Ethics Point
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Frustrated

Highland, MI

#1 Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone called Ethics Point regarding issues in their store? We have a whole new management staff (just because of transfers) and the new store manager has his work cut out for him. His entire ASM staff, except 1, was hired before he came which was 4 months ago. We have so many "issues" that it isn't funny. One ASM is great but the rest are lazy, arrogant, ignorant, don't know the ASM position and have no desire to learn, make their own schedules and come and go when they please, and are not held accountable for shit. Given, none of us floor associates know what is in their HR file, however...it has to be thick and they are still employed, so...The Area HR has been called to our store by associates, to interview everyone about things happening. The Market Manager has been to our store to gather information as well, on a separate occasion. And yet, here we are and everyone is still behaving as usual, with no change. Word on the floor is that the Ethics Point phone number is making its way around the sales floor and there are associates going to call regarding issues we are having. What experience does anyone have??
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#2 Sep 24, 2012
Mileage may very. If this is the report you turn in to ethics point, it will only look petty and be ignored. You need solid evidence of unethical or illegal actions.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#3 Sep 24, 2012
Why would they change? Our store has had poor EOS scores for the past 5 years--we have had visits from above to find out the issues but nothing changes after the 1st of the year. It will be fun to see the results this year. Our HR person was going around and telling us to put 5's & 6's on our EOS...Let's not solve the problems, lets just manipulate the numbers so we look good or let's tell the employees how to fill it out so we don't look so bad.

They have no desire to change, all these things they do-EOS, Focus Groups, Safety meetings are only for show-keep a paper trail to show how they want involvement from us. In reality, they are covering their Arse-nothing will change however.
Spanish Mike Alvarez

Schnecksville, PA

#4 Sep 25, 2012
I live in my mom's basement.

Once I called the Ethics Point Hotline to complain about my store management.

A couple hours later, two guys dressed in black showed up at at my house. When my mom answered the door, the two thugs beat her beyond recognition and threw her down the basement steps.

Then they cut the cable line and broke my xbox 360.

I'll never do that again.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#5 Sep 25, 2012
peformance ultimatly lowers peoples rank.

I knew a dm that refused to use a ladder because he claimed he was too fast for it to be safe, he was demoted to loader.

A sm in the market recently failed inventory. So they changed the store to twice a year.

He failed those ones as well! Now he's a asm.
FormerSM

United States

#6 Sep 25, 2012
Frustrated wrote:
Has anyone called Ethics Point regarding issues in their store? We have a whole new management staff (just because of transfers) and the new store manager has his work cut out for him. His entire ASM staff, except 1, was hired before he came which was 4 months ago. We have so many "issues" that it isn't funny. One ASM is great but the rest are lazy, arrogant, ignorant, don't know the ASM position and have no desire to learn, make their own schedules and come and go when they please, and are not held accountable for shit. Given, none of us floor associates know what is in their HR file, however...it has to be thick and they are still employed, so...The Area HR has been called to our store by associates, to interview everyone about things happening. The Market Manager has been to our store to gather information as well, on a separate occasion. And yet, here we are and everyone is still behaving as usual, with no change. Word on the floor is that the Ethics Point phone number is making its way around the sales floor and there are associates going to call regarding issues we are having. What experience does anyone have??
Ethics Point calls go to your Area HR so it would be redundant to do this. You want to make an impact....call your Regional HR directly.
Spanish Mike Alvarez

Schnecksville, PA

#7 Sep 25, 2012
FormerSM wrote:
<quoted text>
Ethics Point calls go to your Area HR so it would be redundant to do this. You want to make an impact....call your Regional HR directly.
Seriously, if you do either, you will be branded a trouble maker and targeted for elimination.

