9000 part time workers
labotomyaisle4

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Jan 27, 2013
they'll just hire more part timers once they decide this"test" works. what has lowes done for they're associates recently to make me think otherwise?

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#22 Jan 27, 2013
partofthesolution wrote:
<quoted text>
So...? They're going to layoff specialists? Mathematically speaking, which may be absurd, lol, it wouldn't work.
9000 pt's would equate to 4500 ft's, and that would mean 2.5 specialists per store. Who would go? How do you decide which departments?....just playing devils advocate...
Why not? Our store just moved a DM to Electrical & Plumbing who knows nothing about either. They just promoted a part time person to Plumbing pro with no plumbing experience. Interesting who the DM doesn't like-the plumbing specialist & Electrical Pro who are very knowledgeable. She will pawn off all questions if she can and wanders around talking to her friends. She is one of 3 lady managers--hummmm, could that possibly be why she still is in management? They need their "quota"?
Whickerbill

Mooresville, NC

#23 Jan 27, 2013
partofthesolution wrote:
The 45000 would work out to about 25 associates per store, which is probably about average for what a store hires for the spring season. The 9000 is the reinvestment into payroll they announced weeks ago, and is only for stores doing more than 25 mil.
Now, if you believe these permanent associates are being brought in to get rid of FT associates, then you should strive to hit your numbers, and perform. It is hard for a store to "get rid" of employees, so you have to be more or less actively trying to get fired to end up that way.
They can do whatever they want to, especially in a right to work state. I have seen people fired for calling in sick 2 days in a row. I have seen people written up for being 3 minutes late to the morning meeting. If they want you gone bad enough, they will find any trumped reason. Not making your numbers will be good enough if they want to force you out
Just asa

Post Falls, ID

#24 Jan 27, 2013
Nibiy in someones else pants but the share holders can't see that far
and the company is going to go down faster then they think.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#25 Jan 27, 2013
Whickerbill at will employment exists in most states. Right to work is really more about the unions than anything else.

It's not impossible to fire someone. Just read the terms here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employme...
There's some exemptions with government work and if someone is under a contract.

But no one at lowes for the most part on the store level is under any contract. The majority are hourly workers.

At will employment means the employer can terminate at any time and employee can quit at any time. Otherwise it attempts to bring in 3rd parties with contracts and gets into a huge mess. If someone wants to quit lowes there should not be any organization or laws preventing them from doing so.
partofthesolutio n

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Jan 28, 2013
Whickerbill wrote:
<quoted text>
They can do whatever they want to, especially in a right to work state. I have seen people fired for calling in sick 2 days in a row. I have seen people written up for being 3 minutes late to the morning meeting. If they want you gone bad enough, they will find any trumped reason. Not making your numbers will be good enough if they want to force you out
First of all, Lowe's is a government partner and they scrutinize every termination, hiring, policy etc... So, as Nedm stated, it does not matter whether you're right to work or not. They still need just cause. So the employees you're referring to either have excellent cases for unemployment and wrongful firing, or, their file is littered with performance issue paperwork and Lowes can establish enough of a history to justify it in court. All terminations have to be approved by area hr, btw.
As far as not making your numbers, it has to be compared to the entire store numbers, market numbers, possibly even region numbers. If my department is down 10% to ly, and my store is down 6%, and my department is down 5% in every store in the market, you can be damn sure I'll have copies of those numbers when they decide to start the paperwork process with me for being down 2%.
Whickerbill

Dunn, NC

#27 Jan 28, 2013
partofthesolution wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, Lowe's is a government partner and they scrutinize every termination, hiring, policy etc... So, as Nedm stated, it does not matter whether you're right to work or not. They still need just cause. So the employees you're referring to either have excellent cases for unemployment and wrongful firing, or, their file is littered with performance issue paperwork and Lowes can establish enough of a history to justify it in court. All terminations have to be approved by area hr, btw.
As far as not making your numbers, it has to be compared to the entire store numbers, market numbers, possibly even region numbers. If my department is down 10% to ly, and my store is down 6%, and my department is down 5% in every store in the market, you can be damn sure I'll have copies of those numbers when they decide to start the paperwork process with me for being down 2%.
I pretty much agree with what you say. My dept is up by several per cent for the year, and we are on track to make SSEI, but we are still getting the lectures about low EPPs and specialty sales. If the market director chooses to make an issue of it who knows what will happen. I'm just saying I don't trust them not to make an issue out of it.

