2013 Lowe's Store Staffing Changes

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#121 Dec 15, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
SMTP is nothing like those old programs. It's 7 weeks of training at the CSC, including time at an actual university. That, on top of payroll for those weeks, filling their old position, travel, food allowances, and a hotel for that long adds up. I think they're getting ready to put down a lot of the old dogs. The funny thing is, because most of the MDs are all the same type, they are sending a lot of the 10+ year ASMs to SMTP. They're going to end up replacing old timers with old timers.
Talent evaluation on that large of a scale can end up being a guessing game. Existing managers have a track record of performance, be it profit, customer satisfaction, etc. It's not uncommon to train more managers than your needs dictate, knowing that a certain percentage will drop out or just not make the grade. If you need two managers you train three.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#122 Dec 16, 2012
Brad Mason wrote:
<quoted text>
Talent evaluation on that large of a scale can end up being a guessing game. Existing managers have a track record of performance, be it profit, customer satisfaction, etc. It's not uncommon to train more managers than your needs dictate, knowing that a certain percentage will drop out or just not make the grade. If you need two managers you train three.
"Talent evaluation on that large of a scale can end up being a guessing game."

Our performance evals are done by our ASM who very seldom interacts with me and we seldom see our DM, how can she adequately evaluate me...? She cannot unless she was to talk to my co-workers or DM-which doesn't happen. So when she answers questions from Pay Rate Advisor she is guessing at best.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#123 Dec 16, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
"Talent evaluation on that large of a scale can end up being a guessing game."
Our performance evals are done by our ASM who very seldom interacts with me and we seldom see our DM, how can she adequately evaluate me...? She cannot unless she was to talk to my co-workers or DM-which doesn't happen. So when she answers questions from Pay Rate Advisor she is guessing at best.
I was referring to Store Manager evaluation.
Harry Potter Alvarez

Schnecksville, PA

#124 Dec 16, 2012
Staffing update:

Lowes will continue to focus on payroll and expense control in 2013 and job "re-classifications" . Yes, some zone managers will be asked to step down or re-locate. But no outright terminations unless they refuse to take the new position. As of right now, the demotions will not come with a reduction in pay, remember the highest earning zone managers were let go in 2011. Most of the zones making over $50,000 a year are gone. So yes, if you were making $40,000 as a zone, you will be making $40,000 as a department manager.
Sales specialists will have it a little easier. Loss of spiffs, commissions, etc... but hourly rates remain the same and job security much higher than any manager in the store as long as you continue to hit your numbers.

That being said, expect 2013 to be a very rough year to keep your job and pay. As we transition into this new structure mid year reviews will be dealing with "under performers". That means by the end of 2013 managers take a huge paycut and continue as an hourly/possibly sales "lead" or seek other employment.
DMxMD

Laredo, TX

#125 Dec 16, 2012
Lol. There is no way they are going to pay us our current hourly rate to be a DM or Specialist. If they did, it would be the single greatest gift the company has ever given senior store management.

If you read Dennis Knowles' comment on the rumors on connections from Thursday, he says although the company constantly looks at positions to make sure we are competitive, there are currently no plans to make any changes for 2013 other than reinvestment in payroll.(Speaking of the payroll test for stores >$25M.) He also added that the allowance was staying.
Spanish Mike Alvarez

Schnecksville, PA

#126 Dec 16, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
Lol. There is no way they are going to pay us our current hourly rate to be a DM or Specialist. If they did, it would be the single greatest gift the company has ever given senior store management.
If you read Dennis Knowles' comment on the rumors on connections from Thursday, he says although the company constantly looks at positions to make sure we are competitive, there are currently no plans to make any changes for 2013 other than reinvestment in payroll.(Speaking of the payroll test for stores >$25M.) He also added that the allowance was staying.
Who are you going to believe some Lowe's corporate brown noser or Spanish Mike?

