Early Sunday Am meeting! What gives?

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Matrix

United States

#1 Aug 6, 2012
Early Sunday 6:00 am meeting for all employees. Does anyone have an idea whats going on. I figure its bmr5. All managers have to wear blue at all times I noticed. Is this happening in all locations.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#2 Aug 6, 2012
In Mass most stores are asking people to open up at 6am this sunday instead of 8am. But this is a sales tax free weekend.
wtf 1

Concord, CA

#3 Aug 6, 2012
Ours is 530 on the 26th. And per the boss. He says it's about the store and some other stuff. The boss suggests we bring some suggestions to the meeting
MDLow

Grandville, MI

#4 Aug 6, 2012
BMR5

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#5 Aug 7, 2012
wtf 1 wrote:
Ours is 530 on the 26th. And per the boss. He says it's about the store and some other stuff. The boss suggests we bring some suggestions to the meeting
Why bring suggestions to the meeting? They will fall on deaf ears. I wonder what cheer they will have this year,--last year "We are Lowes". Bunch of bunk, nothing more than imitating their upper management.
wtf 1

United States

#6 Aug 7, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>Why bring suggestions to the meeting? They will fall on deaf ears. I wonder what cheer they will have this year,--last year "We are Lowes". Bunch of bunk, nothing more than imitating their upper management.
true that. It will fall on dead ears but it will be interesting to see how others will bring something.
rules

Mooresville, NC

#7 Aug 9, 2012
If you ask, meeting is "highly suggested" not mandatory. Just a feel good don't ya kind of meeting. Um, it won't help.

Location hidden

#8 Aug 9, 2012
rules wrote:
If you ask, meeting is "highly suggested" not mandatory. Just a feel good don't ya kind of meeting. Um, it won't help.
This is a great group-they want change-LEF and whatever else. They have the meetings, the EOS, the results and a few more meetings and no change...wonder why that is? Because nothing changes-we get new buzz words, phrases ("We Are Lowes) and we tool along to the next year about this time and start the process over. If you want change you have to change...and some of the change is by management even though we know they are doing a superior job, great with customers, employees, always walking the floor. Too bad they don't absorb what the EOS says and listen to the skuttle butt on the floor. 90% of the problems are within Management control-not all their problem, but in their control (they hold the keys to the checkbook, policies, fair treatment of employees etc.)

When I was a manager I made it a point to send my employees a birthday card...to their house (I bought it). The employee told me that their spouse said-"I wish my supv would send me a card." One other day I brought a bag of apples and passed out to my employees on the floor-someone from another dept sais-"wish my boss would do that." Spend part of your bonus on your people. It doesn't take much to make a difference. Knowing Lowes they have a policy against this type of thing.
rules

Mooresville, NC

#9 Aug 10, 2012
Although that's nice, you are wasting your time. I don't want a birthday card or apples, just a raise when I deserve it and to be treated with respect. This is happening somewhat, and in this day and age it's all we can ask for and hope to get. I would never spend part of my bonus giving back to fellow employees, only giving back to the community that needs it, you are going overboard with that part of your speech.

Nope, won't break the bank in this job, but got pretty good benefits and when leaving the building we can leave this job behind...that...is PRICELESS.

Location hidden

#10 Aug 10, 2012
rules wrote:
Although that's nice, you are wasting your time. I don't want a birthday card or apples, just a raise when I deserve it and to be treated with respect. This is happening somewhat, and in this day and age it's all we can ask for and hope to get. I would never spend part of my bonus giving back to fellow employees, only giving back to the community that needs it, you are going overboard with that part of your speech.
Nope, won't break the bank in this job, but got pretty good benefits and when leaving the building we can leave this job behind...that...is PRICELESS.
I understand that...point-people want to feel appreciated with more than buzz words, new phrases and the constant mantra of change-the only people they want to change are the peons-management gets told on a yearly basis by the EOS etc what the employees want changed and all we get is more lingo and beat up on how we need to change. The best change will be at the top and it is 3-4" of gray matter in management's heads.
Bunkers Hole

Bluefield, VA

#11 Aug 10, 2012
Could be wrong, but I don’t think this meeting is anything more than an attempt to rally the troupes… what we really need is another highly researched cleverly named program that will move us all even further away from the basic concept of helping customers and selling products… but that’s what we’ll get, I’m afraid. Get ready for another shinny new hoop to jump through!
rules

Mooresville, NC

#12 Aug 10, 2012
Just want to get through a day without being called honey. Don't care if there is more lingo, whatever, it's a job, not my life, you are all way to serious about all this stuff on here, take a break, go have a beer.

