Lowes bigtime layoffs full time emplo...
american

Holly Springs, NC

#1529 Feb 1, 2012
Bottom line is that their shelves are full of crappy asian sweat shop made goods and they have a business model that puts their customer base out of work.Out of work americans can't afford Lowes and now Lowes can;t afford to pay full time wages and benefits. Things are going full circle.
MDGuy

Aurora, CO

#1530 Feb 1, 2012
SPIFFS aren't going away.
I-Phones will replace the Spectralink in Q1 or Q2.

Also new certifications available for Kitchen Designers with up to a 4% raise.
MDGuy

Aurora, CO

#1531 Feb 1, 2012
ChuckyDoll wrote:
<quoted text>Heard it yesterday from my Cabinet Rep...by the end of the year no more spiffs. By the end of this fiscal year, no spiffs for granite. Gonna be a rocky ride! The appliance specialists are going to be shocked!
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Agree or disagree with no spiffs?
How would a cabinet rep know anything about Appliance spiffs?
Sorry SPIFFS aren't going away for Appliances
No Spiffs

Hopewell Junction, NY

#1532 Feb 2, 2012
Why wouldn't Lowe's keep the spiffs for themselves?
I don't believe that Sears or HD pay them anymore.
Lowe's usually follows others anyway, so that seems reasonable for them to do.
Wondering

United States

#1533 Feb 2, 2012
What organizational changes are they gonna be making? I heard....getting rid of psa's, no more HR in the stores, eliminating sales specialist "title", eliminating at least 1 ASM, and adding dept mgrs (for lower volume stores that have one dept mgr per up to 6 depts)...anyone know?
the facts are in

Mooresville, NC

#1534 Feb 2, 2012
Ask you HR, they know all, don't be afraid. Larger stores are sending 1 ASM, PSA's, pricing, stocking to evenings. Not sure about HR or DM's....we have to go with the flow.
NEDM

Pembroke, MA

#1535 Feb 2, 2012
"Bottom line is that their shelves are full of crappy asian sweat shop made goods and they have a business model that puts their customer base out of work.Out of work americans can't afford Lowes and now Lowes can;t afford to pay full time wages and benefits. Things are going full circle. "

Huh? Even if lowes made more in the USA the costs would be hire so your argument is a bit circular. It isn't sweat shops.

The fact of the matter remains is that housing is no longer a big deal. Since more people now live in cities the concept is dying. The majority of American's poor now live in suburbs..not cities. You don't need as much for appliances, you don't need as much paint...urban areas can be satisfied by a Ace or a True value much more than a lowes or a hd.

What exactly is original or creative at lowes? Anyone can google diy stuff and see videos of it. What makes it unique?
No whining here

Mooresville, NC

#1536 Feb 2, 2012
We do! We make Lowe's unique. Yea, it's not perfect, life is not perfect, poitics is not perfect, NOTHING is perfect, but here we are working and making the best of what it is. Negative comments breed more negative comments, that certainly is going full circle on this page.

Whatever the future brings, right now I am working and saving my money for whatever will be. Enjoy everyday....
wtf 1

United States

#1537 Feb 2, 2012
No whining here wrote:
We do! We make Lowe's unique. Yea, it's not perfect, life is not perfect, poitics is not perfect, NOTHING is perfect, but here we are working and making the best of what it is. Negative comments breed more negative comments, that certainly is going full circle on this page.

Whatever the future brings, right now I am working and saving my money for whatever will be. Enjoy everyday....
well said. We can all live by this. People making the negative comments probably don't work for slowes I mean lowes. If it comes down to being let go or laid off so be it. This is my destiny and I will survive. I survive a disease and I can survive anything
Steve

United States

#1538 Feb 2, 2012
Wondering wrote:
What organizational changes are they gonna be making? I heard....getting rid of psa's, no more HR in the stores, eliminating sales specialist "title", eliminating at least 1 ASM, and adding dept mgrs (for lower volume stores that have one dept mgr per up to 6 depts)...anyone know?
Maybe Nessum or MDGuy can answer this if they dare.
It only stands to reason that they would.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1539 Feb 2, 2012
Spiffs are money from the vendors...if they do not pass them on to the sales force, it enhances Lowe's bottom line as "found money."