There is no justice in retail unless you are a customer.
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#8 Sep 25, 2012
Only in retail do people try so often to take down their boss for no other reason than being their boss. A CSA that thinks an ASM is lazy has no idea what an ASM does on a daily basis. Rub a subordinate the wrong way when telling them to do something or while giving them a legitimate write up and you'll be in the HR office listening to some pencil pusher that's a lower paygrade than you side with your employee. If there's one thing I've learned its you're always going to have a few disgruntled employees. Eventually as a manager, you WILL get a corp call. Just a matter of time. In an effort to save my job if I was in the fire, maybe I'd try to take my boss down first too. I don't know till I'm there, but that's sure what happens with a lot of hourlys when the spotlight is on them. It's just petty. And yes, often times you will be targeted after a ethics call is dismissed because your mgmt team is afraid of what craziness you'll cook up next. By trying to get your boss fired before you get fired yourself, you're asking to start a war. All you have to do to avoid all that is just be smart. Only make ethics calls when you have ligitimate evidence of unethical or illegal behavior. "I don't like my boss" is not an ethics issue. Otherwise just try to get allong with everyone and do your job.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#9 Sep 25, 2012
"A CSA that thinks an ASM is lazy has no idea what an ASM does on a daily basis."

I'm not saying asm's are good or bad but I have seen lazy management. It's odd because they were actually nice people but frankly did little work. Which is also weird because I know of hard working managers that frankly were deemed as being assholes.

Being "nice" is ok for management but it doesn't exactly mean that work is being done. Furthermore being rough isn't exactly that bad of a thing if it means work is getting done.

Going over someones head sometimes is needed but it really shouldn't be the first thing to do.
x lowes employee

Bourbonnais, IL

#10 Sep 25, 2012
Yes thats what I did because I could not get help with in the store .Thats why I no longer have a job.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#11 Sep 25, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
Only in retail do people try so often to take down their boss for no other reason than being their boss. A CSA that thinks an ASM is lazy has no idea what an ASM does on a daily basis. Rub a subordinate the wrong way when telling them to do something or while giving them a legitimate write up and you'll be in the HR office listening to some pencil pusher that's a lower paygrade than you side with your employee. If there's one thing I've learned its you're always going to have a few disgruntled employees. Eventually as a manager, you WILL get a corp call. Just a matter of time. In an effort to save my job if I was in the fire, maybe I'd try to take my boss down first too. I don't know till I'm there, but that's sure what happens with a lot of hourlys when the spotlight is on them. It's just petty. And yes, often times you will be targeted after a ethics call is dismissed because your mgmt team is afraid of what craziness you'll cook up next. By trying to get your boss fired before you get fired yourself, you're asking to start a war. All you have to do to avoid all that is just be smart. Only make ethics calls when you have ligitimate evidence of unethical or illegal behavior. "I don't like my boss" is not an ethics issue. Otherwise just try to get allong with everyone and do your job.
1st-the only reason I would want to take my boss out is if they wanted me to do something illegal or against policy-which has happened a few times in our store (involving SM). To say we don't know what a ASM does is a bit naive. Having been in management before some of these cats were even born, I know what management entails. My complaint with management is the don't know how to manage, give positive feedback, work direction or hold people accountable. But, that is not their total fault, that is their SM and above's fault-our SM doesn't do these things either-at least not that I can see. Our ASM's manage like the SM does-aloof, poor communication and not visible.

The reason some of us wouldn't fit Lowes style is because we don't subscribe to their management style-we have seen things that work better and the SM might feel threatened instead of using their strengths and, possibly listening to their experiences. Personally-I would like to be a manager but I could not under the present style coming from NC. I don't believe in the way they treat their hourly employees.

Since: Sep 12

Brandon, MS

#12 Sep 25, 2012
I think ethic point has its place because it does take it outside of lowes if only for a few minutes. I believe it is then sent through the HR chain where they could still bury it but ethic point reports directly to corporate as a vendor so it can never be totally buried. I agree however no matter what you report to the hr chain or ethics point get ready to be fired at some point if they find out who it is. I believe I would do it online because ethics point does record your voice message and it can be accessed by hr. You do not have to state your name but they will reconize the voice. If you do it do it online. I do not know anyone who has used it so cannot say what if any results you will get but complaining about bad management probably will not get much traction.
cult of personality

United States

#13 Sep 25, 2012
There are other avenues for what your talking about. Ethics point from my understanding is to report things such as theft, selling items at huge discounts to friends, giving product away under the guise of customer satisfaction and such, not for poor management ability. Were I in your described shoes, I would either give them time to hang themselves or go to the district HR, if that doesn't work go up the ladder till it does. I had a situation and I went beyond district and region to corp. It was settled with in about 2 hours time of my calling the Corp head of HR. I was called into the store and apologies were given. So if your truly in the right and can prove your comments or claims with emails or policy you are going to have more credibility . Just remember innuendo or embellishments are going to discredit you and speak in terms of truth and fairness.
Devils Fan

