nedm

Pembroke, MA

#1 Aug 11, 2012
Just as it was assumed it looks like payment devices for credit cards are being installed on departments on the selling floor (at least where I am). So if you sell sos or a install you can check them out without having them wait for a cashier. I'm assuming this will free up some time for the cashiers.
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#2 Aug 11, 2012
nedm wrote:
Just as it was assumed it looks like payment devices for credit cards are being installed on departments on the selling floor (at least where I am). So if you sell sos or a install you can check them out without having them wait for a cashier. I'm assuming this will free up some time for the cashiers.
Common knowledge. They have already rolled out to half the stores. They sent a company wide email detailing exactly when each store would have them installed. It's part of BMR 5.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#3 Aug 11, 2012
eh. I don't go in every week. There just isn't that much to buy after awhile. They weren't hooked up yet but it's a process.

Then again why do some stoers have self checkout and some don't?
DMxMD

Kansas City, MO

#4 Aug 11, 2012
Self checkouts are based on a cost benefit ratio that depends on the individual store. Certain things have to be taken into account. They look first at your shrink class (1-6). If its too high, they won't put them in. Then its a matter of average starting wage for cashiers that could be saved vs. the expected shrink or loss. They also look at basket size, or the average purchase size for a customer. If its a store that has more customers that make small purchases, they're more likely to put in a self checkout than a store that has fewer big tickets.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#5 Aug 12, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
Self checkouts are based on a cost benefit ratio that depends on the individual store. Certain things have to be taken into account. They look first at your shrink class (1-6). If its too high, they won't put them in. Then its a matter of average starting wage for cashiers that could be saved vs. the expected shrink or loss. They also look at basket size, or the average purchase size for a customer. If its a store that has more customers that make small purchases, they're more likely to put in a self checkout than a store that has fewer big tickets.
Your comment that if a store's shrink class is too high that self-checkouts will not be installed in those stores is NOT correct. My store has been a class 6 store for as long as I can remember (and still is). We had self-checkouts installed when Lowe's first rolled them out years ago. We still have them ... and we still are getting stolen blind at self-checkouts. The SM and LP's hate 'em, have tried to get them removed, but corporate won't permit it.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#6 Aug 12, 2012
Six...holy #%^$ the highest near me I think is a 4. Do you have that camera track ball thing as well ?
The usual store here is a 2 or a 3.

I'm sure there is a cost benefit ratio but I have seen it put into a store that is outright dead and has long rumored to be the next to close.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#7 Aug 12, 2012
nedm wrote:
Six...holy #%^$ the highest near me I think is a 4. Do you have that camera track ball thing as well ?
The usual store here is a 2 or a 3.
I'm sure there is a cost benefit ratio but I have seen it put into a store that is outright dead and has long rumored to be the next to close.
Yep, a class 6 and as I understand it there are not that many class 6 stores among the 1700+ stores in the entire Lowe's system. Maybe an LP can chime in and let everyone know what the ratio or percentage is among the classes of stores in the Lowe's system. And yes, we do have the little silver tracking ball thingee in our store.
Captain_Morgan02

Lancaster, SC

#8 Aug 12, 2012
nedm wrote:
Had this at the North Lake store when I was there. It was pretty cool except they didnt think far enough ahead to also put the cash register keyboard with it so we still had to send customers up front if cards wouldn't read or for temp cards. Maybe they have fixed that part by now.
cult of personality

United States

#9 Aug 13, 2012
Reap the whirlwind

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hate working at Lowe's!!!! (Feb '13) Wed nedm 66
best and safest position in lowes (Jan '13) Wed charlie Chapman 29
More from the mindless millennials Nov 21 mooresville28117 23
Lowes is now #1 Nov 18 nedm 1
Home Depot vs Lowe's Robot Commercial Nov 18 share this video 8
coordinator Nov 17 nedm 31
Lowes to use robots to replace employees - WSJ Nov 13 nedm 16

Lowes Companies People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE