Paving the way

Paving the way

There are 100 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 26, 2008, titled Paving the way. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The state's fastest-growing county wants the state to speed up plans to expand I-69 in Hamilton County for its 100,000 daily commuters.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ready to ride

La Vergne, TN

#1 Jan 27, 2008
NOW is the time to add a light rail line to relieve traffic problems.
Barney Fife

Florence, KY

#2 Jan 27, 2008
People in Indiana reject additional highway construction projects and the jobs it creates. Furthermore, Indiana has no vision for a master transportation route plan (i.e developing additional arties in and out and around downtown for commuters)-that stuff requires thinking.

It would be nice if light rail were a serious option but, we love our colts (horsepower) similar to our Texas friends and don't currently pursue this aggressively enough.
Dennis_Daviess Co

United States

#3 Jan 27, 2008
Hamilton County does need this work done. As a past truck driver I can tell you first hand it is hard to get through that area when there is little traffic let alone in rush hour. That's when it becomes a nightmare just trying to drive through this area. You can ask any truck driver in the state what they think needs done first and we will all tell you the same thing. I-69 north of Indianapolis. So indot, you need to be looking at this again. I'm sure if you really try you could get something done quicker.
Stuart Kinney

Goodwell, OK

#4 Jan 27, 2008
Is the mass transit idea dead? No interurban or anything else? I kind of hoped that that old antique train in Fishers that goes up to Atlanta could be the genesis of a working electric train system to serve central Indiana and Indianapolis.

Hoosier/Home Place resident
HHmmm

Clayton, IN

#5 Jan 27, 2008
Just neuter every other male in Hamilton County. That should help the crowded highways in 2020 a little. Use a lottery system to pick the volunteers to be neutered.
Bull Hockey

Bethlehem, KY

#6 Jan 27, 2008
The whole reason INDOT is running behind on 465 is because they have decelerated the "Accelerate 465" project on the westside so much. You know the logic, they can't start the north side until the westside is done, so they slowed the westside down by breaking it up into 10 jobs to appease the local contractors. Don't look now folks, but the contractor that has done most all of the "fast track' jobs is sitting on the sideline waiting for work to be bid!
Excalibur

Erlanger, KY

#7 Jan 27, 2008
I guess Mitch would rather build a new highway (I-69 extension)which is a complete waste of money.

Fix the problems we currently have, and don't create new ones.

“PULL UP YOUR PANTS!”

Since: Mar 07

Mansfield, OH

#8 Jan 27, 2008
HHmmm wrote:
Just neuter every other male in Hamilton County. That should help the crowded highways in 2020 a little. Use a lottery system to pick the volunteers to be neutered.
Yeah neuter the males that will surely stop people from moving into Hamilton County. You are a genius.

The added lane on I-69 from 82nd street to west bound 465 have helped tremendously.
john smith

United States

#9 Jan 27, 2008
mass transit / lite rail is certainly do-able. there is a more or less abandoned, viable rail right of way that runs from northern hamilton county to downtown indy. there are hugh infra-structure issues to be addressed with this system, but the problems are not insurmountable by any means. there are several things keeping this option off the table, and two of them are; the public's collective voice, and the indiana transportation museum based in noblesville. the money is available for a viability study and it should be done. for an area tht touts itself as forward thinking and progressive, this is an option that is sadly overlooked. it shows a complete dis-regard by politicos to do what needs to be done. at $3.00 a gallon, and no relief on the horizon, why not have mass transit in central indiana. rail lines are clamoring for expansion and now is as good a time as any to get started at seriously doing this. perhaps it is past time.
Non-Elitist

Euclid, OH

#10 Jan 27, 2008
Oh Goodness! INDOT mislead us? I can hardley believe what I am hearing. Garsh, I don't pay attention untill it affects ME. Now the problem is in MY back yard and it's an emergency!
Huh

United States

#11 Jan 27, 2008
Well, maybe some potential Hamilton County snobs might look at the congestion there and decide some of the other few million acres in central Indiana are also worth living on.
Non-Elitist