As for terminations, I have worked for other companies before coming to Lowes, and I have seen it happen too many times. If they want you gone, you will be gone. Management can always produce "evidence" of poor job performance. A fellow employee at my store just recently found out that he had a write up in his file for a "bad attitude". He had no knowledge of the write up at all. To their credit, the SM and HR pulled it and had a talk with the ASM that did it. Once again, just saying.
Unhappy

Winder, GA

#28 Jan 28, 2013
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? Our store just moved a DM to Electrical & Plumbing who knows nothing about either. They just promoted a part time person to Plumbing pro with no plumbing experience. Interesting who the DM doesn't like-the plumbing specialist & Electrical Pro who are very knowledgeable. She will pawn off all questions if she can and wanders around talking to her friends. She is one of 3 lady managers--hummmm, could that possibly be why she still is in management? They need their "quota"?
I agree! I am full time. Have been with thi hellhole aka LOWES for 7 years. I started in outside lawn and garden. They moved me inside garden. To cashier. To electrical where I became Team Leader for two years till that went away. To Plumbing. Then hardware. Then paint. Took the E.M.T.P program back in the day. Tried for DM position everytime it came up. Never got it. A part time associate comes in. NO experience with lowe's except for inside garden. Only been with the company for 6 months. She not only gets an interview doe DM in paint,(( I didn't )) She got the position! I have been there 7 years and bust butt in that company and been there 7 years! She has been there 6 months and she is over me now!!! Why in the hell should I bust butt now?? Where is the motivation now??? There is none!!! Lowe's 476. What a fking joke!!!!
partofthesolutio n

Indianapolis, IN

#29 Jan 28, 2013
Unhappy wrote:
<quoted text> I agree! I am full time. Have been with thi hellhole aka LOWES for 7 years. I started in outside lawn and garden. They moved me inside garden. To cashier. To electrical where I became Team Leader for two years till that went away. To Plumbing. Then hardware. Then paint. Took the E.M.T.P program back in the day. Tried for DM position everytime it came up. Never got it. A part time associate comes in. NO experience with lowe's except for inside garden. Only been with the company for 6 months. She not only gets an interview doe DM in paint,(( I didn't )) She got the position! I have been there 7 years and bust butt in that company and been there 7 years! She has been there 6 months and she is over me now!!! Why in the hell should I bust butt now?? Where is the motivation now??? There is none!!! Lowe's 476. What a fking joke!!!!
Did the store mgr or hr talk to you about it after? Mine always discuss with the person who doesn't get the position their strengths and weaknesses after, so they're not as bitter as you. Maybe you have an anger issue? Maybe the person who got the job has more mgmt experience in their past that you're not aware of. Being at Lowes 7 years doesn't mean you automatically get the promotions.
drfabs

Fair Oaks, CA

#30 Jan 28, 2013
Lowe's was the most unfair place I have ever worked in my 40 year career. There was so much favoritism. The management there is trained to managed procedures not people. In my opinion this is their biggest downfall.
I AGREE

Mooresville, NC

#31 Jan 29, 2013
It amazes me who gets promoted in this company. As far as I'm concerned that "test" is a crock of crap. People who are manangers could not manage their way out of a paper bag in any other world. Some of the lunchroom conversation makes me wonder how they get through life. With my head in the sand, I go on ...work, go home.
Blue Thunder

Elizabeth City, NC

#32 Jan 29, 2013
the power lifts name
captain_morgan02

Wadesboro, NC

#33 Jan 30, 2013
The push for more part time help and less full time help is to defeat the Obamacare tax penalty. It makes better business sense to have more employees who won't get you penalized.
lobotomyaisle4

