Home Depot crushes Lowe's in 4th Qtr ...

Home Depot crushes Lowe's in 4th Qtr 2012

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

LEF HELPS HOME DEPOT

Schnecksville, PA

#1 Feb 26, 2013
Home Depot's fiscal fourth-quarter net income surged 32 percent.

Comps +7.1%

LEF is working out great (for Home Depot).
LEF Has Failed

Kent, OH

#2 Feb 26, 2013
*10's of Millions to Apple for IPhones so we could accept payments in the aisle, Never Executed.

*Updated technology to give us a seamless IT system and shopping experience for our customers, Execution has Failed.

*Card readers were then installed at department kiosks to accept payments, Never Executed.

*Everyday Low Price Strategy, it failed for JC Penny, and it has failed for us.

*ATG; Simply put, a FLOP.

*We continue to have empty homes without product to sell the customer.

*We have shifted our main focus from selling products the customer wants and needs, to having our associates sell My Lowes Cards, Credit, and Leads.

I could continue but we all know the situation, Wall Street knows the situation. Bottom line, the board of directors needs to install new leadership.
good ole boy

Comstock Park, MI

#3 Feb 26, 2013
LEF Has Failed wrote:
*10's of Millions to Apple for IPhones so we could accept payments in the aisle, Never Executed.

*Updated technology to give us a seamless IT system and shopping experience for our customers, Execution has Failed.

*Card readers were then installed at department kiosks to accept payments, Never Executed.

*Everyday Low Price Strategy, it failed for JC Penny, and it has failed for us.

*ATG; Simply put, a FLOP.

*We continue to have empty homes without product to sell the customer.

*We have shifted our main focus from selling products the customer wants and needs, to having our associates sell My Lowes Cards, Credit, and Leads.

I could continue but we all know the situation, Wall Street knows the situation. Bottom line, the board of directors needs to install new leadership.
When you look at it that way, correct on all accounts. Card reader basically covered up. iPhones work sporadically.
ATG overpriced product.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4 Feb 26, 2013
LEF HELPS HOME DEPOT wrote:
Home Depot's fiscal fourth-quarter net income surged 32 percent.
Comps +7.1%
LEF is working out great (for Home Depot).
(HD) fiscal fourth-quarter earnings climbed 32% on a surge in sales, with the housing recovery and rebuilding from Hurricane Sandy propelling it to outstrip smaller rival Lowe's Cos.(LOW) by the widest margin yet.
The country's biggest home-improvement retailer also unveiled a suite of impressive shareholder returns, but unexpectedly weak predictions for the new year undercut an otherwise superlative report.
Shares recently were up 1.5% at $64.90 premarket. As investors flock to equities poised to benefit from the housing recovery, Home Depot's stock has surged, last month hitting a 13-year high.
Sales at the Home Depot's do-it-yourself warehouses open longer than a year jumped 7%, the highest such turnout since 2004.
It also marked yet another quarter outperforming Lowe's, which reported a 1.9% increase in same-store sales Monday. The differential between their figures is the widest since Home Depot began outstripping Lowe's in 2009.

They also said this years sales may be a little weak but they will still out do the Lowes team in NC! Great work there Bob!
NIBLOCK BLAMES ECONOMY

Schnecksville, PA

#5 Feb 26, 2013
"Also, Niblock said that Lowe's has found people are putting off home improvement projects because their income hasn't been growing, and they're reluctant to take out loans for renovations."

OR - They are shopping at other stores like Home Depot, Ace, Menards, etc.

Still doesn't explain how HD just blew Lowe's out of the water.

But hey, Johnson won at Daytona, so everything is great, just great.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#6 Feb 26, 2013
NIBLOCK BLAMES ECONOMY wrote:
"Also, Niblock said that Lowe's has found people are putting off home improvement projects because their income hasn't been growing, and they're reluctant to take out loans for renovations."
OR - They are shopping at other stores like Home Depot, Ace, Menards, etc.
Still doesn't explain how HD just blew Lowe's out of the water.
But hey, Johnson won at Daytona, so everything is great, just great.
Bob hasen't looked in the mirror for years.
Johnson bonus

Mooresville, NC

#7 Feb 26, 2013
I'd like a cut of that please. Geez it's just a stupid car race.
Blubber mouth