Rathdrum, ID

#14 Sep 26, 2012
Spanish Mike Alvarez wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, if you do either, you will be branded a trouble maker and targeted for elimination.
There is no justice in retail unless you are a customer.
You're far from the truth on that my friend. Injuries at home can be blamed when you're at work and do 100x's the damage some ethics phone call or a customer can do. I had a coworker at my previous employer injured himself while planting a garden only to claim he did it at work. Ask any of the ASM's on here how much that cost the company.
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#15 Sep 26, 2012
So the company's insurance paid for it instead of the associate's insurance, which is 100% lowes backed. Minus a lawsuit, that's actually better for the company probably.
Anna

Seminole, FL

#16 Sep 29, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
So the company's insurance paid for it instead of the associate's insurance, which is 100% lowes backed. Minus a lawsuit, that's actually better for the company probably.
Hello Mr. Dmxr,,,I feel awful for your family if you have any,,,,,,,,,,
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#17 Sep 29, 2012
Anna wrote:
<quoted text>Hello Mr. Dmxr,,,I feel awful for your family if you have any,,,,,,,,,,
Hi Anna. You're a bitch.

I'm good at what I do and bring home more than enough to give us a comfortable life, because instead of griping incessantly on online forums or connections about how shitty my $9/HR CSA job is, I've worked hard and earned a position leading people like you. Why don't you go back to occupying wallstreet or whatever it is you do. Better yet, why don't you change your attitude and succeed at work. Maybe then one day you'll be able to see things from a different perspective and make more money. I wouldn't want you to be too broke. Heaven forbid you get your internet access shut off. I wouldn't know what to do without all your insightful comments and daily overdose of ill placed commas.
Stratcat73

Mooresville, NC

#18 Sep 30, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
Why would they change? Our store has had poor EOS scores for the past 5 years--we have had visits from above to find out the issues but nothing changes after the 1st of the year. It will be fun to see the results this year. Our HR person was going around and telling us to put 5's & 6's on our EOS...Let's not solve the problems, lets just manipulate the numbers so we look good or let's tell the employees how to fill it out so we don't look so bad.
They have no desire to change, all these things they do-EOS, Focus Groups, Safety meetings are only for show-keep a paper trail to show how they want involvement from us. In reality, they are covering their Arse-nothing will change however.
They did this at my store last year, but not this year. The whole thing has been pretty subdued.
nOT nEDM

Mooresville, NC

#19 Sep 30, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Anna. You're a bitch.
I'm good at what I do and bring home more than enough to give us a comfortable life, because instead of griping incessantly on online forums or connections about how shitty my $9/HR CSA job is, I've worked hard and earned a position leading people like you. Why don't you go back to occupying wallstreet or whatever it is you do. Better yet, why don't you change your attitude and succeed at work. Maybe then one day you'll be able to see things from a different perspective and make more money. I wouldn't want you to be too broke. Heaven forbid you get your internet access shut off. I wouldn't know what to do without all your insightful comments and daily overdose of ill placed commas.
HAHAHA!!! SO TRUE!
Whickerbill

Mooresville, NC

#20 Sep 30, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Anna. You're a bitch.
I know nothing about your family life, but I have a strong suspicion that the old song, "The Cat's In the Cradle" by Harry Chapin would probably fit you perfectly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lowes Management receives rings (Jun '11) 15 hr Blowes 92
Lowes pilot program in east coast to eliminate ... (Oct '15) 21 hr mdheatherisapig 1,287
Mgt. Eavesdrops on employees? Mon Blowes 7
cuts are coming!!!!! Jul 24 Corporate hatchet 3
Dept managers down sized to service managers Jul 24 Corporate hatchet 21
News Is Lowe's moving Installed Sales from the store... (Nov '09) Jul 24 Nervousdmis 72
farting in front of customers! Jul 24 Hootus 27
More from around the web