Toxic Product Suits against Lowe's and Others

Oct 10, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CisionWire

Failure to inform the public about the presence of toxic chemicals such as lead and DEHP in their products landed Lowe's Companies Inc., Atlantic Hosiery & Apparel Inc., and Valley Industries Corp.

Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Dec 10, 2012
what the

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

its a sad day when lowes tells there employees what they can do in thier personal cars on there unpaid lunch .we were sent a email tellinn us about the new smoking po[icy at lowes 2507 and that we would be fired if we smoked in our car on our lunch break and even if we shoped on our day off and was smoking in our cars on thier lot .so were are we living? this can"nt be the good old usa

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Judged:

what the wrote:
its a sad day when lowes tells there employees what they can do in thier personal cars on there unpaid lunch .we were sent a email tellinn us about the new smoking po[icy at lowes 2507 and that we would be fired if we smoked in our car on our lunch break and even if we shoped on our day off and was smoking in our cars on thier lot .so were are we living? this can"nt be the good old usa
When I worked at Lowes you weren't allowed to park in the Lowes parking lot. You had to park in the grocery store lot next door. The grocery store people did the same thing. Too funny. Drive your car a few feet off Lowes property and commit suicide by smoking. Easy! You're welcome.
captain_morgan02

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Is it just me or does California think pretty much everything causes cancer?
Johnny q

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2012

In the state of Georgia your car is an extension of your home and even if it is on lowes property they can't tell you what to do in your car. I have a permit to carry a gun and on my day off I do go into lowes with it. I wish they would fire me they would get the shit sued out of them.
artimos

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Judged:

Johnny q wrote:
In the state of Georgia your car is an extension of your home and even if it is on lowes property they can't tell you what to do in your car. I have a permit to carry a gun and on my day off I do go into lowes with it. I wish they would fire me they would get the shit sued out of them.
Your wrong, just because it is legal, doesn't mean you can do it on Lowes property. It is a part of the policies that you signed that you would abide by. Day off or not.
Blind Cutter

Vancouver, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Judged:

So does that mean that Lowe's Parking Lot is a NO SMOKING PARKING LOT? If so they should tell their customers and remove the ash trays that are lined-up by the doors. As they stated, they are worried about our health and directed smoking employees to the Life Track Quit Program. The customers stand by the door and smoke-away before they come in. And you know how dangerous second hand smoke can be. I'm sure I'm missing something???
nedm

Pembroke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

"Your wrong, just because it is legal, doesn't mean you can do it on Lowes property."

True kinda sorta. It can be legal but that doesn't mean lowes can't fire you. You don't have to break a law to get fired. The same can go with guns. Vermont has hardly any gun laws but if you came in packing a piece I'm sure the sm would fire you on the spot.
Johnny q

Wayzata, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

artimos wrote:
<quoted text>
Your wrong, just because it is legal, doesn't mean you can do it on Lowes property. It is a part of the policies that you signed that you would abide by. Day off or not.
not in georgia
Johnny q

Wayzata, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Judged:

They can fire me for any reason but they have to pay unemployment.
captain_morgan02

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Judged:

artimos wrote:
<quoted text>Your wrong, just because it is legal, doesn't mean you can do it on Lowes property. It is a part of the policies that you signed that you would abide by. Day off or not.
If you aren't on the clock at all that day they have nothing to say about it unless they have a sign clearly posted that says they do not allow guns on the premises. They don't that I've seen so I will carry if I damn we'll please.
agree with the policy

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

Judged:

SPOT ON. Lowe's can fire you for breaking the policy, whether you like it or not. Of course if you are not on the clock "all day" that is completely different, but if you are on the schedule a rule is a rule. No one likes the rules and now teach thier kids it's "cool" to break the rules. Get over it folks and put your stupid cigarette out and go for a drive if you are that addicted. Really? Do you all have nothing better to do than bitch about this stupid shit?

