Police: Well-dressed elderly man robs...

Police: Well-dressed elderly man robs Calif. bank

There are 26 comments on the KOMO-TV Seattle story from Sep 12, 2009, titled Police: Well-dressed elderly man robs Calif. bank. In it, KOMO-TV Seattle reports that:

San Diego police Sgt. Ray Battrick says the suspect on Saturday presented a note demanding money to a teller at the San Diego National Bank.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOMO-TV Seattle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Quite Frankly

Eden Prairie, MN

#1 Sep 12, 2009
Dress for success. And it's good to see seniors getting back on the job.

Break a leg!

Since: Mar 07

#2 Sep 12, 2009
Battrick says the oxygen tank was in a black bag and connected to the man's nose with plastic tubing.

Bet It was A Young Dude faking it,...

Since: Jun 09

San Diego, CA

#3 Sep 12, 2009
DLA FORM 1822 wrote:
Battrick says the oxygen tank was in a black bag and connected to the man's nose with plastic tubing.
Bet It was A Young Dude faking it,...
Wow, you must be one of the detectives working on the case, way to go!

Since: Mar 07

#4 Sep 12, 2009
obamessiah wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you must be one of the detectives working on the case, way to go!

I Could be a Paid by the Crook eyewitness, To Throw them off the Trail,...

yernogood-

“U missed the point and u still”

Since: Oct 08

don't no which way it went

#5 Sep 12, 2009
Are we sure Ed McMahon really died?

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

King Of Prussia, PA

#6 Sep 12, 2009
The police report the robber was apparently unarmed, but that was no ordinary oxygen tank. It was Anton Chigurh's pa, after all.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#7 Sep 12, 2009

Barbera Boxer says that well dressed people are doing things as a "diversion by the people, who frankly, want to hurt President" Brock O'Bama...

yernogood-

“U missed the point and u still”

Since: Oct 08

don't no which way it went

#12 Sep 13, 2009
Cafe de La Paix wrote:
Old men are dangerous; it doesn't matter to them what is going to happen to the world.
-----Bernard Shaw
How completely and utterly true. Who can blame them?

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#13 Sep 13, 2009
Cafe de La Paix wrote:
The darkest hour in any mans's life is when he sits down to plan how to get money without earning it.---- Horace Greeley
Sitting down to plan how to get money and then carrying out the plan, IS earning money.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#14 Sep 13, 2009
Cafe de La Paix wrote:
Old men are dangerous; it doesn't matter to them what is going to happen to the world.
-----Bernard Shaw
In the 1933 Ukraine, anybody, whether they were male or female, who possessed a butcher knife, was dangerous to anybody else that moved too slow.
Quite Frankly

Eden Prairie, MN

#15 Sep 13, 2009
Cafe de La Paix wrote:
The darkest hour in any mans's life is when he sits down to plan how to get money without earning it.---- Horace Greeley
Hey! It's great to see such scholarly sayings on a Sunday morning here in the land of 10,000 taxes!

So let me add to the pithiness, this pith--

"I grow old. I grow old.
I shall wear my trousers rolled."

(Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot.)
Proff Louie alternator

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Sep 13, 2009
Nice,,It's a good thing he was'nt wearing a bed pan...

“"you're not the boss of me"”

Since: Aug 09

yep, right, uh huh

#17 Sep 13, 2009
hey, many of us will be there in a few years when the Social Security fund dries up prior to OUR retirement.......jk

Since: Sep 09

United States

#18 Sep 13, 2009
They ain't caught him yet ?

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#19 Sep 13, 2009
Cafe de La Paix wrote:
-----Bernard Shaw
It is just like lifers and terminally ill persons. If you have life behind bars without parole or an incurable disease that is uncomfortable and will soon kill you anyway, then what do you have to lose?
Quite Frankly

Eden Prairie, MN

#20 Sep 13, 2009
JUDGE: Who do your rob banks?

WILLY SUTTON: Because that's where the money is.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#22 Sep 13, 2009
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
It is just like lifers and terminally ill persons. If you have life behind bars without parole or an incurable disease that is uncomfortable and will soon kill you anyway, then what do you have to lose?
not related to the thread, but I thought you'd like this story, I'm trying to spread it around as much as possible:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/us/14blood....

"The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as other phlebotomists in their state, but under a highly compressed schedule."

September 14, 2009

Officers’ New Tool Against D.W.I.: Syringe

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOISE, Idaho (AP)— When Officer Darryll Dowell of the Nampa Police Department is on patrol, he will pull up at a stoplight and start casing the vehicle next to him. Nowadays, his eyes will also focus on the driver’s arms, searching for a plump, bouncy vein.

“I was looking at people’s arms and hands, thinking,‘I could draw from that,’” Officer Dowell said.

The thought stems from training he and a select cadre of officers in Idaho and Texas have received in recent months in drawing blood from people suspected of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The aim of the federal program is to determine if drawing blood by law-enforcement officers can be an effective tool against drunken drivers and aid in their prosecution.

If the results seem promising after a year or two, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will encourage law-enforcement officers nationwide to undergo similar training.

The Supreme Court ruled in 1966 that the police could have blood tests forcibly done on a drunken-driving suspect without a warrant, as long as they were based on a reasonable suspicion that a suspect was intoxicated, and they were done after an arrest and carried out in a medically approved manner.