Euclid, OH

#12 Jan 27, 2008
john smith wrote:
mass transit / lite rail is certainly do-able. there is a more or less abandoned, viable rail right of way that runs from northern hamilton county to downtown indy. there are hugh infra-structure issues to be addressed with this system, but the problems are not insurmountable by any means. there are several things keeping this option off the table, and two of them are; the public's collective voice, and the indiana transportation museum based in noblesville. the money is available for a viability study and it should be done. for an area tht touts itself as forward thinking and progressive, this is an option that is sadly overlooked. it shows a complete dis-regard by politicos to do what needs to be done. at $3.00 a gallon, and no relief on the horizon, why not have mass transit in central indiana. rail lines are clamoring for expansion and now is as good a time as any to get started at seriously doing this. perhaps it is past time.
You are absolutely correct Mr. Smith. INDOT touts "PROGRESS" but continues to do the same thing over and over again. As we can all see they are not capable of keeping up with themselves! Doing the same thing over and over again and producing the same results is insane. It's is past time for light rail (and we are not talking antiquated, rickety old railroad cars from the "old west" we are talking 21st century, high speed, light rail) Hell yea, I would partake in such worry free transportation. No more dealing with parking, parking garages, speeding tickets, CONGESTION! Sit back, read, listen to music, take a nap, work on my laptop - WHATEVER - and let someone else do the "driving". It's a no-brainer.
otis from mayberry

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jan 27, 2008
why don't they just build another inerstate that just completly bypasses hamilton county all together to stop all of the self righteous ultra conservatives and stop their godforsaking whining once and for all.....or you can just create a huge roundabout courtesy of mayor brailess from carmel,that should do it...Good day and Ha Ha....
lastrep

Columbus, IN

#14 Jan 27, 2008
How many of you people were opposed to the Commerce Connector that Daniels proposed?
Hmmph

Crawfordsville, IN

#15 Jan 27, 2008
Maybe all you people in Fishers should take up a collection and do it yourself. No one made you move out there. There are great homes/schools in Lawrence and Washington Townships. With gasoline at over $3/gallon and the commute a pain. Why don't you just move to Indy. Oh, that's right, you live in Utopia out there don't you?

“PULL UP YOUR PANTS!”

Mansfield, OH

#16 Jan 27, 2008
Not every one in Hamilton County or Fishers is a Snob. Some of us are Red Necks like you non-snobs, we just happen to live in the best part of central Indiana. Problem is everyone else envies us and wants to live here too lol. I say we make everyone gets a vasectomy that will cure the growth problem.

“When is recess”

Down home in Greene County

#17 Jan 27, 2008
INDOT is great at bait and switch.. After all the current director/leader was a Ross Perot #2 man and then our director of License Branch. Take that one to the edge of the fence. Any way-- didnt a majot revamping of the 116th to 96th JUST get completed. Was there no looking in to the future on THAT project. Or is it - get it done and start over?? Waste my money syndrom.
Hey

Noblesville, IN

#18 Jan 27, 2008
Note to Hamilton county. Quit building all the vinyl-villages on 1/32 of an acre. No one cares when bad planning is exposed. Must be paradise to put up with that traffic everyday, all in pursuit of the almighty tax dollar. Enjoy UTOPIA.
Eeeeewwww

Euclid, OH

#19 Jan 27, 2008
Dorn wrote:
Not every one in Hamilton County or Fishers is a Snob. Some of us are Red Necks like you non-snobs, we just happen to live in the best part of central Indiana. Problem is everyone else envies us and wants to live here too lol. I say we make everyone gets a vasectomy that will cure the growth problem.
"Dorn", If your picture is any indication - I make the motion that you be allowed to jump to the head of the neuter line!
sjones

United States

#20 Jan 27, 2008
Hmmph wrote:
Maybe all you people in Fishers should take up a collection and do it yourself. No one made you move out there. There are great homes/schools in Lawrence and Washington Townships. With gasoline at over $3/gallon and the commute a pain. Why don't you just move to Indy. Oh, that's right, you live in Utopia out there don't you?
Interesting comment. I live in Fishers because it is safe and we have plenty of policemen who are willing to help us. Can you say the same thing about Washington township any more especially the west end.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keystone Property Trust Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Keystone project takes shape (Jan '08) Jun '08 williamson run re... 80
News Carmel unveils final plans for Keystone reconst... (Mar '08) Mar '08 Bif and Buffy 7
News Proposed heavy truck ban lacks committee's backing (Dec '07) Dec '07 Stuart Kinney 28
News City's ready to cut ribbon on widened 116th Street (Aug '07) Aug '07 reality 32
More from around the web