Comments
201 - 220 of 352 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2012
Scoobiesnac

Sacramento, CA

#206 Feb 21, 2012
Sorry, my will to do anything for this company left with my $ 12,000 last week. After Vegas the head hunting will begin. Ever hear of GPS ? That's where we are heading, no not that GPS, General Pay Scale. In other words everyone will be maxed out without a chance of seeing a raise ever. Mark my words...
NEDM

Pembroke, MA

#207 Feb 22, 2012
"Wrong. I know for a fact that it does dictate management staffing because one of our local stores just added several new dept manager jobs because they reached a new sales tier this past year. If you can't maintain momentum they will reverse the process. That happened at my old store. LP and actual store staffing budgets are really unrelated. If your store is being robbed blind they up their game in that aspect. If not then you may not even have an LP in house. I've seen it both ways."

Then it is under the 30% rule because I have seen that in writing. For most of the country sales are down. Corporate itself has said same store sales for the average store have NOT comped (do more than the previous year) So this one is an exception to the rule.

They opened up stores like crazy where I am. Some stores are only a mere six miles apart. With that in mind there is not enough new volume created to sustain it. If you rolled things back to say 10 or so years ago there was only a handful of stores in the state. They were making money hand over fist. But when more stores opened there wasn't enough sales volume and it declined.

More stores do not always mean more sales. Saturization does exist as it already occurred in the housing market.
Anonymous

United States

#208 Feb 22, 2012
It's true about having people sign the policy on time and attendance and using cell phones on the floor, etc. This happened in 2 stores near mine yesterday. I'm just waiting for it to happen in my store any day now.
modernwmn

Anniston, AL

#209 Feb 22, 2012
hope wrote:
<quoted text> first don't sign shit without reading it. Second, no one else on this forum chimed in on having to sign anything about company policy changes. I know I have not been pulled back to the office to sign anything but on the other hand my Assist Manager quit yesterday and my DM has been a no call no show for two days. Gone on vacation for two weeks and the company has gone to hell. WTF?
It's really hard to judge someone's tone and understand their posts. If you're not trying to be a smart butt-I apologize. First-The "shit" was read..(not even sure what that's about) Second-If you're assuming I'm just talking smack; go to Connections and search "rude and unfriendly." I copied some of the comments.

New HR policies: Attendance / Rude and Unfriendly Behavior
Yesterday 11:20 AM | Tags: and, hr, human, lef, policy, resources, rude, unfriendly
This question has not been answered yet.
At my store we are currently being informed of the new attendance policy as well as the policy changes regarding rude and unfriendly behavior. I just wanted to know if anyone was actually given any physical copy of these policies. This has not been updated in the Human Resources Guide. They were read to us via an email sent to our HR manager. At the end of our "training" I inquired as to whether we would be provided a copy of these policies and was told NO. Maybe its just me but I would think that if people are to be held accountable they should at least have access to the policy they are required to adhere to.

Flag as Inappropriate
Re: New HR policies: Attendance / Rude and Unfriendly Behavior
Today 3:01 PM in response to
That is exactly what happened in our store. One of our employees asked for a copy and was told by the HR that it could be found in MyLowes. I would think that every person should have been given a copy of a policy that could affect the future of their employment at Lowes.
David

Mooresville, NC

#210 Feb 23, 2012
yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes....looks like the job hunt begins...
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
hot in LA

El Centro, CA

#211 Feb 23, 2012
modernwmn wrote:
<quoted text>It's really hard to judge someone's tone and understand their posts. If you're not trying to be a smart butt-I apologize. First-The "shit" was read..(not even sure what that's about) Second-If you're assuming I'm just talking smack; go to Connections and search "rude and unfriendly." I copied some of the comments.
New HR policies: Attendance / Rude and Unfriendly Behavior
Yesterday 11:20 AM | Tags: and, hr, human, lef, policy, resources, rude, unfriendly
This question has not been answered yet.
At my store we are currently being informed of the new attendance policy as well as the policy changes regarding rude and unfriendly behavior. I just wanted to know if anyone was actually given any physical copy of these policies. This has not been updated in the Human Resources Guide. They were read to us via an email sent to our HR manager. At the end of our "training" I inquired as to whether we would be provided a copy of these policies and was told NO. Maybe its just me but I would think that if people are to be held accountable they should at least have access to the policy they are required to adhere to.
Flag as Inappropriate
Re: New HR policies: Attendance / Rude and Unfriendly Behavior
Today 3:01 PM in response to
That is exactly what happened in our store. One of our employees asked for a copy and was told by the HR that it could be found in MyLowes. I would think that every person should have been given a copy of a policy that could affect the future of their employment at Lowes.
We also had the above meeting last week, in exactly the same format. This is not a company policy but a regional interpretation. There is no "Policy Statement" other than this e-mail. From what I've heard since, they have already backed off, because, as it is not a "Policy" for the entire company, it's not really enforceable.

