Retail workers on strike!
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#1 Oct 6, 2012
http://www.cnbc.com/id/49302978

It was bound to happen..

It is spreading to warehouses as well
http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/13923/a...

When you think about it if the RDC's of lowes went on strike that pretty much shuts down most deliveries.
DMxMD

Greenwood, NE

#2 Oct 6, 2012
Standard procedure for union type activity in any Walmart store is to close it immediately, laying off everyone, including management as a punishment for letting it get that far, then re-opening under a new store number with a mass hire of all new employees. They would 100% rather sacrifice 12 stores sales in LA then have it spread or turn into a union. Those people probably just screwed themselves and all their co-workers. The truth is, in most cases, Walmart hires people into entry level positions that would otherwise be unemployed. The little Indian lady scooping my potato salad into the plastic container isn't really worth more than $8/hr. The reason Walmart can pay these people the rate that they do, is that no other company will hire them at all let alone pay them more. It's not so much walmarts problem as a social problem. Why are 2.3 million people in our national work force so lacking in skills that those $8/HR part time jobs are all they can get?

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#3 Oct 6, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
Standard procedure for union type activity in any Walmart store is to close it immediately, laying off everyone, including management as a punishment for letting it get that far, then re-opening under a new store number with a mass hire of all new employees. They would 100% rather sacrifice 12 stores sales in LA then have it spread or turn into a union. Those people probably just screwed themselves and all their co-workers. The truth is, in most cases, Walmart hires people into entry level positions that would otherwise be unemployed. The little Indian lady scooping my potato salad into the plastic container isn't really worth more than $8/hr. The reason Walmart can pay these people the rate that they do, is that no other company will hire them at all let alone pay them more. It's not so much walmarts problem as a social problem. Why are 2.3 million people in our national work force so lacking in skills that those $8/HR part time jobs are all they can get?
Once again I take issue with you. Your generalization is unfair. Maybe some of those folks that you are calling unskilled are only working at Walmart because jobs are scarce. It is unfair to all those people who are working at Walmart to group them all in the same group-unless you know each of their personal stories your statement is not factual-someday I hope you get unemployed so it will humble you a bit. It is easy to criticize when you on top of the pack....but it doesn't last. One of these days you will reach the golden age when no one wants you and you may be stuck working for $8-12/hour.
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#4 Oct 6, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again I take issue with you. Your generalization is unfair. Maybe some of those folks that you are calling unskilled are only working at Walmart because jobs are scarce. It is unfair to all those people who are working at Walmart to group them all in the same group-unless you know each of their personal stories your statement is not factual-someday I hope you get unemployed so it will humble you a bit. It is easy to criticize when you on top of the pack....but it doesn't last. One of these days you will reach the golden age when no one wants you and you may be stuck working for $8-12/hour.
Everything I said, I say as someone who worked their way up from the bottom at Walmart. I know very well who I was working with over the years, and people that were "under-employed" there typically promoted fairly quickly. We purposely hired people that had barriers to employment, elderly, unskilled, etc, not so we could pay them crappy, we had no say in pay, but because those people would stay longer, and generally be happier to be there and that they had a job. We could hire the college grad that was laid off from their $60k/yr job, but they would leave as soon as they found something better. We were helping people that would otherwise be unemployed or working at the corner gas station. At least there, they had a career ladder to climb if they worked hard. I don't think we were doing anyone a disservice. Walmart had some of the cheapest insurance I've ever seen too. Same policies for cashiers as regional VPs. It's all about perspective.
NewBee

Van Alstyne, TX

#5 Oct 6, 2012
Pedro Rodriquez wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! If born with fed with a silver spoon you have no clue.
But be assured we are all just # and that applies to all positions and your number could be up any time>

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#7 Oct 6, 2012
NewBee wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! If born with fed with a silver spoon you have no clue.
But be assured we are all just # and that applies to all positions and your number could be up any time>
It's just retail. Retail blows for the average worker. Crap pay, bad hours. My father was a Montgomery Wards store manager in the 50s. He describes exactly what's said on these boards. 60 years later, same stuff. You have to get a college degree, work for the feds, or start your own business. Margins are all that matter in retail. You have to squeeze everywhere you can to maintain them, or go belly up. Very competitive. Squeezing starts with payroll. It's instantly controllable and the results show up this week! Get out of retail or quit bitchin'. It's not changing during your time on this earth. Truth.
Spanish Mike Alvarez

Schnecksville, PA

#8 Oct 6, 2012
DMxMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything I said, I say as someone who worked their way up from the bottom at Walmart..
Hahahaha

I just knew this goober was a former Walmartian.

This explains it all.
zal front load

Angola, NY

#9 Oct 6, 2012
I just don't get why so many people hold Walmart up as the gold standard of retail. I mean they are no doubt the largest retailer in the world, but largest does not always equate to the best!

Location hidden

#10 Oct 7, 2012
zal front load wrote:
I just don't get why so many people hold Walmart up as the gold standard of retail. I mean they are no doubt the largest retailer in the world, but largest does not always equate to the best!
They might be the largest but how do they treat their vendors, customers, employees? They are not sweat shops like in 3rd world countries but, in America that is what I would call them. Hire part-timers, no benefits, goofy schedules (open 24 hours) etc.

