Improving morale
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Home Decor Champ

Elizabeth City, NC

#1 Feb 26, 2013
How does your store improve morale? Since there's no commission anymore, this seems to be the permanent issue.
lobotomyaisle4

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Feb 27, 2013
voice team yeah!! lol. Answer is they don't. My only motivation is my daughter and wife, and the sense of pride I have in my work. but this ship is sinking.
just following orders

Schnecksville, PA

#3 Feb 27, 2013
Achtung!
"The threats and firings will continue until morale improves!" - Führer Niblock
Extend your right arm, palm facing out and say:
"I'm all in Führer Niblock, I'm all in"
Think About It

Hazleton, PA

#4 Feb 27, 2013
Good morale, like teamwork and the benefits of a voice team,and so much more, is just an illusion at Lowes.

My morale picks up when I pull out the parking lot at the end of my shift and I see the word SEWOL in my rear view mirror.

BigHead

Bluefield, VA

#5 Feb 27, 2013
Store morale continues to be a huge problem for Lowe's, and a pizza party won’t fix the problem. Employees now realize the Lowe’s doesn’t care about them, and in turn, employees don’t care about Lowe’s. It’s really that simple.

Lowe’s is no longer a career… it’s a retail job that offers very limited upside. And, every employee is counting down the minutes until their shift ends.

But, I do have two quick ideas that may be a good place to start mending morale…

Fix the work schedule.
Stop treating employees like shit.

“all in” Mr. Nib “all in”!!!
Think About It

Hazleton, PA

#6 Feb 27, 2013
I always say the break room says it all. I can walk in the break room and as I enter and say hello to the eight co-workers sitting there and no-one responds. I used to think this was weird till I realized that most the time people are in there and I mean like six-eight people no two people are speaking to each other. Hows that for morale.

I can only compare it to a day room in a mental facility like in "One Flew Over The Coo-Coos-Nest" Or the dining room in a Monastery where the Monks took a vow of silence! I never sit in there!
hnlpf

United States

#7 Feb 28, 2013
I think that to fix the problem they need to do just a few things
1. Bring back a reward system such as commissions
2. Fix staffing make sure there is an opener, mid, and closer everyday
3. Have a cost of living increase on top of the yearly raise.
4. Get rid of the current SSEI it is set up to make everyone fail. Replace it with a more
balanced and simpler method of showing that selling at lowes works.
5. All upper management get out on the floor and actually show you can walk the
walk.
lobotomyaisle4

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Feb 28, 2013
ha
Blowes

Winchester, KY

#9 Feb 28, 2013
The companies EOS scores were terrible. To make things better they are making SSEI harder to qualify for by an extra 2% and making the customer focus side so specific you will just about have to read a script to the customer to hit all the talking points.
Lowe's is gutting its employees financially with garbage raises, cutting incentives, pricier insurance, and harder to reach bonuses. No pep rally or potluck dinner can replace lost income.
Mooresville blames the store employees for the companies bad numbers, but they fail to accept responsibility for our horrible unreliable computer systems. The Iphones were a HUGE waste of money and they still don't work properly. ISST glitches up daily to the point where you have to exit out of the program and start from scratch on the install.
tl:dr- Give the store employees good raises and incentives, staff the departments with knowledgeable people, fix your garbage computer systems, and focus on selling the customer what they want (not mylowes, credit, pse leads, epp's, rp's, etc.)

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#10 Feb 28, 2013
Morale will not improve by providing pizza parties, cookouts, all store meeting with home made clipboards given to each employee etc. These things are nice gestures and I appreciate all of these but they are hollow gestures when the overwhelming tone is negative-looking for ways to write you up, blame us for poor sales etc.

If you want to improve morale, really listen to your employees, pay them well, give them meaningful raises, reward equally for teamwork etc. Fix the IT problems etc.

Management has to walk the talk. MyLowes, EPP's, threats do not help employees. I love the Iphone....WHEN it works. Sometimes I scan a product 30 seconds before it scans, sometimes it doesn't scan--it is very frustrating. Using the Iphone as a phone is cumbersome-dropped calls, can't hear, muffled pages etc.

