Why not cut store hours instead of employee hours?

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of26
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
NewBee

Collinsville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

Just asking?
I do not have access to the needed data to know.
But if we were open for less hours per day, but staffed heavier during open hours with better trained employees, would we not get a better bottom line, with add on sales and having more customers due to the fact that we could serve them better?(I leave money on the table on almost every customer due to trying to get to the next one in line,But if I have time to work thru the IMPACT model I always sell more.)
Or is that to simple o an idea?
Furby

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

Most publicly held retail stores run by executives would rather be open and lose money for a couple hours per day than "lose" slaes to a competitor who is open when they are closed. Doesn't make sense, I know, but that is the corporate mentality. People will shop when you are open. End of story. Opening earlier or closing later because the store down the block is doing it only results in higher expenses not a higher bottom line.
NewBee

Collinsville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

I do beleive that stocked shelves and better service for less hours will make more money, look at Chick Filet JS

Better trained ans treated employees builds business, Henry Ford JS
nedm

Pembroke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

Furby is right on the money.

Then again supposedly a 24/7 store was tested but it failed. No one needs bolts at 3am. and if they did they should have stocked up ahead of time.
Furby

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

NewBee wrote:
I do beleive that stocked shelves and better service for less hours will make more money, look at Chick Filet JS
Better trained ans treated employees builds business, Henry Ford JS
You are 100% correct my friend. However, if we were open fewer hours you could bet your lifetime earnings payroll hours would be cut accordingly.
ex-Employee

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Check your state laws, if you are full time it may be against the law to cut your hours.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Staying open for at least what is considered normal hours by most people is extremely important to keep a reputation for reliability. It only takes one time that we were closed and our competitor wasn't, to lose that customer on all future visits too. A perception of reliability (being open when the customer needs us) is invaluable. We may sacrifice some extra heating and cooling costs, but as far as payroll goes, would we really save that much? How many of you are ready to go right at close? If we closed an hour earlier, you would still have just as much zoning to do, the doors would just be locked, leaving a 0% chance for sales.
ex-Employee

Fall River, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

"God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."

Workers would have less stress if they did not worry about things that are above their pay grade.
Unhappy

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

DMxMD wrote:
Staying open for at least what is considered normal hours by most people is extremely important to keep a reputation for reliability. It only takes one time that we were closed and our competitor wasn't, to lose that customer on all future visits too. A perception of reliability (being open when the customer needs us) is invaluable. We may sacrifice some extra heating and cooling costs, but as far as payroll goes, would we really save that much? How many of you are ready to go right at close? If we closed an hour earlier, you would still have just as much zoning to do, the doors would just be locked, leaving a 0% chance for sales.
We would still leave an hour earlier.
DMxMD

Shawnee, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Unhappy wrote:
<quoted text> We would still leave an hour earlier.
Only if you are waiting until after close to start zoning your department. Right now, in the busy season, we could close an hour earlier and we would still get out at the same time. There's a certain amount of recovery to do every day, and the last couple hours of the night isn't so busy that its stopping you from zoning. That means youre still getting work done AND the store makes a few thousand more in sales. If we were closed, you would still have to do the same amount of recovery from those busy impact hours, but there would be no money coming in, meaning less payroll to spend.
STEVIE RAY

Union, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

MY TAKE.STORE HOURS SHOULD BE 7AM TO 9 PM SYTEM WIDE.SUNDAYS 10-7.ALL HOLIDAYS SHOULD BE 10-6.PERIOD.REALLY ABSURD TO BE OPEN OUTSIDE THESE HOURS.NOW IM SURE SOMEONE WILL SIT AND BEAT THESE KEYS WITH RHYMES REASONS AND JUSTIFICATION TO BE OPEN OUTSIDE THESE HOURS BUT THEIR IS NONE SO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.CUSTOMERS ALWAYS ADJUST ITS NO BIGGIE.
Unhappy

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

DMxMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you are waiting until after close to start zoning your department. Right now, in the busy season, we could close an hour earlier and we would still get out at the same time. There's a certain amount of recovery to do every day, and the last couple hours of the night isn't so busy that its stopping you from zoning. That means youre still getting work done AND the store makes a few thousand more in sales. If we were closed, you would still have to do the same amount of recovery from those busy impact hours, but there would be no money coming in, meaning less payroll to spend.
We close an hour early we go home an hour early.
DMxMD