However, that does not preclude these interpretations becoming a "Policy" if they were adopted company wide, and put in writing.
Zone Gone

San Mateo, CA

#212 Feb 23, 2012
Rude and Unfriendly means the customer is pissed, and the associate gets fired. Plain and simple. Of course, they won't put that in writing, because Corp. doesn't want to be held accountable for a lawsuit.
NEDM

Pembroke, MA

#213 Feb 23, 2012
The company is afraid, the company is always afraid.They already caved into the LP overtime lawsuit.

Lowes has higher standards for product packaging and advertisements (which don't work) then training employees, think about that for a moment.
zal front load

Angola, NY

#214 Feb 23, 2012
Are any other part timers getting less hours than ever? I am a part time appliance csa and besides getting that 25% paycut im also getting less hours than corresponding weeks last year. I averaged 34 hrs/ week last february through memorial day and now geting 29.5. I have a week coming up with only 17.5 which will be the lowest in my two years there.
previous Lowes employee

Orlando, FL

#215 Feb 24, 2012
I was laid off from my good-paying admin asst mgr job last year, best thing the company ever did for me!
modernwmn

Anniston, AL

#216 Feb 24, 2012
Zone Gone wrote:
Rude and Unfriendly means the customer is pissed, and the associate gets fired. Plain and simple. Of course, they won't put that in writing, because Corp. doesn't want to be held accountable for a lawsuit.
What we were told was it applied to customers associates and vendors. Perhaps I'm paranoid. But I think it will be applied to every aspect of your job. Meaning you get on Connections and talk shit.....Fired. That's what I've thought most. A year or so ago- an associate got on FB and blasted corp. for firing the ASM's. When she returned to work; she was scorned for discussing company business and speaking negatively. Policy was shown to her. Something about discussing the "company" and referring to the "company" in a negative way. It would be a brilliant way to get rid of ALOT of employees.
Scoobiesnac

Sacramento, CA

#217 Feb 24, 2012
Amiee Cooper Dist Mgr. gone ......
Corporate

Mooresville, NC

#218 Feb 24, 2012
Don't worry.... we're keeping an eye on all of you.
Trolling motor

Corinth, MS

#219 Feb 24, 2012
Scoobiesnac wrote:
Is this the correct spelling for Ms. Cooper?
NEDM

Pembroke, MA

#220 Feb 24, 2012
modernwmn I kinda doubt they can do that as what can happen is also the inverse. You cannot be held responsible for what happens outside of company property and hours.

Lowe is not bright. I know of someone fired on a bad call. Ok so it goes to unemployment...can't collect if you are fired right? Court found out it was on a bad charge so they allowed him to collect for a few years AND work at the same time.

Another incident I heard of was of some HR telling an employee that they have to get permission of some sort to say anything about the company online. To which the employee simply whipped out a copy of the constitution. HR shat her pants and that was the end of that.

Much of what the company tries is baseless constant intimidation. Intimidation to sell or to work faster to squeeze everything out of you. In reality much of the company has very little education.

Why does this matter?

Because being stupid is no longer seen as being funny or tolerable. If you think they cannot get someone cheaper than nilblock to run the place...they can. Heck the company HQ is in a place where nearly 20% of high schools don't graduate on time. If high school is a high bar to pass well it's like a ruler on the ground!

In many ways asm's, hr, sm's and above are trapped. Other retailers require degrees for having the same jobs and it would be next to impossible for someone on salary to have the time to go back to school, even part time.

The corporation doesn't even know about itself. For example how many times has corporate sent links to file formats that require office but yet office isn't installed on the pc's (hint use google apps instead :-p)

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#221 Feb 24, 2012
Scoobiesnac wrote:
What happened?
hope

Wilmington, NC

#222 Feb 24, 2012
NEDM wrote:
Another incident I heard of was of some HR telling an employee that they have to get permission of some sort to say anything about the company online. To which the employee simply whipped out a copy of the constitution. HR shat her pants and that was the end of that.
Constitution applies to Government intrusions, not business or corp. Thats why Lowes can go out and search your car at any time they see fit.
Captain_Morgan02

Waxhaw, NC

#223 Feb 24, 2012
hope wrote:
<quoted text>Constitution applies to Government intrusions, not business or corp. Thats why Lowes can go out and search your car at any time they see fit.
Wrong. They have no right to enter your private property outside the store. Not to say they can't just fire you if you say no but they can only search something you have brought in the store. By your logic any company you work for could come search your house. That ain't about to happen.
NEDM

Pembroke, MA

#224 Feb 25, 2012
"Constitution applies to Government intrusions, not business or corp. Thats why Lowes can go out and search your car at any time they see fit."

