End of line for fine furniture name

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Gary Rohrer hoisted the cherrywood end table from the showroom floor and turned it upside down.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Jan 17, 2009
Linda

Capitol Heights, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

It is a sad day when a dedicated family business must go out of business because of the greedy corporate giants who try and succeed at making money; but not giving the quality.
M Robertson

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

Why is the Sun always eager to point out negative news? Aren't their reporters able to find businesses that have hired workers recently? There are many businesses making a plethora of money today.
Danielle

Kirkland, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

Linda wrote:
It is a sad day when a dedicated family business must go out of business because of the greedy corporate giants who try and succeed at making money; but not giving the quality.
The people who really are to blame are us - the US citizens. You can't blame the "greedy corporate giants" they wouldn't be able to operate without the "greedy US citizens" who would rather save money and go to Walmart/Target etc.
elkie

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

With the prices of everything rising today, people just don't have $15,000 to buy high-end furniture. If given the choice, most people would love to buy this store's furniture as opposed to Walmart/Target but they just don't have the money anymore.
USA

Randallstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

I bought a new bedroom set this past summer. It was so poorly made that I sent it back and had to absorb a $400 restocking fee from a reputable(?) fine furniture store in Delta,Pa. Now we still use our 40 year old set that looks better than the returned set.
Mike The Satellite Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

Good Made-In-America furniture has
always been the benchmark for furniture
worldwide.$15000.00 is NOT the average
cost of well-crafted State-side furniture.

People refuse to do the math when
investing in pieces.

Good furniture will last for
GENERATIONS, while furniture
brought from Sam Walton Inc.,
IKEA (style WAY over substance),
and rinky-dink establishments
will show their true value when
they collapse under Aunt Mary's
fondness for cheesecake.
jeffro

Warsaw, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

America : RIP. I pay 17.00 an hour China pay 2.00....end
hawkeye

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

M Robertson wrote:
Why is the Sun always eager to point out negative news? Aren't their reporters able to find businesses that have hired workers recently? There are many businesses making a plethora of money today.
Negative news? I think it's just news. Many of us know Statton's furniture and reputation well. It was only sold through a few of the better retailers, many of which have disappeared also. I didn't know their business was dropping off, so this is news for me. I actually owned some of this furniture years ago and I've been to the factory too. It is truly heirloom quality that buyers cherish for generations. Yes, it is expensive, but I think "you get what you pay for". It's a question of priorities. For me, investing $15K in beautiful, hand-made, high quality furniture (with amazing resale value) that I could enjoy for the rest of my life is preferable to spending $15K++ for an automobile that might last 10 years, maybe, with almost no resale value. Again, that's my thinking only. But, it's still sad to hear the doors are closing for good.
Anthony Afterwit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

My family absolutely refuses to buy furniture from China. Our American made purchases will last a lifetime!
Jesse

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

Based on the main photo, it looks like their furniture never adapted to changing American tastes. Granted, there are plenty who prefer what I call "traditional" furniture, but even that has been modernized over the years. Although that piece he has his hand on, with the granite or marble top is more in line with the tastes of today. I only say this because they mention that profits have been hard to come by for years -- the big home improvement (which includes furniture) boom only ended in the last two years. Either way, it's sad to see another Maryland institution close down.
Anthony Afterwit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

elkie wrote:
With the prices of everything rising today, people just don't have $15,000 to buy high-end furniture. If given the choice, most people would love to buy this store's furniture as opposed to Walmart/Target but they just don't have the money anymore.
Even the Clinton's tried to take furniture from the White House to furnish their NY home. Nowadays, Slick Willy is doing very well with his income from speeches, appearances, etc.
Jesse

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

M Robertson wrote:
I have to agreed -- about negative news in general -- not just with the Sun.

The only positive news I've seen is that Jack Daniels sales are booming because everyone is depressed and getting drunk. A positive turned into a negative.

Let's focus on the mortgage refi boom. Or how auction houses that sell homes are booming. Or that even though foreclosures are bad for real estate in general, there are many real estate companies expanding by focusing on foreclosure sales.

Every negative has a positive. They say the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, so let's focus on what is positive.

The economy is mainly based on consumer fears. Consumer spending makes up the largest part of our economy. If we focus on the bad news, we're never going to realize when things improve and we can leave the cave.

Actually, it is our responsibility to make things better. The government, the banks and the likes of AIG have proven that we cannot rely on them to make the world a perfect place. We have to rely on ourselves.
Randy

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

jeffro wrote:
America : RIP. I pay 17.00 an hour China pay 2.00....end
Exactly. We cannot compete in the manufacturing segments in this global market. We must invest in businesses that require expertise that cannot be duplicated by a $2.00 an hour worker in China. Sad but true. America must work towards more and more technical businesses that are not labor driven such as steel, automotive, clothing, furniture, electronics, etc.

I don't pretend to possess the answers but I am smart enough to know we are trying to hold on to the good old days where the blue collar worker, with very little education could make enough money to support his family comfortably. Those days are gone and not coming back so the sooner we look forward and the brain trusts of this great country begin to carve out our niche in the global marketplace the sooner we can hand our children's children a better world than this mess we've made for ourselves. Generations from now they will be looking back and saying "With all at your disposal, THIS is what you came up with?".
NoDemPublican

Severna Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

Anthony Afterwit wrote:
<quoted text>Even the Clinton's tried to take furniture from the White House to furnish their NY home. Nowadays, Slick Willy is doing very well with his income from speeches, appearances, etc.
==========

Clinton may have left with the furniture but he also left with a couple of consecutive years of budget surpluses in place.

I've heard that Bush will be taking the aluminum tubes which were found in Iraq.
NoDemPublican

Severna Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

...and those tubes were a lot more expensive than the furniture.
Surf52

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

It is amazing that the sheep in this country will go out and spend 80 grand on an overpriced Mercedes due to the expectation of quality, but will shun every other well made item for Chinese junk. We deserve to have our economy in the toilet.
Mike

Millersville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2008

When the newspapers all file for bankruptcy, who will tell us when the last american company closes?
Brad Inman

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

This is a loss for the entire US, not just Hagerstown. Every time a US Co closes its doors we lose a little bit of our soul. Just a few years ago Hagerstown lost Mollers Organ co, which was another grand old name that stood for quality.
Che

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2009

Globalism at its best. Raise your hand if you have a 42" or larger LCD or plasma from Japan?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Legg Mason Discussions

Search the Legg Mason Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
After Credit Suisse downgrade, Legg shares fall (Sep '08) Mar '14 Moll 2
Legg Mason's Miller Redeemed as Housing Bull: M... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Raz Silberman 1
Gulbis, Odesnik advance at Legg Mason (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jim Tressor 1
Legg Mason lays off 24 (Apr '09) Apr '09 tet 2
The Worst Mutual Funds of 2008 (Jan '09) Jan '09 Rober Jeremias 1
Treasury will guarantee investors' principal to... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Phoenix 1
Legg Mason cuts SIVs by $1.7B (Dec '08) Dec '08 Taxes2009 1
•••
•••