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Unhappy wrote:
<quoted text> We close an hour early we go home an hour early.
Well it's a good thing those decisions are made at the market director level, because you obviously don't get it.
DMxMD

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

STEVIE RAY wrote:
MY TAKE.STORE HOURS SHOULD BE 7AM TO 9 PM SYTEM WIDE.SUNDAYS 10-7.ALL HOLIDAYS SHOULD BE 10-6.PERIOD.REALLY ABSURD TO BE OPEN OUTSIDE THESE HOURS.NOW IM SURE SOMEONE WILL SIT AND BEAT THESE KEYS WITH RHYMES REASONS AND JUSTIFICATION TO BE OPEN OUTSIDE THESE HOURS BUT THEIR IS NONE SO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.CUSTOMERS ALWAYS ADJUST ITS NO BIGGIE.
Yes. Customers always adjust. Typically the easiest way they adjust us by going somewhere else.

The whole topic is stupid. Reducing the number of sours the store is open would automatically mean less payroll hours needed, and therefore fewer jobs. Be careful what you wish for.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

I had a retail business and people wanted me open in the evening and so I did. I did not make enough to pay the labor or the utilities. They wanted me open "in case" they wanted my product. I wonder how much money is lost at Lowes by being open late in the winter, open on some holidays. I wonder if they make enough to pay the labor and overhead.

Being open the long hours in the winter and on some holidays is just a matter of greed. They want the dollars even if it costs more money to get it, even if it hurts family time. There are companies who are not open on Sundays and holidays and they still make it. They have determined that family time and some holidays off is important and they have built it into their budget. Going to church and family functions have been lost because of our "needs". And, it is the consumer as much as the corporation. We as a society don't respect Sunday or family time anymore. It is run, run, run, chase the almighty dollar. And, when we are on our death bed what will wish for? More time with family and friends or time at work, play etc.?

There will always be someone who wants you open longer, but is it worth it?

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

crabbygramps wrote:
I had a retail business and people wanted me open in the evening and so I did. I did not make enough to pay the labor or the utilities. They wanted me open "in case" they wanted my product. I wonder how much money is lost at Lowes by being open late in the winter, open on some holidays. I wonder if they make enough to pay the labor and overhead.
Being open the long hours in the winter and on some holidays is just a matter of greed. They want the dollars even if it costs more money to get it, even if it hurts family time. There are companies who are not open on Sundays and holidays and they still make it. They have determined that family time and some holidays off is important and they have built it into their budget. Going to church and family functions have been lost because of our "needs". And, it is the consumer as much as the corporation. We as a society don't respect Sunday or family time anymore. It is run, run, run, chase the almighty dollar. And, when we are on our death bed what will wish for? More time with family and friends or time at work, play etc.?
There will always be someone who wants you open longer, but is it worth it?
Well said!!
DMxMD

Vienna, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Are you really so nieve as to think a cost benefit analysis has not been done to determine the optimum operating hours? That's probably someone at the CSC's full time job.
Charleen

Owatonna, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

DMxMD wrote:
Are you really so nieve as to think a cost benefit analysis has not been done to determine the optimum operating hours? That's probably someone at the CSC's full time job.
For each store? Each store cannot make that decision. I am sure some stores are profitable, some are not I am sure also.

Based on some other things we do I wouldn't be so sure.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Charleen wrote:
<quoted text>
For each store? Each store cannot make that decision. I am sure some stores are profitable, some are not I am sure also.
Based on some other things we do I wouldn't be so sure.
yes each store. Not all stores have the same hours.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

There's some small variances here and there. I think there's one in my old market that is open an hour more on a sunday but that's about it. Given that it is OT in this state there is a higher cost.

I remember hearing rumors long ago that there was a 24/7 store in Florida that was tested but it failed horribly.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of26
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Lowes Companies Forum right now

Search the Lowes Companies Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dress Code (Mar '12) 10 hr Brad Mason 16
HR Management Lawsuit Website (FSLA CLAIM) Agai... (Apr '13) 22 hr DMxMD 68
does lowes hire depot employees Mon whydotheydothis 8
Offended by mandatory health screenings. Sun Unhappy 28
Carpet install Jul 19 Brad Mason 3
holiday pay Jul 19 petrorolli 7
I hate working at Lowe's!!!! (Feb '13) Jul 18 tiredofthedepot 54
•••
•••