What jr college did you fail out of! Of course the constitution applies.

For example do you know what a protected class is? Gender and race come to mind and some argue sexual preference. They cannot fire someone for being black or asian or a women. They CAN fire someone for smoking on company property or being a smoker.

Lowes does not always own the parking lots let alone the stores they operate in. You cannot search a car without a warrant but clear and open sight is possible just like an officer can look into windows from the street but cannot go into a house without a warrant.

If the constitution doesn't apply to companies why was lowes sued countless times?

So freedom of speech doesn't apply to companies?
Huh?

Your logic is flawed.

There are certain constitutional provisions that do apply.

I think what you mean to say is that within the context of private property some doesn't apply. Freedom of speech doesn't mean someone can come off the street and go to the sm and start screaming at him/her for hours on end. Of course they'd be asked to leave and then possibly arrested for disturbing the peace.

But no they don't have the right to search a car.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/...

Now if you are a driver for lowes certainly they can search their own truck. But private property they cannot except for say open sight. There is a debate of if guns can be brought onto company property. Company policy can say one thing but from the perspective of a criminal if they determine that a company has a no guns policy then it means everyone is by default unarmed and it becomes a potential target (no pun intended)

Now I'm not advocating carrying within the store but if one is securely locked in a car where's the beef?
Brad

Overland Park, KS

#226 Feb 25, 2012
NEDM wrote:
"Constitution applies to Government intrusions, not business or corp. Thats why Lowes can go out and search your car at any time they see fit."
What jr college did you fail out of! Of course the constitution applies.
For example do you know what a protected class is? Gender and race come to mind and some argue sexual preference. They cannot fire someone for being black or asian or a women. They CAN fire someone for smoking on company property or being a smoker.
Lowes does not always own the parking lots let alone the stores they operate in. You cannot search a car without a warrant but clear and open sight is possible just like an officer can look into windows from the street but cannot go into a house without a warrant.
If the constitution doesn't apply to companies why was lowes sued countless times?
So freedom of speech doesn't apply to companies?
Huh?
Your logic is flawed.
There are certain constitutional provisions that do apply.
I think what you mean to say is that within the context of private property some doesn't apply. Freedom of speech doesn't mean someone can come off the street and go to the sm and start screaming at him/her for hours on end. Of course they'd be asked to leave and then possibly arrested for disturbing the peace.
But no they don't have the right to search a car.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/...
Now if you are a driver for lowes certainly they can search their own truck. But private property they cannot except for say open sight. There is a debate of if guns can be brought onto company property. Company policy can say one thing but from the perspective of a criminal if they determine that a company has a no guns policy then it means everyone is by default unarmed and it becomes a potential target (no pun intended)
Now I'm not advocating carrying within the store but if one is securely locked in a car where's the beef?
Wow... What 4th grade classroom did you fall out of? I don't believe the poster ment the constitution doesn't exist. I believe they ment it exists to limit the power of government agencies and laws, not the public or corporations.
For example, yes you have free speech on the internet or at your store, but if you post something they don't like or say something stupid at work, then they absolutely have every right to fire you, because your free speech protects you from going to jail, not getting fired. As far as searching your car, I don't think they ever would, but if they wanted to make end of the day car searches a policy like bag checks, you could either agree or get fired, but you still have your "right" to refuse.
All that stuff about protected classes is nonsense. It's not even the constitution you're talking about. That comes from the civil rights act of 1964. Please don't tell someone off like you're a HR expert when you don't even know what is in the constitution, or what it applies to. It makes you look silly.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Not Again!!! 1 hr Psa1307 14
healthcare benefits - warning to new joiners Thu coal cracker 2
Carpet install Wed whydotheydothis 6
PSA EMS Dead Wed guest 5
If you think lowes owes you more - read this. Tue Eh whatever 20
coordinator Aug 26 Lowes Bitch 12
an hr manager at lowes....just say no!! (Apr '13) Aug 26 unocdarkhorse 61
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••