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Feb 26, 2013
PlantMore Tomatos wrote:
<quoted text>
(HD) fiscal fourth-quarter earnings climbed 32% on a surge in sales, with the housing recovery and rebuilding from Hurricane Sandy propelling it to outstrip smaller rival Lowe's Cos.(LOW) by the widest margin yet.
The country's biggest home-improvement retailer also unveiled a suite of impressive shareholder returns, but unexpectedly weak predictions for the new year undercut an otherwise superlative report.
Shares recently were up 1.5% at $64.90 premarket. As investors flock to equities poised to benefit from the housing recovery, Home Depot's stock has surged, last month hitting a 13-year high.
Sales at the Home Depot's do-it-yourself warehouses open longer than a year jumped 7%, the highest such turnout since 2004.
It also marked yet another quarter outperforming Lowe's, which reported a 1.9% increase in same-store sales Monday. The differential between their figures is the widest since Home Depot began outstripping Lowe's in 2009.
They also said this years sales may be a little weak but they will still out do the Lowes team in NC! Great work there Bob!
So, in other words, Customers aren't flocking to Lowe's for everyday home improvement purchases, instead choosing and trusting Home Depot for their "needs". But, they are simply waiting for heavily discounted promotional products before they come into Lowe's to shop which = 1.9% same store sales increases yet, dismal profit declines of over 10% because of margin hits due to good sales mostly during promotional periods. Nibby can blame the economy all he wants, but, it is painfully obvious what is going on. When a customer or a "bargain hunter" is on the search for a deal, they go to Lowe's. When a regular every day "Joe" is on the hunt for a non-promotional product to simply improve their home or repair something broken in their home, and they want knowledgable and trustworthy associates who can point to in stock products and explain how to use and install them yourself, as well as get them everything they need to do the job right the first time, they are choosing Home Depot. Anyone on here can argue this point, but it is in plain black and white right now. People are choosing HD over Lowe's for their normal every day purchases, as well as any repair/renovation projects. Could it be the lack of staffing?, lack of knowledgable associates who have left for greener pastures?, terrible yet heavily relied upon and promoted computer systems that can't even manage to display the products we sell nor the dimensions etc?, terrible lack of in stock product?..... I think it is a combination of all. Whatever it is, we are losing badly... very badly.
Think About It

Hazleton, PA

#9 Feb 27, 2013
LEF Has Failed wrote:
*10's of Millions to Apple for IPhones so we could accept payments in the aisle, Never Executed.
*Updated technology to give us a seamless IT system and shopping experience for our customers, Execution has Failed.
*Card readers were then installed at department kiosks to accept payments, Never Executed.
*Everyday Low Price Strategy, it failed for JC Penny, and it has failed for us.
*ATG; Simply put, a FLOP.
*We continue to have empty homes without product to sell the customer.
*We have shifted our main focus from selling products the customer wants and needs, to having our associates sell My Lowes Cards, Credit, and Leads.
I could continue but we all know the situation, Wall Street knows the situation. Bottom line, the board of directors needs to install new leadership.
Sounds like Corporate is playing a good old fashion game of "Pin The Tail On The Donkey" on maybe this will work.
BigHead

Bluefield, VA

#10 Feb 27, 2013
We all know that there are issues challenging Lowe’s. Sadly, these issues are nothing new and will not change under the current leadership team. Corporate really wants to turn the ship around, and they’ve invested millions to do that… but they have no idea what to do, and when they do make a move it is laughingly misguided. The corporate lights are on, but they are burning very, very, very, very dimly.

Every “new” program, policy, procedure that Lowe’s launches moves stores away from the basics: products, staffing, sales!

How about this new program: Products – Installs – Staffing- Sales…“PISS”.

“all in” Mr. Nib,“all in”!!!!
SimplyPut

Kent, OH

#11 Feb 28, 2013
"The motor is running, but there's no one behind the wheel"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
being a service manager worth it? 19 min Goodbye Lowes 8
Amazon looking into buying Lowes 1 hr NibbyCronies 19
Manager meetings 1 hr Oobie Doobie 2
service Manager rotation 2 hr Oobie Doobie 6
Rough Draft of the schedule 3 hr Low3232 7
POS score and receipt survey 5 hr Look Out Ice Hole 4
Best work shoes for concrete floors & Lowes 7 hr FSA 9
Store managers should be worried 11 hr Guest 72
CSA 5 Extension Sat Oobie Doobie 134
Pros and Specialist are next. Fri abc 79
More from around the web