First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Johnny

Maurertown, VA

#1 Oct 4, 2006
Did Whitby say no to ratify ? Was it based on the shelf ageement? Some body please respond.
Bill

Port Perry, Canada

#2 Oct 4, 2006
The company wanted too much. There was no vote. Yes it was based on a shelf aggreement. The talks are still ongoing.
Johnny

Maurertown, VA

#3 Oct 10, 2006
Any more movement on the contract in Whitby?
Bill

Canada

#4 Oct 14, 2006
Nothing is happening at all. No talks. I hope they dont talk til 2008 when our contract comes up. That will give the members a little more leverage. Lets see how it goes then. NO concesions.Make em start in the boardroom!!
Kitchener plant

Colton, CA

#5 Oct 14, 2006
Thanks Bill so much for keeping us informed. You're
our only means of information on Whitby.It seems,
even though we all pay union dues, only certain
people within the "click" are privy to vital
information. And, this is VITAL!!!! Our comittee
has been in talks with the company. They went in
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. No word on how it's
going. I hope they're not putting your plant up against ours....they know where your membership
stands.....now...what can they get from Kitchener.
More than ever we must all stand together!!!!!!
There is power in numbers. You're absolutely right..
start in the boardroom first before hitting the
little people who are the "heart and soul" of the
business...the people who put Lear on the map in the first place. Because they made mistakes in the
90's. Spent beyond their means in foolish aquisitions....we must pay the price????
Bob

United States

#6 Oct 16, 2006
This comunication is the best thing we have going for us, I am with Morristown on the 23rd of September we voted the contract down. They wanted to take away the reveiw with the bargaining committee any job transfer. This means they could move or out source any job without being questioned by the union. They had a .25 cent raise this year and a 500.00 bonus for the next two years. everything else stayed the same.
They do not meet again till the 23rd of October to renew a offer. I agree if cuts are needed it should be from all employees not just the few on the bottol of the pole. Last contract we took a lick on insurance, all the while the sallary got a raise. That is a slap in the face.
Demo Dick

Cambridge, Canada

#7 Oct 16, 2006
Lear St Thomas settled. They are getting a 25 cent raise every year for the next 3, they had an increase in pension and in their severence package. Their cost of living has been protected also. Heres a plant with 260 people and they are getting increases while the rest of us are getting bent over.

As for Kitchener's committee in talks with corperate, thats total and complete crap. I found out on the weekend from one of the union stewards that our committee has refused to go into talks until Whitby is settled.

This begs the question; where the hell's our committee been for that last few weeks and what have they been doing in the mean time if they aren't and haven't been in talks and haven't been in the plant at all?
Anon

Toronto, Canada

#8 Oct 17, 2006
Wow. Do you really think the stewards have been told anything? Gimme a break.

Don't believe everything you hear on the floor.....
Bill

Canada

#9 Oct 17, 2006
As I understand things, Corporate made another bid on the Zeta platform work (Camaro),without making a deal with the union.They had told us earlier that without a shelf agreement there would be no work. I have a feeling that the company is going to do a take it or leave it deal to the members.Fear tactics again..... .. Best
Bill

Canada

#10 Oct 18, 2006
UPDATE: Lear Whitby "unofficialy " anounced today that Johnston Controls had aquired the seats for the new Camaro.They made a huge production of it saying that all we can do now is keep our quality where it is and hope for the best. When a member asked as to when it would be official, the company spokesman didnt give a direct answer. Is this a scare tactic? Maybe. Maybe not. BTW JCI is just down the street from us. Hmm ........ Let me know your thoughts. Best
EDSOE

Brawley, CA

#11 Oct 18, 2006
Lear Kitchener. Our union just told us they "heard" that GM awarded the ZEDA platform seat assembly work to JCI. Also GM has not awarded the stamping and welding work that Lear Kitchener is pursuing.
whitby

Saint Thomas, Canada

#12 Oct 20, 2006
it's official JCI got the set contract for the Camaro.
John

Clearwater, FL

#13 Feb 19, 2007
just for the record, once you all realize that unions are a thing of the past everyone in the automotive business will be much better off. How much money does the CAW make annually...hundreds of millions of dollars, that could be going the workers in the industry..They are a business just the the automakers..its time for a new era, get rid of the labour unions, the do nothing but destroy our industry..They are a cancer.
lear kitchener

Toronto, Canada

#14 Feb 19, 2007
people at lear kitchener is in a drean world look what they $30.oo and hr what do other lear plants make
kp1333UAW1819

Redmond, WA

#15 Feb 19, 2007
lear kitchener wrote:
people at lear kitchener is in a drean world look what they $30.oo and hr what do other lear plants make
Keep in mind the tax base-if my information is correct Canada pays 41% in taxes. Which in turn, part goes toward medical coverage. I'm not sure they're making that much more than us when it's all said and done. Any info out there?

Since: Feb 07

United States

#16 Feb 19, 2007
kp1333UAW1819 wrote:
<quoted text> Keep in mind the tax base-if my information is correct Canada pays 41% in taxes. Which in turn, part goes toward medical coverage. I'm not sure they're making that much more than us when it's all said and done. Any info out there?
Last I read in Michigan we pay 28% in taxes and no medical. So I believe if you do the math they are still ahead of my $14.71 wages
Jonah

Clearwater, FL

#17 Apr 3, 2007
Johnson Controls won the seats for the next generation impala GMX 551 from Lear Whitby as well..Lear whitby is in big trouble.
Tim Woods

Ottawa, Canada

#18 Apr 3, 2007
Jonah wrote:
Johnson Controls won the seats for the next generation impala GMX 551 from Lear Whitby as well..Lear whitby is in big trouble.
Really, really big trouble. With a capital T Trouble.
Jonah

Clearwater, FL

#19 Apr 4, 2007
indeed, i work at JCI and they announced it 2 nights ago. THey had a chance to open their contract at Lear but it was voted down apparently.
Even Dozen

Rockville, MD

#20 Apr 5, 2007
Jonah wrote:
indeed, i work at JCI and they announced it 2 nights ago. THey had a chance to open their contract at Lear but it was voted down apparently.
Lear didn't vote on anything, we were just told we didn't get the business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lear Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whitby (Mar '07) Oct '16 Tvo 1,479
Alma IAC News (Mar '11) Oct '16 inmate 3
Lear Ajax (Jan '08) Sep '16 VOTE BRIAN 2,906
lear roscommon closing (Jun '09) Feb '16 Just say no 22
IAC Wauseon (Apr '09) Jan '16 Extension 1,312
Mendon, IAC (Dec '15) Dec '15 Diamonddeb 1
Kitchner (Nov '06) Dec '15 richard wippich 1,847
More from around the web