SOS Employee discount gone..What's your thought?

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
realist associate

Anniston, AL

#1 Jun 22, 2012
As Lowe's continues to move to a cross-channel business model with the ability to leverage inventory across our entire network, our current approach to Special Order Sales (SOS) will change. New technology will allow stores to more readily access product from nearby stores, or have products fulfilled from our regional distribution centers, eliminating the additional time and cost associated with placing special orders. This will allow us to offer more consistent and competitive pricing on items which were formerly sold as SOS products.

As a result, the 10% employee discount will be applied across all product purchases, regardless of whether the item is stock or SOS. This change will go into effect on August 21, 2012. We will also continue the Employee Appreciation Sale in December, offering all employees an extra 10% discount on all items.

If you have any questions about the employee discount program, please contact your HR Manager.
ShoGuy

Rock Hill, SC

#3 Jun 22, 2012
Well, honestly, its just another thing that they want to take from us. Just like spiffs and commissions, it just reiterates that Lowe's doesn't care whether employees are happy or not. LEF, my ass. Corporate mumbo jumbo to make you afraid to speak out or get promoted to customer. Grab your ankles.. there's more coming, you just wait until next year! Nibby needs his bonus.
DMxMD

United States

#4 Jun 22, 2012
Who cares. How many of you really took advantage of it? Most SOS, and especially ATG stuff was always too low margin for the discount anyway. The blanket 10% will actually help on most stuff people order. The only place it won't help is when employees head back to appliances and order some expensive appliance for 40% off with the SOS discount. It allowed employees to get higher end, higher margin product for the price of lower end models.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#5 Jun 22, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
Who cares. How many of you really took advantage of it? Most SOS, and especially ATG stuff was always too low margin for the discount anyway. The blanket 10% will actually help on most stuff people order. The only place it won't help is when employees head back to appliances and order some expensive appliance for 40% off with the SOS discount. It allowed employees to get higher end, higher margin product for the price of lower end models.
I care! I used it! I redid my 1st house. I was going to redo my master bathroom. Now, I'm going to look elsewhere for my products. I would never think of doing that before because of our great employee discount...... Guess what, I'll shop competitors now.
SayWhat

Kokomo, IN

#6 Jun 22, 2012
Well I guess I will start shopping somewhere else. I just cut up my discount card because it's pointless to even have it. It just amazes me that people off the street and contractors can buy stuff next to nothing and to take away the only perk in my opinion makes us pay more than them. Not saying I should get stuff for free, but how much more can you squeeze from that turnip Lowe's? Our prices are not competitive, our margins are ridiculously high, and JC Penny even announced that their attempts at a new low price mArket strategy did not work and they are going back to having sales. I guess they have to do something since that stock price surely is not going anywhere. No wonder the former leaders have all abandoned ship.
Peter Cottontail

Charlotte, NC

#7 Jun 22, 2012
Who cares Gary, who cares!
Captain_Morgan02

Matthews, NC

#8 Jun 23, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
And carpet, plumbing fixtures, etc. It still sucks.
Ben Martin

Albany, GA

#9 Jun 23, 2012
Furby

Mooresville, NC

#10 Jun 23, 2012
As with every corporate initiative they are trying to spin it like the employees will actually be better off. Politicians and corporate execs are cut from the same mold, the only thing that matters to them is making things better for themselves while trying to come across like they actually care.

I would have more respect for corporate execs that simply came out and said, "We view our employees as a necessary expense and really don't care about them. We would rather they all work part time and pay them minimum wage. We are in the business to make money and THAT is the only thing that matters to us."
Bird

Dayton, OH

#11 Jun 23, 2012
I didn't use it a whole lot, but it did help me save money on more expensive purchases. Like a water heater, a good toilet etc. Why not offer this to employees? They can spin it any way they want, but to me, it is just another move to try to get long term employees to split. For instance, I saved over one hundred dollars on the water heater I bought, much more than the thirty something dollars the new discount would have given. It did help on larger purchases, the ones that DMxMD speak of being low margin are small products that you really don't need much savings on anyways. I mean, I could care less if I save five bucks now instead of three on a lawnmower part. It is clearly a move to screw the employees even more. They want us to leave, it is clear.

