Lowe's has lost its way!
Pse

United States

#1 Jul 18, 2012
I have been with Lowe's for around 6 years and I feel that lowe's has lost its way as for obtaining and keeping great people in the stores. I think the technology is needed and that it is about time for the upgrades, however, technology is only as good as its user. A Good Employee is going to figure out how to make a sale no matter how great the technology or process. A Poor Employee is going to fail no matter how good the technology or process is. The major problem is the end of the year evaluations which are a joke because the evaluation for raises is done by the Store Manager who ussaully has know idea who it's strong players are. They don't even get the department managers feedback on the people they supervise daily. Years ago employees could make up for the fact that the evaluation system sucked by receiving department bonuses, commission, overtime, and acheivable Asm bonuses. Now all that is gone for those who come to work and bust there ass. The only reward for them is 39 hours and a nice 3% raise at the end of the year that doesn't cover inflation. It's becoming a dead end job filled with incompetence and clowns. Incompetence breeds itself and that's what the stores are becoming. It will only take time before lowes becomes the blue clown unless they fix there incentive structure.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#2 Jul 18, 2012
Pse wrote:
I have been with Lowe's for around 6 years and I feel that lowe's has lost its way as for obtaining and keeping great people in the stores. I think the technology is needed and that it is about time for the upgrades, however, technology is only as good as its user. A Good Employee is going to figure out how to make a sale no matter how great the technology or process. A Poor Employee is going to fail no matter how good the technology or process is. The major problem is the end of the year evaluations which are a joke because the evaluation for raises is done by the Store Manager who ussaully has know idea who it's strong players are. They don't even get the department managers feedback on the people they supervise daily. Years ago employees could make up for the fact that the evaluation system sucked by receiving department bonuses, commission, overtime, and acheivable Asm bonuses. Now all that is gone for those who come to work and bust there ass. The only reward for them is 39 hours and a nice 3% raise at the end of the year that doesn't cover inflation. It's becoming a dead end job filled with incompetence and clowns. Incompetence breeds itself and that's what the stores are becoming. It will only take time before lowes becomes the blue clown unless they fix there incentive structure.
Dead end job is 100% accurate. We used to be told that we could "Retire Rich". Now all were told is, "Don't get past 39 hours".
The real deal

United States

#3 Jul 19, 2012
I was with Lowe's for 16 dears during the glory days, I left roughly 6 years ago. Lowe's will never be what it was for numerous reasons. If your under 40 and career hunting look elsewhere. Lowe's is a dead duck that could quickly be back on walmarts radar in a few years for a purchase, seriously, it may happen.
We are in a day and age of no security, Lowe's is a ruthless corporate entity who's only goal is to please the shareholders which is how it works. Move on if you are able to, otherwise use them until you find something better cause I can assure you they are using you :).
Bunkers Hole

Bluefield, VA

#4 Jul 19, 2012
Corporate Lowe’s launches new programs and policies that land smack at the feet of store employees. Forced to implement these programs (many of which have no real benefit or set goals) takes employee’s focus away from selling produces, increasing margins and making money. And, these programs gobble up company capitol in questionable ways.

Corporate has lost sight that the people who can truly make a different and make them money are on the floor each and every day. It’s not the guy in the corner office at corporate that dreams up these programs… it’s the specialists, pros, csa’s, loaders, cashiers, etc. who are on the front line every day representing their brand.

In my opinion, things are totally out of skew as each and every program, policy, procedure that corporate initiates has a negative effect on the people who are in a position to make or break a store.

Can anyone name one single positive thing that corporate has done that proves they understand how important their hourly employees are? I sure can’t.

Now, can you list the things that corporate has implemented that has a direct negative effect on employees? See what I mean?

Investing in employee incentives and motivating the troops are not part of their master plan.

It’s like they want to create this bright and shinny new wheel, a wheel that the entire world will embrace, celebrate and just can’t live without, a wheel that will make competitors tremor in fear, a wheel that will make them truckloads of money and give shareholders a big boner… but they’ve totally neglected to invest in, even at the smallest level… the lug nuts that hold the wheel in place.

Go figure…
Really?

Edmond, OK

#5 Jul 19, 2012
Pse wrote:
I have been with Lowe's for around 6 years and I feel that lowe's has lost its way as for obtaining and keeping great people in the stores. I think the technology is needed and that it is about time for the upgrades, however, technology is only as good as its user. A Good Employee is going to figure out how to make a sale no matter how great the technology or process. A Poor Employee is going to fail no matter how good the technology or process is. The major problem is the end of the year evaluations which are a joke because the evaluation for raises is done by the Store Manager who ussaully has know idea who it's strong players are. They don't even get the department managers feedback on the people they supervise daily. Years ago employees could make up for the fact that the evaluation system sucked by receiving department bonuses, commission, overtime, and acheivable Asm bonuses. Now all that is gone for those who come to work and bust there ass. The only reward for them is 39 hours and a nice 3% raise at the end of the year that doesn't cover inflation. It's becoming a dead end job filled with incompetence and clowns. Incompetence breeds itself and that's what the stores are becoming. It will only take time before lowes becomes the blue clown unless they fix there incentive structure.
I totally agree. I'm sick of hearing about LEF.
DMxMD

United States

#6 Jul 19, 2012
I can't wait until all of this is over and all the people that constantly complain are gone.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#7 Jul 19, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
I can't wait until all of this is over and all the people that constantly complain are gone.
See your point, but it's human nature to complain, especially in low wage jobs like retail in general. The happy people don't check out these sites for the most part.
Bunkers Hole

Bluefield, VA

#8 Jul 19, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
I can't wait until all of this is over and all the people that constantly complain are gone.
Don’t confuse a differing viewpoint with complaining.

