4 men sentenced in surfer's killing

4 men sentenced in surfer's killing

There are 191 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Sep 6, 2008, titled 4 men sentenced in surfer's killing. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

SAN DIEGO Four former high school friends were sentenced to between 90 and 349 days in jail yesterday for their roles in the fatal beating of Kauai-born professional surfer Emery Kauanui, far less time than ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
fit

United States

#2 Sep 6, 2008
they should have served life in prison since their victim lost his!
Mike

Lahaina, HI

#3 Sep 6, 2008
A new style of murder and manslaughter-no one is responsible in gang killings. The judge has a despicable, warped and blind eye to justice. He simply lacks any sense of justice. He is quoted above, sounds like a parent telling a 12 year old "don't do it again"
Pathetic.
Mike

Lahaina, HI

#4 Sep 6, 2008
Amended-the judge probably was afraid of these guys-with good reason. If he served them with justice-they obviously have developed their own sense of justice. Pathetic.

Since: Jul 08

Conroe, TX

#5 Sep 6, 2008
"You don't have to be a criminal street gang to be a bunch of bullies that together think they're stronger, tougher, smarter and can get away with murder," the judge said.
They were smarter than that judge because they just got away with MURDER.
GANG Beat someone to death and you get less than one year???
Travesty
foos ball

Honolulu, HI

#6 Sep 6, 2008
there are many sick judges in this world and now we can add one more to the list > California Superior Court Judge John Einhorn.
jaz

Aiea, HI

#7 Sep 6, 2008
90-349 DAYS!! i AM SICK TO MY STOMACH!
Bob

Del Mar, CA

#8 Sep 6, 2008
Another "Bleeding Heart Liberal Judge". Wonder how he would have sentenced them if it was his son that was killed.
jaz

Aiea, HI

#9 Sep 6, 2008
Imagine these admitted murderers will be on the loose in a few months.

Very scary!
Karen Gilmore

Weston, MA

#10 Sep 6, 2008
Outrageous, California has one of the worst judicial systems in the country. Seems like anyone can get away with murder, if they have enough money or come from the right town.
zoe

Aiea, HI

#11 Sep 6, 2008
Since when is beating someone to death involuntary?

Were they forced to kill him by some unseen force?

Darth Vader perhaps?

Since: Sep 08

Conroe, TX

#12 Sep 6, 2008
Here is a picture of the man who scolded the murderers and let them off of the murder.
Wow

Honolulu, HI

#13 Sep 6, 2008
It's time to start weeding out these bleeding heart, liberal, marshmellow, dipstick judges. Some people just don't belong in the general public. By the same token, some judges do not belong on the bench. We have too many of these types of judges here in Hawaii like give-a-killer-one-more-chance Sakamoto, let-a-sex-fiend-find-another-v ictom Gilmore, not-to-bright Town and etc etc etc. Dump all these junk judges.
williamf

United States

#14 Sep 6, 2008
Wow! It sure looks like these guys won with these "silly" sentances. I'll be sure never to surf in that area. I do think it's reasonable to assume the punishment for participating in the acts that caused the death of this man is more than "less than a year" tops! These bullys will be out there doing it again before long. Good one Judge...not.
Two steps behind

United States

#15 Sep 6, 2008
Only in California. Maybe somebody bought the judge and/or the judge is gay.
nanakulimama

Honolulu, HI

#16 Sep 6, 2008
Hah! and people say justice in Hawaii sucks! Come on 4 guys pound on one guy who unfortunately dies. 3 of them are sentenced with the longest term being less than a year. Is it because they look like clean cut kids! Hopefully, the judges' words will sink in but only time will tell. Oh well, with good behavior they're all probably getting out soon. After all jail space is limited you know and these kids have the rest of their lives to live out. Too bad there's one young man who won't get any older.

Peace and love to Emery's family. Be strong.
Papakolea Pete

Honolulu, HI

#17 Sep 6, 2008
I have followed this case. Seems very unfair to the victim and sends a bad message to the community concerning crimes of violence. This is a situation where you spend the money to build the "jail cell".
clone benson

Bryan, OH

#18 Sep 6, 2008
killing aman cause hes a better surfer,arent the waves free, what gives with this bull shit
clone benson

Bryan, OH

#19 Sep 6, 2008
i see the west needs cleaning up again, the law is coming and hell to , go figure
clone benson

Bryan, OH

#20 Sep 6, 2008
i own the waves, only when they creat, go figure
clone benson

Bryan, OH

#21 Sep 6, 2008
crest sorry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Jolla Pharmaceutical Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Second Doctor Implicated In La Jolla Surgeon's ... (Apr '08) Jul '15 avoidthe biz 42
News Scouts' Nude Beach Hike (Feb '15) Feb '15 DILF 22
News Cub Scouts: Nudist beach invaded by young boys ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 nudistpersoalsorg 1
News Magnets attract attention in fight against depr... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Sheeree 2
News Home Bipolar Disorder Test Causes Stirs (Mar '08) Jan '14 Kitty 2
News Sea lion stench in San Diego: Shooting La Jolla... (Dec '13) Dec '13 ANIMAL LOVER 1
News Bipolar gene test stirs debate (Mar '08) Sep '13 Eric 2
More from around the web