Man who killed surfer with 1 punch ge...

Man who killed surfer with 1 punch gets 20 years

There are 100 comments on the Daily Breeze story from Feb 2, 2009, titled Man who killed surfer with 1 punch gets 20 years. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

A man who killed professional surfer Emery Kauanui with a single punch was sentenced Monday to 20 years to life in prison following a murder trial that captivated the seaside community of La Jolla.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
paula hurdle

Glendale, CA

#1 Feb 3, 2009
This story failed to mention the motive for the punch. What happened that the victim was hit. Without that info its hard to determine if the judgement was fair.
Hatman

Brea, CA

#2 Feb 3, 2009
Paula,

The LA Times has done about 50 stories on this case. Use google instead of complaining in the comment box. Not every article can be 3 pages long.

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#3 Feb 3, 2009
paula hurdle wrote:
This story failed to mention the motive for the punch. What happened that the victim was hit. Without that info its hard to determine if the judgement was fair.
Somebody punches somebody else that results in his death and you question whether the judgment by the court was fair? If I were a bad guy in court, I would specifically request for you to be on my jury.
50 year old

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Feb 3, 2009
I have been surfing for a long time and there was always a problem of people cutting you off, but when it comes to fighting about it, well thats plain stupid. I don't no what happened for the fight to happen but now this kid gets to sit in prison and think about it for a long time. Was it worth it, hell no !
Fair

Redondo Beach, CA

#5 Feb 3, 2009
paula hurdle wrote:
This story failed to mention the motive for the punch. What happened that the victim was hit. Without that info its hard to determine if the judgement was fair.
It was probably hard to judge if the fight was fair when all four men showed up at Emery's house too. But I guess if you have motive then we shouldn't judge you for beating someone.
sploco

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#7 Feb 3, 2009
Cravens was part of agroup of thugs who attacked the victim. He got what he deserved.

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#8 Feb 3, 2009
Sharkchow

AOL

#9 Feb 3, 2009
sploco wrote:
Cravens was part of agroup of thugs who attacked the victim. He got what he deserved.
Agree, I read one long article in the L.A. Times about what happened and there were several people interviewed who spoke about Cravens. He was the leader of a small group of rich boys who wanted to be thugs and had been intimidating and assaulting people in the area for awhile. Not sure, but don't think this attack had anything to do with surfing. Glad he is off the streets for at least a few years now.

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#11 Feb 3, 2009
One New Year's Eve in the early 1970s I was with 3 friends in a restaurant in Pasadena. Two other guys, one pretty drunk, overheard me say something to the waitress in Spanish. The drunk one said something like, "Don't speak "my" language" and poured his beer over my head. His buddy knew we were all bigger than they were (one of my friends was also a very mean looking biker "type") and made a very serious and successful effort to get the both of them out of the restaurant as quickly as possible. After, amongst the four of us we decided the guy was too screwed up and the risk of causing police intervention made it not worth starting a fight.

Since: Nov 08

Torrance, CA

#12 Feb 3, 2009
Paula Hurdle - You have a huge "hurdle" to get over...you my dear, are an idiot! It doesn't matter what the "reason" was, this bully is going to get his just deserts in the way of roomies for at least the next 12-15 yrs.! He'll be shown a thing or two about being tough, the food chain is about to begin. This was a tragedy, my best to the victim’s families.
Jake

Camarillo, CA

#13 Feb 3, 2009
First time I have heard of this case. I, too, wonderted WHY it happened in the first place. An article should TELL me such as opposed to Googling it.

I had a basic journalism course in high school. An article is supposed to included: WHO, WHY, WHERE, WHEN, and HOW. I sometimes wonder if some BREEZE reporters even had any training.

Since: Nov 08

Torrance, CA

#16 Feb 3, 2009
aj southbay wrote:
well geez i could stay here all day slamming idots i should have looked into this long ago.. this is better than springer or maybe thats because springer hasnt started yet. take stupid rose from pedro heres another idiot that says the "reason" doesnt matter. do you realize what an idiot you sound like saying the reason doesnt matter. in what world would the reason not matter? would that be the world of ignorance? anyways for the rest of intelligent society heres a really good story about it
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070...
Are you insane? It DOESN'T MATTER what the suppose reason was that this bully took it upon himself to hit anyone! I suppose you can give me a good reason for anyone to strike someone? I suppose you can give me a good reason why this self-proclaimed bully was able to terrorize anyone he felt like terrorizing? There is NO reason in the world why anyone should put their hands on someone else in this situation. Now, since you know what time Springer starts, must be a fan, I suggest you glue yourself to the tv.
A MOM

United States

#19 Feb 3, 2009
2 bad these YOUNG men morals have been fogged by alcohol. It’s a sad day when someone has to die because of stupidity!
HB Guy

El Segundo, CA

#20 Feb 3, 2009
Good sentence. The bully got what he deserved.
Rose...your are correct. There is no reason or excuse to punch someone unless, of course, it is self defence. I have been following this case and Cravens did not punch in self defence.
These boys just wanted to be bad asses. Stupid.
Instead he will be somebodys "punk" real soon.

