4 men sentenced in surfer's killing

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

SAN DIEGO Four former high school friends were sentenced to between 90 and 349 days in jail yesterday for their roles in the fatal beating of Kauai-born professional surfer Emery Kauanui, far less time than ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 191 Comments Last updated Dec 1, 2011
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
fit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

they should have served life in prison since their victim lost his!
Mike

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

A new style of murder and manslaughter-no one is responsible in gang killings. The judge has a despicable, warped and blind eye to justice. He simply lacks any sense of justice. He is quoted above, sounds like a parent telling a 12 year old "don't do it again"
Pathetic.
Mike

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Amended-the judge probably was afraid of these guys-with good reason. If he served them with justice-they obviously have developed their own sense of justice. Pathetic.

Since: Jul 08

Conroe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

"You don't have to be a criminal street gang to be a bunch of bullies that together think they're stronger, tougher, smarter and can get away with murder," the judge said.
They were smarter than that judge because they just got away with MURDER.
GANG Beat someone to death and you get less than one year???
Travesty
foos ball

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

there are many sick judges in this world and now we can add one more to the list > California Superior Court Judge John Einhorn.
jaz

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

90-349 DAYS!! i AM SICK TO MY STOMACH!
Bob

Del Mar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Another "Bleeding Heart Liberal Judge". Wonder how he would have sentenced them if it was his son that was killed.
jaz

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Imagine these admitted murderers will be on the loose in a few months.

Very scary!
Karen Gilmore

Watertown, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Outrageous, California has one of the worst judicial systems in the country. Seems like anyone can get away with murder, if they have enough money or come from the right town.
zoe

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Since when is beating someone to death involuntary?

Were they forced to kill him by some unseen force?

Darth Vader perhaps?

Since: Sep 08

Conroe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Here is a picture of the man who scolded the murderers and let them off of the murder.
Wow

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

It's time to start weeding out these bleeding heart, liberal, marshmellow, dipstick judges. Some people just don't belong in the general public. By the same token, some judges do not belong on the bench. We have too many of these types of judges here in Hawaii like give-a-killer-one-more-chance Sakamoto, let-a-sex-fiend-find-another-v ictom Gilmore, not-to-bright Town and etc etc etc. Dump all these junk judges.
williamf

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Wow! It sure looks like these guys won with these "silly" sentances. I'll be sure never to surf in that area. I do think it's reasonable to assume the punishment for participating in the acts that caused the death of this man is more than "less than a year" tops! These bullys will be out there doing it again before long. Good one Judge...not.
Two steps behind

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Only in California. Maybe somebody bought the judge and/or the judge is gay.
nanakulimama

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

Hah! and people say justice in Hawaii sucks! Come on 4 guys pound on one guy who unfortunately dies. 3 of them are sentenced with the longest term being less than a year. Is it because they look like clean cut kids! Hopefully, the judges' words will sink in but only time will tell. Oh well, with good behavior they're all probably getting out soon. After all jail space is limited you know and these kids have the rest of their lives to live out. Too bad there's one young man who won't get any older.

Peace and love to Emery's family. Be strong.
Papakolea Pete

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

I have followed this case. Seems very unfair to the victim and sends a bad message to the community concerning crimes of violence. This is a situation where you spend the money to build the "jail cell".
clone benson

Bryan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

Judged:

killing aman cause hes a better surfer,arent the waves free, what gives with this bull shit
clone benson

Bryan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

i see the west needs cleaning up again, the law is coming and hell to , go figure
clone benson

Bryan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

i own the waves, only when they creat, go figure
clone benson

Bryan, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2008

crest sorry

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent La Jolla Pharmaceutical Discussions

Search the La Jolla Pharmaceutical Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Magnets attract attention in fight against depr... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Sheeree 2
Home Bipolar Disorder Test Causes Stirs (Mar '08) Jan '14 Kitty 2
Sea lion stench in San Diego: Shooting La Jolla... (Dec '13) Dec '13 ANIMAL LOVER 1
Bipolar gene test stirs debate (Mar '08) Sep '13 Eric 2
Psychologist: San Diego Mayor Bob Filner (Democ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 EXPERT 6
Ann Romney makes surprise political remarks at ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Brandt Hardin 1
Millionaire Asks Santa For Girlfriend via Billb... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Grogan 11
•••
•••