'Light' cigarette suit certified as class action

Full story: Reuters

By Brad DorfmanCHICAGO - A lawsuit accusing tobacco companies of defrauding smokers into thinking "light" cigarettes were safer than regular brands can proceed as a class action, a federal judge in New York ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 220 Comments Last updated Oct 5, 2009
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Daryus Franklin

Milpitas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

Judged:

I've been caught up in the smoking habit for more then 20 years and because of the habit, when the "Lights" hit the market, I jump right on it. And as you said; a lighter cigarette, the lighter the risk, or at least that's the way I understood it.
Thanks for the opportunity to respond.

Daryus
Lynda

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

Daryus Franklin wrote:
I've been caught up in the smoking habit for more then 20 years and because of the habit, when the "Lights" hit the market, I jump right on it. And as you said; a lighter cigarette, the lighter the risk, or at least that's the way I understood it.
Thanks for the opportunity to respond.
Daryus
To me "light" meant milder taste. Though the lower tar and nicotine does indicate it wouldn't be as bad as a regular cigarrette, I can't say I ever considered it "safer" either. I do smoke lights also, but didn't switch because they were "lights", just kept switching every few years, and then did find the lighter taste more appealing to me.
METRO GAL

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

Judged:

This is a sue happy world! These people see dollar signs, that's all, just dollar signs! Give me a break!
Linda Minneapolis MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

Judged:

I have been smoking since I was 13 yrs old, years later "lights" came out saying lower tar and nicotine less harmful I remember the ads. I switched believing I was smoking a safer cigarette. I for one would like to become involved in the class action suit. Who do we contact?
Lynda

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2006

Linda Minneapolis MN wrote:
I have been smoking since I was 13 yrs old, years later "lights" came out saying lower tar and nicotine less harmful I remember the ads. I switched believing I was smoking a safer cigarette. I for one would like to become involved in the class action suit. Who do we contact?
Since when did "safer" anything, mean absolutely no harm would ever come to you? Take some responsibility for your actions. You still smoked them, willingly, and chose to believe you wouldn't be harmed.

Safer is no absolute claim that a product is harmless. Just as increased risk is no absolute claim of guaranteed disease.
Jerry

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2006

Linda Minneapolis MN wrote:

Linda I also would like to get involved
Jerry

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2006

I also would like to get involved
METRO GAL

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2006

LOL~~~Proves my point! Money hungry people out to sue! As Lynda said, "how about taking the responsibility for your own choices", instead of the greedy way out!
Daniel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2006

If lights were so safe, Ultra Lights must be harmless.
Carolyn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

I have been a smoker for over 20 years. I switched to Light cigarettes because I believed they were lower in tar and nicotine. My Mother and Father also switched for this reason. I lost both of My Parents to Lung Cancer in 2004. I had a fusion surgery done in 2004 on My back. The fusion did not take and I have contacted on Surgeon in person and talked to a Nurse in another office and was told by both of them that as long as I smoke They will not do surgery. They say there is less chance that the fusion will take if I smoke. The reason I have put all of the above information in is because there are people that think a person can just lay down the cigarettes and never pick them up again. Maybe it is easy for some people but not Me.
Carolyn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

Carolyn wrote:
I have been a smoker for over 20 years. I switched to Light cigarettes because I believed they were lower in tar and nicotine. My Mother and Father also switched for this reason. I lost both of My Parents to Lung Cancer in 2004. I had a fusion surgery done in 2004 on My back. The fusion did not take and I have contacted on Surgeon in person and talked to a Nurse in another office and was told by both of them that as long as I smoke They will not do surgery. They say there is less chance that the fusion will take if I smoke. The reason I have put all of the above information in is because there are people that think a person can just lay down the cigarettes and never pick them up again. Maybe it is easy for some people but not Me.
I am from Pinckneyville IL not Mulkeytown and I would like to be in on the suit.
Lynda

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

Carolyn wrote:
They are lower in tar and nicotine, but god only knows how many more chemicals were added to them for flavor either. But being lower in anything doesn't reduce any risk from inhaling smoke into your lungs. And yes, before you get all upset, I'm a smoker too. I know it's not easy to quit, but if someone really and truly wants to quit, it does help........but they have to really want it to succeed.

I'm no doctor, but I'm having a hard time with what you were told. Maybe because I'm fed up with every frigging hangnail and common cold being blamed on smoking when there is no absolute proof that smoking or SHS actually causes anything (might increase your risk IF your not healthy to start with, but is not solely the cause of anything), hell, they can't even say that smoking alone causes lung cancer, just that it increases your risk.
Randy Saylor

Mansfield Center, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2006

where do i sign
Vicki

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2006

When Winston Lights 100's came out I jumped right on the band wagon.

Where do you sign up.

I'm totaly disabled with only 26 per cent of my lungs left.
Virgnia Heinz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2006

I would like to join this class action suit. I am a unemployed senior citizen with COPD. Every minute of my life is a fight for breath. The medical costs are too high and I need help. Please advise how to join. Thank you.
Non Smoker

Salisbury, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2006

Health problems? Come on, stop making stuff up.

Lynda has assured me that there are no real health risks with smoking. At the most it "might" contribute to a pre-existing condition, but that is all.

Let's hear it for smoker's rights to smoke anywhere. Here, smoke another.
James

Hazleton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2006

I have had a double lung transplant July 11 2006 because I had developed Emphysema /COPD from smoking light cigarettes. How can I get involved in this class action lawsuit?
Norma Reeves

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2006

I would like to be involved in the suit
Norma Reeves

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2006

I am from Bogue Chitto Mississippi and would like to be in on the lawsuit.
Regina

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2006

I wish all of you Good Luck in your fight againt these tobacco companies. People sued Merck over Vioxx. This isn't any different. Companies should also take responsibility for the LIES, they tell the consumers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kraft Foods International Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wall Street Movers, 01/20: New York Times,... (Jan '10) Mar '14 Eddi 2
Clam Dip (Nov '09) Nov '13 Agreed 7
Kraft Foods to merge Nabisco with Hershey & Pla... (Dec '07) Aug '13 Michelle Gustin-A... 11
Outgoing Philip Morris Int'l CEO made $24 million (Mar '13) Mar '13 Tobacco News 1
How do you feel about no more Garlic Cheese? (Nov '08) Mar '13 Linda Oak Ridge TN 20
Philip Morris Int'l CEO Camilleri to step down (Mar '13) Mar '13 Cancer Cancer 1
Cigarette Manufacturer Maintains Traction with ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 jon 1

Search the Kraft Foods International Forum:
•••