Do you think cashiers should have to ...

Do you think cashiers should have to stay after closing like floor associates do

Created by Bird on May 22, 2012

109 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
whyowhy

Orange, TX

#22 May 30, 2012
MATRIX wrote:
I ask that they not clean the restrooms in the evening, just that they pick up the scattered toilet tissue to keep a neat appearance.
I accidentally put a "Judge It" of incendiary on this post. I meant to put it on the post above this one, where the moron wrote that the cashiers are needed to clean the bathrooms. Someone should explain to the loser that there is a position called "Facility Services Associate" which includes cleaning and the FSAs are needed to clean the bathrooms. That is what they are paid for.
whyowhy

Orange, TX

#23 May 30, 2012
Bird wrote:
I for one am getting tired of running to the front to cover cashier lunches every single day or to cover schedule gaps for a couple of hours, losing time to zone recover or complete tasks, losing dept managers to cover head cashier lunches, only to see the cashiers running out the door at the closing bell or after their work is done. It seems as if we are required to work around lunches, breaks, customers, tasks, and zone recovery to help them do their jobs, or to do their job for them, yet when it comes to catch up time at the end of the day, they are not held to the same standards as us. I have talked to others from other stores and they feel much the same, but I always hear excuses from head cashiers as to why they should receive our support and help, yet they should not have to return the favor.
If we have to put our priorities aside to help them, then they should have to stay the one or two hours after closing to help us zone recover as far as I am concerned. Who knows, maybe we wouldn't have to stay as long at the end of the day. Maybe people wouldn't be as disgruntled seeing others held to the standards that they are, and everyone could gain a better understanding of the operations around the whole store instead of just the floor associates. Part of orientation now is for floor associates to be trained on the cash register. Maybe then the cashiers should be required to be power equipment certified so they can help us fill lumber etc at the end of the day. Does it or does it not make sense, and is it or is it not fair to require the same from one group as the other? Do you feel the same as I do, that the work load in many other areas of the store is being laid on the backs of floor associates while the cashiers etc are not required to return the favor? Thoughts?
I am a cashier and we are often told that we may not get our 15 minute breaks
because there may not be enough cashiers to cover us. We often go without breaks.
Also, our scheduled lunches are pushed either up or back as the Head Cashiers fill in gaps caused by one or more cashiers calling in sick.
I have gone for up to six hours without a break.
We are all told that the customers come first. Lines are never allowed to be very long, and they will call other people from their departments to man registers so that the customers will not have to wait so long and will have a more positive overall experience.
In our store, everyone is required to be certified as a spotter and employees are asked to be certified on power equipment.
Cashiers are not pulled to work in other departments because we are always needed at the registers. Believe me, we would be delighted with the chance to get a break from the registers and work in another position once in a while. There is a spirit of competition among us to get pulled from the registers to fill the drink machines or the cash wraps
Cashiers at my store do stay after the store is closed for one hour to do basic cleaning (which I can see in cashier areas, but the break room and bathrooms should be cleaned by the FSA, which is not always the case where I work.) We also zone aisle 10 (cleaning supplies and outdoor lighting) and aisle 1 (light bulbs) If we finish with all that, we are put to work zoning other areas.
There is great wailing and gnashing of teeth by people asked to answer a code 3, but when it comes to cashiers doing zoning in their departments, they act like it is somehow their due.
I think cashiers should have to keep up their areas, just as other associates are expected to keep up with cleanliness in their departments, but I do not think that cashiers should ever be looked upon as emergency janitors, which sometimes happens.
Cashiers, at least in my store, work hard.
We get a few "clunkers" who want to get hired, but do not want to come to work when scheduled and make it hard for everyone. I don't know what to say about that, except that it seems to happen everywhere I have ever worked.
NewBee

Van Alstyne, TX

#24 May 30, 2012
Cashiers, are equally as important as any other position at any. I think that as with any other job it takes a certain type of personality to do the job and do it well, as far as I am concerned all jobs are equal and the right persons in the right places thru out the store is what makes it work well as a whole. remenber every team has a ball hog (glory seeker) I pay them no mind to them and do the best I can at anything I do, It is personal to me to be the best I can at anything I do. you can be a slacker at any position, I would rather be a great cashier than a meadaoker sales person, Department manager ASM or any other job
MATRIX

United States

#25 May 30, 2012
Well at Lowes there are no walls, the bathroom cleaning can fall to any employee per policy. Just as covering a code 50 does. Im an FSA but I load lumber, mix paint, ringout customers, and get stock off the floor. Its called TEAM. Most associates have no Idea what an FSA does other than the restrooms. As of February we have to maintain SAM, track all repair vendors, verify their work for payment, answer to admin and Aim as to why the budget is out of kilter. Alot more than the job description states.
CSA-Lowes

