(Help!)Tell me how can it be done?

(Help!)Tell me how can it be done?

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

NewBee

Denton, TX

#1 Jul 29, 2012
How is it possible? To do all that is being ask of us in the allotted time.

Assist 4 customers an hour =[40]hrs wk (this based on fully assisting 4 customers an hour by IMPACT standards and then a full My Lowes , Credit options, EPP and try to get a PSE lead.

Stock freight =[12] hrs wk

Pull orders =[18] hr wk

Complete IRP and down stock =[6] hrs wk

Train=[1] hr wk

Meeting =[1.5] hr wk

Pull carts =[2.5] hrs wk

Price check=[2] hrs wk

Answering, other dept call buttons=[5] hrs wk

Cycle counts =[3] hrs wk

Zone=[10] hrs wk fully daily 8

Pulled to other depts=[5]hrs wk

Check Email and be involved in connections=[2] hrs wk

Get your breaks in=[5] hrs wk

Hours needed [239]
Total dept hrs [140](2 full time and 2 part time)

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#2 Jul 29, 2012
NewBee wrote:
Assist 4 customers an hour =[40]hrs wk (this based on fully assisting 4 customers an hour by IMPACT standards and then a full My Lowes , Credit options, EPP and try to get a PSE lead.
Pull orders =[18] hr wk
Train=[1] hr wk
Meeting =[1.5] hr wk
Pull carts =[2.5] hrs wk
Price check=[2] hrs wk
Cycle counts =[3] hrs wk
Hours needed [239]
Of course it can't. They assume they won't get 100% from an employee, so if they ask/require more the end result will be greater. 75% of 100 = 75. 75% of 150 = 112.5.

Since: Feb 12

United States

#3 Jul 29, 2012
NewBee wrote:

Pull orders =[18] hr wk

Train=[1] hr wk

Meeting =[1.5] hr wk

Pull carts =[2.5] hrs wk

Price check=[2] hrs wk

Cycle counts =[3] hrs wk

Hours needed [239]
It's truly maddening. I am assuming you are a department manager because of the meetings. I think department managers will go back to salary at some point (just my belief and not based in any rumor floating around).
NewBee

Denton, TX

#4 Jul 29, 2012
I guess that is good policy to deal with slackers.

But when you are a 99.99% 9take a break and lunch hr) employee it makes you feel like you are not capable of doing your job and is a real downer.

A proves the Peters laws wrong.
DMxMD

United States

#5 Jul 29, 2012
NewBee wrote:
Pull orders =[18] hr wk
Train=[1] hr wk
Meeting =[1.5] hr wk
Pull carts =[2.5] hrs wk
Price check=[2] hrs wk
Cycle counts =[3] hrs wk
Hours needed [239]
Why are you spending 12 hrs stocking? Don't you have a freight crew? 18hrs pulling orders? Holy crap. Something is wrong there. Cycle counts should take an hour tops and the price audit 30 minutes asuming you get interupted a couple times. 2.5 hrs of carts? I think that's quite the exaggeration. Everything else looks pretty close except why are breaks put in there? 30min a day is only 2.5hrs a week. Anyway, its not that hard once you get the hang if it. It just takes time management skills and knowing what things you can deligate.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#6 Jul 29, 2012
NewBee wrote:

Pull orders =[18] hr wk

Train=[1] hr wk

Meeting =[1.5] hr wk

Pull carts =[2.5] hrs wk

Price check=[2] hrs wk

Cycle counts =[3] hrs wk

Hours needed [239]
New Bee deep breath:)

You are doing a great job! Sounds like you are doing all you can to get it done. No 2 days are ever the same in line of work. Nature of business, I guess. DMxMD talks a good game on delegating but that only works if there are people in the depts. That's not always the case. He/She represents te worst in Lowe's new mgmt structure.

Our Dept Mgr is amazing! She works hard & is well respected. It is so refreshing to work with someone who can multitask. She can & does! I can go to her with questions & ideas that are always well received. I like the way her mind works as I can bounce an idea off of her & she will tweak it to be better or tell me I'm an idiot:) Lol! Ya know what I mean.

Keep the faith NewBee! You are working your keester off:)
SouthStrMgr

Rock Hill, SC

#7 Jul 29, 2012
NewBee wrote:
Pull orders =[18] hr wk
Train=[1] hr wk
Meeting =[1.5] hr wk
Pull carts =[2.5] hrs wk
Price check=[2] hrs wk
Cycle counts =[3] hrs wk
Hours needed [239]
What dept do you work in? Do you know what sales tier your store is? Some of the time allocations seem very high, & some a little low based on the dept.
Nochance

Toronto, Canada

#8 Jul 29, 2012
You can only do what you can do.

Don't get bent out of shape or have a nervous breakdown because of what they try to ask of you. Believe me, at the end of the day, there is no appreciation for what you have done. Your present manager might appreciate you, but once she goes, you could get a crappy manager who doesn't like you, treats you like shit and the way you have worked, your work ethic and dedication counts for absolutely nothing.

Believe me, that is the life of lowes!

Too many of us have between there, done that and bought the tee shirt.

It is not a company Worth busting your ass for, use it as a stepping stone on to somewhere else. As far as loyalty from the company to its employees, forget it, and don't waste your time giving them any loyalty.

Also, don't go overboard physically for them. I have seen too many people injure themselves and take years to recover, and the company doesn't give a rats ass. Don't fall into that trap.

