Lowe's needs to find its way!

Lowe's needs to find its way!

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

ez

Boise, ID

#1 Aug 26, 2012
With our new role out of BMR 5 seems that we hove our direction changed yet again. Now it seems that there are different types of customers? That we have impact hours all day long or when ever customer service dictates. What happened to good old fashion customer service. No gimmicks just taking care of the customer. I know that I don't have the exact right answer , but it seems to me that Lowes is always looking for more than the right answer. That in it's mind it really doesn't exist? That no matter what a hard working person can never be just good enough for just success. You know that little bit of pride you receive when somebody would say good job or well done. But now I fear Lowes has Lost it's way. The idea of Better technology is great step for lowes but it was rolled out with very little training. Of Course I could be wrong. to tell you the truth I hope I am?
Dirtybird

United States

#2 Aug 27, 2012
ez wrote:
With our new role out of BMR 5 seems that we hove our direction changed yet again. Now it seems that there are different types of customers? That we have impact hours all day long or when ever customer service dictates. What happened to good old fashion customer service. No gimmicks just taking care of the customer. I know that I don't have the exact right answer , but it seems to me that Lowes is always looking for more than the right answer. That in it's mind it really doesn't exist? That no matter what a hard working person can never be just good enough for just success. You know that little bit of pride you receive when somebody would say good job or well done. But now I fear Lowes has Lost it's way. The idea of Better technology is great step for lowes but it was rolled out with very little training. Of Course I could be wrong. to tell you the truth I hope I am?
NO, ez...you're right. We've been laughing at Rick Damron during the 8/21 OPs Talk whining about HD kickin' our asses. Well, Hell ! They obviously have the right formula..having the products people want in the quantity they want and someone to put it in their frickin' car or truck for them. Cute little electronic gimmicks are fine and fun, but the $$ invested against just solid store keeping and customer service does not add up.
OhNoHeDidnt

Lakewood, OH

#3 Aug 27, 2012
We haven't changed our direction at all. BMR 5 has been in place since before BMR 1 and it is a continuation of the BMRs. It's clear your management team didn't properly explain what we are doing.

As far as IMPACT goes, we are changing to what you call good old fashioned customer service. We need to understand that the tasking still gets done throughout the day, but offering superior customer service for certain times of day was rediculous. Customers shouldn't get a better shopping experience because they are in the stores at a certain time of day. So what if we still call it IMPACT, it is still great customer service all day every day.

If you aren't equipped to use the technology upgrades, then again, your management team has failed you. As a consumer, don't you want to be able to choose how and when you interact with a business? If McDonald's had no drive thru, would it be as appealing if you had to go in and get your food every time? Do you like standing in line at the grocery store or would you rather check out like Macy's/Nordstroms/Dillards/etc in the department you are shopping in and get on with your day?

No one has all the answers but we, as a company, are working towards what we think is right for our future consumer base and there are road bumps in the process, but we keep on driving.
zal front load

Angola, NY

#4 Aug 27, 2012
Well you're right that nobody has all the answers.However the company seems to fall into this mindset that some magic bullet exists via technology that will cure the ills that consume us. What if the solution is just the basics, better people giving better service? What if a store that had a well paid, well treated,respected and motivated staff would outperform a store that relies on cold electronic technologies and minimal levels of low priced, uninspired help? Keep looking for some techno-wiz kid with a lazer gun that will persuade a customer to buy here....but as ive mentioned in an earlier post, i havent seen an I-phone close a sale yet (and they dont get carts).
Bird

Plymouth, MI

#5 Aug 27, 2012
Lowe's is overcomplicating everything. Customer service is just like Sex, it is simple. But, you can overcomplicate things bigtime by thinking about it too much or trying too hard. Here is a great formula for taking care of the customer. Have enough knowledgable, mature, full time staffing, have enough sought after product, and have enough cashiers and registers to get them out the door fast. We don't need an I-Phone to get customers checked out in the departments, one or two registers in each would do. We don't need broken record style televisions on every other endcap telling customers that they don't think creatively, and which side of their brain tells them what, all while some teeny-bopper band sings a stupid ass tune in the background. We don't need a bunch of propaganda songs playing on the radio in the store. What the hell good is that type of advertisement doing anyways? The people you are trying to attract to the store are already in the store. That isn't the time to sing them a song about your company, it is then time to take care of them with the three things I mentioned above. Geesh, the person who thought we should advertise in the store is dimmer than a 100 watt lightbulb hooked to a 9v battery. This is all too much thinking, and too much of trying to fix something that wasn't broken, but now is. A sure sign of college educated people trying to wrap their syle into something they do not understand in the least. Again, it's simple. Have product in stock, have knowledgable, well paid associates and managers in place, and have a way to efficiently get customers in and out fast like registers in every department. The rest is just decoration as far as I'm concerned. I've only actually had a customer comment on those pesky ass televisions positively one time.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#6 Aug 28, 2012
"Have enough knowledgable, mature, full time staffing, have enough sought after product, and have enough cashiers and registers to get them out the door fast. We don't need an I-Phone to get customers checked out in the departments, one or two registers in each would do."

Registers are kinda fading away. Just look at the apple store they email receipts to people. That way they can access it anywhere on the planet. A paper receipt can be stolen by someone and then taken to returns to get money back (this happens all the time).

The problem with product know how is it is a diy store. Basic knowledge can be given but more technical shouldn't (I've mentioned this before)

"We don't need broken record style televisions on every other endcap telling customers that they don't think creatively, and which side of their brain tells them what, all while some teeny-bopper band sings a stupid ass tune in the background."

True. Besides it is distracting and might be a safety issue.

"We don't need a bunch of propaganda songs playing on the radio in the store. What the hell good is that type of advertisement doing anyways?"

That reminds me what ever happened to music and playing psa's (public service announcements) instead ?

"Have product in stock, have knowledgable, well paid associates and managers in place, and have a way to efficiently get customers in and out fast like registers in every department."

The problem is more industry wide than anything else. No one pays commissions anymore and frankly more is sold online. What incentive is there for lowes to put more money into stores if same store sales are going down? When you couple that with the housing market it is a K.O.

Since there are so many home owners underwater with their mortgages they are less likely to put more money into them. There's almost 19 million empty homes
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-27/vaca...

We don't need to make more homes at this point. Housing was in a bubble and it popped. It isn't going to come back any time soon. There's way too many stores out there. yes there's some metros that are doing better (Miami) but it is not enough.

This is probably why there's been such a big push online. It doesn't cost the company nearly as much. Even if you factor out ATG the lowes.com site is changing.

Lowe's is also going to have an issue with demographics soon, not with employees but customers. Bright flight is going to make people that are more well off and pretty much move them to cities.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/09/subu... What is lowes going to do if customers cannot read the signs or the languages of them? Has anyone really used the language line? What if a local area becomes too poor to afford much in the store?

Personally I think there's way too much time wasted in trying to prequalify the customer. "What's your project?" "um...well...um..." then a game of sharades starts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conservatives and Liberals are both equally wor... 5 hr DURRRRRR 6
Overheard 5 hr DURRRRRR 1
ASM Restructure 5 hr Bleh 105
lowe's...stop sponsoring nascar team #48 .... (Jan '17) 6 hr Superior Race 5
Worst ASM In Lowe's 7 hr Code 50 35
Management. 7 hr Code 50 3
confirmation of rumor 7 hr 3 over par 63
Evolve phase 3 begins in Q3 7 hr lowes truth 871
**New updates for the July 29th Phase 3 Restruc... 8 hr Just waiting to sue 194
Any other Region having a CC with the HR Director? Sat Edward 57