Since: Jun 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

what the wrote:
. this policy has been effect for a long time. In part, this is done to coinside with Lowe's health program to stop smoking. I'm a non-smoker due to not being able to breathe in areas where the odor of cigarette smoke lingers. I'm glad that when I go to my vehicle that I don't have to smell cigarette smoke. Also, when Lowes "enforces" this policy it is due in part to state and local statutes that are in effect. Recently, at our stores, there is new signage notifying customers that smoking is not allowed within 15 feet of the doors. This is due to a new state law that prohibits smoking within so many feet of a public building. Lowe s is a public building and must comply with the state law. Non-Smoking rules, policies, and laws are part of the good ole USA, adapt or be left behind...
nedm

Pembroke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

Judged:

Lowes is not a public building. In order for it to be for the general public it would have to be pretty much owned by the public (i.e. town hall, library etc)

If we were to go back in time long ago segregation was a law in some states. But eventually businesses found out it was stupid to prevent people from shopping at their stores. Not all businesses obeyed the laws.

In Mass we have a many towns and cities that have smoking bans for businesses but that is mostly due to safety or because it serves food. However, there are still a fair amount of cigar bars and other places with hookah bars in which they can smoke. Those are open to the public as well as you only have to be 18 to smoke.

There's a difference between being a public building and having a building that open to the public.
imaddicted

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Judged:

agree with the policy wrote:
SPOT ON. Lowe's can fire you for breaking the policy, whether you like it or not. Of course if you are not on the clock "all day" that is completely different, but if you are on the schedule a rule is a rule. No one likes the rules and now teach thier kids it's "cool" to break the rules. Get over it folks and put your stupid cigarette out and go for a drive if you are that addicted. Really? Do you all have nothing better to do than bitch about this stupid shit?
well aren't you perfect in every way shape and form? let lowe's fire me for smoking, i'll have my lawyer ready.
Aborted Alvarez

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

imaddicted wrote:
<quoted text>
well aren't you perfect in every way shape and form? let lowe's fire me for smoking, i'll have my lawyer ready.
HAHAHA!!! Good luck with that
Chicken Claws

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Go smoke yourselves to death! It's a gross nasty habit. I don't want to smell your stinky breath at work.
Chunky

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

Judged:

Well, I guess if Lowe's is going to stop smokers from smoking to promote their health and wellness programs, then it's also about time that they remove the vending machines from the break rooms. Afterall, if they are going to promote health, they need to promote it from all angles. Being the size of a walrus is just as bad for your health as smoking a pack a day.
Think About It

Kingston, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Judged:

LOL Worried about smoking? Go to the flooring section and read some of the warnings on the bags of grout and thin sets. Then look at all the broken bags of that very fine, like talcum powder, cancer causing dust that travels to every square inch of the store via of the heating / ac duct work. Promote Health?
Smoke away

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Lawsuit? that's hysterical. Clueless. The smokers went out all day whenever they wanted and got away with it, sure glad that ended. I actually heard a new employee upset with the policy. Really? Do you need to smoke that much? Too funny.
Blowing A Camel Alvarez

Coplay, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Two old ladies were outside their nursing home, having a smoke when it started to rain. One of the ladies pulled out a condom, cut off the end, put it over her cigarette and continued smoking.

Lady 1: "What's that?"

Lady 2: "A condom. This way my cigarette doesn't get wet."

Lady 1: "Where did you get it?"

Lady 2: "You can get them at any drug store."

The next day, Lady 1 hobbles herself into the local drug store and announces to the pharmacist that she wants a box of condoms. The guy looks at her kind of strangely (she is, after all, over 80 years of age), but politely asks what brand she prefers.

Lady 1: "It doesn't matter as long as it fits a Camel."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you think lowes owes you more - read this. 4 hr l m assov 17
My store has 8 asm 4 hr l m assov 6
Vendor lookup 4 hr l m assov 8
Poor Training--Why? 4 hr l m assov 5
How do you become an asm 4 hr l m assov 5
44 cent raise. (Jan '14) Wed DML 2 5
Store 1198 Aug 18 1198guy 2

Search the Lowes Companies Forum:
•••