First, they take away commissions, then, they low ball raises to the point of being less than or near 1% for many long term, valuable employees, now, they are taking away another great incentive that can save employees money on large purchases. The writing on the wall is easy to see.

Location hidden

#12 Jun 23, 2012
Bird wrote:
I didn't use it a whole lot, but it did help me save money on more expensive purchases. Like a water heater, a good toilet etc. Why not offer this to employees? They can spin it any way they want, but to me, it is just another move to try to get long term employees to split. For instance, I saved over one hundred dollars on the water heater I bought, much more than the thirty something dollars the new discount would have given. It did help on larger purchases, the ones that DMxMD speak of being low margin are small products that you really don't need much savings on anyways. I mean, I could care less if I save five bucks now instead of three on a lawnmower part. It is clearly a move to screw the employees even more. They want us to leave, it is clear.
First, they take away commissions, then, they low ball raises to the point of being less than or near 1% for many long term, valuable employees, now, they are taking away another great incentive that can save employees money on large purchases. The writing on the wall is easy to see.
And people may less big purchases because of it further hurting Lowes...shooting themselves in the foot again. It will be a proverbial spiral down. They don't get it....
dontgiveadamn

Mooresville, NC

#13 Jun 23, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
And people may less big purchases because of it further hurting Lowes...shooting themselves in the foot again. It will be a proverbial spiral down. They don't get it....
they get it, they just don't give a damn about about employees. it's all about "me" i'd bet that niblock couldn't care less about anyone @ a store level or anyone else for that matter. soon it will all be gone. discounts will be gone, stock plan gone, 401k match are you kidding that'll go too. soon we'll all be nedm's. a bunch of ex-employees living out our pathetic little lives discussing what could would of and should of have been. if only lowes didn't kick our asses out.
Captain_Morgan02

Matthews, NC

#14 Jun 23, 2012
dontgiveadamn wrote:
<quoted text>they get it, they just don't give a damn about about employees. it's all about "me" i'd bet that niblock couldn't care less about anyone @ a store level or anyone else for that matter. soon it will all be gone. discounts will be gone, stock plan gone, 401k match are you kidding that'll go too. soon we'll all be nedm's. a bunch of ex-employees living out our pathetic little lives discussing what could would of and should of have been. if only lowes didn't kick our asses out.
I met Niblock once. He said "hi, how are ya". That was it. He did seem to have an air of arrogance about him but he didn't seem like a total ass. Then again I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.
SouthStrMgr

Shelby, NC

#15 Jun 24, 2012
realist associate wrote:
As Lowe's continues to move to a cross-channel business model with the ability to leverage inventory across our entire network, our current approach to Special Order Sales (SOS) will change. New technology will allow stores to more readily access product from nearby stores, or have products fulfilled from our regional distribution centers, eliminating the additional time and cost associated with placing special orders. This will allow us to offer more consistent and competitive pricing on items which were formerly sold as SOS products.
As a result, the 10% employee discount will be applied across all product purchases, regardless of whether the item is stock or SOS. This change will go into effect on August 21, 2012. We will also continue the Employee Appreciation Sale in December, offering all employees an extra 10% discount on all items.
If you have any questions about the employee discount program, please contact your HR Manager.
Very soon, there will be no "stock" sales, "WEX", or "SOS" categories, it Willie either "Lowes sourced" or "Vendor sourced" based on which can get it to the customer the fastest. Our sales forecast system should change about that time as well.

Location hidden

#16 Jun 24, 2012
SouthStrMgr wrote:
<quoted text>
Very soon, there will be no "stock" sales, "WEX", or "SOS" categories, it Willie either "Lowes sourced" or "Vendor sourced" based on which can get it to the customer the fastest. Our sales forecast system should change about that time as well.
I had a customer recently who wanted a big upright safe (WEX item). He needed it that day-leaving town and wanted something for his guns and valuables. We had one on display but the MOD wouldn't sell it because of it being a WEX item. Stupidity in full bloom--WEX and SOS won't cut it...some folks do not want to wait for it come UPS or whatever. Lowes is in their own world when they think taking inventory off the floor will increase sales.

