Lowes Management receives rings

Lowes Management receives rings

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#1 Jun 14, 2011
Was it motivational to be called to the morning meeting and watch the store manager hand our rings to the ASM's for the store making their numbers last year? Not in our store, the management did not make those numbers on their own-they got rings and a bonus and we got the "weiner".

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#2 Jun 15, 2011
Did I read that right - your Store Manager handed out Lowe's rings to the ASM's during the morning huddle in front of the troops?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#3 Jun 15, 2011
yes, you read it right. It was not a good thing to do!!! It did not motivate the employees.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#4 Jun 15, 2011
Let's face it, nobody likes morning huddles and the forced "Lowe's Chant", but to add a ring ceremony for salaried managers on top of all that at 6AM when associates are more concerned with getting the store ready to open? I can't imagine that the hourly associates were too thrilled about this. I know if I was still an ASM and was presented like that, I would have been both mortified and embarrassed.

My store manager always rewarded us behind a closed door in his office and individually thanked us while at the same time presenting our bonus checks while at the same time highly recommending that we don't discuss it, and certainly don't flaunt it on the floor.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#5 Jun 16, 2011
Extremely poor form. Obviously this fool is completely out of touch with his team, as well as socially inept. I would NEVER have done that. My morning meetings are my opportunity to recognize and celebrate my STORE'S success.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#6 Jun 17, 2011
Nessun Dorma wrote:
Extremely poor form. Obviously this fool is completely out of touch with his team, as well as socially inept. I would NEVER have done that. My morning meetings are my opportunity to recognize and celebrate my STORE'S success.
I guess my question in this whole thing is "Where's the HR?". Being that it was early in the morning, I suspect the HR may not have been there, but it's my hope that when the HR got wind of it, they had a quiet sit-down with the SM behind closed doors, and explained the negative connotations of that.
GardenSpecialist

Orlando, FL

#7 Jun 17, 2011
itsallgoodtoday wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess my question in this whole thing is "Where's the HR?". Being that it was early in the morning, I suspect the HR may not have been there, but it's my hope that when the HR got wind of it, they had a quiet sit-down with the SM behind closed doors, and explained the negative connotations of that.
Only if one has a competent HR! Not too many stores do...Just sayin!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#8 Jun 17, 2011
GardenSpecialist wrote:
<quoted text>Only if one has a competent HR! Not too many stores do...Just sayin!
I absolutely see your point! I was spoiled because I had an HR who wasn't afraid to tell the SM when they were doing wrong.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#9 Jun 17, 2011
The HR person received an award with the rest of the managers at the same meeting.
TEAM-Together Each Achieves More---Not at Lowes.
ranger raymond

United States

#10 Jun 17, 2011
tonyrodriquez wrote:
The HR person received an award with the rest of the managers at the same meeting.
TEAM-Together Each Achieves More---Not at Lowes.
Sir,
I agree with you that handing out the rings at the morning meeting is a pretty bad call because of the perception it creates. I also agree with you that those managers did not make those numbers on their own...it took the efforts of every person in your building, every person! There is not a single position that can stand alone in a store to make it successful, each is dependent on the next to survive. Every person needs to carry their part of the load. However, some positions carry more responsibility and with that comes an increased level of compensation, the rings being part of that compensation. That being said, there should also be an increased level of accountability for those positions as well.

I am sorry to read what you said about TEAM at the closing of your comments, because in my opinion, nothing could be further from the truth! I have had the privilege of being a store manager for about 10 years...in that time I have had good years and bad. I can say without hesitation, that the success I have had and the reason I have been able to keep my job is because I work for the best team of employees any store could ask for!!! We win and struggle as a team and no one person or group of employees are bigger than the whole.

Lastly, don't judge the group because of the action(s) of one person. Things will improve for you, focus on what your job is and what you can control, the rest will work itself out!