I'm not being negative just telling you how it is.
NewBee

Denton, TX

#9 Jul 29, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you spending 12 hrs stocking? Don't you have a freight crew? 18hrs pulling orders? Holy crap. Something is wrong there. Cycle counts should take an hour tops and the price audit 30 minutes asuming you get interupted a couple times. 2.5 hrs of carts? I think that's quite the exaggeration. Everything else looks pretty close except why are breaks put in there? 30min a day is only 2.5hrs a week. Anyway, its not that hard once you get the hang if it. It just takes time management skills and knowing what things you can deligate.
stocking =4 hrs 3 days part time stocking crew
pulling orders =commercil sales no order puller
cycle counts =1hr per day if you half ass and pencil whip it
price audit = you are close, if you do not print and replace tags
carts =2.5 per person per shift
breaks = you must not work hard if you dont need a drink of water and a few minutes to rest your mind and body

i guess its been a while since you have had to acutally had to do anything
NewBee

Denton, TX

#10 Jul 29, 2012
I do belive that it can be done, but not until LEF is fully in effect.

Until we get the EMPOWERMENT to manage and are able to empower our teams and ASM and Store mangers stop changing the task and pulling the team members to other areas, they cannot accomplish thier task list it will be a cluster bump.

And as far as store managment is concerend ours is great asms and manager they just are not adjusting to, or not understanding the new LEF ways yet

when dept hrs are limited more than one person cannot manage the same alloted hrs or things cannot be finished it a timely manner
DMxMD

United States

#11 Jul 29, 2012
Sorry, I thought you ment the weekly cycle counts, not the daily IRP's. I totally need breaks. Everyone does. I just only take two 15's a day, which works out to 2.5 hrs/week. As for the price audit, my areas usually only catch one, maybe two a week. Some weeks none, but we have a great pricing coordinator. That time included replacing labels. Now for the wow factor. Seriously 2.5hrs a day of carts? I would fire our head cashiers. They need to be using the cashiers for a row of carts every single time their line gets to 0. You never run out that way unless you are an insanely busy store.
NewBee

Denton, TX

#12 Jul 29, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
Sorry, I thought you ment the weekly cycle counts, not the daily IRP's. I totally need breaks. Everyone does. I just only take two 15's a day, which works out to 2.5 hrs/week. As for the price audit, my areas usually only catch one, maybe two a week. Some weeks none, but we have a great pricing coordinator. That time included replacing labels. Now for the wow factor. Seriously 2.5hrs a day of carts? I would fire our head cashiers. They need to be using the cashiers for a row of carts every single time their line gets to 0. You never run out that way unless you are an insanely busy store.
Sorry, for the defensive attitude. it is 2.5hrs wk for me alone + each other dept employee.

IRPs if done right entails finding products that are cross merchendised with no locations and fully down stocking each it takes time you get stopped to assist customers many time when you are going half way across the store to retrive products.

Our cashiers rarely retrive carts they are required to stay within 10 ft of the registers.

We are very busy as listed in begging of post, due to LEF do more with less help and we are as I posted are not fully intergrated into the LEF model and have ASMs that are not fully understanding of the new SERVE model of letting us know what they would like and allowing us to make it happen they are still micro managing (too many cooks in the kitchen).

I like and enjoy the work I do I have been doing this for over 20 years and am working my way back up to store manager.

But like hearing other peoples concerns and sharing mine for self improvement and preparing for the position it is good to get a feel of what is troubling fellow team members (no walls, one business country wide.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#13 Jul 30, 2012
Think about it this way. If everything COULD get done then why would there be need for any form of management? The company knows not everything will be done. This could easily be solved by authorizing OT. I've met plenty that would work OT if it was given out.They cannot say for the place to be safe and then on the other to act like everything needs to be rushed.
Thatoneguy

Cape Girardeau, MO

#14 Jul 30, 2012
At all levels of the structure deal with customers and what is making you money first. I have personally skipped meetings and conference calls in order to assist customers and deal with customer issues without any negative response from my bosses. If your team cannot except that then they need to re evaluate themselves. I also consider irp and freight part of the customer service plan because it involves filling the shelves to sell product.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#15 Jul 30, 2012
"I have personally skipped meetings and conference calls in order to assist customers and deal with customer issues without any negative response from my bosses."

That's another thing. How much time is wasted on pointless meetings. Department manager meeting, asm meeting, "safety" meeting etc. Just type an email up. It always takes longer to listen to something then to read it. A weather report on tv lasts five minutes but it only takes 30 seconds to read.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#16 Jul 30, 2012
The meetings I have attended at Lowes have been mostly a waste of time. No agenda, no structure, no desired outcome--just people sitting around flapping their jaws.

Voice team is horrible--the meetings are just what I mentioned above-it appears the only thing they want is a paper trail that they had a meeting and they fluff it up so it looks like we did something.

Management doesn't know how to run a meeting and keep people on track. They need my Quality Circle Meeting training I did back in the 80's.
Thatoneguy

United States

#17 Jul 31, 2012
I have attended these meetings for many years and i have even gotten up and left during a few. Most people use this time to bring up employee issues that they witnessed and want someone to know about or react to when they at the time of witnessing the action failed to discuss it with the person at the time of the infraction. I will not deal with many issues after the fact, i am a firm believer in dealing with the issues at the time they become issues, not to get the person who is directly responsible for that person to discuss it with them 2 days after the fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lowes has finally got to me 1 hr Another Day 11
Shift Trading Made Easy! Jul 31 Chris from Coffee 1
an hr manager at lowes....just say no!! (Apr '13) Jul 26 lbglowessc 73
injured on the job Jul 26 Charles 2
Employee shoplifter Jul 23 lowes96 2
Hows that Sherwin Paint doing? Jul 22 Paint 2
Offered HR Manager Position - Questions about b... (Oct '12) Jul 21 lbglowessc 29
More from around the web