If they want to save money-1) get rid of j-hooks with product anywhere in the store-lots of time wasted looking for product that can be anywhere in the store, 2) do a better job of manning the store-some days there is real shortage and other days you are falling over each other-blame Kronos right-wrong, someone isn't checking over the final schedule, 3) Assign locations for equipment like ladders, star wars etc.-lots of time walking around looking for equipment that is in some aisle left by an employee, 4) get better descriptions on products for the labels-some descriptions are so vague and off you cannot figure out what it is-lots of time wasted running around looking for product.(some office employee is writing descriptions without a clue on if it is accurate or descriptive enough. All they care about is they have written a description and entered into the computer-task done.

Want more ideas, hold many employee small group sessions asking for their input and what frustrates them in terms of poor processes etc. They know more than any manager sitting in a office somewhere.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#17 Jun 24, 2012
Pedro I'm not sure if this is it for wex but for sos sometimes it is not the company that owns the displays. displays can be argued to be used and thus they want a discount. I've even seen non working displays stolen..maybe for a scrap market.

I hear you about the jhooks, that stuff is pointless. Ladders where I was eventually was just put in the isle..they used to use the generator cage but it was stupid as they would be damaged.#4 they are working on

Location hidden

#18 Jun 24, 2012
nedm wrote:
Pedro I'm not sure if this is it for wex but for sos sometimes it is not the company that owns the displays. displays can be argued to be used and thus they want a discount. I've even seen non working displays stolen..maybe for a scrap market.
I hear you about the jhooks, that stuff is pointless. Ladders where I was eventually was just put in the isle..they used to use the generator cage but it was stupid as they would be damaged.#4 they are working on
Nedm-the safe display had been a display that we could sell but has been changed in the past 6 months. Some displays are non-working but everything should be salable...if the customer wants it. Many don't want to wait for 3-7 days.

They could save money if the corporate boys and girls would take less of a salary and bonus...oh, that's right, they are having tough time feeding their families
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#19 Jun 24, 2012
pedro it could be worse. One store in my state apparently a kid locked herself in the safe! She had a cellphone and called. When we used to have them it was a huge liability to keep it open.

I really wish people wouldn't bring kids into box store.
OhNoHeDidnt

Lakewood, OH

#20 Jun 24, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
2) do a better job of manning the store-some days there is real shortage and other days you are falling over each other-blame Kronos right-wrong, someone isn't checking over the final schedule

Want more ideas, hold many employee small group sessions asking for their input and what frustrates them in terms of poor processes etc. They know more than any manager sitting in a office somewhere.
To the first point I highlighted, there are a few factors in scheduling. First, your SM should be reviewing and adjusting weekly. Second, can you predict the future? Do you know exactly on any given day how many hours need to be scheduled to adequately cover the store? There was a festival 2 weekends ago in town and we had less customers than a normal Sat. Last weekend, no festival, and even less customers. Could we have predicted that for a Sat? Probably not.

As far as the employee ideas...they do. It's called Town Hall Meetings. They have them all the time across the country. We just had one in our area for the Front End. There are people listening on Connections and taking advice and opinions from those of us in the trenches. Action is not an overnight phenomena.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#21 Jun 24, 2012
" Second, can you predict the future? Do you know exactly on any given day how many hours need to be scheduled to adequately cover the store? There was a festival 2 weekends ago in town and we had less customers than a normal Sat. Last weekend, no festival, and even less customers. Could we have predicted that for a Sat? Probably not."

Actually sales are predicted pretty well by the company on a department and sales assortment level. Now if there were festivals back then they should have planned it. Microholidays are something that should be planned on a smaller level. For example the Indy 500 slows traffic dramatically. You can't even make a delivery that week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lowes Management receives rings (Jun '11) 5 hr Three-Sixty 89
employee marriage Mar 22 no u can 6
PSA Department Manager Downgraded Mar 21 lame lonely lil man 15
Lowes dress code update (Jun '14) Mar 16 YO YO YO 20
I hate working at Lowe's!!!! (Feb '13) Mar 11 lowes 69
Meetings with union rep after hours? (Sep '14) Mar 11 lbt 30
Harassment, bullying & management cover up (Jul '13) Mar 9 Unhappy 44
More from around the web