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#127 Dec 16, 2012
Brad Mason wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to Store Manager evaluation.
I know-was just saying that the evaluation process of us is flawed.
DMxMD

Laredo, TX

#128 Dec 16, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
I know-was just saying that the evaluation process of us is flawed.
Input from your supervisor (DM) is weighted heavily on the review and signed off on by your manager (ASM). I'm not sure what exactly you would prefer. If neither your DM or ASM is around enough to get a general idea of what your work ethic and performance is like, then that's pretty unusual. I see all of my team daily. Now I'm not following them around making notes on everything they do, if that's what you wanted, but I guarantee over the course of a year, I'm going to know enough about you to fill out a simple review.

A review is just that, a review of what we should have already been talking about daily, weekly, monthly, etc. If something shows up in your review that catches you off guard, then my DM and I have not done our jobs of coaching and training daily. If your boss is waiting until the end of the year to tell you you need to step it up with MyLowes or follow up more with order management, then what did that accomplish? Nothing. Stopping by the department and chatting about it when you notice it works wonders though.

Pedro, yes there are some horrible DMs and ASMs out there. Sorry about that, but those things have ways of working themselves out. The review process is very similar to what I've seen in many retail businesses though
Whickerbill

Wake Forest, NC

#129 Dec 16, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
Lol. There is no way they are going to pay us our current hourly rate to be a DM or Specialist. If they did, it would be the single greatest gift the company has ever given senior store management.
If you read Dennis Knowles' comment on the rumors on connections from Thursday, he says although the company constantly looks at positions to make sure we are competitive, there are currently no plans to make any changes for 2013 other than reinvestment in payroll.(Speaking of the payroll test for stores >$25M.) He also added that the allowance was staying.
A year ago they were saying the exact same thing about spiffs and commissions. We were being told on connections by the corporate flaks that little or no change was going to occur. We all know what happened with that. Corporate big shots are just like politicians. They are going to lie to you and tell you what you want to hear until it is time for the axe to fall. What is going to happen next year? My guess is as good as anyone elses. We will know before long. In the meantime, it's one day at a time and the paycheck still keeps coming every other week.
Whickerbill

Wake Forest, NC

#130 Dec 16, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Input from your supervisor (DM) is weighted heavily on the review and signed off on by your manager (ASM). I'm not sure what exactly you would prefer. If neither your DM or ASM is around enough to get a general idea of what your work ethic and performance is like, then that's pretty unusual. I see all of my team daily. Now I'm not following them around making notes on everything they do, if that's what you wanted, but I guarantee over the course of a year, I'm going to know enough about you to fill out a simple review.
A review is just that, a review of what we should have already been talking about daily, weekly, monthly, etc. If something shows up in your review that catches you off guard, then my DM and I have not done our jobs of coaching and training daily. If your boss is waiting until the end of the year to tell you you need to step it up with MyLowes or follow up more with order management, then what did that accomplish? Nothing. Stopping by the department and chatting about it when you notice it works wonders though.
Pedro, yes there are some horrible DMs and ASMs out there. Sorry about that, but those things have ways of working themselves out. The review process is very similar to what I've seen in many retail businesses though
At my store the ASMS are standing by and listening to our interactions with customers, what we say, how we say it, and how we present the various programs and options to the customer. Three of our four ASMs have observed me so far. They are also standing back at a distance and observing us on such things as what we do when there are no customers in our area, our willingness to go to other departments to help out with call buttons, etc. Our sales numbers are also being reviewed and discussed with us.
I'm not too worried because I do my job like I am supposed to and I have been told as much by management. That being said, however, I do believe a weeding out process is coming, and therein lies my concerns. I am an older full time employee making more than the average Lowes associate. And looking at it from the corporate point of view, any part time trained monkey can invoice appliances. I do not believe this company values experience, superior knowledge, or ability any more.
Like I said elsewhere, one day at a time and we will know soon enough. If the axe does fall, I'll just draw my Social Security a few years earlier than planned, and let you working stiffs pay for my early retirement while I fish, enjoy my photography hobby, go to estate auctions and flip the good buys for a profit, and enjoy life.
dont worry be happy

Schnecksville, PA

#131 Dec 16, 2012
Whickerbill wrote:
I'll just draw my Social Security a few years earlier than planned, and let you working stiffs pay for my early retirement while I fish, enjoy my photography hobby, go to estate auctions and flip the good buys for a profit, and enjoy life.
You just described my life! LOL!

