Angelina

Mountain View, CA

#26 Sep 1, 2008
Thanks for posting the IWW Manifesto, Big Bill Haywood. It is a stirring document.
gumbo

United States

#27 Sep 1, 2008
Big Bill Haywood wrote:
“The working class and the employing class have nothing in common. There can be no peace so long as hunger and want are found among millions of the working people and the few, who make up the employing class, have all the good things of life.
Between these two classes a struggle must go on until the workers of the world organize as a class, take possession of the means of production, abolish the wage system, and live in harmony with the Earth.
We find that the centering of the management of industries into fewer and fewer hands makes the trade unions unable to cope with the ever growing power of the employing class. The trade unions foster a state of affairs which allows one set of workers to be pitted against another set of workers in the same industry, thereby helping defeat one another in wage wars.
Moreover, the trade unions aid the employing class to mislead the workers into the belief that the working class have interests in common with their employers.
These conditions can be changed and the interest of the working class upheld only by an organization formed in such a way that all its members in any one industry, or in all industries if necessary, cease work whenever a strike or lockout is on in any department thereof, thus making an injury to one an injury to all.
Instead of the conservative motto,“A fair day’s wage for a fair day’s work,” we must inscribe on our banner the revolutionary watchword,“Abolition of the wage system.”
It is the historic mission of the working class to do away with capitalism. The army of production must be organized, not only for everyday struggle with capitalists, but also to carry on production when capitalism shall have been overthrown. By organizing industrially we are forming the structure of the new society within the shell of the old.”
Gosh Big Bill your name should be Big Shill; Big Commie Shill.

Did you forget that we are humans and not robots ?
gumbo

United States

#28 Sep 1, 2008
Mean Spirit wrote:
Ive seen alot more white dudes and OTMs there than ever.Maybe taco bell and the rest aren't hiring.
Sounds like BS
but hey working as a day laborer for cash pays cuz no taxes. Of course it means they are not supporting Public Trough Feeders like the Mayor of Scruz.
Rafe

Santa Cruz, CA

#29 Sep 1, 2008
From the article: "Few jobs are available in Santa Cruz," he said, adding that he's found some companies post jobs even if they have someone in mind for the position."

That's exactly what some departments in the county of Santa Cruz do - post the notice, get a bunch of people excited at the thought of a job that pays decently and has good benefits, have those people go thru the application and testing process, and the blow them off to hire the person they had in mind all along.
Dummee

San Jose, CA

#33 Sep 1, 2008
I have my own business. I have gone through 5 different employees. Each one had some problem getting to work on time, working the full day, transportation issues, being "sick", etc.
I finally got rid of them and do all the work myself. I am much happier now.

I would like nothing more than to find a few guys who can work without me standing over them, but in this county there seems to be no real work ethic. Everyone feels entitled.

Well, back to work...
kirk

Livermore, CA

#34 Sep 1, 2008
I read a report recently that in Mendocino (Northern California) everyone is allowed to grow and it has become a billion dollar business. It has become so big that it has even pushed up the wage levels in Mendocino. In the article that I read in the New York Times about 3-4 months ago, a welding shop owner said that he could not hire because the new hires simply say that they can earn twice as much working for a grower.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/us/09pot.ht...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Labor Realty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Toker Fired After Legally Smoking Pot Has His J... (Jul '14) Jul '14 VeganTiger 3
News TrueBlue Inc. (May '10) Mar '14 dont 2
News TrueBlue reports gains in revenues and income i... (Oct '12) Oct '12 larry zarelli 1
News Applauds Mumpower and his work to protect legal... (May '09) May '09 jeffledbetter 6
News Volunteers to count homeless in Victoria (Mar '09) Mar '09 Barbara De La Rosa 1
News Waterloo company drops out of labor deal with A... (Jun '08) Jun '08 Henry 3
News Goodwill employee found dead on the job in Tacoma (Apr '08) Apr '08 Dawn 3
More from around the web