I agree--I don't think they would of made Tom Peter's book, "In Search of Excellence". Hardly the gold standard but the standard all box stores try to emmulate.
DMxMD

Gardner, KS

#11 Oct 7, 2012
Spanish Mike Alvarez wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahaha
I just knew this goober was a former Walmartian.
This explains it all.
I'm not going to be offended by someone that's been banned by the other lowes board. Obviously you can't get along with anyone.

Location hidden

#12 Oct 7, 2012
exmanager wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just retail. Retail blows for the average worker. Crap pay, bad hours. My father was a Montgomery Wards store manager in the 50s. He describes exactly what's said on these boards. 60 years later, same stuff. You have to get a college degree, work for the feds, or start your own business. Margins are all that matter in retail. You have to squeeze everywhere you can to maintain them, or go belly up. Very competitive. Squeezing starts with payroll. It's instantly controllable and the results show up this week! Get out of retail or quit bitchin'. It's not changing during your time on this earth. Truth.
Starting your own business isn't what it all cracked up to be. Tough row to how.

They control the payroll but from the wrong end of the corporate structure. Poor sales=less payroll, less payroll=poor customer service=less sales=less payroll=poor customer service=less sales=less payroll=poor customer service=less sales=

Get the picture-downhill spiral until you go belly up only you really weren't unprofitable, just not making as much as you want and there is payroll you can cut, they just refuse to cut the payroll at the top.

This is happening everywhere in corporate America. Corporate greed.
nedm

Pembroke, MA

#13 Oct 7, 2012
"We could hire the college grad that was laid off from their $60k/yr job, but they would leave as soon as they found something better."

That might be true but you get a better quality by hiring them. Let's be honest here if you want low range workers and pay then that's the quality you are going to get.

"We purposely hired people that had barriers to employment, elderly, unskilled, etc, not so we could pay them crappy, we had no say in pay, but because those people would stay longer, and generally be happier to be there and that they had a job."

That can be true to a point but that is the same argument about using factories in China as fieldwork always pays less.At the same point that also is the same argument that slave owners said about not teaching them to read. Once they learned to read it opened up the world to them and thus it would end soon.

Eventually though treating people like the way how Foxxconn does results in not unionization but rather strikes if not riots. Meanwhile at a place like Nucor Steel it is union free and everyone is content..same with Costco.

Look at Walmart and look at Target. Google both and see who has the better reputation. Target practically requires a bachelors to be a department manager. Heck look at both stock prices over a 10 year period.If it was so taxing why is Target outperforming them?

The best way to prevent unions and walkouts is you give people higher pay and bennies. Costco found this out years ago. They have some of the highest pay rates in all of retail.

Can people move up in retail? Maybe. The trouble is with a lack of new stores promotions are harder to find. The company won't take a 15 million dollar store and turn it into a 80 million dollar one just for the heck of it. New openings only occur if someone retires, passes away, quits or gets fired. with the economy you see fewer that can retire and thus the employees get older and older.
Hard worker

Rochester, NY

#14 Oct 7, 2012
nedm wrote:
"We could hire the college grad that was laid off from their $60k/yr job, but they would leave as soon as they found something better."
That might be true but you get a better quality by hiring them. Let's be honest here if you want low range workers and pay then that's the quality you are going to get.
"We purposely hired people that had barriers to employment, elderly, unskilled, etc, not so we could pay them crappy, we had no say in pay, but because those people would stay longer, and generally be happier to be there and that they had a job."
That can be true to a point but that is the same argument about using factories in China as fieldwork always pays less.At the same point that also is the same argument that slave owners said about not teaching them to read. Once they learned to read it opened up the world to them and thus it would end soon.
Eventually though treating people like the way how Foxxconn does results in not unionization but rather strikes if not riots. Meanwhile at a place like Nucor Steel it is union free and everyone is content..same with Costco.
Look at Walmart and look at Target. Google both and see who has the better reputation. Target practically requires a bachelors to be a department manager. Heck look at both stock prices over a 10 year period.If it was so taxing why is Target outperforming them?
The best way to prevent unions and walkouts is you give people higher pay and bennies. Costco found this out years ago. They have some of the highest pay rates in all of retail.
Can people move up in retail? Maybe. The trouble is with a lack of new stores promotions are harder to find. The company won't take a 15 million dollar store and turn it into a 80 million dollar one just for the heck of it. New openings only occur if someone retires, passes away, quits or gets fired. with the economy you see fewer that can retire and thus the employees get older and older.
Old saying : You pay peanuts you get monkeys !
Cuban Mike Alvarez

Mooresville, NC

#15 Oct 7, 2012
Hard worker wrote:
<quoted text> Old saying : You pay peanuts you get monkeys !
Did you say nedm feeds his monkey or spanks his monkey? Maybe you meant to say he spanks el choncho alvarez's monkey???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Another round of Corp layoffs in June? 8 min Former Dm 9
Weekday Team being phased out 4 hr Justwaitingtosue 10
This thread is for factual re-structure informa... 6 hr Greenbacks 2,263
Get Lazy to Get Happy 6 hr We Will NOT Carri... 9
Targeted 6 hr tired 12
male discrimination 6 hr Evolving 5
Niblock in Denial 9 hr Niblock 4
Heard a new rumor 9 hr ex store mgr 75
earnings down 282 million!!! 11 hr WhatStoreYouIn 15
sad times 16 hr Amarillowes 24