Since: Nov 08

Torrance, CA

#21 Feb 3, 2009
aj southbay wrote:
ha ha thats funny you have to remember dummy this all started because we didnt know the whole story. let me break it down for stupid people. "Man who killed surfer with one punch gets 20 years" reading that header draws you in to the story, yet there was no story there was an incomplete story.this is why paula wrote what she wrote. now you come along and slam her because you obviously know the whole story but instead of filling her in or telling her where she can read the whole story you put her down. how are we to know hes a bully how are we to know he deserves it. are you catching my drift stupid. you cant make judgments without the fact and thats what paula wanted. now for your question sure i will clue you in... if this was self defense than it would have been ok but from this badly written story we dont know jack....kinda like you. have fun on your broom stupid and if you want some more i will be back this evening after work. hey i know slam me for my typing errors that will be a good one.
ps paula im 37 6'4" 225lbs and own a construction company...are you single? that was a joke no disrespect to the family. peace everyone...even the dummies.
AJ - now I understand why your name consists of 2 letters...this story has been followed since this tragedy occurred and the facts are all too public. You are too sorry of a fool (and too desperate for a date) to argue with. Run Paula, run!!
los angeles

Glendale, CA

#22 Feb 3, 2009
he died from drinking punch? i dont get it,,,,,,was it kool aid?
Jury

Redondo Beach, CA

#24 Feb 3, 2009
paula hurdle wrote:
This story failed to mention the motive for the punch. What happened that the victim was hit. Without that info its hard to determine if the judgement was fair.
Because I guess if you had more info in the article then you could have made a better judgment than the jury who was in court, hearing testimony, review evidence etc.

Since: Nov 08

Torrance, CA

#25 Feb 3, 2009
aj southbay wrote:
that was a joke stupid what are the odds paula is 5'10" blonde 125lbs and smoking hot. i love how you didnt have an answer. so slam me for using my initials instead of anthony james the 3rd or for not following every story while im abroad for the last two years. let me ask you one question stupid. if this guy doesnt have the right or as you say quote "self-proclaimed bully was able to terrorize anyone he felt like terrorizing" than what gives you the right to bully paula, tell me you self proclaimed crank. and dont try flipping the tables because all im doing is defending people from bullies like you. one last thing this all started bully rose from san pedro because this story doesnt tell the whole story and not all of us in fact many of us are hearing about it for the first time so knowing that think first before you CONTINUE to put your foot father down your throat. im done loading my trucks and im off to work plus im not gonna get caught up arguing with ignorant people. the family deserves better. take care self proclaimed crank
You are a classic, in my 70+ yrs. you are too ignorant for words. I'm going to give you a few helpful hints son: You should read up on the topic before giving your opinion, you've made absoltely no sense, Anthony James, III. Your opinion also shouldn't be based upon siding with someone because of how they look? Your opinion on this topic should pertain to the actual topic at hand. The only thing I'm slamming is people who don't see anything wrong with what this guy did and obviously has done for years, BULLYING. This time he took a life. So Mister No Neck, quit trying to be a big shot and learn to read, research and stay on topic. Now, go load your trucks or manage your construction company, whichever it is and quit with the attempt at hard core "old timers" speech, maybe if YOUR foot wasn't constantly blocking the airway in your own throat, you'd be able to get the oxygen to your brain! This Cravens guy is getting exactly what he deserves, if he makes it amongst the food chain, which I truly doubt. This was tragic topic from the very beginning for the victim and his family & friends.

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#26 Feb 3, 2009
Jury wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I guess if you had more info in the article then you could have made a better judgment than the jury who was in court, hearing testimony, review evidence etc.
The stupid OJ Simpson jury tried to make that case. Some said had they known at the time what they read in the papers later on they would have not found him innocent. I think it was crap and the whole bunch of them were useless. However, here the issue is not who did it, but the reason for it and your point is exactly right.
you got to be kidding

United States

#28 Feb 3, 2009
Sounds like he got what he deserves from the articles I have read. Does anyone know what happened to the other guys that were also charged

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

La Jolla Pharmaceutical Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scouts' Nude Beach Hike (Feb '15) Feb '17 Hiker Phart 23
News Two murdered at Texas campsite are from Oceanside (Nov '15) Nov '15 James McMillan 1
News Cub Scouts: Nudist beach invaded by young boys ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 nudistpersoalsorg 1
News Magnets attract attention in fight against depr... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Sheeree 2
News Home Bipolar Disorder Test Causes Stirs (Mar '08) Jan '14 Kitty 2
News Sea lion stench in San Diego: Shooting La Jolla... (Dec '13) Dec '13 ANIMAL LOVER 1
News Bipolar gene test stirs debate (Mar '08) Sep '13 Eric 2
More from around the web