Spotsylvania, VA

#26 Sep 13, 2012
Bird wrote:
I for one am getting tired of running to the front to cover cashier lunches every single day or to cover schedule gaps for a couple of hours, losing time to zone recover or complete tasks, losing dept managers to cover head cashier lunches, only to see the cashiers running out the door at the closing bell or after their work is done. It seems as if we are required to work around lunches, breaks, customers, tasks, and zone recovery to help them do their jobs, or to do their job for them, yet when it comes to catch up time at the end of the day, they are not held to the same standards as us. I have talked to others from other stores and they feel much the same, but I always hear excuses from head cashiers as to why they should receive our support and help, yet they should not have to return the favor.
If we have to put our priorities aside to help them, then they should have to stay the one or two hours after closing to help us zone recover as far as I am concerned. Who knows, maybe we wouldn't have to stay as long at the end of the day. Maybe people wouldn't be as disgruntled seeing others held to the standards that they are, and everyone could gain a better understanding of the operations around the whole store instead of just the floor associates. Part of orientation now is for floor associates to be trained on the cash register. Maybe then the cashiers should be required to be power equipment certified so they can help us fill lumber etc at the end of the day. Does it or does it not make sense, and is it or is it not fair to require the same from one group as the other? Do you feel the same as I do, that the work load in many other areas of the store is being laid on the backs of floor associates while the cashiers etc are not required to return the favor? Thoughts?
Bird, last month my ASM jumped me for thanking a coworker for his help pulling an item down with a picker for a customer. A cashier got stopped in my department by a customer and, my asm said " she shouldn't have to deal with your customer". I told him, I shouldn't have to run registers then. He didn't like it but hey, truth hurts I guess.
Anonymous

Indian Trail, NC

#27 Sep 14, 2012
CSA-Lowes wrote:
<quoted text>Bird, last month my ASM jumped me for thanking a coworker for his help pulling an item down with a picker for a customer. A cashier got stopped in my department by a customer and, my asm said " she shouldn't have to deal with your customer". I told him, I shouldn't have to run registers then. He didn't like it but hey, truth hurts I guess.
Lol. ASM'S don't really like it when you have a brain and a backbone. Keep it up and you'll have their job if you want.:)
Choose to be happy

Humble, TX

#28 Nov 4, 2015
whyowhy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a cashier and we are often told that we may not get our 15 minute breaks
because there may not be enough cashiers to cover us. We often go without breaks.
Also, our scheduled lunches are pushed either up or back as the Head Cashiers fill in gaps caused by one or more cashiers calling in sick.
I have gone for up to six hours without a break.
We are all told that the customers come first. Lines are never allowed to be very long, and they will call other people from their departments to man registers so that the customers will not have to wait so long and will have a more positive overall experience.
In our store, everyone is required to be certified as a spotter and employees are asked to be certified on power equipment.
Cashiers are not pulled to work in other departments because we are always needed at the registers. Believe me, we would be delighted with the chance to get a break from the registers and work in another position once in a while. There is a spirit of competition among us to get pulled from the registers to fill the drink machines or the cash wraps
Cashiers at my store do stay after the store is closed for one hour to do basic cleaning (which I can see in cashier areas, but the break room and bathrooms should be cleaned by the FSA, which is not always the case where I work.) We also zone aisle 10 (cleaning supplies and outdoor lighting) and aisle 1 (light bulbs) If we finish with all that, we are put to work zoning other areas.
There is great wailing and gnashing of teeth by people asked to answer a code 3, but when it comes to cashiers doing zoning in their departments, they act like it is somehow their due.
I think cashiers should have to keep up their areas, just as other associates are expected to keep up with cleanliness in their departments, but I do not think that cashiers should ever be looked upon as emergency janitors, which sometimes happens.
Cashiers, at least in my store, work hard.
We get a few "clunkers" who want to get hired, but do not want to come to work when scheduled and make it hard for everyone. I don't know what to say about that, except that it seems to happen everywhere I have ever worked.
OMG!!!!!!Absolutely NOT! Team work is great when your making about the same wage. Your being used as cheap labor!!!! The floor associate is being paid a lot more than the cashier. Read your official Lowes cashier job requirements. I did and recovery in other dept.,cleaning restrooms nor getting carts from the lot is not listed. Have some pride and guts! When your asked to do these things ask them to document your hours when you preforming these duties so that you can receive the same pay code as a department associate. If you should lose your job for not doing it, look at it this way. God is leading you to where he needs you to be.
jakeboston

Waterbury, CT

#29 Nov 4, 2015
We have a head cashier soon to be promoted to DM just because she smiles to all the ASMs and flirts with the guys....ignores customers.....rude to others.....can't handle pressure......future ASM

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Lowe's moving Installed Sales from the store... (Nov '09) 5 hr Nervousdmis 72
farting in front of customers! 5 hr Hootus 27
Why is it so hard to get full time in Lowes 18 hr westcoaster 11
Legrands adorne and radiant series Fri Hot topic 3
cuts are coming!!!!! Thu Doh 2
policy handbook Jul 19 Lowesfordohs 3
now-i seen everything Jul 19 SMILE 3
Lowes pilot program in east coast to eliminate ... (Oct '15) Jul 17 vilanov 1,285
More from around the web