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#132 Dec 16, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Input from your supervisor (DM) is weighted heavily on the review and signed off on by your manager (ASM). I'm not sure what exactly you would prefer. If neither your DM or ASM is around enough to get a general idea of what your work ethic and performance is like, then that's pretty unusual. I see all of my team daily. Now I'm not following them around making notes on everything they do, if that's what you wanted, but I guarantee over the course of a year, I'm going to know enough about you to fill out a simple review.
A review is just that, a review of what we should have already been talking about daily, weekly, monthly, etc. If something shows up in your review that catches you off guard, then my DM and I have not done our jobs of coaching and training daily. If your boss is waiting until the end of the year to tell you you need to step it up with MyLowes or follow up more with order management, then what did that accomplish? Nothing. Stopping by the department and chatting about it when you notice it works wonders though.
Pedro, yes there are some horrible DMs and ASMs out there. Sorry about that, but those things have ways of working themselves out. The review process is very similar to what I've seen in many retail businesses though
DM-some are not terrible, they are probably not trained well. I can go for days without seeing my DM or ASM. Our DM has a understaffed dept that takes up his time. Our ASM used to be the Sales manager so spends much of their time with the specialists, helping the cashiers with customer concerns and doing the paperwork required-rechecking our work etc. Some sit in the office, some run around like a chicken with their head cutoff and others walk around calmly helping, coaching, thanking etc. I am probably hard on them because I worked for a hard boss that insisted on excellence in all we did and we were trained well in employee motivation, evaluations, coaching etc. We practiced employee participation in decisions and their work environment. If they would take to heart the EOP they would see trends, common themes. One cannot fix everything at once but can work on the top 3 or so.

I really don't expect anything to change-there is no motivation to change as long as sales are fairly good and there is plenty of help available.
SMA

Schnecksville, PA

#133 Dec 16, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
DM-some are not terrible, they are probably not trained well. I can go for days without seeing my DM or ASM. Our DM has a understaffed dept that takes up his time. Our ASM used to be the Sales manager so spends much of their time with the specialists, helping the cashiers with customer concerns and doing the paperwork required-rechecking our work etc. Some sit in the office, some run around like a chicken with their head cutoff and others walk around calmly helping, coaching, thanking etc. I am probably hard on them because I worked for a hard boss that insisted on excellence in all we did and we were trained well in employee motivation, evaluations, coaching etc. We practiced employee participation in decisions and their work environment. If they would take to heart the EOP they would see trends, common themes. One cannot fix everything at once but can work on the top 3 or so.
I really don't expect anything to change-there is no motivation to change as long as sales are fairly good and there is plenty of help available.
Pedro,

Take a break from this. Go pet your dog, hug your kids ... scrub the toilet, anything ....

Give yourself and the rest of us on Topix a break.