Another example of how much Lowe's actually cares for the employees.
american

Holly Springs, NC

#1540 Feb 2, 2012
NEDM wrote:
"Bottom line is that their shelves are full of crappy asian sweat shop made goods and they have a business model that puts their customer base out of work.Out of work americans can't afford Lowes and now Lowes can;t afford to pay full time wages and benefits. Things are going full circle. "
Huh? Even if lowes made more in the USA the costs would be hire so your argument is a bit circular. It isn't sweat shops.
The fact of the matter remains is that housing is no longer a big deal. Since more people now live in cities the concept is dying. The majority of American's poor now live in suburbs..not cities. You don't need as much for appliances, you don't need as much paint...urban areas can be satisfied by a Ace or a True value much more than a lowes or a hd.
What exactly is original or creative at lowes? Anyone can google diy stuff and see videos of it. What makes it unique?
housing is off because of record unemployment.A equal number is underemployed and can't afford housing upgrades.Look at the list of retail chain failures, this strategy of putting your customers out of work along with looming $4-5 gas prices will take out more
MDGuy

Jenison, MI

#1541 Feb 2, 2012
Spiffs aren't going away. At least this year anyway.
MDGuy

Jenison, MI

#1542 Feb 2, 2012
Wondering wrote:
What organizational changes are they gonna be making? I heard....getting rid of psa's, no more HR in the stores, eliminating sales specialist "title", eliminating at least 1 ASM, and adding dept mgrs (for lower volume stores that have one dept mgr per up to 6 depts)...anyone know?
No. Haven't heard any of these except the HR, but I don't forsee any big changes with reductions this year.
NEDM

Pembroke, MA

#1543 Feb 2, 2012
Housing is off because we over built the housing market. There are 19 million empty homes...nearly anyone could get a mortage but it got to the point where it really didn't matter if someone has a home or not. Suburbs are generally boring. Younger generations are no longer afraid of cities. They have bars, clubs, museums, theaters etc. You can live without a car. Suburbs might not have sidewalks and require you to have a car and travel constantly.

Housing upgrades make little sense as the market isn't going up. See patrick.net and see why buying a home is a very bad idea right now. We've made way too many homes...way too much. Besides who honestly wants to live in the same place for 30 years? If businesses can move but people can't then who has the advantage? Being able and willing to move is one of the best things to improve the chances of finding a job.

As for lowes being unique could someone answer the question with a real answer.

What specifically makes lowes unique?

Why should I or anyone else choose lowes to do business with amoung any and ALL possable competitors?

Is it call buttons? Free coffee at commerical sales? Nascar team sponsorship?
saindiego 1534

Bremerton, WA

#1544 Feb 2, 2012
Lowes isn't unique in anyway except for their way of copying other business models..... there is nothing innovative about the things being done..... that's the big problem with the company..... Lowes cant think out of the box (big box store) lol.... Lowes is playing catchup....
No whining here

Mooresville, NC

#1545 Feb 3, 2012
Whatever dude ... I didn't say the store was innovative I said "WE" make the store unique...we have a great store, you have a horrible attitude. If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
saindiego 1534

United States

#1546 Feb 3, 2012
What made Lowes unique in the past was knowledgeable people who actually worked in the field of each department..... that's is no longer true for the most part. Those people are gone replaced with people who read labels to explain thing to customers.
saindiego 1534

United States

#1547 Feb 3, 2012
No whining here wrote:
Whatever dude ... I didn't say the store was innovative I said "WE" make the store unique...we have a great store, you have a horrible attitude. If you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I wasn't referring to your comment ..... other wise would have seen this type of reply..... take it so personal.... ;p
NEDM

Pembroke, MA

#1548 Feb 3, 2012
"What made Lowes unique in the past was knowledgeable people who actually worked in the field of each department..... that's is no longer true for the most part. Those people are gone replaced with people who read labels to explain thing to customers."

That is pretty true...but who today needs advice face to face when the internet is around? Yes not everyone uses it but access is there. Besides giving advice opens up HUGE liabilities. If you give advice and there's an accident you are technically liable. Same reason why HD can't give advice out either. You'd have to have some sort of liability waivers and that would scare the heck out of customers.

Besides why should advice be free anyway? If you have something of value you should charge for it. Even if someone doesn't use the internet they should at least pay $50 or so for a book to show them in detail how to do what they want.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lowes pilot program in east coast to eliminate ... (Oct '15) 2 hr Lowes Jihad 1,123
Politics Sucks 4 hr Doof 2
Our Store RTM guy just lost his door! 7 hr Worried 10
Holiday Pay now a 'use it or loose it' category... Wed RetailSlave2816969 9
Congratulations Bob! Wed Blind Rodent 2
New Overtime Rules Wed JesusTapdancingCh... 16
RTM Position going away? May 24 HoldingOn 9
More from around the web