There is a whole host of things that management could fix that would make our job easier and more productive. It seems like they keep putting roadblocks in the way while expecting better results.

Fix the root causes and the problems will go away.

Our EOS scores were low again-5th year straight. Market team is coming next week to "listen" to us. Are you "really" going to listen or are you just going through the motions so you can write your report to cover your arse?

Actions speak louder than words.
Think About It

Hazleton, PA

#11 Feb 28, 2013
A little humor to boost moral.

A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and
spotted a woman below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me,
can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I
don't know where I am."

The woman below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering
approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees
north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist. "I am," replied the woman,
"How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is, technically
correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information, and the fact
is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything,
you've delayed my trip."

The woman below responded, "You must be in Manager at Lowes, I've herd about them." "I am," replied
the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the woman, "you don't know where you are or where you're
going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air.
You made a promise which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people
beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same
position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."
Thatguy

Cape Girardeau, MO

#12 Feb 28, 2013
Some days it feels hopeless. I just keep drudging along and accomplish as much as possible while influencing my co workers to do the same. Some days are better than others.

Location hidden

#13 Feb 28, 2013
Think About It wrote:
don't know where I am."
"How did you know?"
you've delayed my trip."
The woman below responded, "You must be in Manager at Lowes, I've herd about them." "I am," replied
Funny story with some truth to it.
Good to hear

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Feb 28, 2013
Think About It wrote:
don't know where I am."
"How did you know?"
you've delayed my trip."
Give that guy a cigar! That is some gut busting funny, and painfully truthful shit right there man!!!!
lobotomyaisle4

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Mar 1, 2013
asms get to where they are, most not all, because they sucked as dms. so the store manager said, at least if i promote them, i can get that dept. properly managed.
Wowza

New York, NY

#16 Mar 1, 2013
It is funny reading all these posts! This thread in particular...It seems like these comments are all from associates in MY STORE! It's hard to improve morale on the sales floor when you have ASM's who are mostly young, inexperienced, and have no clue how to manage PEOPLE, who are always passing the buck, and do absolutely nothing on the sales floor.(Meanwhile, collecting a hefty annual salary, which is bound to be at least twice as much as most hourly associates who go to work and are supposed to bust their ass, while getting no incentive.)In a smaller store, there are few department managers on the sales floor. My store has 4. Each of which have no less than 2 departments and as much as 6 departments. It's difficult to "run your business" when you get little to no support from the HR, the store manager, or any ASM. There's so much separation and nobody on the same page! The ASM's say the EOS scores suck because the department managers suck! Then you ask associates on the sales floor about it and they say the ASM's suck, NOT the department managers! There's a little bit of confusion here. Until upper management get's their heads out of (mostly each others asses!!) and the clouds, and start taking some responsiblilty for their inability to do their jobs, then maybe we will get somewhere. When they start taking care of their associates and giving recognition, praise, and better raises, then maybe they will start seeing an increase in sales and morale. Believe me...I love my job but can't stand my store. I have been looking for another job for months, but I have a family to feed and just can't take any low paying job just to get out!
Think About It

Hazleton, PA

#17 Mar 1, 2013
I've been reading a lot about this. Below in a nutshell (cut n pasted) is what I found to be the most common reasons for low moral in all I read. Everything I've read says studies always find poor Management the #1 reason.

On another note,Think About It, what kind of experience can a manager in their mid twenties still living with mom and dad actually have?

Causes of Low Morale;

Poor Leadership – This is number one at the top of the list because it is usually the main problem. A lack of morale in the workplace means a leader or manager has not addressed the issue that caused it. It might be their management style or they just don’t get it.

Unhappy In Their Present Position – Most employees have hopes of moving up in an organization. They may want more money, or more challenging work. The employee may like the position they are in, but they feel they are underutilized.

(Below, I think this is #1 in my case because the expectations of my position are impossible to achieve, kind of like trying to accomplish everything in the Bible,impossible no matter how hard you try you will still commit sins, on a daily basis and yes this goes back to management).

