CAW distributes info leaflets to workers at Linamar after annou...

There are 8 comments on the The Winnipeg Free Press story from Sep 4, 2008, titled CAW distributes info leaflets to workers at Linamar after annou.... In it, The Winnipeg Free Press reports that:

Canadian Auto Workers union members distributed information leaflets to workers at all Linamar Corp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Winnipeg Free Press.

poor view from here

Alfred, Canada

#1 Sep 4, 2008
Canadians Wonder if they're Paying for another Ottawa Black Jacket for CAW Buzz via Tory Time

North America UAW United Auto Workers

Prime Minister Stephen Harper was accused Wednesday of the kind of "vote buying" his Conservative party has criticized the Liberals for, as he announced a multimillion-dollar loan to Ford in ...

http://www.topix.com/world/canada/2008/09/can...
laidoff linamar employee

Brantford, Canada

#2 Sep 5, 2008
Its one thing to lay off people but its another thing to hold meetings and tell people that they will be doing this fairly... and them you find out another employee who hasnt even done your job before or hasnt even been there as long as you is now doing your job.. and when you ask if the lay off list was done in house or by corp and you are told it was done in house.. and on top of it all they lay off your whole family knowing that this is unfair. Its Time we stick together and get the CAW in linamar enough is enough people its poorly and unfairly run! when you show up everyday do your job do the overtime and still your laid off!
Vicky 15 years

Québec, Canada

#3 Sep 19, 2008
I am a 15 year employee who has worked in Skyjack in multiple departments...Ive been layed off even though I have proformed the work that 5 year (Senority) employees are currently doing......NOT FAIR.....C.A.W is needed NOW!
glk

Midland, Canada

#4 Sep 19, 2008
if you don't like the way your company is being run, quit! Then start your own company so that you can have your employees whinning and complaining to you about how unfair you run your business
Vicky 15 years

Québec, Canada

#5 Sep 20, 2008
glk wrote:
if you don't like the way your company is being run, quit! Then start your own company so that you can have your employees whinning and complaining to you about how unfair you run your business
Comments like this is why Businesses are pulling out of Canada ,we should all take ownership in our company it will drive success>
glk

Midland, Canada

#6 Sep 22, 2008
I absolutely agree that we should all take ownership in our companies and take pride in the job we do, whatever that job may be. However, certifying a union in your workplace in not conducive to long-term employment and job security. On the contrary, unions are, simply put, an expense; they are antiquated. Employees must pay dues for a service they will rarely use and the company's incur the expense associated with grievances, etc. Indeed, it is unions that drive companies to pull out of Canada! If you are in need of proof, simply look around at all the empty buildings that used to have CAW employees working in them. Health and Safey legislation, employment standards, and human rights codes are adequate to ensure fair treatment for all.
TINA

Kitchener, Canada

#7 Nov 13, 2009
glk wrote:
I absolutely agree that we should all take ownership in our companies and take pride in the job we do, whatever that job may be. However, certifying a union in your workplace in not conducive to long-term employment and job security. On the contrary, unions are, simply put, an expense; they are antiquated. Employees must pay dues for a service they will rarely use and the company's incur the expense associated with grievances, etc. Indeed, it is unions that drive companies to pull out of Canada! If you are in need of proof, simply look around at all the empty buildings that used to have CAW employees working in them. Health and Safey legislation, employment standards, and human rights codes are adequate to ensure fair treatment for all.
if linamar is so fair why are there so many wrongful dismissal suits against them? Call any employment lawyer in the k-w area and they will tell you horror stories!
TINA

Kitchener, Canada

#8 Nov 13, 2009
Shame on you linamar!
I don't understand why these workers put up with these third world standards.
x employees and current ones you need to tell people what is going on and to stay away form this company.
Why doesn't anyone talk to the newspapers about how you people have unfairly been laid off over the last 2 years.
You need a union because it's way less than hiring a lawyer everytime you get unfairly fired. Worrying if your the next one to be laid off aka fired the next time you go in because the bosses brother wants your job is something that would never happen in my union job!
I am a licenced prof. and love my union and worth it's worth every penny!
Good luck!
Call the union!
Remember this is Canada guys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lnr Ppty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Creating Jobs for Ontario Families: Harper Gove... Jan '15 Guelph 1
News Ottawa urges companies to put more women on boards (Sep '13) Sep '13 local story do no... 1
News Linamar defends record on foreign workers at Gu... (Sep '13) Sep '13 local story do no... 1
News Looking for optimism on the TSX? Look at Linamar (Sep '13) Sep '13 local story do no... 1
News New Report Available: Linamar Corporation - SWO... (Sep '13) Sep '13 local story do no... 1
News Linamar Releases 2nd Quarter 2013 Interm Report (Sep '13) Sep '13 local story do no... 1
News Linamar's founding family is Guelph firm's larg... (Oct '12) Oct '12 twix1 1
More from around the web