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#11 Jun 18, 2011
Sir-I think Teamwork is touted in most organizations and the bonus and compensation of most organizations is out of wack. Not a problem with bonuses but have a problem with the size. Companies say they cannot keep jobs in America because it is too costly but yet they draw millions of dollars in salaries and bonuses. The America worker is making around $8-10 an hour at Lowes and other places and if lucky they get 2-3% raise per year. The GM, President, BOD, SM gets a better salary because of their responsibilities-not a problem. But when the SM allegedly get 3/4 of his salary as bonus and the employees get zilch-that is where my rub is. If we truly believe in Teamwork, we will share the rewards more equitably. Otherwise it destroys the Teamwork-it pits hourly against managers, hourlys do not see a TEAM approach at that point..

I know, we get SSEI bonus-possibly $300 for CSA and $1200 for dept managers etc. Dept managers get 4 times what a CSA gets-cmon-really.

Lastly, we did not receive a Christmas gift this year but we can give bonuses of 75% of someone's salary.

There is more to teamwork than words on a page and rhetoric-it is demonstrated in every policy, procedure, and activity of the company.

We need teamwork-and there are some places where there is more teamwork, management needs to be a model of teamwork--not just Lowes, every company. IMO

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#12 Jun 18, 2011
I guess I'm in the middle of this debate. Store management has a very tough job considering how little autonomy they have in running their store as well as their take-home pay. Bonuses are well-deserved - but remember that they're not guaranteed.

At the same time, I think rings are excessive especially considering corporates concerns regarding keeping costs down, not to mention the message it sends within the store. Associates already know management gets a good bonus.

Tony, I respectfully disagree on the issue of teamwork. I believe that most managers are out there helping load, emptying trucks that are woefully loaded, and on and on and on...
LeadH20Wreck

Orlando, FL

#13 Jun 18, 2011
itsallgoodtoday wrote:
I guess I'm in the middle of this debate. Store management has a very tough job considering how little autonomy they have in running their store as well as their take-home pay. Bonuses are well-deserved - but remember that they're not guaranteed.
At the same time, I think rings are excessive especially considering corporates concerns regarding keeping costs down, not to mention the message it sends within the store. Associates already know management gets a good bonus.
Tony, I respectfully disagree on the issue of teamwork. I believe that most managers are out there helping load, emptying trucks that are woefully loaded, and on and on and on...
Please come to my store and see if you can even find an ASM who isn't in HIDING. You have to be joking...a manager helping LOAD! What a knee slapper. When Mr. Niblock takes home a 12 million dollar bonus and we couldn't receive our crappy $35.00 holiday bonus...well that speaks volumes to me. Enough said...

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#14 Jun 18, 2011
Hey Lead, I was trying to be diplomatic here, but I agree with you about the holiday bonus.

But since you brought it up, at my store it is expected that ASM's are ALWAYS helping load, empty freight trucks, and cashier, as well as customer service. When my sixty-something Store Manager is doing it, there's no way that I or any other of my brother and sister ASM's won't. That is not to say that's the case everywhere, because I know it's not. I guess I was just hoping it was...
In a perfect world

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Jun 18, 2011
That's the way it is in a lot of stores, I have moved a fair amount, and have been in 5 stores over a ten year period and they have all been Managed fairly well, some alittle better than others, but all in all well.

Leads comments of "crappy 35.00 holiday bonus" speaks volumes. Sorry your store is so bad, it obviously rubs off and is evident in most all your posts.
LeadH20Wreck

Orlando, FL

#16 Jun 18, 2011
In a perfect world wrote:
That's the way it is in a lot of stores, I have moved a fair amount, and have been in 5 stores over a ten year period and they have all been Managed fairly well, some alittle better than others, but all in all well.
Leads comments of "crappy 35.00 holiday bonus" speaks volumes. Sorry your store is so bad, it obviously rubs off and is evident in most all your posts.
Wow! You know me so well. NOT! Let's be real here...you are obviously brainwashed. Like I said...come to my store and tell me that any ASM works or the store manager..PULEEEZE!
LeadH20Wreck