Just because I don’t constantly follow management around seeking their flippant approval, and my nose remains clean of excrement… doesn’t mean that I’m a negative person or an unthankful employee.

But I hear ya, go ahead and march blindly forward… it usually works out! And never forget that Lowe’s really, really loves you!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#9 Jul 19, 2012
Bunkers Hole wrote:
<quoted text>
Don’t confuse a differing viewpoint with complaining.
Just because I don’t constantly follow management around seeking their flippant approval, and my nose remains clean of excrement… doesn’t mean that I’m a negative person or an unthankful employee.
But I hear ya, go ahead and march blindly forward… it usually works out! And never forget that Lowe’s really, really loves you!
Wasn't referring to you. Just commenting on your hopes that the complainers would go away. Think it would be a long wait, that's all.
DMxMD

United States

#10 Jul 19, 2012
I know. I wasn't trying to say that anything bunker said wasn't true or anything. Im just exhausted from all the negativity lately. It would be nice to see some positive threads on here once in a while. I totally agree retail isn't rewarding experience or personal achievement and productivity any more.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#11 Jul 19, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
I know. I wasn't trying to say that anything bunker said wasn't true or anything. Im just exhausted from all the negativity lately. It would be nice to see some positive threads on here once in a while. I totally agree retail isn't rewarding experience or personal achievement and productivity any more.
I understand your tiredness of the negativity. But put yourself into the average employee's shoes for a moment. You lost spiffs, bonuses were cut, and you lost floor coverage, only to gain an i-phone.
Nochance

Toronto, Canada

#12 Jul 19, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
I can't wait until all of this is over and all the people that constantly complain are gone.
Oh Please!? Do you think that we are all so totally stupid and brainless that we accept all the corporate crap and negativity that they dish out. If you want positive feedback go on connections. People are entitled to vent and receive support and this is a free venue, so take a hike!
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#13 Jul 19, 2012
Wasn't it said on this site before that this is year two of a five year plan?

What's at issue isn't so much the changes but HOW they are doing them and HOW they are keeping people informed.

Would it have REALLY hurt them economically to phaze out the spiffs and sos over a six month period rather than all at once? Probably not. Sudden and abrupt change makes it appear that no one knows what is going on.

How about letting people know about what changes are coming up rather than have little things here and there leak out. What specifically is the point of having management say "There's going to be alot of changes going on" If they cannot say anything more about it? Naturally this is just corporate doublespeaking coming down the pipeline but why even have it if everyone knows it is bs ?
Bunkers Hole

Bluefield, VA

#14 Jul 20, 2012
nedm wrote:
Wasn't it said on this site before that this is year two of a five year plan?
What's at issue isn't so much the changes but HOW they are doing them and HOW they are keeping people informed.
Would it have REALLY hurt them economically to phaze out the spiffs and sos over a six month period rather than all at once? Probably not. Sudden and abrupt change makes it appear that no one knows what is going on.
How about letting people know about what changes are coming up rather than have little things here and there leak out. What specifically is the point of having management say "There's going to be alot of changes going on" If they cannot say anything more about it? Naturally this is just corporate doublespeaking coming down the pipeline but why even have it if everyone knows it is bs ?
A big handclap for nedm! Kept it on topic and made an excellent point about the management line regarding change is coming... but we can't tell you what it is. Good job my friend, good job!

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#15 Jul 21, 2012
SuperFun9000 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your tiredness of the negativity. But put yourself into the average employee's shoes for a moment. You lost spiffs, bonuses were cut, and you lost floor coverage, only to gain an i-phone.
I wish the folks who don't like us voicing our opinions would get the same hourly wage, dismal bonus and sad raise. Maybe they would then understand-could they support their families on what the cashiers and CSA's. nope--corporate is like our govt--out of touch with the common folk. They sit in the offices in NC making decisions that they themselves don't live by---once again, sounds like our Washington Congress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
being a service manager worth it? 1 hr funny 7
Amazon looking into buying Lowes 2 hr Boo2812 15
2801 Is burning!!! 3 hr Reflections 11
service Manager rotation 3 hr one up 1
Severence 4 hr Kratos4706 8
Best work shoes for concrete floors & Lowes 4 hr It is now 6
Rough Draft of the schedule 8 hr NibbyCronies 2
Store managers should be worried 8 hr NibbyCronies 71
CSA 5 Extension 10 hr Oobie Doobie 134
Pros and Specialist are next. Fri abc 79
More from around the web