No Clarity in Expectations – Employees want to know what is expected of them. They may become distressed that they are not meeting expectations which they know will hurt them on their performance review. This problem is caused by managers who have not taken the time to give clear or reasonable expectations of the position.

Other Employees – This is where the saying “one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch” applies. When management fails to deal with an underperforming employee it can quickly spread negativity among the entire staff. This can be a particularly bad problem with teams who are dependent on each other.

There are many other reasons for low morale in the workplace. As a manager or leader if you have an issue with morale, you must immediately seek out the source and deal with it.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 1, 2013
Think About It wrote:
I've been reading a lot about this. Below in a nutshell (cut n pasted) is what I found to be the most common reasons for low moral in all I read. Everything I've read says studies always find poor Management the #1 reason.
On another note,Think About It, what kind of experience can a manager in their mid twenties still living with mom and dad actually have?
Causes of Low Morale;
Poor Leadership – This is number one at the top of the list because it is usually the main problem. A lack of morale in the workplace means a leader or manager has not addressed the issue that caused it. It might be their management style or they just don’t get it.
Unhappy In Their Present Position – Most employees have hopes of moving up in an organization. They may want more money, or more challenging work. The employee may like the position they are in, but they feel they are underutilized.
(Below, I think this is #1 in my case because the expectations of my position are impossible to achieve, kind of like trying to accomplish everything in the Bible,impossible no matter how hard you try you will still commit sins, on a daily basis and yes this goes back to management).
No Clarity in Expectations – Employees want to know what is expected of them. They may become distressed that they are not meeting expectations which they know will hurt them on their performance review. This problem is caused by managers who have not taken the time to give clear or reasonable expectations of the position.
Other Employees – This is where the saying “one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch” applies. When management fails to deal with an underperforming employee it can quickly spread negativity among the entire staff. This can be a particularly bad problem with teams who are dependent on each other.
There are many other reasons for low morale in the workplace. As a manager or leader if you have an issue with morale, you must immediately seek out the source and deal with it.
You have hit the nail on the head in many cases--it really boils down to leadership and management. We hear all the things employees think are wrong, we hear from management all the things they think are wrong with us-the employee but no one will address the problems. Management blames us instead of listening, gathering "facts" and solving the problems. "They", management, all the way to the top hold the keys to solve any problem Lowes has. "We", the employees are basically powerless to solve anything because management either doesn't ask or does nothing. I suggest honest, open, discussions between management and the employees-small groups that have an agenda and use problem solving and negotiating skills. Non of which I see in our present management (at my store). And, they don't know their employees well enough to know if anyone has those skills OR, they are too proud to ask them to help. There are many smart CSA's with past management skills (maybe more than present management).

TEAMWORK-Together We All Achieve More-The operative word is "Together". This is what is wrong with Lowes, there is no together or trust.
lowes

Bryan, TX

#19 Mar 2, 2013
how about not having a whole store meeting at 6am on Sunday to tell us things that could be sent in an email.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#20 Mar 2, 2013
hnlpf wrote:
I think that to fix the problem they need to do just a few things
1. Bring back a reward system such as commissions
2. Fix staffing make sure there is an opener, mid, and closer everyday
3. Have a cost of living increase on top of the yearly raise.
4. Get rid of the current SSEI it is set up to make everyone fail. Replace it with a more
balanced and simpler method of showing that selling at lowes works.
5. All upper management get out on the floor and actually show you can walk the
walk.
So in short, you would like us to pay you much much more in several different ways and make your job easier by hiring more highly paid employees. You would also like to have management stop managing and do your job for you. Did I get that right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolve: Ready Yourself Changes delayed due to P... 7 min DepotRules 3
Lowes Age Discrimination Restructure 2017 31 min javawhey 19
Weekday/weekend team... 38 min javawhey 12
Evolve phase 3 begins in Q3 40 min more to come 898
Worst ASM In Lowe's 1 hr Frustratedrtm 48
indian land sc 2 hr too much 7
**New updates for the July 29th Phase 3 Restruc... 2 hr Wonttell 232
Leaks 16 hr billydilldo 18
Impromptu manager meeting 16 hr billydilldo 14
confirmation of rumor Wed too much 68