Philadelphia, PA

#34 Jan 30, 2013
there's no tax penalty if you provide associates with adequate insurance. it sucks, but considered adequate under the new law. i guess my point is, everything corporate is doing, the part timers, we team, pay rate advisor, lef bullshit, is just to push out they're "30%" of full time employees that are tenured, and know the lowes that used to be good to employees.
just one

Little Falls, NY

#35 Jan 30, 2013
Unhappy wrote:
<quoted text> I agree! I am full time. Have been with thi hellhole aka LOWES for 7 years. I started in outside lawn and garden. They moved me inside garden. To cashier. To electrical where I became Team Leader for two years till that went away. To Plumbing. Then hardware. Then paint. Took the E.M.T.P program back in the day. Tried for DM position everytime it came up. Never got it. A part time associate comes in. NO experience with lowe's except for inside garden. Only been with the company for 6 months. She not only gets an interview doe DM in paint,(( I didn't )) She got the position! I have been there 7 years and bust butt in that company and been there 7 years! She has been there 6 months and she is over me now!!! Why in the hell should I bust butt now?? Where is the motivation now??? There is none!!! Lowe's 476. What a fking joke!!!!
I had been with Lowe's for 5 years. There was a PT FSA been with the company 3 months. We both went for the FT FSA. I was already FT she got the position.
captain_morgan02

Wadesboro, NC

#36 Jan 30, 2013
lobotomyaisle4 wrote:
there's no tax penalty if you provide associates with adequate insurance. it sucks, but considered adequate under the new law. i guess my point is, everything corporate is doing, the part timers, we team, pay rate advisor, lef bullshit, is just to push out they're "30%" of full time employees that are tenured, and know the lowes that used to be good to employees.
You assume they will still be offering insurance to anyone. I think not.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#37 Jan 31, 2013
Per the law yes they have to provide insurance for full time employees. The only way around that would be to cut it down to say eight people.

"is just to push out they're "30%" of full time employees that are tenured,"

grrr not this again. NO one is "tenured" at lowes or any other retailer. Tenure pretty much means you cannot get let go. That is there's a legal and compelling interesting in having someone keep the job as it would not exist in some other area. Lowes is as far from tenure as you can get. Anyone can do nearly any job there and for the most part it is at will employment.
captain_morgan02

Wadesboro, NC

#38 Feb 1, 2013
nedm wrote:
Per the law yes they have to provide insurance for full time employees. The only way around that would be to cut it down to say eight people.

"is just to push out they're "30%" of full time employees that are tenured,"

grrr not this again. NO one is "tenured" at lowes or any other retailer. Tenure pretty much means you cannot get let go. That is there's a legal and compelling interesting in having someone keep the job as it would not exist in some other area. Lowes is as far from tenure as you can get. Anyone can do nearly any job there and for the most part it is at will employment.
They have a choice to pay for employee healthcare or pay the penalty per employee. It would be cheaper to lower the number of full time employees, thereby lowering the cost of the penalty. The penalty itself is much less expensive than providing coverage.
lobotomyaisle4

Philadelphia, PA

#39 Feb 1, 2013
thanks obama
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#40 Feb 1, 2013
Well Obama care came from Romneycare which came from Hillary care which came from what a few guys at the Heritage foundation wrote of back around 1989.

At the same point without insurance exactly how would bills get paid?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
farting in front of customers! (Feb '16) 13 hr Fernando 65
Lowes pilot program in east coast to eliminate ... (Oct '15) Thu Code3_Aisle3 1,589
HATE TO SAY THIS but------ Nov 30 Joeblow79 2
told you can't leave at scheduled time? (Nov '12) Nov 29 flowergirl21 42
18 year Lowes employee stops theft, gets fired! (Oct '13) Nov 28 DivineWizard 35
any CUTS COMING SOON? Nov 23 Numb 5
Department manager of delivery. Nov 22 John boy 4
More from around the web