Thanks,

Mike
DMxMD

Laredo, TX

#134 Dec 16, 2012
Whickerbill wrote:
<quoted text>
At my store the ASMS are standing by and listening to our interactions with customers, what we say, how we say it, and how we present the various programs and options to the customer. Three of our four ASMs have observed me so far. They are also standing back at a distance and observing us on such things as what we do when there are no customers in our area, our willingness to go to other departments to help out with call buttons, etc. Our sales numbers are also being reviewed and discussed with us.
I'm not too worried because I do my job like I am supposed to and I have been told as much by management. That being said, however, I do believe a weeding out process is coming, and therein lies my concerns. I am an older full time employee making more than the average Lowes associate. And looking at it from the corporate point of view, any part time trained monkey can invoice appliances. I do not believe this company values experience, superior knowledge, or ability any more.
Like I said elsewhere, one day at a time and we will know soon enough. If the axe does fall, I'll just draw my Social Security a few years earlier than planned, and let you working stiffs pay for my early retirement while I fish, enjoy my photography hobby, go to estate auctions and flip the good buys for a profit, and enjoy life.
Those are just SSPT observations. Believe me, we know if you are using impact, driving MyLowes, and offering credit, but as usual HR is grasping at straws to stay relevant. Because all the real HR work is being done at the store level, that makes for a very boring area, region, and divisional HR job. They have lots of time to sit around and dream up ways to make the HRM sound valuable so real HR duties don't get offloaded onto them. One of those ways is by having them "follow up" on our SSPT observations. Now, what used to be a good tool now and then, has become a mandatory, once a week, waste of time, in which we have to include the HRM on at least two of the "coaching conversations."

It's just another example of HR overstepping their bounds and getting involved where they don't need to be in order to seem important.
OhNoHeDidnt

Lakewood, OH

#135 Dec 16, 2012
Harry Potter Alvarez wrote:
Staffing update:
Lowes will continue to focus on payroll and expense control in 2013 and job "re-classifications" ...As of right now, the demotions will not come with a reduction in pay, remember the highest earning zone managers were let go in 2011. Most of the zones making over $50,000 a year are gone.
You quote that as if it came from a source but you couldn't be more off base. In just about every market I've worked in where I knew people let go, they weren't the highest paid or most senior. I had a peer until the ASM rotation making over $65K per year as an ASM. He's still with the company.

Job re-classifications are being applied to hourly CSAs across the front end and salesfloor, not senior management staff.

Payroll and expense control are an opportunity company-wide due to our new accounting format for profitability. Major site repair (painting, parking lot paving, etc) is no longer in the matrix of controllable expenses, along with a list of others. With that being said, stores are being careless with company funds to "fix" things that were never really an issue, but just needed some light maintenance. Payroll was a free for all earlier in the year and some store managers abused that. They ran hours of overtime with no consideration for the future costs and are now scrambling to leverage for the year in order to save some bonus.

You've done very well at stirring up rumors as usual. The moderator should rename this site after you: I Have TOO Much Free Time Alvarez.
Alvarez

Schnecksville, PA

#136 Dec 16, 2012
OhNoHeDidnt wrote:
The moderator should rename this site after you.
I second the motion...

JOIN THE ALVAREZ NATION!

ALVAREZNATION.COM coming Spring 2013
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#137 Dec 16, 2012
Ok so how many sm's does everyone think will get cut ?

100? 1000??

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#138 Dec 16, 2012
I took my dog for a walk in the rain...are you happy??
Case Worker for Pedro

Schnecksville, PA

#139 Dec 16, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
I took my dog for a walk in the rain...are you happy??
Yes very happy!

It's a start, baby steps Pedro, baby steps...
Case Worker for Pedro

Schnecksville, PA

#140 Dec 16, 2012
nedm wrote:
Ok so how many sm's does everyone think will get cut ?
100? 1000??
All of them.

Market Directors will run stores remotely using CCTV.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ASM's getting let go? 9 min Scott Steiner 76
Hourly wage 16 min Vulpes Fusca 100
Evolve phase 3 begins in Q3 1 hr hmmm 283
specialist future? 1 hr Enter Username 100
iz i safe? 1 hr I like it in the ... 1
Not Hapy 1 hr Lowesfordohs 2
Morning Huddle Message 2 hr I like it in the ... 9
Loss Prevention Cuts 17 hr Gtyup 111
This thread is for factual re-structure informa... Sat Vander 2,308
More from around the web