Yep, this meeting is nothing more than to rally. boring. boring. boring.
zal front load

Angola, NY

#13 Aug 10, 2012
have not been to one of these meetings.....is everyone expected/demanded to be there? If your scheduled off do you get paid to be there? If this is just a pep-rally i want to opt out...that approach is shallow and not effective. I like rules approach....its only a job and this company doesn't care much about its people so lets not fall into the trap of caring more about them than they do about us.

Location hidden

#14 Aug 10, 2012
Bunkers Hole wrote:
Could be wrong, but I don’t think this meeting is anything more than an attempt to rally the troupes… what we really need is another highly researched cleverly named program that will move us all even further away from the basic concept of helping customers and selling products… but that’s what we’ll get, I’m afraid. Get ready for another shinny new hoop to jump through!
The last meeting the phrase shouted out by our SM and then each ASM was-"WE ARE LOWES". Really rallied the troups I can tell you that. The best part of the meeting were the coffee, rolls and OJ. They provide me with coffee and rolls once a year because I surely cannot afford it with the raise I get.
nascar

Bryan, TX

#15 Aug 11, 2012
rules wrote:
we have been told mandatory.
joe

Stockton, CA

#16 Aug 11, 2012
Matrix wrote:
Early Sunday 6:00 am meeting for all employees. Does anyone have an idea whats going on. I figure its bmr5. All managers have to wear blue at all times I noticed. Is this happening in all locations.
yes they just came back from la to sell us a program on aug 26 7.45 pm to 10.00 pm
awards, dinner , whats new and changes to come and to pump us up for sales for the hoilday season.
Really?

Edmond, OK

#17 Aug 12, 2012
They are doing it because it's almost time for the yearly survey. An outside source does it. They want to build moral so they don't look so bad.
zal front load

Angola, NY

#18 Aug 12, 2012
what happens if you don't show up....because i really do not want to go to a frivolous meeting at 6am on a summer sunday..(ours is labor day weekend). With no disrespect meant i wouldn't want to give up a summer day even if i loved the job let alone for a company that has taken away 25-30% of my earning potential and then cut my hours in half! I am a productive employee when im there but have no interest in going beyond that for a company that has so little regards for its people.
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#19 Aug 12, 2012
zal front load wrote:
what happens if you don't show up....because i really do not want to go to a frivolous meeting at 6am on a summer sunday..(ours is labor day weekend). With no disrespect meant i wouldn't want to give up a summer day even if i loved the job let alone for a company that has taken away 25-30% of my earning potential and then cut my hours in half! I am a productive employee when im there but have no interest in going beyond that for a company that has so little regards for its people.
If you don't show up when scheduled, it will be a no call no show or absence. It is mandatory for everyone not already scheduled for vacation. Showing up for a scheduled meeting is not going above and beyond. its simply showing up for your scheduled shift. That's about as basic as it gets. Cheer up.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#20 Aug 12, 2012
"If you don't show up when scheduled, it will be a no call no show or absence. It is mandatory for everyone not already scheduled for vacation. Showing up for a scheduled meeting is not going above and beyond. its simply showing up for your scheduled shift. That's about as basic as it gets. Cheer up."

If it was scheduled that's fine. If not fat chance since that would screw up the week. I'm assuming people actually clock in for this right? Otherwise if someone gets into an accident who would be at fault?

I'm sorry but mandatory meetings are pointless. Just type it out and email it or send it to a mailing address. It's like watching a weather report. Why watch 5 minutes of tv for something that takes you 30 seconds to read?

Besides where would the hours be cut later in the week to avoid OT? You cannot tell people to come in off clock unless they want lawsuits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
an hr manager at lowes....just say no!! (Apr '13) 2 hr charlie Chapman 66
Some CEO's get it when it comes to Perks 8 hr whydotheydothis 7
DUI's 8 hr Curious 1
HA ! Employee appreciation? Dec 19 charlie Chapman 5
Just when is the Vegas meeting (Feb '12) Dec 18 Former Manager 9
Cuba bound we go.... Dec 18 nedm 1
18 year Lowes employee stops theft, gets fired! (Oct '13) Dec 12 Wow 31
More from around the web