Gay marriage ban stirs worries for bu...

Gay marriage ban stirs worries for businesses

There are 234 comments on the Indianapolis Star story from Mar 17, 2011, titled Gay marriage ban stirs worries for businesses. In it, Indianapolis Star reports that:

Testimony on a proposed same-sex marriage ban Wednesday left some lawmakers concerned that the measure would keep employers from offering domestic partner health benefits and hurt their ability to attract gay candidates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#1 Mar 17, 2011
it's true. at some point, we have to make the decision as to wether to take that great job in a homophobic state. there is a greater good here. dont' pay taxes to the homophobic state.
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Mar 17, 2011
thats right Indiana...IF this Hateful,Bigotry passes - I'll NEVER go to your state - EVER!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#3 Mar 17, 2011
from the article, "The sponsor of the measure, Rep. Eric Turner, R-Cicero, said Cummins and Lilly officials' fears are unfounded..... "It would not affect domestic partner benefits for public or private entities," Turner said.... He said states that already have passed the same "substantially similar" language do not expect such health plans to be affected"

WRONG!! He's either lying, stupid, or both (my money's on both).

That's EXACTLY what happened to Indiana's neighbor to the north. The minute Michigan's hate-based anti-family amendment was passed, that included the "or similar" language, the hate-mongers sued everyone they could and got the state to rescind all benefits for same-sex couples, stating that language as the reason why.

I remember my first grade teacher saying to us, "If you feel you have to lie to support your claim, you don't have a claim. All you have is a lie."

Why is that so hard for the Republicans to understand??? We got it in first grade!!
Zowie

Chicago, IL

#4 Mar 17, 2011
What balderdash! If there is any economic effects of Indiana joining the growing majority of states banning homosexual 'marriage' it would be positive!

Some state marriage amendments passed with more than 80% majorities. None have failed.
KRM472190

United States

#6 Mar 17, 2011
Disgusted American wrote:
thats right Indiana...IF this Hateful,Bigotry passes - I'll NEVER go to your state - EVER!
Who cares!
Recruiting Expectations

United States

#7 Mar 17, 2011
As a recruiter for a Fortune 500 company, I find todays graduates want to work in communities where they feel comfortable and accepted. I find it increasingly difficult to get workers to relocate to smaller midwest cities due to the preception that the local community are unfriendly.

These types of bills are sending a message to people that doesn't match the message we're trying to use to lure new workers. It's very frustraiting.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#8 Mar 17, 2011
Zowie wrote:
What balderdash! If there is any economic effects of Indiana joining the growing majority of states banning homosexual 'marriage' it would be positive!
Some state marriage amendments passed with more than 80% majorities. None have failed.
Read post #7. It has nothing to do with how many people vote in these crazy laws. It has to do with how many people will locate to a backwater, 18th century state, when there are 21st century states who will offer a reasonable atmosphere for forward thinking companies, and their employees.
PLEASE

United States

#9 Mar 17, 2011
Please, don't ever come to our wonderful state of Indiana! We will ban same sex marriages because we are a god fearing state with proper moral values. The sanctity of marriage is between a woman and a man. America was founded and fought for these same values. Leave America, if we disgust you so much. Go to wherever you need to, so you can marry your dog, if you like.
KUNG FU

Zionsville, IN

#10 Mar 17, 2011
I been in business for 5 years now and I got no worries at all. 2010 was a big year for me, and 2011 is going to be even bigger for me.
THEY

United States

#11 Mar 17, 2011
Any business that is worried about the gay marriage ban, is a business that caters only to gays. This discussion was started by gays to try and stir up support for gays,lol. LEAVE, we don't need nor do we want you. Feel free to seek employment, housing, and healthcare in another state of your choice. Goodbye!
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Mar 18, 2011
PLEASE wrote:
<quoted text> Please, don't ever come to our wonderful state of Indiana! We will ban same sex marriages because we are a god fearing state with proper moral values. The sanctity of marriage is between a woman and a man. America was founded and fought for these same values. Leave America, if we disgust you so much. Go to wherever you need to, so you can marry your dog, if you like.
Like to say that to my face? Id be more then happy supply my location & tell you WHERE I am (then we'll go from there)....and you can keep Indiana..no Thanks...another state in this Eff'd up country to avoid.
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Mar 18, 2011
PLEASE wrote:
<quoted text> Please, don't ever come to our wonderful state of Indiana! We will ban same sex marriages because we are a god fearing state with proper moral values. The sanctity of marriage is between a woman and a man. America was founded and fought for these same values. Leave America, if we disgust you so much. Go to wherever you need to, so you can marry your dog, if you like.
I'll shove your weff'ing Buy-bull down your throat!

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#15 Mar 18, 2011
PLEASE wrote:
This is exactly the attitude that keeps many people away. Basically, the attitude that "what I say is the way it should be, and if you think differently then I don't want to bother with you." Who'd want to live in a state where the majority thought like that?
Disgusted American

Milliken, CO

#16 Mar 18, 2011
ALL Queers leave Indiana!!
shecky

United States

#17 Mar 18, 2011
KUNG FU wrote:
I been in business for 5 years now and I got no worries at all. 2010 was a big year for me, and 2011 is going to be even bigger for me.
Sucking farts out of used semi-truck seats is a growth industry? Who knew?
Doctor Lester Sumerall

Milliken, CO

#18 Mar 18, 2011
Ban homosexuality before America is destroyed!!

Watch Channel-40 for God's Healing!!

See Jan and Paul Crouch!

“6 of one, 0110 of the other.”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#19 Mar 18, 2011
Why is this even up for debate? If marriage is a religious thing, then it has no business in the constitution period. If it's simply a matter of benefits between two people who pledge to cohabitate, why should they be denied?

Who's to say two people who love each other are doing anything wrong?
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Mar 18, 2011
Doctor Lester Sumerall wrote:
Ban homosexuality before America is destroyed!!
Watch Channel-40 for God's Healing!!
See Jan and Paul Crouch!
LOL ...wow ....Mental disease and deficients call themselves DR..? LOL Yea watch channel 40...for God's Healing ,OHHH and Most importantly - SEND MONEY $$$$$- cause we all know Lemmings NEVER think for themselves and NEED others to tell them what to do. LOL
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Mar 18, 2011
ALL Queers leave Indiana!!
so does that mean your dad is leaving Hayseedville,I mean Indiana?
TYPICAL

United States

#23 Mar 18, 2011
Slimey wrote:
Why is this even up for debate? If marriage is a religious thing, then it has no business in the constitution period. If it's simply a matter of benefits between two people who pledge to cohabitate, why should they be denied?
Who's to say two people who love each other are doing anything wrong?
Gay marriage isn't about two people professing their love for each other, its about forcing mainstream America to accept queer marriages. If you choose to be a freak, then enjoy your freakiness, we the people , don't want you. That's it, nothing more. Be a freak!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eli Lilly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Veritas Genetics draws $30 million in funding (Oct '16) Oct '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Icos to announce shareholder vote on Lilly bid (Jan '07) Jan '16 Evenstad 14
News Lilly to acquire Icos for $2 billion (Oct '06) Jan '16 Juan 30
News Lilly accused of price-fixing in Switzerland (Feb '09) Jan '16 Ellerby 17
News Icos leaders to get $68 million from company's ... (Nov '06) Jan '16 Madlem 20
News Eli Lilly: Experimental Alzheimer's drug shows ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 humanspirit 1
News Vivus Drug Helps Men Get Erections in 30 Minute... (Nov '09) Jun '15 Empty 16
More from around the web