The practice of law-enforcement officers drawing blood, first done in Arizona in 1995, has raised concerns, though, about safety and the credibility of the evidence.

“I would imagine that a lot of people would be wary of having their blood drawn by an officer on the hood of their police vehicle,” said Steve Oberman, chairman of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers’ committee on driving while intoxicated.

For years, defense lawyers in Idaho advised clients to always refuse breath tests, Christine Starr, a prosecutor in Ada County, said. When the state toughened the penalties for refusing the tests a few years ago, the problem lessened, but it is still the main reason that drunken-driving cases go to trial in the Boise region, Ms. Starr said.

Idaho had a 20 percent breath test refusal rate in 2005, compared with 22 percent nationally, according to a study by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

Ms. Starr said she hoped the new system would cut down on the number of drunken-driving trials.

The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as other phlebotomists in their state, but under a highly compressed schedule. The officers are trained to take blood from the elbow crease, the forearm and the back of the hand. If none are accessible, they are instructed to take the suspect to a hospital for testing.

“....VETS”

Since: Jan 08

WELCOME HOME

#23 Sep 13, 2009
Cafe de La Paix wrote:
I hate to 'ruffle feathers' BUT, the 'old man' was like 6 foot 6 inches......duh...RED FLAG!
He disappeared.....duh......He can run like Hell...duh......
Old men are not usually that TALL.....much less 'slim and dressed' like the OLD MAN we saw.
Very nice MASK.....nice old suit, and 'hair' and the oxygen tank.....w/tubing.....and BLACK.....Nope........it had to be 'wired on the inside'......duh!
Doesn't make sense......It / HAS to be a friggin' high school student.....or a colllege student with alot of 'chutpah'......Go figure!
I have to ask , you got all of that from a "tall man/sweater/brown sports jacket/plastic tubing /connected to a black bag/.... interesting ...

I wonder if Bill Russell, 75 year old 6'9" or Willis Reed,67 year old 6'9" would agree on the short part.. or perhaps The oldest bank robber in the United States, 92-year-old J.L. Hunter Rountree,...

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#24 Sep 14, 2009
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text> not related to the thread, but I thought you'd like this story, I'm trying to spread it around as much as possible:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/us/14blood....
"The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as other phlebotomists in their state, but under a highly compressed schedule."
September 14, 2009
Officers’ New Tool Against D.W.I.: Syringe
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BOISE, Idaho (AP)— When Officer Darryll Dowell of the Nampa Police Department is on patrol, he will pull up at a stoplight and start casing the vehicle next to him. Nowadays, his eyes will also focus on the driver’s arms, searching for a plump, bouncy vein.
“I was looking at people’s arms and hands, thinking,‘I could draw from that,’” Officer Dowell said.
The thought stems from training he and a select cadre of officers in Idaho and Texas have received in recent months in drawing blood from people suspected of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The aim of the federal program is to determine if drawing blood by law-enforcement officers can be an effective tool against drunken drivers and aid in their prosecution.
If the results seem promising after a year or two, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will encourage law-enforcement officers nationwide to undergo similar training.
The Supreme Court ruled in 1966 that the police could have blood tests forcibly done on a drunken-driving suspect without a warrant, as long as they were based on a reasonable suspicion that a suspect was intoxicated, and they were done after an arrest and carried out in a medically approved manner.
The practice of law-enforcement officers drawing blood, first done in Arizona in 1995, has raised concerns, though, about safety and the credibility of the evidence.
“I would imagine that a lot of people would be wary of having their blood drawn by an officer on the hood of their police vehicle,” said Steve Oberman, chairman of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers’ committee on driving while intoxicated.
For years, defense lawyers in Idaho advised clients to always refuse breath tests, Christine Starr, a prosecutor in Ada County, said. When the state toughened the penalties for refusing the tests a few years ago, the problem lessened, but it is still the main reason that drunken-driving cases go to trial in the Boise region, Ms. Starr said.
Idaho had a 20 percent breath test refusal rate in 2005, compared with 22 percent nationally, according to a study by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.
Ms. Starr said she hoped the new system would cut down on the number of drunken-driving trials.
The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as other phlebotomists in their state, but under a highly compressed schedule. The officers are trained to take blood from the elbow crease, the forearm and the back of the hand. If none are accessible, they are instructed to take the suspect to a hospital for testing.
OMG! I have mixed feelings. On one hand, if it makes the roads safer, I can see it being done. But still, it sounds a bit Orwellian to me.
Quite Frankly

Eden Prairie, MN

#25 Sep 14, 2009
The headline sounds like the start of a stand-up comic routine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Jolla Pharmaceutical Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two murdered at Texas campsite are from Oceanside Nov '15 James McMillan 1
News Second Doctor Implicated In La Jolla Surgeon's ... (Apr '08) Jul '15 avoidthe biz 42
News Scouts' Nude Beach Hike (Feb '15) Feb '15 DILF 22
News Cub Scouts: Nudist beach invaded by young boys ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 nudistpersoalsorg 1
News Magnets attract attention in fight against depr... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Sheeree 2
News Home Bipolar Disorder Test Causes Stirs (Mar '08) Jan '14 Kitty 2
News Sea lion stench in San Diego: Shooting La Jolla... (Dec '13) Dec '13 ANIMAL LOVER 1
More from around the web