Orlando, FL

#17 Jun 18, 2011
In a perfect world wrote:
That's the way it is in a lot of stores, I have moved a fair amount, and have been in 5 stores over a ten year period and they have all been Managed fairly well, some alittle better than others, but all in all well.
Leads comments of "crappy 35.00 holiday bonus" speaks volumes. Sorry your store is so bad, it obviously rubs off and is evident in most all your posts.
Oh I get it...you are the Bunker lover. Now everything makes sense about you.
ranger raymond

United States

#18 Jun 18, 2011
tonyrodriquez wrote:
Sir-I think Teamwork is touted in most organizations and the bonus and compensation of most organizations is out of wack. Not a problem with bonuses but have a problem with the size. Companies say they cannot keep jobs in America because it is too costly but yet they draw millions of dollars in salaries and bonuses. The America worker is making around $8-10 an hour at Lowes and other places and if lucky they get 2-3% raise per year. The GM, President, BOD, SM gets a better salary because of their responsibilities-not a problem. But when the SM allegedly get 3/4 of his salary as bonus and the employees get zilch-that is where my rub is. If we truly believe in Teamwork, we will share the rewards more equitably. Otherwise it destroys the Teamwork-it pits hourly against managers, hourlys do not see a TEAM approach at that point..

I know, we get SSEI bonus-possibly $300 for CSA and $1200 for dept managers etc. Dept managers get 4 times what a CSA gets-cmon-really.

Lastly, we did not receive a Christmas gift this year but we can give bonuses of 75% of someone's salary.

There is more to teamwork than words on a page and rhetoric-it is demonstrated in every policy, procedure, and activity of the company.

We need teamwork-and there are some places where there is more teamwork, management needs to be a model of teamwork--not just Lowes, every company. IMO
I used to think the same way you do, I started as a PT loader for $5.75 an hour and have held just about every position in a store. The bonus money is not guaranteed and but it is well earned I promise you. It seems like the problems you are experiencing may be systemic to your management staff. You have just as much of a chance to make that kind of compensation, why not get there, then you can build the type of team you need and set the examples that others can follow, I did, and I was far from a model employee at one time. It is up to you, best wishes, seriously.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#19 Jun 18, 2011
Ranger-the opportunities are not plentiful as there is not much movement. I have a Masters Degree, Management, Training, small business owner and Consulting experience---they want to hire young folks.

Teamwork is more than putting freight away, cashiering, getting carts etc,(SM is very good but ASM's not). If it is truly a team effort then the bonus money would be distributed equitably-(everyone gets the same % etc.) To not do that sends a message to the troops, and it is not a good message.

Imagine if Mr. Niblock got his big bonus in front of the SM meeting in Arizona and they received nothing. Would they feel it was fair?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#20 Jun 18, 2011
Tony, I'm not sure why you are so angry - most everybody agrees with you that the ring issue was borderline silly, but what can you do at this point?

You espouse teamwork which I absolutely agree with, but in your view of teamwork, when are the Managers supposed to get done the myriad of tasks that are heaped upon them by corporate, RVP's, and DM's, not to mention the time spent dealing with customers who will only speak to managers?

If I could tell you what we AREN'T allowed to do on the floor, it would floor you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SSM Training Program (Prep) 4 min CSA5 27
Region 7 Market 1363 scandal 15 min Pink panther 5
fort mill sc 2442 38 min lowes the other blue 2
Truth on layoffs- NO CRAP! 1 hr Dontdropthethunthuns 53
Impossible to navigate b/c of the pop up ads 1 hr banging 4
Corporate was at our store on 3rd shift! 3 hr Casual Observer 5
When are W-2s coming? 3 hr tzW 5
Store managers should be worried 7 hr GO BUCKS 121
More ASM's To Be Let Go February 2018 Tue Just me 123
More from around the web